Blastfurnace 2020: The Forcefield strikes back

Kavinsky

50 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Believe it or not, a "cold" front came through yesterday.  LOL, in August, that's why the temp right now is "only" 101° (and will probably go up at least another degree before sunset).  However you could feel it - temps this a.m. were down to 73° due to the drier air - from the north, to boot.  When I ran this a.m. it was noticably less oppressive.  Yeah yeah, ol' Mr. Sol did his thing today and the temps went up.  But at least this little weird thing (any front from the north is pretty unusual in August) that the high is still out west and with it centered there, the door opened for drier and well microscopically "cooler" weather.

One thing to look for in the next 2 weeks or so is this summer pattern of the high alternating between the 4 corners area and us is for it to finally poop out.  Then fall is here. Plus there is a purty good chance sumpin' from the Gulf will do sumpin' next week. Yeah when it comes to tropical weather the Austin forcefield laughs at storms, but at least it means spotty showers and better rain chances all around, along with a bit of slippage in temps.  I'm on board that the first of that trio out in the Atlantic is gonna head somewhere up here (the other likely up the Atlantic coast, and the third who knows, up your mom's tookus for all I know).

98 degrees with a 56 dew point is much more comfortable than 107 with an 80+ dew point.  

Yeah, just went outside to start cooling down the garage for school and it was damn pleasant out.  Very nice contrast to the last two mornings.  Beautiful star gazing as well.  

There is also, what sounds like, a hawk or falcon in the tall oaks between my southerly neighbor and myself.  Which freaked the fuck out of me when I walked through the backyard in the dark at 5am.  I'm sure it's just a vulture in the creekbed but it sounds pissed about having to be diurnal but get up early for food. 

Anyway, PhD horn or somebody...throw us a bone.  It's been an okay summer.  Not great, but nearly as bad as usual.  But tell me when we gonna get some rain again.  Might we get some backside precip off this Tropical System #13 coming up early next week?  I'd love to hear from you armchair weathermen about that system because that looks like our only good chance between now and Labor Day for some damn rainfall.  I see daytime highs creeping back up and the midday heat has just been unrelenting lately even by late August standards.  Thanks.  Just one more month of the truly brutal heat.  Onward...through the moisture

On 8/20/2020 at 6:06 AM, Lobo said:

Anyway, PhD horn or somebody...throw us a bone.  It's been an okay summer.  Not great, but nearly as bad as usual.  But tell me when we gonna get some rain again.  Might we get some backside precip off this Tropical System #13 coming up early next week?  I'd love to hear from you armchair weathermen about that system because that looks like our only good chance between now and Labor Day for some damn rainfall.  I see daytime highs creeping back up and the midday heat has just been unrelenting lately even by late August standards.  Thanks.  Just one more month of the truly brutal heat.  Onward...through the moisture

More climate Stockholm Syndrome. 

This has been one of the hottest Augusts on record. 

• Like 1

August has sucked but going back June, it was okay.   Not great.  But from your keyboard to god’s ears.  The moment you typed that a massive thunderstorm erupted over south Austin.  Lotsa rain and lotsa lightning.  

Time of year when I really wished I lived somewhere with distinct seasons. Playing around on weather.com, a good chunk of the country is experiencing their hottest weather of the year this weekend, but look to drop their highs and lows a good 10 degrees over the next 2 weeks. Meanwhile in Houston: 

8/23: 94/77.

9/6: 93/78.

On a related  note, I cannot wait for my trip to visit friends in Aspen third week of September. By then, average temps have typically dropped to 70/40 (compared to the sweltering 83/53 days of late August).

• Like 1

We had to drive to New Hampshire and be there for most of May.  Some nights got down into the 40s. For us, the Texas summer started late because we were gone. Then a nice June and a not so bad July. It feels like summer is just starting instead of heading into the deceptively cool sounding month of September. 

Now, if we get some peripheral hurricane rain, it will feel like an early end. I'll take it.

Edited by RomaVicta

7 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

We had to drive to New Hampshire and be there for most of May.  Some nights got down into the 40s.

I am pretty close to convincing my wife to consider moving to New England.   We are probably going to rent an RV next summer and visit that area, and stay with some relatives.

On 8/22/2020 at 6:20 AM, hornian said:

More climate Stockholm Syndrome. 

This has been one of the hottest Augusts on record. 

So what? It's also been above normal rain wise. Lakes are up in comparison to many summers. Vegetation is doing well. But boogie boogie boogie temperature temperature! It might be even hotter next summer too. So what?and it's not the hottest on record for some other Texas cities. So I guess Austin is it's own little world.

But you have a point, it's the annual summer heat thread where people complain about how hot the summer is. just like the winter thread when people complain about how cold it is.

And this isn't climate, it's weather.

Edited by phdhorn

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I am pretty close to convincing my wife to consider moving to New England.   We are probably going to rent an RV next summer and visit that area, and stay with some relatives.

I'm a Texan, and I love it up there. The small towns of New Hampshire are fabulous. The place looks like what you expect it to. I've never been through a brutal winter there. My beloved says it's dark at 430pm and not light until 9am. I believe it. The sun was coming up before 5:30 am at the end of May. 

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

I'm a Texan, and I love it up there. The small towns of New Hampshire are fabulous. The place looks like what you expect it to. I've never been through a brutal winter there. My beloved says it's dark at 430pm and not light until 9am. I believe it. The sun was coming up before 5:30 am at the end of May. 

When we were making treks to visit relatives out to West Texas over the last 15 years or so, and would stay in Alpine and hang out in that area, and it would be 10-15 degrees cooler than Austin, and you could sleep with the windows open at night and be comfortable, it was like "yeah, maybe we should think about this."

But then, it's like "holy shit, we're two hours away from a decent grocery store or a Walmart, and our cell phones have better internet than the local mom & pop ISP."

New England though, lot more stuff we could do in the summers when it's not 103 degrees.  Lots of camping, hiking, biking, etc. after work, and it's a part of the country we are not familiar with/have not exhausted all of the stuff to do (sure as hell not going to California or the West Coast in general, and I've lived in Florida, New England is the last place on the list).  And it's much more affordable than Austin.

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

When we were making treks to visit relatives out to West Texas over the last 15 years or so, and would stay in Alpine and hang out in that area, and it would be 10-15 degrees cooler than Austin, and you could sleep with the windows open at night and be comfortable, it was like "yeah, maybe we should think about this."

But then, it's like "holy shit, we're two hours away from a decent grocery store or a Walmart, and our cell phones have better internet than the local mom & pop ISP."

New England though, lot more stuff we could do in the summers when it's not 103 degrees.  Lots of camping, hiking, biking, etc. after work, and it's a part of the country we are not familiar with/have not exhausted all of the stuff to do (sure as hell not going to California or the West Coast in general, and I've lived in Florida, New England is the last place on the list).  And it's much more affordable than Austin.

We were in the Monadnock region near Peterborough. It can get unpleasant in August. Air conditioning isn't as common as here and it does get humid. Peterborough is fantastic.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, phdhorn said:

So what? It's also been above normal rain wise. Lakes are up in comparison to many summers. Vegetation is doing well. But boogie boogie boogie temperature temperature! It might be even hotter next summer too. So what?and it's not the hottest on record for some other Texas cities. So I guess Austin is it's own little world.

But you have a point, it's the annual summer heat thread where people complain about how hot the summer is. just like the winter thread when people complain about how cold it is.

And this isn't climate, it's weather.

Sorry... More weather Stockholm syndrome. 

Better?

The forecast says we *might* get rain on Wednesday and then it's back to the triple digits.

Sorely disappointed that it looks like Marco is expected to fizzle out before reaching CenTex and that Austin will likely get nothing (and like it) from Laura. We're going to start needing some rain and soon.

season_drought.png

Weather.com says next day in Austin with a day under 100 degrees for a high will be Sept. 5th.  You know...kickoff to pretend football season.  No day under 95 until at least past Labor Day.  I know some of y'all don't think 95 is hot, but it takes huge, tidal shifts in weather the last few years for us to have a day under 95 before mid-September and it takes a week with a fucking hurricane in it to get a drop of rain.  I'm pretty sure a third of the nation in shart brown/yellow is not a normal thing.  

As has been said before , 95 in September just seems to suck so much more than 95 in June despite it used to be the exact opposite.  

13 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Weather.com says next day in Austin with a day under 100 degrees for a high will be Sept. 5th.  You know...kickoff to pretend football season.  No day under 95 until at least past Labor Day.  I know some of y'all don't think 95 is hot, but it takes huge, tidal shifts in weather the last few years for us to have a day under 95 before mid-September and it takes a week with a fucking hurricane in it to get a drop of rain.  I'm pretty sure a third of the nation in shart brown/yellow is not a normal thing.  

As has been said before , 95 in September just seems to suck so much more than 95 in June despite it used to be the exact opposite.  

Weather Underground shows me only 2 days out of the next 10 hitting exactly 100, and none over that. Most days top out at 97. 

No one is saying that 95 is not hot. We're saying that this is a typical Texas August and is nothing to bitch about. The first half of the month was hot but since then has been about as average as they come.

Nobody's bitching dude, it's a thread literally entitled for people to talk about crappy hot weather.  Last week has certainly been better than first 2 weeks, I'm just worried it took that one weird event that PhDhorn described on Saturday and it'll take two nearby hurricanes to even give us a chance at rainfall later this week.  Just people venting man.  It just seems to the resident weather experts on here that our summers are, overall for the last 10-20 years, getting hotter and drier.  We need to detonate the blastfurnace using shart energy.

The Shart Brown/Yellow map clearly indicates that using a palate of shart-tastic colors.  

9 hours ago, Hate said:

Go stay in New England in January and then get back to us.

I spent two years in western North Dakota.  As a kid, which means I didn't legally have alcohol to help.  And there was no internet, and I did it with a fucking Intellivision (albeit, it was superior to the Atari 2600).

I can handle New England no problem.

• Haha 1

I spent two years in western North Dakota.  As a kid, which means I didn't legally have alcohol to help.  And there was no internet, and I did it with a fucking Intellivision (albeit, it was superior to the Atari 2600).
I can handle New England no problem.

I think New England averages twice the snowfall as North Dakota.

2 hours ago, Hate said:

I think New England averages twice the snowfall as North Dakota.

I would think it was more than that - the two years I was there, we had less than 30 inches, and something like only 20 days or so where they bothered to measure the snowfall (I was a bit of a weather nerd about the snow at the time, even kept logs).   It was a ridiculously low amount of snow, given that we had a stretch of three months below zero.

But then again, we were catching the cold off of the rockies, and we had no Great Lakes (or other really large bodies of water) around us to feed the moisture.

And that's the thing, I can handle snow, especially when the scenery is nice.  I can buy a blower, get a Subaru.  But the weeks on end of below zero temps, with very little snow, in what resembled the flatter parts of West Texas, the 7 months out of the year where night-time temps were at or below freezing for at least some part of the month, that sucked.

Several more days of misery ahead, but the long-term GFS and Euro models currently suggest improvement from the current trend of 7-8 degrees above normal to right around normal starting Labor Day Weekend (i. e. temps of 93/72 vs. 101/78), followed by legitimately pleasant conditions for the 9/8-12 span.

21 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

The heat is oppressive today.  Feels like it did a few weeks ago when we had that run of 105+ for a few days.  I was outside with one of my crews at 10 AM on top of a roof, and it was already blistering.  

It’s absolutely disgusting out.  107 w/117 heat index here in Hewitt.  We’re still 2.5 hours from peak heat.    Fuck 

4 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Several more days of misery ahead, but the long-term GFS and Euro models currently suggest improvement from the current trend of 7-8 degrees above normal to right around normal starting Labor Day Weekend (i. e. temps of 93/72 vs. 101/78), followed by legitimately pleasant conditions for the 9/8-12 span.

Hope the models are right. But it seems like any predictions beyond a week just default to "historical normal" so those 92s ten days out inevitably turn into 102s. Basically I'll believe "legitimately pleasant" when I actually experience a high below 90. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

I came off 290 to the 360 exit and noticed a cloud of humidity just hanging over the hills.

Feels like Miami. But without good Cuban sandwiches.

Thermometer in my car read 99 this afternoon in Naco. Was humid as fuck, too.  

But I had an awesome Cuban for lunch at Macklemore’s along with my first Karbachtoberfest of the year. 

Except for the swamp ass, it was a good day. 

42 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Do you guys realize that it’s possible to move to cooler weather?  Especially with work from home becoming more prevalent now.   Just have to adjust your “Texas is the best, by god” attitudes. Go spend a few years elsewhere. You can always come back. 

When I moved from Corpus Christi to Fort Myers for 3 years, it was hot there, so I came back. 

On 8/23/2020 at 11:05 AM, Storm the Field said:

Time of year when I really wished I lived somewhere with distinct seasons. Playing around on weather.com, a good chunk of the country is experiencing their hottest weather of the year this weekend, but look to drop their highs and lows a good 10 degrees over the next 2 weeks. Meanwhile in Houston: 

8/23: 94/77.

9/6: 93/78.

On a related  note, I cannot wait for my trip to visit friends in Aspen third week of September. By then, average temps have typically dropped to 70/40 (compared to the sweltering 83/53 days of late August).

Yep. 
I found out on my trip that 95 with no humidity doesn’t bother me at all. It’s way more peasant than 87 with humidity- for example- which we got a bunch of places up north. 
Houston’s 96 with high humidity, welcoming me back the other day was a nice middle finger. 

On 8/23/2020 at 6:37 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Watch out for low bridges!  Have fun. We were up there this year. It was warmer and more humid than we expected, and we ended up getting a portable AC, but it wasn’t texas hot or humid.