Texas basketball 2020-21: Not even Shaka can fuck this up...right?

Goo Punch

Y’all may be right. Who knows. I’m no Shaka apologist. But I’m also not going to cry about the sky falling after a few very close losses where we didn’t have the full squad or even our coach. Shaka’s teams don’t generally crater to end the season.

We will be favored against TCU, Iowa State and probably WVU.

And if it is hard for us to beat KU twice, it will be hard for OU and Tech to beat us twice. I think we win at least one of those three.

I get the feeling many of you hope I’m wrong. Whatever. Maybe I will be.

7 minutes ago, HookEm said:

And if it is hard for us to beat KU twice, it will be hard for OU and Tech to beat us twice.

Kansas has won at least a share of the regular season B12 title 17 times in the last 19 years. And more importantly they aren't coached by Shaka Smart. I'm giving Tech and OU much better odds against us than Texas against Kansas at this point in the season.

The obvious wild card here is covid.  I'm not privy to which guys had serious illness and which ones just tested positive or had to isolate based on contact tracing, but Sims in particular seemed pretty dead-legged when he came back.

What is disheartening is the predictable default back to silly 3-point shooting over a zone that is daring them to do exactly that.  But, if they're fatigued and not fully recovered, it's hard to imagine them playing with the same intensity as they did earlier in the year.

Well covid or not we have had plenty of past seasons where covid effected nothing and we got the same result as we are now. If cdc came here to bring us championships then the full picture matters a lot more than one season he can blame on fucking covid. The fact is shaka is a mediocre coach that wins some early season games then the wheels come off with shitty stale offenses, missed free throws all with guys who can't shoot worth a shit yet we will still jack up 30 three pointers. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The obvious wild card here is covid.  I'm not privy to which guys had serious illness and which ones just tested positive or had to isolate based on contact tracing, but Sims in particular seemed pretty dead-legged when he came back.

What is disheartening is the predictable default back to silly 3-point shooting over a zone that is daring them to do exactly that.  But, if they're fatigued and not fully recovered, it's hard to imagine them playing with the same intensity as they did earlier in the year.

Brock has to be in the game when our opponent runs zone. He’s the only really capable passer in the middle of a zone 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Well covid or not we have had plenty of past seasons where covid effected nothing and we got the same result as we are now. If cdc came here to bring us championships then the full picture matters a lot more than one season he can blame on fucking covid. The fact is shaka is a mediocre coach that wins some early season games then the wheels come off with shitty stale offenses, missed free throws all with guys who can't shoot worth a shit yet we will still jack up 30 three pointers. 

exactly. deep(supposedly)veteran team with a one and done-er added.  took him 6 years to get here and even though I wanted him gone 2 years ago this was the year he could make me eat crow and then get on a roll(eating more crow).

Its the same shit and we start over next year basically hearing about how young we are, lost so many vets, what do you expect, etc.  6 years is more than enough time to get into a regular sweet 16 contender and not have to start all over.

He's generic college coach X and that ain't cuttin' it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

So I couldn’t resist looking it up, and in 1982 it appears we went 2 and 11 after the 14-0 start.  Right now we are 2 and 4 in our last 6, correct..not too far off percentage wise.  Should we end up 1. and 9 in last 10, is it possible we could miss the tourney...

We are finishing 3 and 7 for last 10 before conference tourney.   Don’t ask where victory 3 happens.  We finish ranked 25, get a 9 seed, lose by 10 in first game.  

Cdc, ball is in your court..what say u?

If I recall correctly, the 1982 losing streak started as result of Texas losing a key player (Wacker) from bad knee injury in game against Baylor and Texas tanked with him out of the lineup.

14 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

So I couldn’t resist looking it up, and in 1982 it appears we went 2 and 11 after the 14-0 start.  Right now we are 2 and 4 in our last 6, correct..not too far off percentage wise.  Should we end up 1. and 9 in last 10, is it possible we could miss the tourney...

We are finishing 3 and 7 for last 10 before conference tourney.   Don’t ask where victory 3 happens.  We finish ranked 25, get a 9 seed, lose by 10 in first game.  

Cdc, ball is in your court..what say u?

Can you share the lotto numbers too with your Rain Main-style predictions? 

12 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

OSU: another game where we were prohibitive favorites, and another game that we *easily* could have won with maybe 1-2 fewer stupid/sloppy possessions, never mind the fact that we shot 5-35 from deep (don't ever stop, just keep shooting!) and went 0-12 from the field in both overtimes. Texas had a 74.6 % Win Probability with 1:15 left in regulation, and an 89.5% Win Probability with 0:04 left in OT, and we ended up losing by 8. but hey, just characterize it as another hard luck loss where the team played great and came up short against a juggernaut! 

way too charitable.

this was the most abhorent disgusting display of futility and ineptitude i have ever seen in a competitive sporting event.

the absurdity of 5 for 35 is not measurable with current technology.

but even worse was the failure to run simple grade-school sets in the paint when all 3 of oSu's bigs had 4 fouls with 5 minutes to go, for a total of 15 minutes on the floor.

a coaching gravity well.  a black hole of futility.  no escape at all.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I remain dumbfounded that high level D1 basketball players routinely miss dunks and layups.  Seems like something that could be taught, you know, if we had a coach who knew how to do such things.

