Texas basketball 2020-21: Not even Shaka can fuck this up...right?

Goo Punch

1 hour ago, zman13 said:

Is the game on Wed (against UT RGV) not on TV? Maybe I'm misreading the schedule on texassports.com, but it only lists radio.

rgv.jpg

It'll be on LHN, they just haven't announced it because - like everything else in this sport right now - the TV schedules aren't finalized due to COVID chaos. None of the conference games have a TV channel listed last time I checked, even though they're almost all going to be on one of the ESPNs.

29 minutes ago, CheesePie said:

Shaka's new favorite buzzword is "violence"(so provocative). Will this be more Shakablah? The litmus test for me will be his usage of Brock. The kid better get meaningful minutes immediately if he wants anyone to take him for his word about playing more violent.

uh oh the ninnys on campus aren't gonna like that

2 hours ago, CheesePie said:

Shaka's new favorite buzzword is "violence"(so provocative). Will this be more Shakablah? The litmus test for me will be his usage of Brock. The kid better get meaningful minutes immediately if he wants anyone to take him for his word about playing more violent.

brock is in line to start bruh he has been one of the best players in camp he will play major minutes 

6 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Ok.  Now that I've switched to YouTubeTV, I get to play the "find the stream" game.

here is a lag free stream  just make sure u have ad blocker 

click second video on page 

Edited by hornfromdallas
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

yeah. the size and athleticism is as advertised, if not better. this is looking like the most physically impressive team at UT possibly ever. the 2010 team had Doj, Avery Bradley, Damion James, Jordan Hamilton, Alexis Wangmene, and Dexter Pittman; this team is even more athletic if simply not quite as big.

x/post from the game thread. 

two thoughts: 

A)I hope we get Dickie V when we play Kentucky (f the haters)

and

B)this year would have ironically been the one time where getting to play one of Shaka's typical pussy-ass OOC schedules would have been an amazing thing for our team. no time to jell now, and this is the one year where that would have actually made a difference based on this talent and athleticism + new roles for different guys. 

image.png.b5966545b1661de07bfa73bac43af420.png

May be my favorite stat of the night. Last year in our opener, we were a sparkling 7-27 and the team averaged 24 a game for the entire season. I know its early, and I know the offense needs work, but at least we weren't breaking backboards all night. 

giphy.gif 

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, Blotto said:

image.png.b5966545b1661de07bfa73bac43af420.png

May be my favorite stat of the night. Last year in our opener, we were a sparkling 7-27 and the team averaged 24 a game for the entire season. I know its early, and I know the offense needs work, but at least we weren't breaking backboards all night. 

giphy.gif 

doubt it holds when we can't get inside against better teams.  well done by the boys tonight though.

24 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

FT shooting sucks. For the 16th year in a row

yep, gonna cost us games again...I know it was happening with Rick too at the end but its why I can't see Shaka doing anything.  just being athletic and playing good D doesn't get you anywhere these days.  you have to be able to shoot.

52 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m kind of there for something good happening to Andrew Jones. I doubt he gets drafted. It’d be nice if he gets to cut some nets. 

he's going to get drafted if he stays healthy this year. as good as Coleman and Ramey were tonight AJ is our best guard, and he's probably our most mature player/team leader. he's likely a second round pick,  it someone will draft him if he plays this full season. 

27 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I can't call the experience elite with no tourney experience. Besides that I think I agree with your eval.

i don't días agree with you there, but this team has a shot ton of major D-1 experience, even if not in the postseason. you could argue that makes it less than elite, but i'd just point out that 95% of the games played happen before the tourney, so in that might our experience is pretty much elite. 

43 minutes ago, BowleggedMonkey said:

What do you think the deal is with Will Baker? Will he see any floor time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last night Shaka said he wanted to redshirt prior to everyone being allowed to redshirt.  Then he made an ambiguous comment about him wanting to “use this year to grow”.  Sounds like we should not expect to see much of him.  Maybe he wants to get his free degree and isn’t that interested in ball.  Who knows. 

10 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

he's going to get drafted if he stays healthy this year. as good as Coleman and Ramey were tonight AJ is our best guard, and he's probably our most mature player/team leader. he's likely a second round pick,  it someone will draft him if he plays this full season. 

