Texas basketball 2020-21: Not even Shaka can fuck this up...right?

Goo Punch

5 hours ago, Hornlover said:

Then there's the opposite, like in 2018-2019 where we lost 4 of 5 to end the regular season, lost our only game in the Big XII tourney, and then rolled through the NIT and won the natty.

Ah yes. That sweet, sweet NIT natty. I rewatch the games every fortnight. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Hornlover said:

Then there's the opposite, like in 2018-2019 where we lost 4 of 5 to end the regular season, lost our only game in the Big XII tourney, and then rolled through the NIT and won the natty.

that trophy doesn't say "consolation bracket" bitches it says "NATIONAL"!  champs is champs!

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I think some team takes a 2nd round flier on him. I'm not sure why you think 6'10" 250 is undersized, especially with the athleticism to switch and guard the perimeter in some situations.

Because I don't think he's 6'10" 250. I think 6'9" 240 seems more likely. Even if he is that big, with his skillset that is definitely undersized for the NBA. He can't handle the ball. He can't shoot. If he's a plus passer he hasn't displayed it much. He's decent on the glass but not great. There is no way he plays perimeter D in the NBA - as good of a defender he may be in college. He has soft hands and nice bounce and finishes well. You'd prefer guys like that have elite size and Sims doesn't. I'm trying to think of a good comp and I'm scratching my head. 

Kendrick Perkins is a funny comp but not far off the mark. Sims is a little smaller but more athletic. Although Perk's prime was like a decade ago. Different league today.

I'm not trying to bash the guy - sometimes guys like him pan out. But if he was really NBA-ready he wouldn't still be in college or missing from most draft boards.

Edited by ztejas

Ascribing to the theory that you can’t beat the same team 3 times in a season - we beat Tech before croaking to Kansas in the conf tourney.

One and done at the Big Dance.

One more truly horrible year of Shaka and then..,

Freedom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bohls...

While I got ya, here are nine things and one crazy prediction:

1. Backing his guys. Shaka Smart admitted Monday that he hadn’t seen the report of Texas' 24-member committee that basically absolved the school of any clear racial content behind the history of “The Eyes of Texas,” but the men's basketball coach told me he’s impressed with the way Longhorns athletes have dealt with it. “I think the student-athletes here, not just our team, have done a really good job of conducting themselves and navigating this stuff, expressing their opinions, listening to other people's opinions,” he said. “If they do disagree, doing it in a cordial way and in a respectful way. So I'm really proud of all the student-athletes here. And, remember, they, in a large degree, initiated a lot of this conversation, and not just about 'The Eyes of Texas,' but a lot of the things that have been discussed over these past several months. And that's a good thing. It's good that they have a voice, that they're willing to speak for themselves and for their families or communities." … He added, “When you're part of a family, there's going to be things you disagree on. But at the end of the day, if you have a foundation of care and love and respect for each other, you can get through anything." ... I've been asked why Texas A&M’s player-driven protest about the statue of former Confederate general and A&M president Sul Ross died down with the school insisting it will not remove the statue from campus and the furor over “The Eyes” did not subside. I said the alma mater is played at every UT sporting event whereas the statue doesn’t offer the same constant scrutiny as a 24/7 reminder. And, yes, the Aggies had an awesome season, which cures a whole lot of ills. ... Texas announced it would not require the players to sing the song, which is the best approach. But it also said the Longhorn band would not have to play it, a decision I oppose because it is the official school song and that represents a slippery slope.

Not well written by Bohls -- confusing 2nd part (underlined) but pretty sure this is Bohls talking??

Edited by LTtxfan

On 3/8/2021 at 10:35 PM, ztejas said:

I'll give us 45% against Tech, 50% against Kansas (which is probably too kind - I can't imagine beating Kansas 3 times) and 20% against Baylor. That's a solid 4.5%.

But I'm with you. IF this team does that, there is no way in fuck they lose in the first round. 

Outlook vs KU has improved, with 2 of their players now COVID ineligible. Hopefully sand aggy still demoralized from Sunday's 2nd half scoring clinic by Baylor.

1 minute ago, Hornster said:

Outlook vs KU has improved, with 2 of their players now COVID ineligible. Hopefully sand aggy still demoralized from Sunday's 2nd half scoring clinic by Baylor.

I'm more concerned about Kansas giving our guys the 'Rona and knocking us out for the next 2 weeks. The more I think about it, the more inclined I am to agree with @Bitterwhiteguy's suggestion that we take an early L and quickly extricate ourselves with extreme prejudice from the potential COVID superspreader event in KC.

52 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

I absolutely love how much Brown has embraced this team and winning with it. He appears to me to have a lot more heart/fire than a typical one and done

I mean both of his parents played sports here.  Like Sam he bleeds orange.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, HookEm said:

The risk is losing to Tech (currently projected to be a 5 seed) and basically swapping places with them.

I think we’re solid as a 4 either way. Could be wrong but I hope we get some revenge on tech and we’ll never know what would have happened if we lost.

14 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

I think we’re solid as a 4 either way. Could be wrong but I hope we get some revenge on tech and we’ll never know what would have happened if we lost.

Think we are a solid 4 at this point regardless too. Can work up to a 3 with wins over Tech and KU

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Bohls...

While I got ya, here are nine things and one crazy prediction:

1. Backing his guys. Shaka Smart admitted Monday that he hadn’t seen the report of Texas' 24-member committee that basically absolved the school of any clear racial content behind the history of “The Eyes of Texas,” but the men's basketball coach told me he’s impressed with the way Longhorns athletes have dealt with it. “I think the student-athletes here, not just our team, have done a really good job of conducting themselves and navigating this stuff, expressing their opinions, listening to other people's opinions,” he said. “If they do disagree, doing it in a cordial way and in a respectful way. So I'm really proud of all the student-athletes here. And, remember, they, in a large degree, initiated a lot of this conversation, and not just about 'The Eyes of Texas,' but a lot of the things that have been discussed over these past several months. And that's a good thing. It's good that they have a voice, that they're willing to speak for themselves and for their families or communities." … He added, “When you're part of a family, there's going to be things you disagree on. But at the end of the day, if you have a foundation of care and love and respect for each other, you can get through anything." ... I've been asked why Texas A&M’s player-driven protest about the statue of former Confederate general and A&M president Sul Ross died down with the school insisting it will not remove the statue from campus and the furor over “The Eyes” did not subside. I said the alma mater is played at every UT sporting event whereas the statue doesn’t offer the same constant scrutiny as a 24/7 reminder. And, yes, the Aggies had an awesome season, which cures a whole lot of ills. ... Texas announced it would not require the players to sing the song, which is the best approach. But it also said the Longhorn band would not have to play it, a decision I oppose because it is the official school song and that represents a slippery slope.

Not well written by Bohls -- confusing 2nd part (underlined) but pretty sure this is Bohls talking??

Smarts full comments below:

1 hour ago, MotownHorn said:

The one issue I can see is with the sheer number of Big 12 teams in the 3-4-5 range the NCAA could play funny with our seeding to avoid playing another big 12 team before the Elite 8 round. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

The one issue I can see is with the sheer number of Big 12 teams in the 3-4-5 range the NCAA could play funny with our seeding to avoid playing another big 12 team before the Elite 8 round. 

With 7 locks, it's not too hard to figure out an easy way to keep the teams split

Region I - 1 Baylor 3 Kansas

Region II - 3 Texas 5 Tech OR 4 Texas 6 Tech

Region III - 2/3 West Virginia  4 Oklahoma St.

Region IV - 6 Oklahoma

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, justhookit said:

There’s no way we are a lock for a 4 seed. In most computer rankings we are 20-25th.

Yeah but all of them include teams like San Diego, Loyola Chicago, BYU, and even Colorado high up in their rankings. 4 teams that appear nowhere near a 4 seed in anyone's projected bracket. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

Here is the actual criteria.  Computer ranks are not very important.  Our 6-6 Quad 1 record and 3-1 Quad 2 record is the bulk of our resume, and that Quad 2 loss was the OU COVID game, which would likely be thrown out when looking at our resume. 

Not to mention 6-2 in road games.  3-0 in neutral site games. 

Most important

• Games by quadrant, listing results and upcoming games
  • Records by quadrant, away and neutral
  • Non-Conference Strength of Schedule (SOS)
  • Overall SOS
  • Overall road and neutral records
  • Non-Division I losses

Some value

• Average NET win and loss
  • Overall record
  • Non-Conference record, road record

Not nothing, but not very important

• NET and other computer rankings
  • Overall home records, non-conference and by quadrant
  • Game scoring margins

Not criteria

• Conference records and standings
  • AP Top 25, Coaches Poll
  • Tournament history
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

probably but 3 losses to Tech and some weird seeding situation could put us as a 5 and them a 4.  how does each resume look with a loss to Tech.

On 3/9/2021 at 3:20 PM, ztejas said:

Because I don't think he's 6'10" 250. I think 6'9" 240 seems more likely. Even if he is that big, with his skillset that is definitely undersized for the NBA. He can't handle the ball. He can't shoot. If he's a plus passer he hasn't displayed it much. He's decent on the glass but not great. There is no way he plays perimeter D in the NBA - as good of a defender he may be in college. He has soft hands and nice bounce and finishes well. You'd prefer guys like that have elite size and Sims doesn't. I'm trying to think of a good comp and I'm scratching my head. 

Kendrick Perkins is a funny comp but not far off the mark. Sims is a little smaller but more athletic. Although Perk's prime was like a decade ago. Different league today.

I'm not trying to bash the guy - sometimes guys like him pan out. But if he was really NBA-ready he wouldn't still be in college or missing from most draft boards.

Get Sims with the "Shot Doctor" and he might end up like a "Serge Ibaka"

13 hours ago, dcar00 said:

probably but 3 losses to Tech and some weird seeding situation could put us as a 5 and them a 4.  how does each resume look with a loss to Tech.

Texas, with a loss to Tech, would have a resume that looks like:

• 17-8 record
  • 6-2 road record, 3-1 neutral record
  • 6-7 Quad 1 record, 4-1 quad 2 record
  • Best win: Road win over #13 NET Kansas
  • Second best win: Road win over #23 NET West Virginia
  • Third best win: Home win against #13 NET Kansa
  • Worst loss: Home against #36 NET OU (due to COVID issues, so likely thrown out in the eyes of the committee) 
  • 0-3 to Tech

Tech, with a win over Texas, would have a resume that looks like:

• 18-9 record
  • 5-4 road record, 2-1 neutral record
  • 5-9 Quad 1 record, 1-0 Quad 2 record
  • Best win: Road win against #24 NET Texas
  • Second best win:  Neutral win against #24 NET Texas
  • Third best win: Home win against #24 NET Texas
  • Worst loss: Home against #30 OSU
  • 3-0 versus Texas

We have the better top 3 wins (2 road, 1 home) and a better Q1 and 2 record (10-8 vs. 6-10).  

*This is all as of today's NET

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Tech, with a win over Texas, would have a resume that looks like:

• 18-9 record
  • 5-4 road record, 2-1 neutral record
  • 5-9 Quad 1 record, 1-0 Quad 2 record
  • Best win: Road win against #24 NET Texas
  • Second best win:  Neutral win against #24 NET Texas
  • Third best win: Home win against #24 NET Texas
  • Worst loss: Road against #36 NET OU
  • 3-0 versus Texas

We have the better top 3 wins (2 road, 1 home) and a better Q1 and 2 record (10-8 vs. 6-10).  

*This is all as of today's NET

Tech beat OU in Norman 69-67.

10 hours ago, Tex48 said:

ESPN and Google don't list a channel or even ESPN+ or anything.  Did no one pick up the rights for this game?

ESPN has the rights for the entire Big 12 tournament.  Early games on ESPN, evening games on ESPN2.