Texas basketball 2020-21: Not even Shaka can fuck this up...right?

Goo Punch

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

also, re: the job he's done at getting guys to the NBA- we already do that, so I'm not sure why that was the one thing they quoted about him. A G League team's whole purpose is to get guys ready for and into the NBA- thats not the same for Texas. i'd really like to know more about what exactly will be this guy's role/purpose within our program. when i hear "Director of Program Development", i think "get me someone from Gonzaga, Villanova, Kansas, Michigan State, Duke, etc"- someone who has spent lots of time learning from someone who has built and/or sustained a great college program. i hope that's what this guy is here for. 

Wow, so he averaged less than 3 players per season to get called up form a roster of 13 to the NBA.  Less than 22% of his players made it to "The Show."  I get it, it's something worth noting, but that'd be like us being forced to applaud a AAA minor league bench coach for needing 5 seasons to get 22 guys to the MLB show from his myriad rosters.  It's solid, but it's nothing to use as a justification for being an obnoxiously expensive higher for a programming wallowed in expensive mediocrity.  

6 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Bitterwhiteguy isn't writing for Barking Carnival anymore

is anyone writing for Barking Carnival anymore?

The Pregamer guys & the guy who does the weekly football gambling post, that's about it.

EDIT: I'm still going to write over at Substack, just at a slightly reduced cadence to help with the work/life balance.

Edited by Bitterwhiteguy

seriously- "Marine toughness". what the fuck does that have to do with anything? this program has become such an embarrassing clown show. 

Rick Barnes, a good coach: "Yeah I'll come be the HC at Clemson (and later Texas), but under one condition- I have to have my own basketball-specific strength and conditioning coach." (at the time standard procedure was for the football S&C coach to do the same job for the basketball team. Barnes hired Todd Wright who did wonders at the college level and is now a highly respected NBA coach and leader in his field. his protege Garrett Madenwald has helped turn the Tennessee program around overnight.)

Shaka Smart, an absolute clown: get me SEAL Team 6, the Marine Corp, some Dothraki Bloodriders, and the FAZE Clan from Call of Duty- we're going all the way this year. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

Are they allowing crowds at this thing?  I would think there'd be a lot of Davidson fans in Asheville.  That is such a great town, albeit being overrun with hipsters and homeless now.  

11:00a tip?  On a Monday in November?  Covid-19 Day Drinking anyone?  

https://texassports.com/documents/2020/10/7//2020_Maui_Invitational_Bracket_FINAL.pdf

8 hours ago, Lobo said:

Are they allowing crowds at this thing?  I would think there'd be a lot of Davidson fans in Asheville.  That is such a great town, albeit being overrun with hipsters and homeless now.  

11:00a tip?  On a Monday in November?  Covid-19 Day Drinking anyone?  

https://texassports.com/documents/2020/10/7//2020_Maui_Invitational_Bracket_FINAL.pdf

We need a basketball game as an excuse now? 

12 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Though this is absolutely meaningless at this stage, it would interesting/infuriating to see how Shaka manages to lose to Winthrop.

I'm guessing it would go something like Texas takes a 5-10 point lead into halftime because we clearly have more talent, only to shit the bed and fall behind 5-10 in the second half. We close the gap and drop the game at the end becuase of shitty execution. 

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

...only to watch Winthrop lose to Providence by 20 in the next round. 

No doubt. 

11 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

I sweatergawd if we aren't up near 79-80 ppg this year then Shaka should never be hired to coach basketball again. 

Some crazy fuck responded to the second Insta video that you posted and sweatergawds they should be scoring even more.

bross52

i sweatergawd we should score 85 ppg this season

• Haha 1

For clarification in case anyone is confused the upcoming season is the 2021 season.  Last year was the 2020 season. I imagine our highly rated projection is a function of having so many highly recruited players who are now seniors and juniors.  For some reason how they actually played throughout their college careers doesn't matter as much as where they were originally ranked as high school seniors and how old they are for the upcoming season. Someone like Andrew Jones, who I believe is now a 5th yr player and was a high school all-American probably throws the algorithm out of wack. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Pancho said:

Really feels like we just play the same 3-4 teams in this challenge

why they've never scheduled us to play Tennessee I don't know. seems a rather obvious matchup. i know it goes against their protocol, seeing as Tennessee is consistently ranked near the top of their conference while the opposite is true for us, but still. 

Edited by shadow_operative

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

why they've never scheduled us to play Tennessee I don't know. seems a rather obvious matchup. i know it goes against their protocol, seeing as Tennessee is consistently ranked near the top of their conference while the opposite is true for us, but still. 

And Kentucky isn't?????