Texas basketball 2020-21: Not even Shaka can fuck this up...right?

Goo Punch

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Kai gave up like 11 straight points when he was in the game. He was getting absolutely cooked. There's a reason he wasn't on the court much in the 2nd half.  It's like people only pay attention to one side of the court.  

well i was only talking about one side of the court.  we didn't have to keep pounding the ball inside to Sims knowing that he was going to be fouled, especially late in the game when it ended up costing us. Sims was a liability on the offensive end, and Kai was a liability on the defensive end. Shaka took action on Kai's liability by sitting him. With Sims he not only didn't go away from him, he kept on going back to him even though he can't shoot FTs or really finish anything that isn't a dunk. Give Kai those touches and, like i said, we win the game handily. 

i just went back and watched the last minute, and after Ramey's inexplicable TO the game is tied at 77-77 and we call a timeout. when we came out of that TO for our final offensive possession we had Sims on the floor instead of Kai. that's just plain stupid. as was the fact that we called TO to draw up a play and ended up having Coleman just dribble the ball around before jacking up a fade away baseline jumper. no reason to have Sims on the floor over Kai in that situation. in fact, with the way that game had gone i have zero doubt that we could have easily gotten Kai 1 on 1 with a TTU defender in the paint where he would almost certainly have scored or been fouled. not having him on the court in that situation is brain dead. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Like 1

You can blame me.  My first minutes watching this year were the other day, when we came out hot, led for about five minutes, trailed the rest of the game before AJ hit the game winner...last night I found a YouTube channel showing the game, but suddenly it got stopped for violations with about 12 minutes left, but we still had the lead. Wait, I’m not a total jinx. We still had the lead when the YouTuber was caught.  Blame Disney.  Vicious. 

the inability to diagram/run a play to get AJ open on the penultimate possession tells me nothing has changed.  we happened to catch Kansas on a very off night with no fans.  WVU missed clutch FT's

hope the shooting keeps up and Sims starts to make some FT's.  he will get fouled constantly.

if not, look out...

One of my favorite things about Texas basketball fans is their seeming realism in predicting the next X games -- "I'll be happy with 4-2" -- and then when we drop one it turns into a shitshow.

Chris Beard is a much better basketball coach than Shaka Smart.  So is Bill Self.  We went 1-1 against those two, which is honestly better than anyone should have expected.  Shaka seems to have fallen into a team that can finally compete at the top of the league, but nothing much has changed in my eyes.  The things we bring to the floor can cause legit problems for the TT and KU lineups.  Baylor?  Nah.  They'll likely torch us twice, they are what we are but even more athletic and (ugh) better coached.  So, losing to Tech wasn't some nightmare scenario come to life, it was utterly predictable, and it's certainly not out of the question that we might beat them next time.  I'll commit the same sin I accused others of, except I don't expect to lose my shit when I'm right:  go 1-3 in upcoming games against Baylor, KU and TT, and don't shit the bed more than about 1 or 2 more times, and that's about where this team should be, roughly 19-7 heading into the conference tournament.  

Given the last few years, hell yeah I'll take that.

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

One of my favorite things about Texas basketball fans is their seeming realism in predicting the next X games -- "I'll be happy with 4-2" -- and then when we drop one it turns into a shitshow.

Chris Beard is a much better basketball coach than Shaka Smart.  So is Bill Self.  We went 1-1 against those two, which is honestly better than anyone should have expected.  Shaka seems to have fallen into a team that can finally compete at the top of the league, but nothing much has changed in my eyes.  The things we bring to the floor can cause legit problems for the TT and KU lineups.  Baylor?  Nah.  They'll likely torch us twice, they are what we are but even more athletic and (ugh) better coached.  So, losing to Tech wasn't some nightmare scenario come to life, it was utterly predictable, and it's certainly not out of the question that we might beat them next time.  I'll commit the same sin I accused others of, except I don't expect to lose my shit when I'm right:  go 1-3 in upcoming games against Baylor, KU and TT, and don't shit the bed more than about 1 or 2 more times, and that's about where this team should be, roughly 19-7 heading into the conference tournament.  

Given the last few years, hell yeah I'll take that.

