Blastfurnace 2020: The Forcefield strikes back

Kavinsky

30 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I just said, drinking while the other guy hits.  But yeah, by "drinking", I was really politely talking about time to piss.  Even when it's hot out, I just piss a lot when drinking beer.  Not so much with wine or cocktails, but I gotta take a leak after every two beers.  I know a two hour round is possible, there are a lot of us just asking innocent questions.  Some guys mentioned sweating out the beer, that probably explains a lot of it.  I don't play when it's this hot out, so I still play where every couple of beers you drink, that's a 3 minute delay to walk into the woods to piss and walk back out.    

I just think current popular golfers who are bragging about how quickly they play rounds of golf so as not to distract from how effective they are at their dayjobs are causing other people to lie in justifying it.  

I had no idea it’s become a thing to lie about how quickly you play golf. That seems... bizarre to me?  

• Like 1

Maybe I need to revisit the links.  I tried fishing the other day with my daughter and she doesn't mind the heat.  And I sucked it up because I wanted to show her another fun outing.  But this kinda heat of course, by the time we get out there at 9am, there's nothing biting.  If I'm gonna be miserable in the heat and be away from the wife and work, I may as well get slightly better at golf because it beats not catching jackshit for two hours.  

Edited by Lobo

1 minute ago, Orange&White said:

tenor.gif?itemid=14483168

Ha. I like my family (most of the time) 

let me rephrase that- I love my wife and part of the way I love her is to take over for her, or at a minimum help her take care of her ill mannered and hyperactive kids. She tells me I have to do this because they are half mine, but I’m still waiting on the dna tests. Until that we will just have to take her word for it I guess. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

Maybe I need to revisit the links.  I tried fishing the other day with my daughter and she doesn't mind the heat.  And I sucked it up because I wanted to show her another fun outing.  But this kinda heat of course, by the time we get out there at 9am, there's nothing biting.  If I'm gonna be miserable in the heat and be away from the wife and work, I may as well get slightly better at golf because it beats not catching jackshit for two hours.  

I ducking hate fishing and everything about it. Probably a post for the unpopular opinions you have thread. 

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

I just said, drinking while the other guy hits.  But yeah, by "drinking", I was really politely talking about time to piss.  Even when it's hot out, I just piss a lot when drinking beer.  Not so much with wine or cocktails, but I gotta take a leak after every two beers.  I know a two hour round is possible, there are a lot of us just asking innocent questions.  Some guys mentioned sweating out the beer, that probably explains a lot of it.  I don't play when it's this hot out, so I still play where every couple of beers you drink, that's a 3 minute delay to walk into the woods to piss and walk back out.    

I just think current popular golfers who are bragging about how quickly they play rounds of golf so as not to distract from how effective they are at their dayjobs are causing other people to lie in justifying it.  

I’m just saying I play by myself quite a bit, or with one buddy and we usually both have our own cart.  I shoot 84-89 most of the time.   But I’m not one that takes 7 warmup swings every shot.  I pull my cart to the ball, I get situated, and I hit the ball.   I’m playing to play, not playing to relax.  I want to get get a round in quickly, and I usually do.  That’s why I play the bulk of my golf in the summer when no one wants to play because it’s too hot.  

• Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 1:27 PM, dingleberryswitzer said:

You crazy dawg.  I can handle the heat as long as I'm inside in the AC, but I can't imagine standing around a golf course for 4 hours.

FIFM.....

I'm an old worn out bastard who has spent his whole life working in the furnace.

19 hours ago, Hate said:

I don't golf early...especially in the Houston area.  The humidity is unbelievable that early in the morning here.  You'll need to change your underwear and shirt by the 6th tee.  The later the better here.  

I just checked my pool which has no shade at all.  It is 92. I just put in the "aerator" to see if I can cool it off a little bit.  During the afternoon times, I can easily get to 95. 

