APD murders unarmed man while his hands are in the air

Goo Punch

A man was pronounced dead on Friday night after police responded to a 911 call about a man with a weapon in southeast Austin.

According to Austin Police Department, officers reported to the 2600 block of South Pleasant Valley Road around 6:32 p.m. after a caller said they saw people in a car doing drugs — one of whom reportedly had a gun in his hands.

The caller said the man also put the gun in the air at one point.

Given the vehicle description, Austin police believed the car may have been involved in a crime the day before. A group of officers responded and approached the car together when they arrived. The department said officers asked the man to step out of the car, and initially he got out, but did not comply with the officers’ commands. Officers say a woman was inside the car with the suspect.

APD Police Chief Brian Manley said in a briefing Friday night that after the suspect — said to be a Hispanic man in his 40s — refused to comply with officers’ commands, a “non-lethal” shot was fired at the suspect.

“He is yelling back at the officers various things and the officers are telling him not to get back in the car and to keep his hands in the air and telling him to step away from the vehicle. At one point, they decided to deploy the less lethal, because again they were not getting the compliance that they were asking for,” said Manley.

Manley says that after this, the suspect got back into the vehicle and drove out of the parking space — at which time the lethal gunshot was fired.

“When the officer fired the less lethal shotgun the suspect got back in the car, closed the door and begins to pull out of the parking space, turning right as he’s pulling out and at that point, the officer fired his lethal firearm, fired his rifle and the vehicle then drives down a short distance and appears to have crashed into a parked vehicle at that time.”

Manley says that it’s believed the incident is possibly linked to several crimes, including burglaries and an evading arrest incident. The man was pronounced dead at the hospital at 7:46 p.m.

APD says the officer who fired the less lethal shot is a member of the latest cadet class and has been on the street for three months. The officer who fired the fatal shot from a rifle has been with the department for five years, APD says.

Police say the investigation is ongoing and they are working to get a warrant to search the vehicle to find the weapon the suspect reportedly had.

The woman with the suspect in the car was unharmed, police say. She is currently detained and being questioned as part of the investigation.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/police-responding-to-officer-involved-shooting-in-southeast-austin/

It’s actually quite ingenious on the part of the rookie cop. First, you have to make sure the unarmed perp is next to a running car when confronted. Then, shoot at said perp with a “non-lethal” weapon. The perp, stunned and fearful, then instinctually jumps in the car, which as we all know is indeed a deadly weapon, and the rest of the cops can fire real bullets.

• Like 1

lol. Derka runs with an unsubstantiated headline from the clearly trustworthy and unbiased news source of World Star Star Hip Hop. Just stop dude. These posts are are predictable and trite as vic mackey, markstanco, or typical CR dense bullshit. 

also, terrified by the idea of someone looking to emulate PilotsError’s routine. Yikes. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/29/2020 at 12:06 AM, blacklab said:

How is something less lethal? It's either lethal or not lethal.

It's intended to hurt.  A lot.  Stun.  Stop.  Deter.  It's not a pillow full of feathers and a scratch on the ear.  It's the last item before the real weapons come out.  

According to Austin Police Department, officers reported to the 2600 block of South Pleasant Valley Road around 6:32 p.m. after a caller said they saw people in a car doing drugs — one of whom reportedly had a gun in his hands.

The caller said the man also put the gun in the air at one point.

If you do want to get shot by cops - this is probably a really good way to get it done.  

“When the officer fired the less lethal shotgun the suspect got back in the car, closed the door and begins to pull out of the parking space, turning right as he’s pulling out and at that point, the officer fired his lethal firearm, fired his rifle and the vehicle then drives down a short distance and appears to have crashed into a parked vehicle at that time.”

Jesus, play stupid games....

Apparently surly isn't keeping up with this case at all, even though news about it came out weeks ago. 

This guy was in his car with another person and a resident of the apartment complex called the cops on them with a report of a man with a gun. The report was false, there was no gun on his person or in his car. My man on the street guess says the original call was probably from a resident who didn't have the balls to go ask them to turn down the hip hop blaring from the car. Cops roll up on this guy, probably doing nothing but burning one in his car listening to music, and they point guns at him and then shoot him with a bean bag when he has his hands in the air only to shoot him with a real bullet when he jumps in his car and drives away from them.

But let's all trust the cops on this one, right? 

• 1 month later...
On 6/2/2020 at 8:24 AM, Gourmand said:

Apparently surly isn't keeping up with this case at all, even though news about it came out weeks ago. 

This guy was in his car with another person and a resident of the apartment complex called the cops on them with a report of a man with a gun. The report was false, there was no gun on his person or in his car. My man on the street guess says the original call was probably from a resident who didn't have the balls to go ask them to turn down the hip hop blaring from the car. Cops roll up on this guy, probably doing nothing but burning one in his car listening to music, and they point guns at him and then shoot him with a bean bag when he has his hands in the air only to shoot him with a real bullet when he jumps in his car and drives away from them.

