Texas basketball 2020-21: Not even Shaka can fuck this up...right?

Goo Punch

I have no expectations for a win tonight; I just want to see the boys play hard.  They haven't fucking practiced together in 19 days and now get to play the #2 team in the country.  So I'll be watching and hoping for the best, but really I just want to see them start to progress and get better as the conference tournament approaches.  

I'll be fairly shocked if they pull off the W tonight.

Other than that, fuck you Big XII.  This conference is the worst.  

Yeah ESPN both on sports center and during the game wouldn’t shut up about blowu’s win streak and jump in the polls.I realize it was their big Monday game and all but still. They beat a Kansas team that is struggling big time,, a Texas team without 3 of our top players, and fucking Bama in basketball. Who gives a shit?

i know that everyone pairs Baylor and Gonzaga together this year but to me Baylor is the best team in the country. we were shit last year and we returned everyone plus one stud freshman and we're top 5 team this year Baylor was arguably the best team in the country last year and they too returned everyone and got older and better. i was looking forward to this game when i knew we were at full strength. now i'm just hoping to avoid a blowout with zero expectations of seeing anything resembling peak performance from our guys. just a shitty situation all around, but never say never, i guess.

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

i know that everyone pairs Baylor and Gonzaga together this year but to me Baylor is the best team in the country. we were shit last year and we returned everyone plus one stud freshman and we're top 5 team this year Baylor was arguably the best team in the country last year and they too returned everyone and got older and better. i was looking forward to this game when i knew we were at full strength. now i'm just hoping to avoid a blowout with zero expectations of seeing anything resembling peak performance from our guys. just a shitty situation all around, but never say never, i guess.

Both solid squads but if BU and Zags play 5 games, I'm guessing BU wins at least 3. Still its college hoops, so lets fuck em up.

15 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

greg brown's technical was some bullshit.  that was awesome.

Great dunk.  But you don't stand around after a play and stare down a guy.   You're going to get rung up 10 times out of 10 there. 

Stupidity on Brown's part.  The dunk cut Baylor's lead to 4 but the ensuing technical free throws negated the points and Baylor took off on a little run thereafter.  

It was dumb. Simply can't open yourself up to a tech in a high leverage game, especially not on something as inconsequential as mean mugging an opponent after a great play. We brought a lot of stupid to the game last night. Every time we gained a bit of positive momentum we immediately did something absolutely stupid to negate it. Andrew Jones' inexplicable behind the back pass to Greg Brown for no reason while we were up 2 with the ball was another example of stupid negating good play.

• Like 1

I don't know how much a Baylor result will tell us if this team is for real or not - since Baylor has done this to everyone they've played this season. It probably tells us that Texas isn't a realistic championship contender but that was largely a fantasy. This could still be an EE or FF team even being 14* points worse than Baylor. Baylor is that good.

The next 6 games should answer all of our questions. Okie Lite, KSt, TCU, OU, ISU, WVU.

If Texas doesn't win the next 3 then it's probably a sign that it really is the same shit different year with a better roster. A 2nd loss to OU would suck, too. I don't see them losing to ISU. Dropping the WVU game could mean different things depending on what happens in the next 5 - but this team needs to go 4-2 at absolute worst in these next 6 and 5-1 should really be the expectation. Something like 3-3 and I will start doubting their ability to win 2 let alone 1 tournament game. 

GB needs to step up. It's time. Show us why you were a top 10 recruit out of HS. The flash in one game disappear in the next routine isn't going to cut it down the stretch.

And on the tech - maybe it was a tech maybe it wasn't - I don't have a huge issue with them blowing the whistle there. The larger point is - why the fuck are you staring someone down? That was 2 of your 5 points all day. You aren't LeBron or Donovan Mitchell - get back on D.

Edited by ztejas

Shaka has had six years to prove he can take this program to the next level, and he simply can't do it.  I understand all those calling for him to be axed, but it's not going to happen, because the guy can recruit and he's got us sitting in the top ten.  

Best case scenario if you're wanting a new coach is two years from now.  I don't think he gets fired next year, especially if he makes the Sweet 16 this year (big if). 

Really frustrated with this program and feel like we're stuck.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Shaka has had six years to prove he can take this program to the next level, and he simply can't do it.  I understand all those calling for him to be axed, but it's not going to happen, because the guy can recruit and he's got us sitting in the top ten.  