Our pool contractor recommended putting 2 misters/sprayers in our pool plumbing to help cool the pool down.  At first I said no, not worried about it and he said the magic words...it won't cost you a dime.  After that came what would become magic words.. "do it".  I'm so glad we went with them, they do make a difference.

3 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

I’m just saying I play by myself quite a bit, or with one buddy and we usually both have our own cart.  I shoot 84-89 most of the time.   But I’m not one that takes 7 warmup swings every shot.  I pull my cart to the ball, I get situated, and I hit the ball.   I’m playing to play, not playing to relax.  I want to get get a round in quickly, and I usually do.  That’s why I play the bulk of my golf in the summer when no one wants to play because it’s too hot.  

Been able to do that lately? Heard the courses have been pretty full.

19 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Been able to do that lately? Heard the courses have been pretty full.

I played last Thursday at 3.  But I had had a few beers beforehand, not to mention I had walked my dog 6+ miles that morning, and I was flat busted by the 15th hole.   Finished the front 9 in just over 50 minutes.  

• Like 1

Don't know about you fucksticks, but I enjoy being on the course. While I don't play slow and prefer a smooth steady 3.5-4 hour round, I'm not anxious to get off the course. I like being there with my friends, drinking beer. Even if it's hot. Played yesterday. Tee'd off just after one o'clock here in Austin.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I played last Thursday at 3.  But I had had a few beers beforehand, not to mention I had walked my dog 6+ miles that morning, and I was flat busted by the 15th hole.   Finished the front 9 in just over 50 minutes.  

Cottonwood or are you one of them fancy Ridgewood types?

26 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Cottonwood or are you one of them fancy Ridgewood types?

I’m not fancy at all.  I’ll play Lake Waco if I know I can get a round in without spending all day there.  Supposedly Twin Rivers is fully opening back up on Friday.   It’s actually looking much better.  

28 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I’m not fancy at all.  I’ll play Lake Waco if I know I can get a round in without spending all day there.  Supposedly Twin Rivers is fully opening back up on Friday.   It’s actually looking much better.  

Yeah I saw that on Sicem365. I have a boss that has been a member out at Lake Waco for 30 years and he seems to like it. How is the condition of the regular course? Ever played the par 3?

6 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Yeah I saw that on Sicem365. I have a boss that has been a member out at Lake Waco for 30 years and he seems to like it. How is the condition of the regular course? Ever played the par 3?

It’s in decent enough shape.   Some of the greens have bad spots in them, but are rolling well otherwise.  It’s a decent little course for what it is.   

I absolutely love the par 3 course, but haven’t played it in several years (when the lake flooded a few years back, many of the par 3 holes were underwater and it took over a year for the greens to get back to snuff).   It’s a par 3 course where you can seriously use every iron in your bag, and even a 3 wood for some.  

10 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

It’s in decent enough shape.   Some of the greens have bad spots in them, but are rolling well otherwise.  It’s a decent little course for what it is.   

I absolutely love the par 3 course, but haven’t played it in several years (when the lake flooded a few years back, many of the par 3 holes were underwater and it took over a year for the greens to get back to snuff).   It’s a par 3 course where you can seriously use every iron in your bag, and even a 3 wood for some.  

I could use a driver on a putt putt course and be fine. Might have to try out the Par 3.

12 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

I’ve played 18 in under 90 minutes. Granted that was alone.

10 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

i went out by myself last week and got through the front 9 in 50 minutes last Thursday.  

So now we're down to 1:30 - 1:40 rounds.  Do you putt out?

10 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

So we've reached that point where every day is the same 97-101 and nights are all 76-80. We'll see a few days higher and lower but the monotony is here.

The usual normal. Even as the world collapses we can count on the Texas heat to shove a devil dick right up the culo.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

So we've reached that point where every day is the same 97-101 and nights are all 76-80. We'll see a few days higher and lower but the monotony is here.

