Texas basketball 2020-21: Not even Shaka can fuck this up...right?

Goo Punch

LMAO, three seconds of research and i'm already completely fucking over this SMU guy

SMU's 2020 AdjUsted Tempo: 64.8 (#331 nationally)

2019 Adjusted Tempo: 65.0 (#310 nationally)

2018 Adjusted Tempo: 64.3 (#336 nationally)

Fuck yeah!!! More interminable possessions that end in a terrible 3-point attempt, Shaka Smart style baby!!!

edit: they also turned the ball over on 20% of their offensive possessions and shot 32% from three as a team. so of course this is the offensive guru that Shaka has hired. fuck Shaka Smart.

Edited by shadow_operative

Only Derka would think a coach hired by Greg Marshall (on his final 4 staff) and Larry Brown is a terrible hire. 

I get Shaka has underachieved here but almost everyone in the industry will consider KT Brown a very good hire. KT Brown is such a terrible coach two HOF type coaches wanted him on their staff. 

Edited by texasstrong12

49 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Only Derka would think a coach hired by Greg Marshall (on his final 4 staff) and Larry Brown is a terrible hire. 

yeah, only me and everyone else who is tired of watching Shaka Smart's slow, low scoring, inept offense. how uniquely derka of me to be unenthused to find out that this guy supposedly runs and orchestrates an offense that is painfully slow, that sucks at shooting threes, and that turns the ball over a ton. ugh, i'm the worst. 

also, you come into this thread claiming that this guy who nobody has ever heard of is going to be some great hire because he's been the architect of SMU's offense, and yet i can't find anything on the internet at all that says that he's an offensive assistant- just that he's a recruiter. where are you even getting your info from? or did you just do your usual Shaka Smart deepthroat routine, saw that we were hiring this guy, found SMU's best stat on kenpom, and then just claimed that it's all because of him? i'm guessing that i know the answer.

also, linking us to your personal twitter and trying to pass it off as some sort of informative CBB account is beyond lame. do you actually have anything substantive and original to say about this guy? any legitimate knowledge of what he's going to bring to the table, with any references that you can cite? because if not, then fuck off somewhere else like HF where the whole "every decision Texas makes is perfect" shtick plays.

34 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Probably taking the same route at Yaklich. Coach at Texas for a year or two and then transition to a head coaching gig. 

who is this illiterate person you keep quoting, and why do we care about some grammatically butchered tweet he made four years ago claiming that this KT mofo is gonna be one dad gum helluva HC Mofo soon?

and for the 1,000th time, stop pissing and whining at every post i make. you'd think your track record of opining and prognosticating during the shaka smart era would be enough to see you resign from this board in shame, but instead you just insist on tying yourself to that same shipping pole. just stop already. 

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

yeah, only me and everyone else who is tired of watching Shaka Smart's slow, low scoring, inept offense. how dare i be unenthused to find out that this guy supposedly runs and orchestrates an offense that is painfully slow, that sucks at shooting threes, and that turns the ball over a ton. 

also, you come into this thread claiming that this guy who nobody has ever heard of is going to be some great hire because he's been the architect of SMU's offense, and yet i can't find anything on the internet at all that says that he's an offensive assistant- just that he's a recruiter. where are you even getting your info from? or did you just do your usual Shaka Smart deepthroat routine, sas that we were hiring this guy, found SMU's best stat on kenpom, and then just claimed that it's all because of him? i think i know the answer.

1) I don't know Turner's exact role with the offense but I know he's involved. At least according to the SMU's 247 board. KT Turner has been rumored at Texas for some time even back to the Rick Barnes days so I've followed SMU's basketball boards for some time now. I'm sure the Rick Barnes connection will give you a boner. For such a shitty coach why did your god (cough cough Barnes) also have interest in Turner? 

2) I have no clue how you can call a coach a "no name coach" when two of the best coaches in college basketball wanted him on staff in Marshall and Larry Brown. I get you hate Shaka but I mean come on. 

3) I hope we play at a faster tempo but that doesn't disprove the argument that SMU had 5 top 40 offenses in the last 6 seasons with Turner as their associate head coach. Bottom line, is SMU has been producing good offenses with Turner on staff. It's almost like Larry Brown might have known he was a good coach. 

4) I'll be the first to criticize Shaka if he promotes Cody Hatt for the other assistant position. So "I think I know the answer" is dumb. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

who is this illiterate person you keep quoting, and why do we care about some grammatically butchered tweet he made four years ago claiming that this KT mofo is gonna be one dad gum helluva HC Mofo soon?

and for the 1,000th time, stop pissing and whining at every post i make. you'd think your track record of opining and prognosticating during the shaka smart era would be enough to see you resign from this board in shame, but instead you just insist on tying yourself to that same shipping pole. just stop already. 

Nah. I know Shaka has underachieved and I've said countless times that he needs to win next year or he should be fired. I also know that every hire he makes isn't terrible. 