Best case scenario if you're wanting a new coach is two years from now.  I don't think he gets fired next year, especially if he makes the Sweet 16 this year (big if). 

Smart is the Tom Herman of basketball. Yeefuckinhah.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Restinmybones said:

Smart is the Tom Herman of basketball. Yeefuckinhah.

No he's not.  Smart's not an arrogant, condescending asshole.  He doesn't think he knows it all.  He's a likeable guy.  He's an easy guy to cheer for.  

I don't even mind that he's a player's coach.  But at some point, you have to sit a Courtney Ramey down for doing dumbass stuff and he just won't do it.  You have to hold guys accountable for doing whatever the hell they want, and he just continues to allow them to jack up threes and take ill-advised shots during important moments in the game.  

Edited by Ghost of Shag
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Ghost of Shag said:

we're not really stuck.  we are choosing to be stuck with a guy who can't win a game in(and sometimes not even make) the tournament.  I don't really care if he can recruit.  the next guy will be able to recruit just as well.  If he can scrape out a 4 seed he should win the first game and possibly the second.  If it is 5 or higher he doesn't make the Sweet 16. 

Recruiting should be the least of our worries at this point and he's had plenty of chances to do something/anything and he can't do it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I don't know how much a Baylor result will tell us if this team is for real or not - since Baylor has done this to everyone they've played this season. It probably tells us that Texas isn't a realistic championship contender but that was largely a fantasy. This could still be an EE or FF team even being 14* points worse than Baylor. Baylor is that good.

The next 6 games should answer all of our questions. Okie Lite, KSt, TCU, OU, ISU, WVU.

If Texas doesn't win the next 3 then it's probably a sign that it really is the same shit different year with a better roster. A 2nd loss to OU would suck, too. I don't see them losing to ISU. Dropping the WVU game could mean different things depending on what happens in the next 5 - but this team needs to go 4-2 at absolute worst in these next 6 and 5-1 should really be the expectation. Something like 3-3 and I will start doubting their ability to win 2 let alone 1 tournament game. 

GB needs to step up. It's time. Show us why you were a top 10 recruit out of HS. The flash in one game disappear in the next routine isn't going to cut it down the stretch.

And on the tech - maybe it was a tech maybe it wasn't - I don't have a huge issue with them blowing the whistle there. The larger point is - why the fuck are you staring someone down? That was 2 of your 5 points all day. You aren't LeBron or Donovan Mitchell - get back on D.

ISU is about the only sure win. I expect 3-3 but it all depends on if AJ can carry us.  If he goes south on the offensive end...look out.

All y'all are so funny

3 months ago, it was "just another lost season, fuck Shaka, he can't do shit, we suck so bad"

Fast forward to Feb 3: We have 4 losses and are #6 in the country - 4 point loss to the #3 team in the country; a last second loss to a top-15 team in Texas Tech; a 1 point loss to #9 OU when we were missing 3 players and our head coach and a loss to arguably the best team in the country, by a mile, after 19 days of not having a full practice with our entire roster/staff. 

"We suck.  We will probably finish with a billion more losses and not even win a game in the tournament.  What a trainwreck!" 

I also hate losing to Baylor, Tech and OU too.  But come on.  If you were offered an 11-4 record in February, #6 in the country and #2 in the Big 12 a few months ago, and our only losses were to #2, #4, #9 and #13, everyone here would take it and be very happy/surprised/trhilled.  Now that it's reality - no one is happy. 

Edited by Js1

46 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

No he's not.  Smart's not an arrogant, condescending asshole.  He doesn't think he knows it all.  He's a likeable guy.  He's an easy guy to cheer for.  

I don't even mind that he's a player's coach.  But at some point, you have to sit a Courtney Ramey down for doing dumbass stuff and he just won't do it.  You have to hold guys accountable for doing whatever the hell they want, and he just continues to allow them to jack up threes and take ill-advised shots during important moments in the game.  