Meh, I watched a couple players in the Mavs-Hawks game also miss point blank layups or putbacks.  It's so frustrating. 

On 2/9/2021 at 9:58 PM, LTtxfan said:

Rotations are fucked up... Hepa had some good minutes in 1st half, and don't remember him playing in 2nd half.

Kai Jones is a projected 1st Rd pick and didn't play that much tonight.

Yep -- 1st Rd Projection.    Shaka doesn't play Kai enough.

6 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

so, we have 16 conference games and we are headed for about 8-8 in conference?  Is that good enough for the tourney?  Pile on one win and then a loss in the conference tournament. I don't see higher than a 9 seed.   

From 2015-16 to 2018-19, four teams have finished exactly .500 in conference, leading to one 10 seed, one 8 seed, and two 6 seeds.

Last year, a remarkable four teams finished 9-9. Looking at old bracketology posts, one was a lock to make the tournament as a middle single-digit seed (West Virginia), two teams were probably in the tournament as a 9, 10, or 11 (WVU and TTU), and then we were right on the cutline (probably outside looking in, with a chance to help ourselves if the Big 12 tourney happened).

25 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I don’t think 12-6 is off the table for this team, which would be a solid 3 seed, especially if we sweep WV  

W: @ ISU , @ TCU, Kansas, WV

L: @ Baylor

Split: @ Tech, @ OU

12-6 - 3 seed

11-7 - 4 seed

10-8 - blahhhhh

are we playing Baylor again? it would be a big break not to have to face them.  10-7 seems most likely if we don't play Baylor.  that said, if AJ is on, any game is winnable that is left(sans Baylor)

Big12 conf difficulty would probably put them at 4 unless we lose the first game of the tourney.

Just now, dcar00 said:

are we playing Baylor again? it would be a big break not to have to face them.  10-7 seems most likely if we don't play Baylor.  that said, if AJ is on, any game is winnable that is left(sans Baylor)

Big12 conf difficulty would probably put them at 4 unless we lose the first game of the tourney.

At this point, I’d say not likely bc of how many games Baylor has lost. They can’t make all of them up. I’m not entirely sure we even make up the game in Ames either. ISU may just say fuck it once the season is “over.” 

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

At this point, I’d say not likely bc of how many games Baylor has lost. They can’t make all of them up. I’m not entirely sure we even make up the game in Ames either. ISU may just say fuck it once the season is “over.” 

We play 4 games in 8 days 2/16 thru 2/23. 

2/16 @ OU

2/18 @ ISU

2/20 Home vs WVU

2/23 Home vs KU

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I would imagine the conference is prioritizing a WVU/BU matchup over Texas/BU on account of WVU & Baylor having not played at all this year. If they cancel the tournament, then there's more room to make up lost games.

36 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

are we playing Baylor again? it would be a big break not to have to face them.

I dont think a loss to Baylor is hurting anyone's tournament resume at this point. In fact, I think a close loss to Baylor could serve as an endorsement.

34 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I dont think a loss to Baylor is hurting anyone's tournament resume at this point. In fact, I think a close loss to Baylor could serve as an endorsement.

The fact that we lost 4 of 5 and only dropped to #13 is pretty indicative that the pollsters understand how strong the Big XII is, and perhaps how devastating that stretch of covid was to Texas.

I mean, even though KSU/TCU aren't anywhere near the top of the conference, it's hard to argue that the 'horns aren't looking a lot closer to their early January form.

19 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Wait are we allowed to be optimistic again now?

About what? Making it through the first weekend, which I think all of us believe this team is capable ? Hell no.

winning one tourney game against a lower seeded team? Yes, maybe.

Its so sad how low our expectations have gone, given the talent on the team.  How many future nba starters are on the team? 

2? Do they even start and play strong throughout the games? Are they even slightly tired from their effort? 

What will our record be, last 10? 5 and 5 at best?  I still have us 3 and 7.  Where is the optimism coming from?

20 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The fact that we lost 4 of 5 and only dropped to #13 is pretty indicative that the pollsters understand how strong the Big XII is, and perhaps how devastating that stretch of covid was to Texas.

I mean, even though KSU/TCU aren't anywhere near the top of the conference, it's hard to argue that the 'horns aren't looking a lot closer to their early January form.

