Texas basketball 2020-21: Not even Shaka can fuck this up...right?

Goo Punch

11 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

I’m by no means a fan of Febres, but Hamm is one of the worst players on the entire team. He fucking sucks. He can’t defend without fouling. He has no offensive game outside of the occasional putback offensive rebound. When he’s on the floor we are essentially playing 4 on 5. If he was some defensive wizard like Prince Ibeh was, then perhaps you could justify him playing a good amount. But he’s fucking trash and should be behind Hepa in the rotation. 

He'd be a great glue guy on a different team. Chris Beard would find a use for him. It's kind of hard for a player like that to find any offensive rhythm on a team where guys just stand around behind the 3pt line waiting for a pass.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

He'd be a great glue guy on a different team. Chris Beard would find a use for him. It's kind of hard for a player like that to find any offensive rhythm on a team where guys just stand around behind the 3pt line waiting for a pass.

Dude averages more fouls per game than points. Trash is trash.  Why Shaka even recruited him in the first place is a mystery. His “game” in no way fits the current basketball meta. If you’re not a good shooter you need to be an athletic slasher who can play the wing and get to the rim.  Hamm is neither.

The days of being a 4 and relying on a strong low post game is long gone, so why even recruit a player of his skill set?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Yev Kassem said:

I’m by no means a fan of Febres, but Hamm is one of the worst players on the entire team. He fucking sucks. He can’t defend without fouling. He has no offensive game outside of the occasional putback offensive rebound. When he’s on the floor we are essentially playing 4 on 5. If he was some defensive wizard like Prince Ibeh was, then perhaps you could justify him playing a good amount. But he’s fucking trash and should be behind Hepa in the rotation. 

Hamm is decidedly better and more impactful than Jase Febres, but that isn't the point. For Shaka to publicly call out Hamm and tell the press that he hasn't earned the right to play (was he not one of our better players during the NIT, Shaka's crowning achievement at Texas?) while playing Febres for 17 minutes is horseshit.

Hamm should have announced his plans to transfer the day after the Duke game in 2017, and beyond that, his tweet seems to indicate that he may very well have wanted to leave and then was talked out of it by Shaka, only to be benched and slandered while Jase Febres plays meaningful minutes in conference games. Hamm has never gotten an actual chance to play; Jase has. We *know* that he is essentially worthless. Hamm has shown flashes when given a chance, flashes which Jase has never shown. Fuck Shaka Smart for that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Yev Kassem said:

Dude averages more fouls per game than points. Trash is trash.  Why Shaka even recruited him in the first place is a mystery. His “game” in no way fits the current basketball meta. If you’re not a good shooter you need to be an athletic slasher who can play the wing and get to the rim.  Hamm is neither.

The days of being a 4 and relying on a strong low post game is long gone, so why even recruit a player of his skill set?

believe it or not, getting a consistent run of games can remedy that situation. it's simply not fair to judge a guy who never gets a consistent chance to play. and as PC said, a good coach would have molded Hamm into a very useful role player years ago. his athleticism, shot blocking ability, and nose for rebounding are all useful building blocks, building blocks which can vastly outweigh a lack of offensive game with a proper Big XII coach in charge. Hamm has never gotten a fair shake under Shaka, and he's nowhere the only guy to have that claim under this clown. for Shaka "coachspeak" Smart to trash Hamm to the press is bullshit. 

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

We dropped in KenPom after dropping some games (what, how does that happen?!) and he decided to be a sarcastic douche - yes I read it. He says we are going 1-4!!!!! but KenPom says 3-2 is more likely. 

Typical doom and gloom while he slobs Barnes’ knob whose team is going through a similar slump. Oh wait no, he’s silent on that and only frontruns Tennessee when they’re winning. 

Rick Barnes is a monumentally better and more successful coach than Shaka who we fired to bring in Shaka. It makes perfect sense to compare them and there’s no comparison. 
There’s also plenty of reason to be doom and gloom. This team has all of the same problems every other Shaka team has had. Our athleticism and talent has helped shadow some of our massive coaching issues but Shaka is still finding a way to make this team into a first weekend exit team.

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

Typical doom and gloom while he slobs Barnes’ knob whose team is going through a similar slump. Oh wait no, he’s silent on that and only frontruns Tennessee when they’re winning. 

clearly you don't actually read the Rick Barnes thread, but don't let that stop you from whining like a little bitch about every post i make and/or talking out of your ass. 👌🏼 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

also, for the record, you guys bringing up Barnes out of nowhere every time your feelings get hurt is getting really old. every other day someone gets upset at one of my posts that's critical of Shaka so they bring up Barnes out of nowhere, and yet these same people will just lose it if i even mention the man's name, which i hardly ever do outside of his own thread. then again, what is JS1 known  for if not whining and crying and being the living embodiment of everything he claims to hate about me?

