Texas basketball 2020-21: Not even Shaka can fuck this up...right?

Goo Punch

To me, it feels like we're finishing either 6th, 7th, or 8th in the conference.  We're safely above the two bottom feeders.  I would imagine that gets us a 9 seed in the tourney.  Experts, is this close?  Say we finish a 9 seed, and lose the opener to the 8 seed.  How much of an underperformance would that rate?  Iow, is this current roster strong enough that an unbiased person should/would expect this team to finish in the top 4 of the conference and have a number 4 or higher seed in the tourney?  I would think yes, but CDC will probably use COVID as an excuse to give Shaka one more year.  If the talent reads 4th place or higher in the conference and we finish 7th or 8th, I think even the guy who doesn't pay attention says 'whoa, we've got a problem here'.  We're basically in the exact same position we were in this time last year, and the only hope at this point is that Shaka sees the writing on the wall, and goes after some other job that has a longer contract.  Let's face it, CDC is most likely still hoping like hell he doesn't have to deal with basketball after having to deal with football in December.  

One thing I think you can expect from CDC and that is no extension for Shaka, unless there is some magical turnaround and we go to the Elite Eight or better. 

21 hours ago, ztejas said:

I suggested this early on in the season and got panned for it. I still don't think he comes back but it wouldn't be the worst decision for him. 

Why would he come back to receive more of the same coaching wise? No player with a legitimate shot at the NBA should spend more than 1 season with Shaka's staff. His two biggest "success" stories barely get any time in the NBA.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

How much of an underperformance would that rate?

It would be like Mack winning 7 games with the '01 Longhorns.

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Why would he come back to receive more of the same coaching wise? No player with a legitimate shot at the NBA should spend more than 1 season with Shaka's staff. His two biggest "success" stories barely get any time in the NBA.

Definitely a big part of the issue with returning for him. If it was a better coaching staff it might be different, but if it was a better coaching staff maybe he'd be playing better and get drafted higher.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Definitely a big part of the issue with returning for him. If it was a better coaching staff it might be different, but if it was a better coaching staff maybe he'd be playing better and get drafted higher.

This is correct. A competent coaching staff would have him moving up the draft boards and not down. His athleticism is off the charts, his shooting his horribad. I get that he wasn't able to get to campus during the summer, but they should have been reworking that shot from the 1st day he stepped on campus.

After we beat UNC, anyone remember how Coleman looked? I thought he looked relieved, like he had just gotten some huge monkey off his back. It was like he had finally won his first tournament game or something. I thought it was weird.

Perhaps it was reflective of the soft, pandering, lackadaisical culture Shaka has instilled - treating a non-conference win like a conference championship.

19 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

After we beat UNC, anyone remember how Coleman looked? I thought he looked relieved, like he had just gotten some huge monkey off his back. It was like he had finally won his first tournament game or something. I thought it was weird.

Perhaps it was reflective of the soft, pandering, lackadaisical culture Shaka has instilled - treating a non-conference win like a conference championship.

You need to watch him more closely, he's a real dick to opponents in games. Early on in the OU game he hit a floater over Manek who fell trying to get a charge, and as he landed he just stared straight at Manek. He talks a lot of shit at opponents, but rarely gets called because he's usually smiling as he says it. On TV it looks like he's happy, but he's calling the other dude's mother something terrible after knocking down a three in his face. Hell, one of my favorite plays of the year was when he literally shoved Royce into defensive position in transition. Hamm ended up 10 feet further down the court and ended up blocking the shot. Coleman is a lot of things, but he ain't soft.

10 hours ago, ztejas said:

It would be like Mack winning 7 games with the '01 Longhorns.

Now this is the kind of analysis I can appreciate.  If browm had gone 7 and 5 in 2001 I would especially a firing.

On 2/7/2021 at 3:59 PM, orangecat92 said:

To answer somebody’s thought about being a historical collapse, if we lose every remaining game, we have the number 2 collapse in Texas history.  14-0 to 15 -13....from memory....not looking it up...is an all-timer.  

I believe when Wacker got hurt, we lost every game but one afterwards. A Cheerleader started, a walk-on, etc. 

In the dim recesses of my memory, ‘81-82 season perhaps. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/7/2021 at 12:27 AM, shadow_operative said:

Shaka does not have that in him. He just doesn't. again, people don't want to hear it, but sometimes a guy needs to be cussed out, and screamed at, and singled out, and embarrassed in front of his teammates. sometimes the entire team needs to practice two extra hours until the one guy gets it right. and it's not because the coach is an asshole with a fragile ego, it's because the coach is desperate to get the most out of his player, and everything else that he's tried isn't working. i doubt there's a single great player who's ever won an NCAA title without going through that a time or two. and i also doubt that Shaka has the ruthlessness required to get the best out of his players. 

Overall, I agreed with your post, but I'll suggest that screaming and cussing need not be part of the process.  I've never attended a Shaka practice, but nothing about him seems to be that kind of guy.  That said, tough love and extra work are absolutely required from time to time, personality be damned, and if he truly doesn't have it in him to make his guys better by pushing them, then he needs to be gone.  (Oh yeah, he also needs to learn how to manage a game, which he obviously can't do, and given the fact that leopards almost never change their spots, he needs to be gone anyway.)

3 hours ago, Mossyhorn said:

I believe when Wacker got hurt, we lost every game but one afterwards. A Cheerleader started, a walk-on, etc. 