I get that you're maybe being pessimistic to hedge on kool-aid drinking - but this is still the 2nd best team in the conference and I don't really understand penciling in another 5 losses just because Tech stole one from us at home. 

Shaka is still guilty of a lot of the same shit - but there really has been a lot of excellence put on tape this year that we are seeing for the first time in his tenure. 19-7 isn't some outlandish prediction - because there is obviously still a chance that this thing blows up in our faces and Shaka melts down and it's more of the same and another wasted season - BUT - do I think that that is more likely to happen than Shaka continuing to turn the corner a bit and our guys stepping up and digging deep and really contending for the B12 title? Not really. And I'd like to think the latter is a little bit more likely. 

We'll see. I don't think K State will prove anything one way or another - unless it's a meltdown loss - in which case, it was fun while it lasted.

21 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I get that you're maybe being pessimistic to hedge on kool-aid drinking - but this is still the 2nd best team in the conference and I don't really understand penciling in another 5 losses just because Tech stole one from us at home. 

Shaka is still guilty of a lot of the same shit - but there really has been a lot of excellence put on tape this year that we are seeing for the first time in his tenure. 19-7 isn't some outlandish prediction - because there is obviously still a chance that this thing blows up in our faces and Shaka melts down and it's more of the same and another wasted season - BUT - do I think that that is more likely to happen than Shaka continuing to turn the corner a bit and our guys stepping up and digging deep and really contending for the B12 title? Not really. And I'd like to think the latter is a little bit more likely. 

We'll see. I don't think K State will prove anything one way or another - unless it's a meltdown loss - in which case, it was fun while it lasted.

I think I was clear that this is a better team than he's fielded in years . . . ever?  I just don't think people should be surprised when a game goes south against a very good opponent in the last few minutes.  I mean, it's kinda what we do.

I think this team's greatest strength is its balance, followed closely by its athleticism and depth.  Those things don't change from night to night.  When a couple of top guys kinda suck, a team is gonna lose, but the point is that it doesn't appear likely to happen so much with this team than previous one-trick ponies.  I'm all for that.  I'm a fan of these guys.  I love their selflessness, their tenacity, their aggressiveness.  That said, it's a REALLY tough conference and I just don't see them winning 22+ in the regular season.  There are just too many (justifiable) hurdles in the way.

19 hours ago, ztejas said:

No way they are able to make all of these games up if they keep the tourney dates that I saw earlier. Texas still has to play, what, 12 conference games?

They’ll have to figure out what games to play. Perhaps the ones that affect conf tournament seeding. Could see some thrown out as pointless 

On 1/20/2021 at 5:51 PM, JesusSweatDuck said:

What a frustrating year to be good at basketball

But at the same time, has Shaka updated us on Brock, GB3 and Kai? 

Having these games postponed are a blessing in disguise - sucks for the fans, but good for ensuring we have our full team when they are rescheduled. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

But at the same time, has Shaka updated us on Brock, GB3 and Kai? 

Having these games postponed are a blessing in disguise - sucks for the fans, but good for ensuring we have our full team when they are rescheduled. 

I was commenting less about games being cancelled and more about not being able to go see them play in person.  

I agree that these games being cancelled may be a blessing in disguise as we don't really know the status of all the players.

Just now, dcar00 said:

I wish they would cancel the kentucky game and put KU or ISU in its place.  the conf games are much more important.

I don’t disagree but I’d like to revel in a season where we beat 4 of the 6 biggest basketball names - Indiana, UNC, Kansas and Kentucky. 

Next up: Duke in round 1 and UCLA in round 2. Make it happen 

• Like 2

If I were a blowU fan I'd be pissed that they seem so underrated.  I know they don't have a ton of big wins, but their losses aren't too terrible and they're against good teams. Team stats look comparable other than our D looks a little better, and OU is much better at the line. This should be a really fun game to watch. 

33 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

If I were a blowU fan I'd be pissed that they seem so underrated.  I know they don't have a ton of big wins, but their losses aren't too terrible and they're against good teams. Team stats look comparable other than our D looks a little better, and OU is much better at the line. This should be a really fun game to watch. 

That 22-point loss to a decent-but-not-great Xavier team didn't do them any favors, but they have played very well since then.