But let's all trust the cops on this one, right? 

If I want to get rid of a rival, I'll just call the cops and report drugs and guns. Add in a something about being aggressive.  No mess, no fuss and it's free.

• Hook 'Em 1

So.....why did they shoot him dead again?  Because, ummm, "he didn't obey my orders and started to drive away" doesn't look to me to be sufficient justification for deadly force.  I didn't see a weapon.  I didn't see him drive the car aggressively towards anyone (a car can be a weapon).  I saw him refusing orders, and trying to drive away.  All things he should answer for in court....none of which justify killing him.

I skimmed to watch key moments, so am I missing something?

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

So.....why did they shoot him dead again?  Because, ummm, "he didn't obey my orders and started to drive away" doesn't look to me to be sufficient justification for deadly force.  I didn't see a weapon.  I didn't see him drive the car aggressively towards anyone (a car can be a weapon).  I saw him refusing orders, and trying to drive away.  All things he should answer for in court....none of which justify killing him.

By my eye, it looks like he was shot and then tried to drive away. Ramos had his hands up, asked the police "Man, what the fuck dog?", and then was shot. Go to 10:40 in the above linked video. He was murdered for non-compliance.

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, unless I completely didn’t hear or see that correctly, he got shot standing there. At that point, I’d say any action he makes is justified protecting his life. 

@Brothahorn “Don’t forget to say “cooking meth in they’re car”. That is what the transcript says. I’m no expert, but I don’t think people cook meth in their 4 door car in the apartment parking lot. 

9 minutes ago, Captainant said:

By my eye, it looks like he was shot and then tried to drive away. Ramos had his hands up, asked the police "Man, what the fuck dog?", and then was shot. Go to 10:40 in the above linked video. He was murdered for non-compliance.

yeah, he demonstrated clearly that he had no weapon. then he was shot, because the police got impatient. then he (rightly) figures they are trying to murder him, and tries to escape.

what the fuck dog indeed. jesus christ. there will be rioting downtown tonight.

5 minutes ago, Podrick's Magic Cock said:

I the first shot was a non-lethal weapon.  I think a saw a beanbag or something similar bounce off him.

That's what the report at the end of the video says.  Beanbag round.....then the guy with the rifle fires three shots.  And I have no idea why.  Seriously....I don't.

I just don't understand why the cops felt the need to escalate the situation. The guy was obviously freaked out and his hands were still in sight when they shot him with the beanbag round.
Especially when he expressed fear for his life. De-escalate and you'll be more likely to gain compliance.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Especially when he expressed fear for his life. De-escalate and you'll be more likely to gain compliance.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

100X this.  If you want to have a calm, non-violent interaction with someone, it seems obvious that perhaps the #1 recommendation is "don't point a bunch of guns at him."  

14 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

What was the history with the man? What were the charges? Did he have previous violence with the police? Why did they need to roll up with 4 cop cars guns drawn?

The report called in was that he was armed.

Of course, the lengthy interaction with him, outside of the car, indicated that was not likely to be the case.  At the time the shots were fired, there was no objective reason to believe that he was armed with anything other than the car, which was driving away and wasn't a threat to anyone.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

What was the history with the man? What were the charges? Did he have previous violence with the police? Why did they need to roll up with 4 cop cars guns drawn?

i don't know, but the police dude in their meeting before deploying said "it's going to be pretty obvious, we know this car and have been looking for it/dealing with it for a while now."

and those police were totally set up by that 911 call. they were led to believe that ramos had a gun drawn on the lady in the car, which the caller evidently completely fabricated. 

also, in the case of imminent threat, i would think that there would be a little more of a hurry, not roadside committee meetings. i'm all for good planning, but if he was an imminent threat, pointing the gun at the passenger, having a meeting before responding seems a bit of a luxury in an emergency. 

• Like 1

I don't know anything about Ramos.  I do know that he didn't deserve to die.   I mean, shit, if you want to keep the guy from escaping, aim all of that power at the tires.  He's not going to get very far.    

Those cops should never see another day on the force and they / the city need to pay for that senseless death.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Wally Pryor said:

I don't know anything about Ramos.  I do know that he didn't deserve to die.   I mean, shit, if you want to keep the guy from escaping, aim all of that power at the tires.  He's not going to get very far.    

Those cops should never see another day on the force and they / the city need to pay for that senseless death.

He was driving a Prius. That's all you needed to know.

Also, only the elite law enforcement officers from the Texas Department of Public Safety are allowed to shoot out tires. 

I watched the video again and it struck me how lucky the passenger is to be alive. She got out of the car shortly after Ramos got back in and had no choice but to disregard officers' commands to keep her hands up. She was faced with a terrible choice that was not of her doing. Smart of her to get behind that car asap. 

Edited by Gourmand