I realize he tends to be the fan whipping boy, but Courtney Ramey was hardly our biggest problem last night. He went 5-11 from the field, 2-4 from 3, and had 6 assists against 3 TOs. Coleman on the other hand, had similar shooting numbers but brought 5 TOs and only 2 assists to go along with them. Ramey has been a net positive this year. His biggest issue IMO is that too many times to count, he tends to be the ball stopper (Andrew is guilty of this as well, but he was the only one doing consistent work last night so it's excusable) who stunts the few occasions where we actually get into a groove with moving people and the ball around. Ramey is good passing the ball off a drive, but he routinely misses cutters or people rolling to the basket off a pick and roll while Andrew seems to have an inverse set of skills in this area. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Results for  years clearly show he'll never be any better than he is right now. If we wanted only "nice guys" at Texas, we'd still have Strong coaching football. Get that shit outta here.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Didn't mean to be nasty in my response. Like most Texas fans, whether basketball or football, I'm just frustrated.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Restinmybones said:

Didn't mean to be nasty in my response. Like most Texas fans, whether basketball or football, I'm just frustrated.

I hear you, man.  It has been that kind of decade.  And I get where you're coming from in relating Shaka to Herman as far as results are concerned.  I just can't relate a guy who I think is decent to Herman.  

But yeah, we're all frustrated.  2021 signing class sucked, football purgatory sucks, basketball purgatory sucks...pretty much the entire landscape of decision making over the last decade for the major men's sports, not to mention the Eyes fiasco and everything else.  

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

I hear you, man.  It has been that kind of decade.  And I get where you're coming from in relating Shaka to Herman as far as results are concerned.  I just can't relate a guy who I think is decent to Herman.  

But yeah, we're all frustrated.  2021 signing class sucked, football purgatory sucks, basketball purgatory sucks...pretty much the entire landscape of decision making over the last decade for the major men's sports, not to mention the Eyes fiasco and everything else.  

If I had any rep left, I'd give it to you.

This team is peak Shaka.  I have reasonable confidence that they can hang with everyone left on the schedule except Baylor, and will probably win 6 or so of their final 9 games.  That would be 17-7, a great improvement, with some luck in the Big XII tourney maybe a 2-3 seed in the NCAA tournament.

Next year, back to the same old shit.  Shaka is not the guy.

On 2/3/2021 at 9:03 AM, Wally Pryor said:

Great dunk.  But you don't stand around after a play and stare down a guy.   You're going to get rung up 10 times out of 10 there. 

Stupidity on Brown's part.  The dunk cut Baylor's lead to 4 but the ensuing technical free throws negated the points and Baylor took off on a little run thereafter.  

On Sportscenter immediately following the Brown dunk, they showed a player in the Tennessee game dunk over somebody, stare him down, and flex...no tech. Same night, different games, one got a tech and another did not. Neither should have gotten a tech, the taunting rule is way too strict. Refs are thieves of joy.

Baylor was in the middle of a 16-4 run when he did that dunk so the end was already approaching, but it hurt. Almost as much as going 0-3 from the free throw line later.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Js1 said:

All y'all are so funny

3 months ago, it was "just another lost season, fuck Shaka, he can't do shit, we suck so bad"

Fast forward to Feb 3: We have 4 losses and are #6 in the country - 4 point loss to the #3 team in the country; a last second loss to a top-15 team in Texas Tech; a 1 point loss to #9 OU when we were missing 3 players and our head coach and a loss to arguably the best team in the country, by a mile, after 19 days of not having a full practice with our entire roster/staff. 

"We suck.  We will probably finish with a billion more losses and not even win a game in the tournament.  What a trainwreck!" 

I also hate losing to Baylor, Tech and OU too.  But come on.  If you were offered an 11-4 record in February, #6 in the country and #2 in the Big 12 a few months ago, and our only losses were to #2, #4, #9 and #13, everyone here would take it and be very happy/surprised/trhilled.  Now that it's reality - no one is happy. 

Meh, let's see him get past the first weekend of the tourney and then we can talk.

• Hook 'Em 2

Surprised to see no discussion about today's game. This is another big one and can easily be a loss if the Horns come out flat or unfocused. Okie Lite has beaten Tech and Kansas and hung tough with WVU. The loss against TCU is kind of WTF but they are plenty capable of beating Texas on one of their good days.

Horns need a win to right the ship a bit and get some momentum back. A win and they keep a good pace for a 2 or maybe 3 seed - a loss today and it starts to drift more towards 4 or 5 seed territory.

30 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Horns need a win to right the ship a bit and get some momentum back. A win and they keep a good pace for a 2 or maybe 3 seed - a loss today and it starts to drift more towards 4 or 5 seed territory.

Agree with this completely.  With the cancellations it's been since Jan 16 since this team won.  A win today is crucial, particularly because of the way the end of the season is scheduled.