I mean, we dropped to 13 because we lost to OK State, plain and simple. We weren’t punished much for a close loss to Tech and def not for a short handed loss to OU. Baylor was a wash. If we don’t lose that OSU game, we are somewhere around 7-9 and not 13

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

it'll never happen because it's just not how things work but, my god, greg brown would be a monster if he came back next year.

was talking to my my mom about this during the game yesterday, about how if this was the late 90's or even early-mid 2000's that there would be *no question* that GB III was returning- none- and what kind a of leap a player like him makes from year one to year two when everything slows down. it's almost certainly better for his overall development to leave, but man, if he did return, he could be a Big XII POY candidate who leaves a more lasting legacy with the program and fans.

also, i don't know how many of you watched that game yesterday, but we did not look good. between the early turnovers and the continued terrible three point shooting (6-21, and it's not because we all suck at shooting, it's because we take stupid, terrible, pull-up jumpers 10-15x a game), we will lose to OU, WVU, TTU, and possibly even Kansas if we play against them like we did against TCU. in fact, without Andrew Jones doing what he's been doing i think we'd be looking at a 7th place conference finish as our ceiling.

this team still has all of the same worts as it's ever had, including an absence of a killer mentality. TCU sucks, has no front court, and helped us out by taking the exact same stupid shots that we did all day long, and we still couldn't pull away from them until late. and again, that was only because of AJ1. TCU, as shitty as they are, probably beats us yesterday without AJ1. this team has not done anything to give me confidence in them since the KU game back on January 2nd; in fact it's been just the opposite. the more i watch, the more i abandon hope of things being different this year.

to put it simply: we are staring down the barrel of a 2-4 or 1-5 finish to the season (assuming we play Baylor) if we don't fix our habitual problems time now. i for one will not be holding my breath. 

Edited by shadow_operative

also fuck Shaka Smart for publicly shitting on Royce Hamm, saying that he hasn't earned to right to play, meanwhile Jase Febres is out here getting meaningful PT and doing fuck all with it. Febres (the best shooter in the country according to Shaka) is a net negative (like, by a lot), and yet Shaka has the nerve to play him while trashing Hamm. fuck Shaka Smart for that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, HookEm said:

Wait are we allowed to be optimistic again now?

yeah for sure.

Texas Kenpom rankings since January:

1/6- #5

1/12- #6

1/15- #7

2/5- #12

2/7- #16

2/9 #17

2/14- #19

all aboard the Optimism Train! CHOO CHOO! conducted by Shaka Smart, this train definitely won't derail in painstaking fashion. no way!

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

was talking to my my mom about this during the game yesterday, about how if this was the late 90's or even early-mid 2000's that there would be *no question* that GB III was returning- none- and what kind a of leap a player like him makes from year one to year two when everything slows down. it's almost certainly better for his overall development to leave, but man, if he did return, he could be a Big XII POY candidate who leaves a more lasting legacy with the program and fans.

GB III would potentially profile out like a Blake Griffin who went from a mid to late first round pick had he left after his freshman year to the #1 pick after leaving his sophomore year. 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

......did you read any of what he wrote? it's all pretty spot on tbh. 

We dropped in KenPom after dropping some games (what, how does that happen?!) and he decided to be a sarcastic douche - yes I read it. He says we are going 1-4!!!!! but KenPom says 3-2 is more likely. 

Typical doom and gloom while he slobs Barnes’ knob whose team is going through a similar slump. Oh wait no, he’s silent on that and only frontruns Tennessee when they’re winning. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

also fuck Shaka Smart for publicly shitting on Royce Hamm, saying that he hasn't earned to right to play, meanwhile Jase Febres is out here getting meaningful PT and doing fuck all with it. Febres (the best shooter in the country according to Shaka) is a net negative (like, by a lot), and yet Shaka has the nerve to play him while trashing Hamm. fuck Shaka Smart for that. 

I’m by no means a fan of Febres, but Hamm is one of the worst players on the entire team. He fucking sucks. He can’t defend without fouling. He has no offensive game outside of the occasional putback offensive rebound. When he’s on the floor we are essentially playing 4 on 5. If he was some defensive wizard like Prince Ibeh was, then perhaps you could justify him playing a good amount. But he’s fucking trash and should be behind Hepa in the rotation. 

18 minutes ago, Js1 said:

We dropped in KenPom after dropping some games (what, how does that happen?!) and he decided to be a sarcastic douche - yes I read it. He says we are going 1-4!!!!! but KenPom says 3-2 is more likely. 

Typical doom and gloom while he slobs Barnes’ knob whose team is going through a similar slump. Oh wait no, he’s silent on that and only frontruns Tennessee when they’re winning. 

Why would anyone feel anything other than gloom and doom for a Shaka-coached team?

Edited by Pam Cummings