Beastie Boys Doc - Apple TV

Yev Kassem

Any fan of the Beasties will thoroughly enjoy this doc. Great backstory to the group and includes highs and lows throughout their career. 

Several poignant moments for MCA are sprinkled in, so give it a watch if you want to know more about their history. 

• Like 5

Posted in the nonNetflix thread, but I’ll repeat it here. I’m not a fan and paid little attention to them growing up. I had an 8 track player in my first truck in ‘94, so I spent all my time listening to classic rock. Saying that, this was an excellent documentary that was worth a watch. The style they did it in with a more interview feel with background video was much better. I finished it and ended up spending another hour or so reading old Rolling Stones articles and other interviews.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 1:12 PM, Brew said:

Posted in the nonNetflix thread, but I’ll repeat it here. I’m not a fan and paid little attention to them growing up. I had an 8 track player in my first truck in ‘94, so I spent all my time listening to classic rock. Saying that, this was an excellent documentary that was worth a watch. The style they did it in with a more interview feel with background video was much better. I finished it and ended up spending another hour or so reading old Rolling Stones articles and other interviews.

You had an 8 track in 94? That has to be a typo. I last used a matchbook around 78.

31 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

You had an 8 track in 94? That has to be a typo. I last used a matchbook around 78.

‘78 K5 Blazer with an 8 track and also had one at home in the old cabinet style setup. They used to make these briefcase like carriers for your 8 tracks, so I carried my Dad’s collection until I changed everything out to a more modern system. Stuck with classic rock anyways.

Thought it was fantastic but I am a huge Beastie Boys fan.  Less detailed than the book but still cool because of all of the old pictures/videos and music.  The end got a little dusty and stay for the credits.   Saw them in Miami at the Miami Baseball Stadium during the tour with Run DMC and also in New Orleans on the same tour.  Last time I saw them live was in Austin around 1992 or 1993 at auditorium near town lake.  It was a small crowd and a bunch of people were moshing up front so a lot different than the Run DMC crowd.  

I love the Beastie Boys, but I heard it's all them apologizing for the 80s like some bitches. Is this true? 

I don’t think so. More like they grew up and their tastes and motivations changed.

It’s retrospective, so yeah you’re gonna hear them make comments about what they regret or wishes they could have done differently.

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, nolongerU2horn said:

Watched last night. I loved all of the home movies and old pics--really amazing that they had all of that, really. But I very much did not enjoy that it was entirely scripted. I will have to read the book, I think.

I agree.  I didn't love the format.  Also, it was just them telling the story the way they wanted it told.  I watched it right when it came out, so maybe my memory is faded, but was anyone else even interviewed for it?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the documentary last night and really enjoyed it. The Nostalgia factor had a lot to do with it. Their explanation of the evolution of the Beastie Boys mirrored how I experienced their music.

The comment about Licensed to Ill being something most people had grown past was spot on. I wasn't into Paul's Boutique when it came out but circled back to it when Check Your Head was released. Check Your Head was a perfect fit for the time it came out. At least for me.

I was one of those that had a mental boner the first time I saw the Sabotage video. That shit was awesome.

When Ill communication came out I was reading a lot of Kerouac and learning about Buddhism. I used to play Shambala on repeat smoke some pot and then study. Shit used to lock me in for some reason.

Finally watched it.

I loved it.  I used to jam to License to Ill on my cassette deck in the 80's. in Jr High.

I have to say, I was one of the peeps that passed on Paul's Boutique when I was in HS.  

I saw them 2 times after, in San Antonio, We were in the mosh pit passing dudes around :)

A few years later we saw them at the Frank Erwin.

They are one of the few bands I bought all the cds,  My favorite is still...  The In Sound from Way Out!    All Instrumental.  So funky, If you haven't listened to it you should.

https://open.spotify.com/album/0nA01XOVBUoi1zDVVYKz4i?si=eJJNHL-YTs-7inlE_YpQSQ

Edited by BNB

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Just revisited this for some reason.  I'm not saying we were peaking as a society at this moment.  But things were pretty, pretty, pretty good by comparison.  This video mated so perfectly with the song.  Just great.  I can't say it's my favorite track (nor my kids' favorite track), but I feel like I need to make sure they've seen it.  And the performance at the VMAs was sick sick sick!

Edited by dcbc

14 hours ago, dcbc said:

Just revisited this for some reason.  I'm not saying we were peaking as a society at this moment.  But things were pretty, pretty, pretty good by comparison.  This video mated so perfectly with the song.  Just great.  I can't say it's my favorite track (nor my kids' favorite track), but I feel like I need to make sure they've seen it.  And the performance at the VMAs was sick sick sick!

• Haha 1

And I looked this up a long time ago, b/c I had to know where "If it's that kind of party, I'll stick my dick in the mash potatoes."     came from...
I've used that line many times in my life.

https://dangerousminds.net/comments/famous_beastie_boys_sample_revealed

Just seeing this post. Used this line many times in my life as well. Also loved it when Guzman drops it in Waiting….

On 5/14/2023 at 5:47 PM, dcbc said:

Related, I just watched this Vice show on Spike Jonze.  It is mainly from a skateboarding perspective, but they touch briefly on the sabotage video (and a skate video that was almost the same):

• Hook 'Em 1