Texas basketball 2020-21: Not even Shaka can fuck this up...right?

Goo Punch

Yes, I have been saying all year that Greg Brown is a great rebounder.  Here's an update on a post I made back on Dec 1 comparing him to other recent bigs. I also added T Thompson, D James, Durant and Aldridge.

If you consider that Greg Brown projects to be a small forward at the next level, he is going to be provide some NBA team with a lot of value with his boards.  He has a style that honestly reminds me of Rodman at times when he goes after rebounds.  Like Rodman, he isn't the most fluid guy, but knows how to take a direct path to where the ball is going to be. 

2021 - G Brown:  14.9 TRB / 40 min, 19.8 TRB%, 9.1 ORB% 

2020 - J Simms:  12.0 TRB / 40 min, 17.8 TRB%, 12.5 ORB% 

2019 - Osetkowski:  10.0 TRB / 40 min, 14.5 TRB%, 9.9 ORB%

2018 - M Bamba: 14.0 TRB / 40 min, 20.2 TRB%, 12.2 ORB%

2017 - J Allen: 10.5 TRB / 40 min, 14.6 TRB%, 10.9 ORB%

2016 - C Ridley: 15.0 TRB / 40 min, 21.5 TRB%, 16.9 ORB%

2015 - M Turner: 11.8 TRB / 40 min, 16.7 TRB%, 7.2 ORB%

2011 - T Thompson: 10.2 TRB / 40 min, 13.8 TRB%, 14.0 ORB%

2010 - D James: 13.6 TRB / 40 min, 17.6 TRB%

2007 - K Durant: 12.4 TRB / 40 min, 16.5 TRB%

2006 - L Aldridge: 10.9 TRB / 40 min, 15.5 TBB%

• Hook 'Em 2

x/post from the game thread, and as long as it is, i think a lot of people here could stand to read this right now. 

listen, the refs sucked dick at a monumental level last night, but we cannot blame them for the loss. you blame the refs when you did everything you could to win and they just straight up jobbed you. last night was not that. we had countless terrible, inexcusable offensive possessions, particularly whenever we got the lead down to 4 or 5. prior to the final minute of the game (when Coleman was back in and getting the ball to the rim), every time we'd go on a 5-0 or 6-0 run to get close we'd have Jase Febres shooting an off-balance, pull-up three point shot that invariably missed, taking all of four seconds for the entire possession. one time when this happened Kai got he rebound and kicked it back out to Hepa who immediately bricked a three point attempt without blinking. every time we got close we got all antsy in our pantsy, and we would have won the game without that.

i've been harping on this aspect of our game all year, telling anyone who would listen that the litany of empty, plain old fucking stupid and mindless possessions that we have each game could be the difference in finishing 1st or finishing 5th in the conference, and now i've just watched our team lose two conference home games in a row, both of which we should have and could have won. meanwhile all of our fans are bitching about the refs like we deserved to win and they jobbed us- that isn't what happened.

this is something i learned from my dad; he never explicitly said this to me, but it's something i picked up on a long time ago, watching the way he observed and judged our teams. when you have a young, inexperienced, maybe undermanned, or thin team, a team outside the top 25 that's simply trying to make the tournament, *then* you start focusing more on the external factors that may have fucked you over. but when you have a legit great team, a legit top 10 team, a team that should make it to the Sweet 16 and beyond, that's when you put blinders on to everything going on around you, and you hold the team (players, coaches, trainers, walk-ons- the entire team) accountable for every result. "what could we have done better that would have resulted in a win?" that's how you approach each loss.

the refs were fucking garbage, and they absolutely seemed to be calling the game in OU's favor, but so fucking what? what does anyone gain by just blaming everything on them? guys: these. things. happen. there are going to be shitty refs in the NCAA tourney, and we may find ourselves short handed for a number of reasons. these. things. happen. this is exactly why, when you have a talented and experienced and totally legit team like ours, you look at yourself 100 times before you look at anyone else when you ask, "why did we lose? what could have gone differently so that we could have won the game?"

