Texas basketball 2020-21: Not even Shaka can fuck this up...right?

Goo Punch

the best team we ever had was when we had (iirc) Ron Franklin, Bill Schoening, and Craig Way was doing the sideline reporting. After Ron and then Bill moved on, having Craig Way on pxp we haven't missed a beat. Texas fans have truly been spoiled when it comes to our announcing teams during my lifetime. 

• Hook 'Em 5

12 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

the best team we ever had was when we had (iirc) Ron Franklin, Bill Schoening, and Craig Way was doing the sideline reporting. After Ron and then Bill moved on, having Craig Way on pxp we haven't missed a beat. Texas fans have truly been spoiled when it comes to our announcing teams during my lifetime. 

Yes now if only we can get a targeted gamma ray burst or meteorite to take out Lowell Galindo we should be fine.

Edited by El Squared
  • Hook 'Em 5

Everything that bothered me about Craig's hosting abilities evaporated when he went through his wife's cancer diagnosis and ultimate passing.  I know, it happens, but he handled it with class and dignity, and I came to appreciate his goofy eccentricities all that much more as my respect for the man grew.  I hope he hosts and broadcasts for a couple of more decades at least.

• Hook 'Em 2

Obligatory... Fuck the Big XII.  Looks like pollsters had some sense about the situation.

Re: Craig Way

Before the big TV contracts for college football, you pretty much were stuck listening to the Esso\Exxon Radio Network sponsored radio broadcasts.  I grew up listening to Frank Fallon on Saturday nights in the fall. I consider Fallon to be one of the GOATs.  Schoening and Way are in that same realm.  Way calls UT games like he is calling a High School Championship game.  He pretty much keeps any bias he has in check.  The only time that *I* have heard him have a 'WTF' moment was the 2015 Okie State game.

I can get why people might turn him off from 10-12, but when it is game time, we are fortunate to have him calling it from our broadcast booth.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

The words out of his mouth are diplomatic & measured, the words out of his eyes are in all caps.

During blOU/tech game, Fran calling TEXAS out now that they'll be full force -- says time to beat Baylor and "show something".

Fuckin blOU game in Austin should not have been played... also hate Fran calling TEXAS games.

6 hours ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

The words out of his mouth are diplomatic & measured, the words out of his eyes are in all caps.

They were going to make BC play FSU with 4 scholarship players.  Luckily FSU had to postpone from their side. 

I don’t understand this bullshit and who decides 

9 hours ago, Js1 said:

They were going to make BC play FSU with 4 scholarship players.  Luckily FSU had to postpone from their side. 

I don’t understand this bullshit and who decides 

Each conference has their own rules, and they vary. This was part of Shaka's diplomatic version of a complaint; Kentucky had "a positive" and paused for 48 hours, and it doesn't sound like the Big 12 has that same mechanism.

In the Big 12 if you have 6 scholarship players available you have to play, though I don't know the consequences if they decline other than a forfeit.

10 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

During blOU/tech game, Fran calling TEXAS out now that they'll be full force -- says time to beat Baylor and "show something".

Fuckin blOU game in Austin should not have been played... also hate Fran calling TEXAS games.

Fran is usually fine to me, but this year he's been recycling the same talking points over and over more than I can ever recall. I'm used to him bringing up 2-for-1 at the end of every half, but this year he says the same half-dozen things about Texas every time they get brought up (country club last year but not this year, etc.) Maybe not being able to travel around to watch teams practice is impacting his ability to provide insight. I'd still prefer him over Vitale, who Texas has tonight. I will be watching the game on mute.

5 minutes ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

Each conference has their own rules, and they vary. This was part of Shaka's diplomatic version of a complaint; Kentucky had "a positive" and paused for 48 hours, and it doesn't sound like the Big 12 has that same mechanism.

In the Big 12 if you have 6 scholarship players available you have to play, though I don't know the consequences if they decline other than a forfeit.

It's also very easy for a team to say they have less than 6 due to contract tracing and nobody will say shit.  Like maybe we should have played a 6 to 7 player Baylor team earlier this year.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

Fran is usually fine to me, but this year he's been recycling the same talking points over and over more than I can ever recall. I'm used to him bringing up 2-for-1 at the end of every half, but this year he says the same half-dozen things about Texas every time they get brought up (country club last year but not this year, etc.) Maybe not being able to travel around to watch teams practice is impacting his ability to provide insight. I'd still prefer him over Vitale, who Texas has tonight. I will be watching the game on mute.

I guess you could say there will be a lot of mute points made tonight. 

35 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

It's also very easy for a team to say they have less than 6 due to contract tracing and nobody will say shit.  Like maybe we should have played a 6 to 7 player Baylor team earlier this year.

Exactly and this is clearly what Shaka was getting at without explicitly saying it. And you can tell which postponements are due to mostly contact tracing vs a multitude of positive tests by how quickly a team comes back for competition after a cancelation. 

43 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

Yeah no doubt TEXAS got screwed by B12 requiring them to play that game against blOU without out 3 key players available...

And Fuckin Fran's constant comments during that game saying TEXAS should still win without those 3 players was such bullshit !!!