You can't have a rational discussion about anything Shaka related. KJ Adams proves this point as does this. 

I never wanted Herman as the HC but you don't see me going into every thread bitching about everything Herman related. It's almost like coaches that I might not like or might disagree philosophically with can still make good hires/decisions. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 2

lmao at you telling anyone else that they can't be rational when it comes to shaka, and a double LOL at the idea that i was the one who wasn't having a rational conversation re: KJ Adams' recruitment here. 

Me: (knowing exactly what went down between UT and KJ but using somewhat ambiguous language so as not to reveal any inside info or betray anyone's trust): Yeah, I don't think we just suddenly stopped recruiting a guy right before he chose Kansas, i'm pretty sure our interest in him dropped when he made it clear that he wasn't interested in Texas."

Your crew: Ay diss fucc boi Goo Punch gonna get me to get my cousin an nem to sit out da whole college football season cuz mah cuzin is a FOOTBALL STARTER who iz BFF wit da basketball team fucc boi DEY DO WUT I SAY. also i axxed my cuzin bout goo punch and he said he ain't nobody but a jersey chaser so fucc what he say 

^^^^
literally. that's literally what happened in that discussion. what's crazy is that i actually believe that you believe the things that you say. 

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

lmao at you telling anyone else that they can't be rational when it comes to shaka, and a double LOL at the idea that i was the one who wasn't having a rational conversation re: KJ Adams' recruitment here. 

Me: (knowing exactly what went down between UT and KJ but using ambiguous language so as not to reveal any inside info or betray anyone's trust: "Yeah, I don't think we just suddenly stopped recruiting a guy right before he chose Kansas, i'm pretty sure our interest in him dropped when he made it clear that he wasn't interested in Texas."

Your crew; Ay diss fucc boi Goo Punch gonna get me to get my cousin an nem to sit out da whole college football season cuz mah cuzin is a FOOTBALL STARTER who iz BFF wit da basketball team fucc boi DEY DO WUT I SAY. also i axxed my cuzin bout goo punch and he said he ain't nobody but a jersey chaser so fucc what he say

^^^^
literally. that's literally what happened in that discussion. what's. easy is that i actually believe that you believe the things you say. 

Lol that you think you could have a rational conversation about KJ when you still refer to him as a "must get type." You're the only one that thinks that. Nobody in the recruiting industry thinks that which is why he's ranked where he is. 

And for the record I think KJ Adams is a good player but he's nowhere close to the 5 star player most projected him as. Only you still believe that because you're biased. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

but listen, fuck all this bullshit bickering, i'm tired of you bobbing and weaving your way out of having to backup anything you by simply starting some argument with me. aside from "look who's hired him before!!!", explain to me why you are so high on this coach, using stats, facts, and empirical and anecdotal evidence. my reasons for being underwhelmed have been clearly stated. now it's your turn to explain to us why this is such a great hire. go.

nah i'm actually gonna need these KJ Adams receipts. 

7 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Lol that you think you could have a rational conversation about KJ when you still refer to him as a "must get type." 

And for the record I think KJ Adams is a good player but he's nowhere close to the 5 star player most projected him as. Only you still believe that because you're biased. 

i still refer to him as a "must-get type?" i "still say he's a five star"? you are just making shit up now. but again, i believe that you believe the bullshit that you type. i haven't even made very much commentary on him as a player at all in fact. can you quote me saying that i think he's a five star? no you cannot. so where do you come off saying this shit?

13 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

but listen, fuck all this bullshit bickering, i'm tired of you bobbing and weaving your way out of having to backup anything you by simply starting some argument with me. aside from "look who's hired him before!!!", explain to me why you are so high on this coach, using stats, facts, and empirical and anecdotal evidence. my reasons for being underwhelmed have been clearly stated. now it's your turn to explain to us why this is such a great hire. go. 

1) Turner was hired by two of the best college coaches in the game in Gregg Marshall and Larry Brown. You don't think that means anything? 

2) Turner has known Texas connections in recruiting and SMU has recruited way above their weight. 

3) Everything I've read indicates that Turner is a plus recruiter. 

4) Regardless of style, SMU has produced 5 top 40 offenses in the last 6 years. In the same amount of time Texas has produced 1. We can debate over Turner's role and style of play but you don't think that's a positive? 

5) Turner has been very active on the transfer market which I hope incentivizes Shaka to take the same route. This could be especially valuable if Shaka returns and there is a bunch of roster turnover. 

Also, I'm not sure I would say it's a "great hire". I think it's a very good hire but maybe I'm playing semantics. 

Edited by texasstrong12

16 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

nah i'm actually gonna need these KJ Adams receipts. 

Do you actually think I'm going to go search these old posts when you've been hyping KJ Adams for years now? I mean come on dude. You've had a boner for KJ Adams since like 2018 and it's obvious you still think he's a 5 star type player. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

1) Turner was hired by two of the best college coaches in the game in Gregg Marshall and Larry Brown. You don't think that means anything? 