PhDhorn explained it really well to me one time, but I'm old...I forget.  Why from October thru May, you can have these massive variations in temperatures from one week to another?  From Autumn through Spring, you can have a week with highs in the 50's and the next week, all highs in the 90's.  We can have a deep freeze in January, and two weeks later the high can be 85 degrees. A 60 degree swing.  But July & August, every single day will top out between 95-105, and the lows bottom out between 70-80.  Everyday with maybe 2-3 exceptions during that stretch (which really starts in late June and goes through much of September).  For almost 90 days, we only see a ten degree variance in high temperatures.  But for the rest of the year, we see massive swings in high temperatures.  I get it, summer is hot.  But why not more fluctuation?  Winter is cold, but  between Christmas and Saint Patrick's Day, we'll typically have double-digit days above 85 degrees.  Autumn and Spring are mild, but we regularly have light freezes and triple-digit days in November and April.  

Last October (usually a very steady and pleasant month weather-wise), we had in one week a daily high of 99, and then another daily high of 54.  In March we had a 37 degree high one day and just days later the daily high was 87.  But July and August just bob up and down within the same ten degree variance.  Why God, Why?!?!?

Edited by Lobo

Autumn is here.

Big high wiggled NE of us, we'll be on the edge.  Better chances of rain (don't get too excited, they've gone from metaphysically below zero to "so you're saying there's a chance...").  But the big thing is the icy chill you'll feel.

Temps will peak at mid 90's for the next few days.  Snowshoes and fur-lined parka weather.  Hell, the low this a.m. was a frigid 75°.

Yeah yeah bitch and moan, but any day we get temps not beyond human existence from mid-July through late August, it's a win.

High will be back, don't worry.

p.s. in light of this "how fast do you golf when it's hot" thread, I thought this was the best place to put news about summer heat.  Sorry if wrong thread.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Like 5

I believe it’s the same “high” that moves back and forth over the summer months. Sometimes it gets pushed east or west and we get chances of rain or a tropical system can get through. Sometimes it parks right on top of us with no real steering currents east or west of it and we bake. I could be wrong though.

• Like 1

Yup. There's a noticeable difference when it's 105 or some shit, but otherwise, same shit until mid October.

triple-digit days in November and April. 

Lol these have literally never happened in Austin, Dallas or Houston. San Antonio hit 100 in April once so that's cool. I'm sure it's happened a couple times in West Texas but regular is a bit of a stretch.

We busted 100 in February a few years back.  Or something like a few years. 

99 is the official high temp for Austin in February –

99 degrees

The record high temperature for February in Austin is 99 degrees, which occurred on February 21, 1996. Despite the record high near 100 degrees, it's only been 90 degrees in Austin a little more than a dozen times since 1897.

https://vocal.media/wander/hottest-temperature-record-for-each-month-of-the-year-for-austin-texas

I was off by one degree, my bad.  My macro point was that we have wide variances for so many months of the year.  But late June to late September vary in such a small band. The deviation from 95 is so incredibly rare.  But Most other months have crazy deltas.  

anyway, it’s hot out apparently.  At least the heat’s got COVID on the ropes.  And my grass.  And my sweat glands.  I could really use a haircut.  This mop on my head for the first few months wasn’t bad, but it’s gotten brutal on the last few weeks.  
our luck, they’re gonna find out the virus thrives on HVAC coolant and our wives are gonna set the thermostat for 85

38 minutes ago, Hate said:

99 is the official high temp for Austin in February –

99 degrees

The record high temperature for February in Austin is 99 degrees, which occurred on February 21, 1996. Despite the record high near 100 degrees, it's only been 90 degrees in Austin a little more than a dozen times since 1897.

https://vocal.media/wander/hottest-temperature-record-for-each-month-of-the-year-for-austin-texas

Hmm.   Could have sworn otherwise but I'm corrected. 

5 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

On average, do we have one or two more Highs that park over Austin and face fuck us with heat?

The answer is kind of complex because in actuality a high can be kind of like a long balloon. You squeeze one side and the other side blows up, and vice versa. That's really kind of how a high often "moves" in the summer. Because the jet and other factors prevent fronts from coming all the way down into Texas, and the southern United States, there's a essentially A long ridge a relatively higher pressure from the Western Atlantic all the way through to the Eastern Pacific. Since there are no really strong things to actually physically push this high away, it alternates its strongest parts from one end of the ridge to the other. So in this case if the high "moved" west, it's often more that factors encouraged the relative pressure to weaken over the Gulf coast so that strongest part of the high blob "moves" out west. And then the opposite occurs, where it weakens in the west and blows up (sort of pushes the blob) to the Gulf coast, i.e. us. Unfortunately for Texas, factors usually determine that the high will sit over us most of the summer. So it's not really a series of highs but one big one that keeps oscillating. 2007 was a really weird year, the big high virtually never formed so it was very wet and very cool if you remember.

Starting tomorrow, we'll be in a situation where the western part get stronger and we'll get about a week break, which means temperatures in the mid-90s, more humidity, and possibly even a stray shower. Today will be the last hot day of the current high before it weakens & blobs out west.

Once Autumn comes, the jet and steering currents actually do push highs away from us more and alternate with lows, which is why we get fronts. Lows just don't have the room to form most of the time in the middle of the summer around here, The air is too stable (I.e. hot!!) at all atmospheric levels, so there's just nothing to stir the atmosphere up and bring rain. That of course begins to change around mid September or early October. So right now we're under one big mother that pulses back and forth in the summer. And yes it'll stick around for another month easily.

Anyway, they'll be a bit of relief into the weekend as we get cooler (well, less slightly roasting hot I guess) than when that thing is pumping hot air down over us at its strongest. But it'll be back.

12 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

The answer is kind of complex because in actuality a high can be kind of like a long balloon. You squeeze one side and the other side blows up, and vice versa. That's really kind of how a high often "moves" in the summer. Because the jet and other factors prevent fronts from coming all the way down into Texas, and the southern United States, there's a essentially A long ridge a relatively higher pressure from the Western Atlantic all the way through to the Eastern Pacific. Since there are no really strong things to actually physically push this high away, it alternates its strongest parts from one end of the ridge to the other. So in this case if the high "moved" west, it's often more that factors encouraged the relative pressure to weaken over the Gulf coast so that strongest part of the high blob "moves" out west. And then the opposite occurs, where it weakens in the west and blows up (sort of pushes the blob) to the Gulf coast, i.e. us. Unfortunately for Texas, factors usually determine that the high will sit over us most of the summer. So it's not really a series of highs but one big one that keeps oscillating. 2007 was a really weird year, the big high virtually never formed so it was very wet and very cool if you remember.

Starting tomorrow, we'll be in a situation where the western part get stronger and we'll get about a week break, which means temperatures in the mid-90s, more humidity, and possibly even a stray shower. Today will be the last hot day of the current high before it weakens & blobs out west.

Once Autumn comes, the jet and steering currents actually do push highs away from us more and alternate with lows, which is why we get fronts. Lows just don't have the room to form most of the time in the middle of the summer around here, The air is too stable (I.e. hot!!) at all atmospheric levels, so there's just nothing to stir the atmosphere up and bring rain. That of course begins to change around mid September or early October. So right now we're under one big mother that pulses back and forth in the summer. And yes it'll stick around for another month easily.

Anyway, they'll be a bit of relief into the weekend as we get cooler (well, less slightly roasting hot I guess) than when that thing is pumping hot air down over us at its strongest. But it'll be back.

Yep.  Pretty much.   That’s why the only thing that can truly break the summer high in Texas is a hurricane. 

SqueeZing a long, hot ‘balloon’ ?   Really guys?   That’s what we’re going with and not one south Austin Mom joke?  This place is slipping. Big time.  

19 hours ago, phdhorn said:

That is a great synopsis pd but how does all of this effect the speed of an 18 hole round of golf?

• Like 1