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

also fuck Shaka Smart for publicly shitting on Royce Hamm, saying that he hasn't earned to right to play, meanwhile Jase Febres is out here getting meaningful PT and doing fuck all with it. Febres (the best shooter in the country according to Shaka) is a net negative (like, by a lot), and yet Shaka has the nerve to play him while trashing Hamm. fuck Shaka Smart for that. 

I saw that Kansas St post game press conference and Shaka's response to the question about Hamm's tweet. I don't remember Shaka saying anything exceptionally pointed about Hamm, certainly not what you described. Maybe I missed it. Do you have the clip or a quote somewhere where we all can see it? Regardless one of your main criticisms of Shaka has been his lack of bluntness in these situations so it seems like even when he attempts to be frank in that department it still doesn't sit well with you. 

And as far as Andrew Jones being the sole reason for our win over TCU he was on the bench with 4 fouls when we extended the lead from 6 to 15. He's obviously been playing great over the past few games, but it would be an exaggeration to say his play carried us to that double digit victory. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

I like the energy Hamm brings. I wish he would have redshirted because we could use him next year.

That said, Shaka sees him every day in practice. If he hasn’t developed in 4 years, certainly some blame falls to Shaka. But most of it falls to Hamm. Maybe Shaka is making pointed remarks because Hamm is spouting off on social media and then not putting out in practice and getting better.

7 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Regardless one of your main criticisms of Shaka has been his lack of bluntness in these situations so it seems like even when he attempts to be frank in that department it still doesn't sit well with you. 

that's a big reason this pisses me off so much, and why i referred to him as "Shaka "Coachspeak" Smart" earlier when i was ranting about this. you can't get the guy to give a single candid or substantive quote 99.9% of the time, and yet when he does do so he's a)trashing a player who doesn't deserve it and b)lying. he straight up said that Hamm hasn't earned the right to play, which again, is obviously total horseshit when Jase Febres is out here getting 17 minutes in conference games. Shaka is a coward. 

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

I like the energy Hamm brings. I wish he would have redshirted because we could use him next year.

That said, Shaka sees him every day in practice. If he hasn’t developed in 4 years, certainly some blame falls to Shaka. But most of it falls to Hamm. Maybe Shaka is making pointed remarks because Hamm is spouting off on social media and then not putting out in practice and getting better.

LMAO at questioning Royce Hamm's work ethic, and lmao at insinuating that players who don't get PT under Shaka clearly don't deserve it. tell that to Holland, Yancy, Barnett, Banks, Ibeh, et al. 

you ever noticed that there's really nothing that any of Shaka's regular players can do to get benched, even if just for a few minutes due to poor, boneheaded play? so what makes you think that there's anything that his bench guys can do to get some actual PT? i mean Prince Ibeh couldn't get any meaningful PT before Cam broke his foot, so Ibeh clearly didn't deserve to play, right? what's that? oh he turned out to be great? he was named the Big XII DPOY that year? oh ok. tell me more about Shaka's prudent use of his rosters.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't know if HookEm can remember as far back as one year ago, but last year Texas was terrible, and Shaka was done. Finished. Dead man walking. Everyone knew he was gone. With six games to go Texas was 14-11 and coming off a 30 point ass kicking by an 11-14 ISU team. Shaka. Was. Gone.

But then a strange thing happened as his ship was going down. We lost Febres and Sims to injuries, and suddenly Kai Jones and Royce Hamm were starters, while Brock Cunningham started playing 20+ minutes with Donovan Williams was thrown into the mix, and guess what happened? those guys who had been riding the pine all year led Texas on a five game win streak (including wins vs WVU, @TTU, and @OU) and they saved Shaka Smart's job.

And yet according to Shaka, Royce Hamm, a starter throughout that period where they literally saved Shaka's job, not to mention being a a key player in Shaka's NIT win, suddenly has not earned the right to play for Texas. Give. Me. A. Break. He makes one tweet that simply says, "loyalty means nothing" and you characterize that as "mouthing off on twitter", you question Hamm's work ethic, and you stick with the "Shaka knows best/Hamm must not deserve PT" line. get real. Hamm is in the right here, and Shaka has proven countless times that he knows dick about utilizing his rosters. this ain't even a tough one. fuck Shaka for this. 

• Hook 'Em 1

“Loyalty means nothing” is not an insignificant tweet. Maybe Hamm was justified because promises were made and not kept. Or maybe his minutes are justified because we have 7-8 guys who are better and he can’t deal with that. Who knows.

And you can’t really compare his minutes to Febres. They play different positions and one is much deeper than the other.

I personally don’t want Hamm getting minutes over Sims, K Jones, Brown or Cunningham. Hepa is a push.

On the other hand at G/SF we have 4 guys to fill 3 positions. Maybe 5 if you count Greg Brown. Febres needs to be get minutes and play well to give us depth in the tourney and to reduce covid risk.

9 hours ago, HookEm said:

Febres needs to be get minutes and play well to give us depth in the tourney and to reduce covid risk.

It'd be nice if Febres proved himself to be worth a shit but so far he's the most overrated player I've seen in a long time.

We've heard for 3 years that this dude is the best shooter ever. He's like 15% from 3 for his career. It's sad at this point. 

On 2/14/2021 at 2:49 AM, shadow_operative said:

was talking to my my mom about this during the game yesterday, about how if this was the late 90's or even early-mid 2000's that there would be *no question* that GB III was returning- none- and what kind a of leap a player like him makes from year one to year two when everything slows down. it's almost certainly better for his overall development to leave, but man, if he did return, he could be a Big XII POY candidate who leaves a more lasting legacy with the program and fans.

One thing i got from this post, your mom seems cool as shit...

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/15/2021 at 12:27 AM, HookEm said:

That is possible. It is also the most charitably-inclined way to assess Smart's role. As a public service, let me posit the opposite, least-charitable assessment.

Smart is fickle and capricious with players, so playing time and rotational space are in part determined by his whim. Some players see his Ubuntu corporate team-building bullshit as phony and maybe aren't great at hiding their feelings.

Smart is also thin-skinned and takes anything less than credulous buy-in as a personal affront. 

Royce Hamm might think he made his bones helping save Smart's overrated ass with last year's late rally and is frustrated to find that he still has to accept all of Smart's midwit motivational garbage like a bright-eyed, bushy-tailed freshman in order to get playing time he's earned on the playing and practice court. 

It's a personality conflict and while I'm not normally inclined to assume some 20-yr old kid is the mature one in the equation, I carry a lot of doubts about Smart's authenticity. What makes more sense to me than "suddenly, Royce Hamm stopped working hard and the coaches didn't think he could contribute!" is "Royce Hamm feels like a grown man treated like a kid and he's bristling at it, and Smart is making an example of him". 

Like I said, that's the least charitable way to assess the situation. 

Which is way more fun!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Also, Derka, nut is not the preferred nomenclature. Crazy person, please.**

** Been wanting to say this since morning. Post-dinner beers gave me strenf.

strenf and lenf are key to any successful post. that's why i post so long and use so many big words. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

strenf and lenf are key to any successful post. that's why i post so long and use so many big words. 

Speaking of Lance Blanks, Amin El Hassan of the old ESPN True Hoops podcast and the Dan Lebatard show often tells hilarious stories about the abject stupidity of a GM he worked for whom he refuses to name publicly but bares striking resemblance to our Lance Blanks (It's pretty easy to deduce who he's talking about just by knowing the Suns timeline for their front office). I'm not gonna lie after listening to Lance broadcast for the past several years I often wondered how tha fuck was he ever a GM and Amin's stories make it clear he was just as much of a dumbass running the team as he appears to be broadcasting our games.

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Haha 1

Just now, MotownHorn said:

I'd put it at 50/50

And honestly we could probably use it given that we haven't practiced since Monday.

And it's in Austin, right? Don't see the sense in WV flying into Austin given my understanding of conditions on the ground there.

Yeah, it is in Austin.  When they said campus was closed yesterday, I figured that would be the impetus to postponing it - not sure what the Big 12 is waiting for.  WV shouldn't even want to fly into town right now.  

We can't practice because campus is closed.  We have student athletes going to hotels because their apartments don't have power/water.  Neither the men nor women's team could travel for their games, and softball had to call off their game too because they couldn't travel. 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

We can't practice because campus is closed.  We have student athletes going to hotels because their apartments don't have power/water.  Neither the men nor women's team could travel for their games, and softball had to call off their game too because they couldn't travel. 

Big 12 leadership called. They'd like to know if this is a problem.

• Haha 1

This, to me, just reinforces how fucking bullshit "amateur" athletics and "student" athletes is.

Oh campus is closed through Monday because of bad weather, no water and little power?  No practice all week.

Buttttttttttttttttttttttt the Big 12 needs you to play a game on Saturday for some tv bucks, so suck it up. 

• Like 3