This is a winnable game on the road and would be a nice resume entry. The schedule is there to get back on track and secure a 2 seed, just have to execute. Absent any unforeseen COVID issues, this team has the pieces to run the table to finish out conference play.  Now I don't expect that to happen cuz basketball, but I think 6-2, with the losses coming from OU/WVU/KU/TTU is doable, and would get a 3 seed at minimum.

Shaka shell shock aside, there is still a very real possibility for Texas to earn a 1 seed.  They are definitely in the group vying for the the two open slots.  Much work to be done, but it sure feels nice to be able to give a shit about seeding again. To not have to discuss potential play-in game opponents is a godsend. I will relish this moment, however brief, for it is what being a sports fan is all about.

Coleman and Ramey need to play like upperclassmen.  Their ball security, "head down" drives, panicky play, and deflating shot selection (mainly Ramey) need to significantly decrease in order for us to have a chance to get back on track.  Opposing coaches are putting pressure on Coleman and Ramey and baiting them into poor decision making and they have been sadly inconsistent.

1 hour ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Agree with this completely.  With the cancellations it's been since Jan 16 since this team won.  A win today is crucial, particularly because of the way the end of the season is scheduled.

This is a winnable game on the road and would be a nice resume entry. The schedule is there to get back on track and secure a 2 seed, just have to execute. Absent any unforeseen COVID issues, this team has the pieces to run the table to finish out conference play.  Now I don't expect that to happen cuz basketball, but I think 6-2, with the losses coming from OU/WVU/KU/TTU is doable, and would get a 3 seed at minimum.

Shaka shell shock aside, there is still a very real possibility for Texas to earn a 1 seed.  They are definitely in the group vying for the the two open slots.  Much work to be done, but it sure feels nice to be able to give a shit about seeding again. To not have to discuss potential play-in game opponents is a godsend. I will relish this moment, however brief, for it is what being a sports fan is all about.

Don't we have to play Baylor again?

we are a 4 seed at best IMO.  which should get us to the second round.

It all depends on AJ.  our FT shooting is abysmal and will hurt us late in games.  Coleman playing well for the last conf games would help a lot.

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Don't we have to play Baylor again?

we are a 4 seed at best IMO.  which should get us to the second round.

It all depends on AJ.  our FT shooting is abysmal and will hurt us late in games.  Coleman playing well for the last conf games would help a lot.

Possibly, but there's two other postponed games for the Horns and three others for Baylor. Ain't gonna play all that between the end of the season and the B12 tournament.

As to seeding, my prediction for a 2/3 is predicated on beating two out of three of OU/WVU/KU, a sweep would make possible talk of a 1.  All of course assuming the Horns win everything else.  Not easy by any stretch, and must always factor in the Shaka statistic in the analysis, but still a glimmer in the distance.  Your pessimism regarding seeding is historically warranted under Shaka, but the numbers say otherwise this year. Texas has been a Top 10 team for the last seven weeks, as high as #4, with 3/4 losses on the season to Top 10 teams.  Absent a late swoon, a 4 seed would be an insult.

This may also be a weird year that sees a number of teams opt out of conference tournaments. Why take the risk if you're already sure of making the Tournament?  Too high a chance that there's covid around and your team gets contract traced out of the first weekend. Add in all the postponed (BU) and compromised (OU) games that teams have dealt with, and it's a complete mystery what the committee will do.

12 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Possibly, but there's two other postponed games for the Horns and three others for Baylor. Ain't gonna play all that between the end of the season and the B12 tournament.

As to seeding, my prediction for a 2/3 is predicated on beating two out of three of OU/WVU/KU, a sweep would make possible talk of a 1.  All of course assuming the Horns win everything else.  Not easy by any stretch, and must always factor in the Shaka statistic in the analysis, but still a glimmer in the distance.  Your pessimism regarding seeding is historically warranted under Shaka, but the numbers say otherwise this year. Texas has been a Top 10 team for the last seven weeks, as high as #4, with 3/4 losses on the season to Top 10 teams.  Absent a late swoon, a 4 seed would be an insult.

This may also be a weird year that sees a number of teams opt out of conference tournaments. Why take the risk if you're already sure of making the Tournament?  Too high a chance that there's covid around and your team gets contract traced out of the first weekend. Add in all the postponed (BU) and compromised (OU) games that teams have dealt with, and it's a complete mystery what the committee will do.

I could be convinced of a 3 if we don't play BU and they don't consider the OU loss at home.