Blastfurnace 2020: The Forcefield strikes back

Kavinsky

I'm sure I've made this point before, but the absolute worst part of the weather in Houston this time of year isn't necessarily the 100 degree temps and high humidity during the day, it's the fact that it never improves to tolerable. Get up before the sun or head outside at dusk and it's still gonna be in the 80's and swampy, feeling like it's 90+.

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, XYZ said:

Somebody told me that yesterday the weather man on TV said that this was the hottest first half of July ever. That can’t be right. For sure 2011 was hotter.

Well, holy shit, first half of July 2020 was indeed hotter than 2011. Can 2020 die already?

9 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

I'm sure I've made this point before, but the absolute worst part of the weather in Houston this time of year isn't necessarily the 100 degree temps and high humidity during the day, it's the fact that it never improves to tolerable. Get up before the sun or head outside at dusk and it's still gonna be in the 80's and swampy, feeling like it's 90+.

Yep. That’s what depresses me about the Houston summers without a doubt- there’s never a manageable moment that doesn’t suck for like 3 months. Not even at one in the morning can you comfortably drink a beer outside and think- this right here is very tolerable. 
it’s just degrees of face melting horror. 

9 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Well, it was built in a swamp.

Wow, late July??????

Temps will be lower than average a couple of the next few days as "stuff moves in from the coast."  As discussed here many times, our summer rains are almost always dependent on coastal happenings, not from the north, south, or west.  The thing moving in for the weekend, even if it bombs out for rain (which I seriously doubt) will provide enough clouds and uniform moisture to keep 100's away, even high 90's.  

Of course I've seen this play before, and it's so easy this hottest time of the year (from now through 1st week of August) for temps to blow past forecasts, so I'd still give a day 100°+ a 60% chance, especially now in the Hell's Corner period.  But to even have forecasts which aren't triple digits for the next 5-6 days, is great.  Hopefully these forecast temps won't be laughable but I think they'll hold up.  Autumn in July!  

• 2 weeks later...
It’s August in the Houston area, 5:00 PM and I’m chilling outside without breaking a sweat. This isn’t normal. 

From Austin, but lived/worked in Houston for about ten years before eventually moving to the hill country area west of Austin. It’s nice out here, but in all honesty I’d take Houston all day over the shit that is going down in the city of Austin.

3 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Don’t forget about the out of nowhere pop up thunderstorm right when you get the mattresses loaded 

Yeah, and that kinda soaking is just gonna make them rain more.  I mean, even with the most accurate mattress scale, you'd be hard pressed to determine what makes a mattress more heavily saturated?  A Texas hurricane or a night with South Austin's Mom.  Obviously I'm getting a lot of grant money for this and that.  

From Austin, but lived/worked in Houston for about ten years before eventually moving to the hill country area west of Austin. It’s nice out here, but in all honesty I’d take Houston all day over the shit that is going down in the city of Austin.
Lol wait did you seriously try to CR a weather thread? Impressive.
  • Haha 1

On 7/21/2020 at 8:41 AM, phdhorn said:

Wow, late July??????

Temps will be lower than average a couple of the next few days as "stuff moves in from the coast."  As discussed here many times, our summer rains are almost always dependent on coastal happenings, not from the north, south, or west.  The thing moving in for the weekend, even if it bombs out for rain (which I seriously doubt) will provide enough clouds and uniform moisture to keep 100's away, even high 90's.  

Of course I've seen this play before, and it's so easy this hottest time of the year (from now through 1st week of August) for temps to blow past forecasts, so I'd still give a day 100°+ a 60% chance, especially now in the Hell's Corner period.  But to even have forecasts which aren't triple digits for the next 5-6 days, is great.  Hopefully these forecast temps won't be laughable but I think they'll hold up.  Autumn in July!  

We're going to have a nice little streak of 100 degree days this upcoming week, but we've already reached the high point of the summer and the average high is dropping. Not a bad little summer so far at all.

On 8/6/2020 at 6:03 AM, gmr548 said:
On 8/4/2020 at 8:16 AM, Texas_Rocks said:

Lol wait did you seriously try to CR a weather thread? Impressive.

That did indeed happen. Pretty well done. 

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Hotter than fuckballs today and loving it. 

Yep.  Just got a new hotbox welded onto my backyard smoker yesterday.  It’s been down for a few months.  Naturally I’m smoking a few racks of St Louis & a whole chicken, along with some sweet potatoes and other rabbit food.   Blastfurnace be damned.  

• Like 2

On 8/9/2020 at 4:55 PM, hornian said:

Considering shit would be roughly body temp, I’m going to say the proper phrase for August in Texas is “it’s hotter than shit.”

Yeah. I was going to remark that it was "as hot as piss" to a coworker earlier and before I said it I realized that, actually, it's hotter.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, jettrink said:

Seeing a bird of any type in this heat is rare.  However, I just saw a Mockingbird panting!  The State bird panting.

Give it a beer. And to the other poster, give the dog a beer. 

Grilled out, drank cold beer and water and played an hour of ball with my girlfriends Collie mix. She has more hair than your wife (dog not GF). Shit I sweated worse going up to the ILAS library in October some years. 

It is Texas. It is August. What the fuck you expect? 

On 7/17/2020 at 10:47 AM, Storm the Field said:

Agreed.  Used to head out for work many, many times at 3-4AM and it's as if the swamp never relents. It'd be 82-83 degrees and death humidity.   There was no relief.

Edited by slorch

I'm supposed to see her tomorrow night.  Car is in the shop, don't want to get in an Uber, so I'm walking.  either way, my balls gonna be drippin' deep

I assume she lives in South Austin, where I am, but I don't know.  Turns out that guy has been way the fuck up on Allandale/Shoal Creek this whole time.  I've been fucking whatever older woman lives down here this whole time thinking I was getting revenge on him.  Just some poor lady who sorta recognizes his Bruce Springsteen avatar.  I should call her.  

for realz---is there any hope for rain in the next 10 days?  I ain't seeing shit on the forecasts.  I never thought I'd long for 95 degree days.  But the last two weeks and the upcoming two weeks are making me elated for that prospect.  Heat index is supposed to be 115 tomorrow.  If I wake up with the chills, somebody swab me.  

Edited by Lobo

8 minutes ago, texhorn said:

My station is saying 107 today. So I guess it’ll actually be 110 tomorrow based on the forecast?

Hmm maybe I need a new weather app. Weather.com powers the android one and it has it at 104 - but KXAN and Accuweather have it at 107.

I beleive it. 

1 hour ago, Orange&White said:

Just played 18 holes and the thermometer on the clubhouse said 108.

Is the time to play 18 holes still a discussion point? Played a twosome at LakeCliff in 2:53. Shot an 82 after double bogeying the last two fucking holes.

That’s a solid clip 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just played 18 holes and the thermometer on the clubhouse said 108.
Is the time to play 18 holes still a discussion point? Played a twosome at LakeCliff in 2:53. Shot an 82 after double bogeying the last two fucking holes.

Golf is on hiatus until September.