The longest college football field goal

Bullneck

Ron Hadfield, Abilene's former editor of the student newspaper The Optimist and current editor of the school's alumni magazine, remembers covering the game from the sidelines that day. He recalls people asking coach Wally Bullington why he tried to kick a field goal from that spot on the field.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/reporternews/obituary.aspx?n=wally-bullington&pid=189709320&fhid=15467

Edited by Bullneck

10 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

world record?

High School:

Dirk Ronald Borgognone (born January 9, 1968) is a former National Football League placekicker who currently holds the record for the longest field goal ever kicked in the history of high school football, 68 yards.

College:
Ove Claes Johansson (born March 31, 1948) is a former American football placekicker and the current holder of the record for the longest field goal ever kicked during an American football game, at 69 yards (63 m), for Abilene Christian University in their October 16, 1976 victory over East Texas State.

NFL:
64 yards.  The longest field goal kick in NFL history is 64 yards, a record set by Matt Prater on December 8, 2013. The previous record was 63, originally set by Tom Dempsey (1970) and then matched by Jason Elam (1998), Sebastian Janikowski (2011), David Akers (2012), Graham Gano (2018), and Brett Maher (2019).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bullneck said:

Ron Hadfield, Abilene's former editor of the student newspaper The Optimist and current editor of the school's alumni magazine, remembers covering the game from the sidelines that day. He recalls people asking coach Wally Bullington why he tried to kick a field goal from that spot on the field.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/reporternews/obituary.aspx?n=wally-bullington&pid=189709320&fhid=15467

With plenty of room to spare...  damn. 

I have no idea how far they would have been good from but Alex Henery vs. Texas in 2009 was nailing em deep from 50+ and they were crossing near the tops of the goal posts that kid had a fricken leg, only reason Nebraska was even in the game offensively.  I'm surprised he didn't last in the NFL longer, he was one of the best they ever had and they've had some damn good ones.

16 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I was at the game when Erxleben set the NCAA record against Rice in 1977.  If I recall it right they set the hold up an extra yard or two back from the line of scrimmage.  The kicker from Arkie tied it two weeks later.

I remember following Erxleben, Little from Arkansas and Franklin from A&M.  They were all trying to outdo one another.  Back then, if you missed the field goal and it ended up in or through the end zone, the opposing team got the ball back on their own 20 just like a touch-back.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

I have no idea how far they would have been good from but Alex Henery vs. Texas in 2009 was nailing em deep from 50+ and they were crossing near the tops of the goal posts that kid had a fricken leg, only reason Nebraska was even in the game offensively.  I'm surprised he didn't last in the NFL longer, he was one of the best they ever had and they've had some damn good ones.

Oh yeah that was one of the 9 times Texas beat Nebraska, right?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

Post 13 and Phil Dawson hasn't been mentioned???

Fuck all of you.

Well, wiki says his longest is 57 yards.  But, in the spirit of cooperation I'll allow this slight threadjack.  Rather than put up one of those 64bit VHS taped minute long highlights, here's the entire game.  Skip to 2:46:00 if you are so inclined:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bullneck said:

Well, wiki says his longest is 57 yards.  But, in the spirit of cooperation I'll allow this slight threadjack.  Rather than put up one of those 64bit VHS taped minute long highlights, here's the entire game.  Skip to 2:46:00 if you are so inclined:

The way the wind was blowing, that thing went way longer.   

On 4/26/2020 at 9:06 AM, Bullneck said:

High School:

Dirk Ronald Borgognone (born January 9, 1968) is a former National Football League placekicker who currently holds the record for the longest field goal ever kicked in the history of high school football, 68 yards.

College:
Ove Claes Johansson (born March 31, 1948) is a former American football placekicker and the current holder of the record for the longest field goal ever kicked during an American football game, at 69 yards (63 m), for Abilene Christian University in their October 16, 1976 victory over East Texas State.

NFL:
64 yards.  The longest field goal kick in NFL history is 64 yards, a record set by Matt Prater on December 8, 2013. The previous record was 63, originally set by Tom Dempsey (1970) and then matched by Jason Elam (1998), Sebastian Janikowski (2011), David Akers (2012), Graham Gano (2018), and Brett Maher (2019).

Well, sure- if I was a 28 year old college player I'm sure I could kick a 69-yarder too...!