2) Turner has known Texas connections in recruiting and SMU has recruited way above their weight. 

3) Everything I've read indicates that Turner is a plus recruiter. 

4) Regardless of style, SMU has produced 5 top 40 offenses in the last 6 years. In the same amount of time Texas has produced 1. We can debate over Turner's role and style of play but you don't think that's a positive? 

5) Turner has been very active on the transfer market which I hope incentivizes Shaka to take the same route. 

Also, I'm not sure I would say it's a "great hire". I think it's a very good hire but maybe I'm playing semantics. 

so why not lead with that? your whole pitch about him was (and as it pertains to the offense still is) "SMU has been top 40 in adjO." so i go look at it and i see that SMU is a slow, low-scoring, turnover prone team that cant shoot, and i come back here with that info and say that i'm unenthused. this is your chance to counter what i've said with your takes that you just but posted, but do you do that? nope. you just talk shit to me, and say that only I could be nonplussed by this coaching hire. and of course, as i always do, i take the bait and fight back.

you need to stop being such a dick and start coming with info and facts from the jump, and i need to stop taking the bait when you make these straw man arguments and then start taking shots at me for disagreeing. damn this shit is stupid. 

20 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Do you actually think I'm going to go search these old posts when you've been hyping KJ Adams for years now? I mean come on dude. You've had a boner for KJ Adams since like 2018 and it's obvious you still think he's a 5 star type player. 

do i expect you to backup the things you say with something substantive? yes i do. that's how credibility works. even what you're saying right now isn't true. my postings about KJ have been largely informative (e.g. "he just got an offer" or "Texas is in his top 10") and until recently I really never opined on things like where he should be ranked or what kind of college player i think he'll be. and even then the only reason i did start opining some about his future was because of the whole "he's not physically developed" and the "we stopped recruiting him" nonsense.

really i've mostly just talked about how great his character is, and what a great family he comes from; how hard he works, and how seriously he takes his training; how much he's transformed his body and his game; the way he treats people and doesn't have a big head or an ego; things like that. I mean I don't even follow the recruiting rankings, nor do I care. it's always been about support for KJ, and for you to characterize it as me "having a boner for him" only shows your ignorance and immaturity. but again, this is classic you- when pressed to back up what you say you deflect by making shit up and taking jabs at me. it's pretty pathetic. 

lmao that TS12 would rep that post, and lol that you would make it. i'm not the one who got his feelings hurt and started some pissy e-fight because someone else didn't get excited about our new coaching hire. that would be TS12, who is the embodiment of thin-skinned.

and as for you, well, you've named three different posting handles after me and then got caught using all of your derka-themed handles your circle jerk each other with rep, so you really aren't one to be talking either.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

But ... why?  I mean from Calipari's side.  Kentucky already gets guys like the Harrison twins, De'Aaron Fox, Tyrese Maxey , PJ Washington, Jarred Vanderbilt and Julius Randle out of Texas.  If Jai Lucas were truly worthy of an off-court bagman job at Kentucky, more of those dudes would have stayed home for college at UT.   Shaka recruits well, but (a) we don't clean up in Houston, at all, even though that's where the Lucas clan is supposed to have so much (alleged) influence, and (b) we actually used to get more of the Kentucky level recruits back when Barnes was at his peak before Lucas ever joined the staff here.

Whatever.  To the extent this takes our recruiting down a notch, though, that's not good news for Shaka in a year when we're going to sign 6 guys and probably looking at a rough 2021-2022 season unless he hits it big with some freshmen.

Calipari's best recruiter just left for the Knicks and right now they have one of their worst recruiting classes since Cal took the UK job, that's why.

Lucas' father has influence everywhere, he just lives in Houston. The list of recruits who come to his camps each year is ridiculous.

• Hook 'Em 1

god damn young fans are uneducated, with no knowledge or appreciation of history. this is just the latest example that i've seen.

Jarrett Allen isn't one of the five best UT centers ever, and wouldn't crack my top 40-50 UT hoopers of all time, but yeah, he's the all time starting C for the combined Texas/UNC team. 🙄 every time i see one of these social media accounts do an "all time" team (especially for Texas), it's as if UT basketball started in 2007. they've never even heard of Terrence Rencher, or Johnny Moore, or Travis Mays, but they feel fine naming Cory Jospeh to the the All Time UT team. okie dokie. 

Indianapolis makes sense.  After all, it is the largest U.S. city with no navigable waterways and as such is often referred to by travel agents and geographers alike as the leeward side of the Midwest.  

Coleman is one of the most maddeningly inconsistent players I can remember at Texas. Capable of high level play and also dogshit play. Understandable as a freshman, but 3 years in and he is still all over the map both as a scorer and as a distributor. Check out his career gamelog. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/matt-coleman-3/gamelog/

In the final 5 games of last season, he managed 6 assists total while playing at 30+ minutes in each game. Floor general......lulz.