this league is tough; our conference tourney is tough; winning six straight games in March and April is tough, and you can bet your ass that over the course of these competitions that you will inevitably run into a close game with shitty officiating and everything going against you. so what do you do? the answer is you own it and take control of the game anyway. you do not worry about how shitty the refs are, or how short handed your team is, YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME. every single possession matters. 

go back and rewatch the second half from last night. go see how many completely fucking stupid and wasted possessions we had. go look at our shot selection throughout the second half. we shot 6-25 from deep and yet every time we got close we just. kept. firing. we had countless opportunities to go on on long, unanswered scoring runs, to get back in the game and take the lead, to force OU to waste timeouts, and to just take control of the game on our own and we blew it. time after time after time we blew it with indefensibly poor offensive decision making and execution. that lies 100% on our team- coaches and players both. fuck the refs. WE lost that game.

this is the only way that i know how to view a great team like this one. fuck blaming anyone else for a loss when we had the opportunity to prevent it. we should have put Tech away in our last home loss but we didn't because of our lazy, stupid offensive possessions. we should have come back and beat OU last night despite everything going against us, but we didn't, and it was not because of the officials, it was because of poor, lazy, plain old stupid offensive play, time and time again.

this team is way too good to be making excuses for them, even under last night's circumstances. it's a mentality that a championship team has to have. fuck the excuses, we are too good to be losing home games to inferior teams when we know we could have and should have played better. fuck covid, fuck the refs, fuck the super short week with only one eight man practice; all of those things went against us, and yet we still should have won, but we didn't. that's our fault. no one else's. and i can tell you right now that this team will either learn from these last two inexcusable home losses and grow from it, learning the value the ball and each possession that we have, becoming a mentally tougher team and an incredibly tough out in the postseason, OR, we will continue to not value the ball/our offensive possessions and we will lose more heartbreaking close games to good teams at important times. either way it comes down to our team, and what they decide- nobody else. this team is too good for lazy play and lazy excuses. it's on us.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 4

Didn't Read LOL | Know Your Meme

The refs can be sucky but also: 

We played a lot of weird rotations and a lot of guys who wouldn't have gotten nearly as many minutes due to Shaka's shorter rotation, had 3 main rotational players not been out.  There was not much of an option to yank someone because the guy behind him had 3 or 4 fouls. 

It's a miracle we lost by 1 considering we barely got to practice as a team.  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

x/post from the game thread, and as long as it is, i think a lot of people here could stand to read this right now. 

listen, the refs sucked dick at a monumental level last night, but we cannot blame them for the loss. you blame the refs when you did everything you could to win and they just straight up jobbed you. last night was not that. we had countless terrible, inexcusable offensive possessions, particularly whenever we got the lead down to 4 or 5. prior to the final minute of the game (when Coleman was back in and getting the ball to the rim), every time we'd go on a 5-0 or 6-0 run to get close we'd have Jase Febres shooting an off-balance, pull-up three point shot that invariably missed, taking all of four seconds for the entire possession. one time when this happened Kai got he rebound and kicked it back out to Hepa who immediately bricked a three point attempt without blinking. every time we got close we got all antsy in our pantsy, and we would have won the game without that.

i've been harping on this aspect of our game all year, telling anyone who would listen that the litany of empty, plain old fucking stupid and mindless possessions that we have each game could be the difference in finishing 1st or finishing 5th in the conference, and now i've just watched our team lose two conference home games in a row, both of which we should have and could have won. meanwhile all of our fans are bitching about the refs like we deserved to win and they jobbed us- that isn't what happened.

this is something i learned from my dad; he never explicitly said this to me, but it's something i picked up on a long time ago, watching the way he observed and judged our teams. when you have a young, inexperienced, maybe undermanned, or thin team, a team outside the top 25 that's simply trying to make the tournament, *then* you start focusing more on the external factors that may have fucked you over. but when you have a legit great team, a legit top 10 team, a team that should make it to the Sweet 16 and beyond, that's when you put blinders on to everything going on around you, and you hold the team (players, coaches, trainers, walk-ons- the entire team) accountable for every result. "what could we have done better that would have resulted in a win?" that's how you approach each loss.