In the dim recesses of my memory, ‘81-82 season perhaps. 

yeah, I remember it was definitely 81-82, and yesterday I looked it up and we did win 2 games and lost 11 after that.  I didn't notice if we made the tourney or not.  Don't think so.  The cheerleader business was during the Weltlich years, 6-22, 7-23 etc.  one of those.  

32 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Overall, I agreed with your post, but I'll suggest that screaming and cussing need not be part of the process.  I've never attended a Shaka practice, but nothing about him seems to be that kind of guy.  That said, tough love and extra work are absolutely required from time to time, personality be damned, and if he truly doesn't have it in him to make his guys better by pushing them, then he needs to be gone.  (Oh yeah, he also needs to learn how to manage a game, which he obviously can't do, and given the fact that leopards almost never change their spots, he needs to be gone anyway.)

i agree. intensity, focus, motivation, accountability, those are all necessary.  but there are other ways they manifest other than yelling/cursing.  

32 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

i agree. intensity, focus, motivation, accountability, those are all necessary.  but there are other ways they manifest other than yelling/cursing.  

2 minutes ago, Xian said:

Wtf is espn plus. I just assumed it was the same ad espn3 

It's a way for you to pay another $5.99 a month for the content you used to get with all the other ESPN channels you already pay for.

But hey, over on ESPN 2 at 8:00 you can watch the second round of the Australian Open.

Buncha cocksuckers.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

Hamm DNP tonight

Tweet from Royce says "Loyalty means nothing nowadays!" (in case it's deleted).

Rotations are fucked up... Hepa had some good minutes in 1st half, and don't remember him playing in 2nd half.

Kai Jones is a projected 1st Rd pick and didn't play that much tonight.

So I couldn’t resist looking it up, and in 1982 it appears we went 2 and 11 after the 14-0 start.  Right now we are 2 and 4 in our last 6, correct..not too far off percentage wise.  Should we end up 1. and 9 in last 10, is it possible we could miss the tourney...

We are finishing 3 and 7 for last 10 before conference tourney.   Don’t ask where victory 3 happens.  We finish ranked 25, get a 9 seed, lose by 10 in first game.  

Cdc, ball is in your court..what say u?

40 minutes ago, HookEm said:

In our 4 conference losses, we lost to:
#7 Tech by 2 pts
#24 OU by 1 pt
OSU in double OT
Baylor by a bunch just like everyone else

This team isn’t going to drop the next six. They will win 4-5 of them.

this post lies somewhere between disingenuous and pollyanna, or possibly just lazy/uninformed, but any way you slice it it's not good.

Tech: favored, at home, had a double digit lead most of the 2H, got lazy/sloppy/complacent, blew the lead and lost. Here's the win probability chart from that game:

37AC6336-2A01-4BF7-A0ED-619EFC9AE9AB.jpeg

meant to add this to the previous post, but ran out of time. kinda like Shaka, who's time here has come and gone.

OU: again favored, again at home, again we could have/should have won. the excuses are lame. before the game? sure, the lack of players/practice is a potential excuse for a loss. after having watched the game, and having seen how we shot ourselves in the foot time and again, having seen how stupidly we played down the stretch? damn the excuses. it's a game we should have won, at home, against our rival. period. but sure, paint this one as another tough, hard fought loss vs a great team. 

Baylor: not gonna diss Texas, not going to praise them either.

OSU: another game where we were prohibitive favorites, and another game that we *easily* could have won with maybe 1-2 fewer stupid/sloppy possessions, never mind the fact that we shot 5-35 from deep (don't ever stop, just keep shooting!) and went 0-12 from the field in both overtimes. Texas had a 74.6 % Win Probability with 1:15 left in regulation, and an 89.5% Win Probability with 0:04 left in OT, and we ended up losing by 8. but hey, just characterize it as another hard luck loss where the team played great and came up short against a juggernaut! 

K State: a truly awful team which, as noted, got their asses kicked by Fort Wayne State (not one of the 350 D1 basketball schools), squeaked past the University of Nebraska-Omaha by 2 points (UN-O is a team ranked in the 300's), has one win against a top 200 team, and yet we barely held on to win against this team by the skin of our teeth. But sure, please HookEm, continue to paint this rosy, retarded picture of Texas being a legit team that's taken some hard luck losses to some really really great teams. 🙄 

this is some armybrat/TS12 levels of delusion/sunshine pumping, and it's a lazy and stupid take. it's insulting to the few of us who've actually watched this team fuck itself sideways over the last five games. it's a blatant mischaracterization of what has actually taken place over the last five games/sox seasons, and there's no more room for that shit here. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, HookEm said:

This team isn’t going to drop the next six. They will win 4-5 of them.

If Texas plays like they did last night, they will lose against TCU, OU, KU, and WVU.  They will likely beat ISU, but it's on the road, so game is in play?  Almost exact opposite of what you propose.  

Texas' defense is so bad right now that well coached teams will eat them up.  Confusion and delayed decisions are not a sign of good coaching.

It was obvious that point of emphasis was to get the ball up court quickly, but if it is Sims bringing the ball up then that is a turnover ready to happen.  Again, well coached teams will feast on that.  

The hero ball on offense ain't gonna help when they don't shoot 67% from the field.  Last night in second half they shot 67% and increased lead to 17.  KSU came back on determined rebounding, defense and sloppy execution by Texas on defense.  Texas couldn't keep up high percentage of making shots and looked meek on the boards.  The future opponents will carve that up. 

Damn, I'm hungry. 

Edited by dogbreath
Take out extra spaces.