I know he flirted with the draft after his first year, but that was a while ago. Hopefully there's enough minutes and shots to go around for him to raise his profile a bit. Not too many shooting guards getting drafted with an 11 ppg average. He strikes me as the kind of guy that may have to go the Duncan Robinson route (UDFA). Hope not.

yep, gonna cost us games again...I know it was happening with Rick too at the end but its why I can't see Shaka doing anything.  just being athletic and playing good D doesn't get you anywhere these days.  you have to be able to shoot.

The bigger challenge is they don’t have an offensive set. No inside out game. Can you recall any plays last night that was designed to get the bigs the ball?

With a team like Rio Grande, we should be feeding the bigs... not sure what size their tallest player. Unfortunately, guards have too much dribble and one on one play to score the points. Strategy is not sustainable or consistent in Big12 play.

That said, team has tremendous upside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

Last night Shaka said he wanted to redshirt prior to everyone being allowed to redshirt.  Then he made an ambiguous comment about him wanting to “use this year to grow”.  Sounds like we should not expect to see much of him.  Maybe he wants to get his free degree and isn’t that interested in ball.  Who knows. 

Sounds like a transfer.

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

He strikes me as the kind of guy that may have to go the Duncan Robinson route (UDFA).

Well yeah that would be like best case scenario.

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

well if he hangs around and actually works he might be something in year 5 and 6 while he gets his MBA

we've been just about the worst team in the country (no hyperbole) at offensive rebounding under Shaka, and that's been pretty much by design. surely even Shaka Smart will realize that this team needs to do a 180 on that philosophy and turn it into a strength. we are not going to outscore the likes of KU and we are not going to our grind the likes of TTU without plenty of second chance points/second possessions. 

pa

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Baker and Hepa not even seeing the floor in garbage time of a 35 point blowout was pretty curious for sure.  I would normally say that is indicative of them either already deciding to transfer or the coach encouraging them to transfer, but Shaka has done so many weird things with his rotation that it’s probably nothing and they’ll both randomly start for a couple of games after our first loss or something.  

hepa & baker agreed with shaka to use this year as a redshirt year to develop they wont be playing at all this season unless injury situations happen 

• Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, hornfromdallas said:

pa

hepa & baker agreed with shaka to use this year as a redshirt year to develop they wont be playing at all this season unless injury situations happen 

This is correct and is a great move by both of the young men. This is a positive for them and the team. They still may get playing time but want to focus on becoming better players and from what I understand, both of them went to Coach Smart. He didn't go to them.

• Like 1

I hope you're wrong re: Baker and Hepa asking both asking to be redshirted. That would not portend good things for either of them going forward, particularly Hepa. I already expect nothing of Baker, but Hepa has already gone to great lengths to make sure that he can play against the best competition possible/prove his worth and self belief as a player. The idea that he would go tell Shaka that he isn't good enough to even merit playing this year doesn't jibe with what i know about him, and is not a good sign if true. It's much more likely that Shaka told both guys that redshirting was in their best interest, which it is. 

hell, that ^^^ is my attempt at giving a diplomatic answer, and there's just no reason for that, so let's be honest- the idea that Will Baker and Kamaka Hepa both went to Shaka and asked to sit this year out is bullshit. What kind of highly rated, 4*-5* basketball player gets a scholarship to a school like Texas and then decides heading into his sophomore year that he really could use a year to sit out and grow and develop and then become an important player *next* year? no kind of player worth playing. 0% chance those guys asked to be shirted. Shaka smartly showed them the writing on the wall, as we don't need them this year but will need them next year. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

^^^^have you seen will baker? Also have you seen him play? He could use a year to either bulk up or become a stretch 5 or ideally both. 

that's not what it's about. 19 year old basketball studs are terrible judges of their own talent and how much playing time they deserve. they are the last people on earth with a realistic, pragmatic view of their own talent, value, and deserved role. the higher they were ranked in HS, the more that tends to be true. HS basketball studs and their friends/family/posses are notorious for always thinking that their boy isn't getting a fair shake and deserves a ton more playing time. it's never that the kid actually needs to physically develop, add to his game, learn more about the college game, etc. never. it's always some idiot coach's fault.

i've spent my entire life around these guys, and the idea that a couple of 19 year old basketball studs would volunteer to redshirt their second year in college when they are in scholarship at a school like Texas is just not plausible. not at all. that's not the mindset of any serious hooper i've ever been around. it's not plausible that these guys asked to sit out a year. just doesn't make any sense. 

Edited by shadow_operative

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

hell, that ^^^ is my attempt at giving a diplomatic answer, and there's just no reason for that, so let's be honest- the idea that Will Baker and Kamaka Hepa both went to Shaka and asked to sit this year out is bullshit. What kind of highly rated, 4*-5* basketball player gets a scholarship to a school like Texas and then decides heading into his sophomore year that he really could use a year to sit out and grow and develop and then become an important player *next* year? no kind of player worth playing. 0% chance those guys asked to be shirted. Shaka smartly showed them the writing on the wall, as we don't need them this year but will need them next year. 

Right. Lets be honest. You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. The game is more than just regurgitating statistics and you don't even do that well. Hepa was quarantined in Alaska for many months and couldn't even get to a gym.  As far as Baker is concerned, he has his reasons and you are no one to judge him or anyone else on the team. Of course, you don't understand. An extra year of education at UT is a huge opportunity but according to you, you never even made it to UT so you don't get it. Stick to what you do best...reporting on the next hot 16 year old..

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

He can get the extra year and still play this year.   Everyone gets a redshirt year whether they play or not in 2020.

This. There's no such thing as a "redshirt" this year. We could be a month in and injuries force both players onto the court.  It still doesn't matter. They can go right back "redshirting" two weeks later and it won't mean a thing.  That this is even being discussed by Shaka is just another indicator that he misses the forest for the trees.  I tend to see it from S_O's perspective in that I find it hard to believe they both offered themselves up, but whichever angle you come from, it's equates to bad leadership at the top. Shaka mismanaged/misdeveloped/misscouted two players in the same class, and now needs to fix a mistake, OR his players know better than him what is best for their development and on-court success and have to let the coach know what is best to do.  Either way, it's a program that doesn't appear to have a clear, long-term plan.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

that's not what it's about. 19 year old basketball studs are terrible judges of their own talent and how much playing time they deserve. they are the last people on earth with a realistic, pragmatic view of their own talent, value, and deserved role. the higher they were ranked in HS, the more that tends to be true. HS basketball studs and their friends/family/posses are notorious for always thinking that their boy isn't getting a fair shake and deserves a ton more playing time. it's never that the kid actually needs to physically develop, add to his game, learn more about the college game, etc. never. it's always some idiot coach's fault.

i've spent my entire life around these guys, and the idea that a couple of 19 year old basketball studs would volunteer to redshirt their second year in college when they are in scholarship at a school like Texas is just not plausible. not at all. that's not the mindset of any serious hooper i've ever been around. it's not plausible that these guys asked to sit out a year. just doesn't make any sense. 

I think you're providing some great insight, and I think I even agree with you on a number of things. Unfortunately I can't read it.

The question about Will and Kamaka comes up at 9:38. Shaka specifically says before the NCAA granted this free eligibility year Kamaka planned to redshirt.  I'm guessing this was his conclusion given the lack of preparation he got while quarantining as @realgreggym mentioned. Shaka never explicitly says either one of them are redshirting this year. 

He kinda mealy mouths his answer about Will, but he mentioned that there were different times throughout the game when he was gonna put them in, but ultimately didn't. I'm guessing Shaka is being careful about his words concerning Will because there's potential that he might transfer but who knows.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

4 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

This. There's no such thing as a "redshirt" this year. We could be a month in and injuries force both players onto the court.  It still doesn't matter. They can go right back "redshirting" two weeks later and it won't mean a thing.  That this is even being discussed by Shaka is just another indicator that he misses the forest for the trees.  I tend to see it from S_O's perspective in that I find it hard to believe they both offered themselves up, but whichever angle you come from, it's equates to bad leadership at the top. Shaka mismanaged/misdeveloped/misscouted two players in the same class, and now needs to fix a mistake, OR his players know better than him what is best for their development and on-court success and have to let the coach know what is best to do.  Either way, it's a program that doesn't appear to have a clear, long-term plan.

It's not.  Like most things regarding Shaka on this board people tend to make the most extreme interpretation of what he says.