the refs were fucking garbage, and they absolutely seemed to be calling the game in OU's favor, but so fucking what? what does anyone gain by just blaming everything on them? guys: these. things. happen. there are going to be shitty refs in the NCAA tourney, and we may find ourselves short handed for a number of reasons. these. things. happen. this is exactly why, when you have a talented and experienced and totally legit team like ours, you look at yourself 100 times before you look at anyone else when you ask, "why did we lose? what could have gone differently so that we could have won the game?"

this league is tough; our conference tourney is tough; winning six straight games in March and April is tough, and you can bet your ass that over the course of these competitions that you will inevitably run into a close game with shitty officiating and everything going against you. so what do you do? the answer is you own it and take control of the game anyway. you do not worry about how shitty the refs are, or how short handed your team is, YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME. every single possession matters. 

go back and rewatch the second half from last night. go see how many completely fucking stupid and wasted possessions we had. go look at our shot selection throughout the second half. we shot 6-25 from deep and yet every time we got close we just. kept. firing. we had countless opportunities to go on on long, unanswered scoring runs, to get back in the game and take the lead, to force OU to waste timeouts, and to just take control of the game on our own and we blew it. time after time after time we blew it with indefensibly poor offensive decision making and execution. that lies 100% on our team- coaches and players both. fuck the refs. WE lost that game.

this is the only way that i know how to view a great team like this one. fuck blaming anyone else for a loss when we had the opportunity to prevent it. we should have put Tech away in our last home loss but we didn't because of our lazy, stupid offensive possessions. we should have come back and beat OU last night despite everything going against us, but we didn't, and it was not because of the officials, it was because of poor, lazy, plain old stupid offensive play, time and time again.

this team is way too good to be making excuses for them, even under last night's circumstances. it's a mentality that a championship team has to have. fuck the excuses, we are too good to be losing home games to inferior teams when we know we could have and should have played better. fuck covid, fuck the refs, fuck the super short week with only one eight man practice; all of those things went against us, and yet we still should have won, but we didn't. that's our fault. no one else's. and i can tell you right now that this team will either learn from these last two inexcusable home losses and grow from it, learning the value the ball and each possession that we have, becoming a mentally tougher team and an incredibly tough out in the postseason, OR, we will continue to not value the ball/our offensive possessions and we will lose more heartbreaking close games to good teams at important times. either way it comes down to our team, and what they decide- nobody else. this team is too good for lazy play and lazy excuses. it's on us.

giphy.gif

• Empty possessions
  • poor shot selection
  • Refs sucked but not reason for loss
  • Team has to learn from mistakes
  • Shadow Derka knows TEXAS Basketball
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Not gonna lie--I had this down as a L if we didn't get back those we lost for OU. 

Glad this is cancelled.  Get the team some rest and get that walk-on some throwing practice. 

I think we for sure were getting Brock back, TBD on Ramey/Sims.

Just so frustrating that its 4-0 in favor of our opponent cancelling/pausing our games, but when we have issues, we've had to play. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

I think we for sure were getting Brock back, TBD on Ramey/Sims.

Just so frustrating that its 4-0 in favor of our opponent cancelling/pausing our games, but when we have issues, we've had to play. 

Right, but that's an Athletic Department/team decision from everything I've heard on reffing the women's side. 

1 hour ago, SDG said:

confirmed

Never thought a Kentucky basketball team would not want to play TEXAS.  Probably good cancellation though, because if Horns weren't in full force and lost, it would have hurt their possible NCAA Tourney seeding even more.

Get healthy, and play better guys...  Hook 'em 🤘 

I've been curious about this guy since he joined the staff. He was a G league head coach for a few years in both the Rockets and the Miami Heat organization, which outside of the Spurs has the best reputation for player development. I'm posting this before I finish the video so maybe he answers it, but I wonder what brought him down to the college game. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn