Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

Abbott press conference going on right now.

Existing stay-at-home order expires 4/30 and will not be renewed.

All local orders are superseded if they conflict with state order. 

Phase 1 of re-opening begins Friday 5/1. Retail, restaurants, movie theaters and malls can re-open at 25% occupancy levels.

Phase 2 will begin on Monday 5/18 if infection data remain steady and no setbacks. Capacity can increase to 50%. Bars, gyms, barber shops, and other additional categories will be considered for re-opening in Phase 2. No decision yet on those. 

Rural counties with very limited case numbers may be able to skip ahead to Phase 2.  Apparently this would apply to almost half the state.

21 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I haven’t seen his statements, but I suppose the logistics of Phase 1 and Phase 2 seem reasonable enough on paper.    However:

1.  Superseding local rules that impose additional limits is ridiculous and I would think illegal.   Not only is population density a huge factor in the spread, but realistically there are about  7-8 metro areas in the state whose hospitals will be treating everyone, including all the rural and small town people.  Telling the cities things are golden and suck it up because Eden hasn’t been hit hard is absurd. 

2.  It would be one thing if our population could be trusted to distance on their own like Sweden.   We won’t.   We already weren’t as of the end of last week when it was just hinted that Abbott wouldn’t renew the stay at home.   Now that it’s official, there will be no gradual reopening.  Everyone is just going to go buck wild until cases ramp up and they get scared again.

I thought we shouldn't reopen anything because it won't be the same anyway?

The CR types will stay home. The DT types will be on the patio at Chuy's with my family on Friday afternoon.

When someone gets sick with social media posts downplaying the virus, yall will celebrate.

When the world doesn't end over the summer, DT types will celebrate.

Time is a flat circle

Edited by GRHorn
  • Like 5
  • Fuck You 5

Well yeah but if those business CAN be open then their insurers probably don't have to pay business interruption claims and the state won't have to pay anyone who says "Yeah fuck that!" when they get called back to sling cocktails for any swinging dick off the street, which is the entire point of this exercise. 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

The CR types will stay home. The DT types will be on the patio at Chuy's with my family on Friday afternoon.

When someone gets sick with social media posts downplaying the virus, yall will celebrate.

Time is a flat circle

Man, fuck you for this bullshit.  I don't want anyone to get sick.  

• Like 4

Just now, GRHorn said:

Time is a flat circle

the world won't end for all of us but for 100,000+ it will. if you get out of this thing without being directly touched by it then you are very lucky.

Edited by 4th&Five
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

What is a "bar" and what is a "restaurant" ???

a restaurant is where I tell my wife I am headed.  Bar is where the guys think we are headed. Strip club is where we really end up.

Edited by Dbeasy
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Man, fuck you for this bullshit.  I don't want anyone to get sick.  

Don't be such a pussy.

Of course not every poster on here will, but all you have to do is look at the other thread. Anytime someone who was at a protest gets sick, Karma! Etc

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 3

Just now, Xian said:

The deaths from the second wave will be on his hands. 

its as simple as that. 

I don’t see how this doesn’t fail horrible unless we up testing and tracing drastically. 

Testing doesn't matter!  We just have to see who winds up in the hospital/dies but also we are feverishly working to increase the testing capacity that doesn't matter because God forbid we wait 2 more weeks to get that in place! 

22 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Will those kinds of businesses be profitable at 25% capacity?  Seems like they'd be better off staying closed.  I guess we'll find out.

Most restaurants aren't going to be profitable at anything less than 75% capacity.  So they're in much better shape staying closed.  And I think Abbott knows that.

17 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

Well yeah but if those business CAN be open then their insurers probably don't have to pay business interruption claims and the state won't have to pay anyone who says "Yeah fuck that!" when they get called back to sling cocktails for any swinging dick off the street, which is the entire point of this exercise. 

That's what this is all about--it's a sop to the insurance industry.

• Like 4

Lol this is a horrible idea

Our surgical hospital (which does about 400-500 cases a month) applied for a covid testing machine over a month ago and isnt going to be receiving it until may 28th.

heaven help the other places trying to get one. In no way, shape, or form do we have the logistical side of this down enough to even think about opening at this time

be ready for another shelter in place coming around late june/early july

6 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I won’t even be happy if you get sick, despite your implications.   I hope you do get to celebrate this summer.   Maybe you could even broaden your celebration to being happy about widespread death and misery coming to an end, in addition to the obvious joy you’d get from being kind of right about something political on the internet.

I am happy that Corona, to this point, has been underwhelming. I was an alarmist originally.

At this point I think we'll get to have a relatively normal summer. Fingers crossed. The fall/winter will be a different story.

I get little joy from being right on the internet. It's provided diminished utility over time.

4 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Lol this is a horrible idea

Our surgical hospital (which does about 400-500 cases a month) applied for a covid testing machine over a month ago and isnt going to be receiving it until may 28th.

heaven help the other places trying to get one. In no way, shape, or form do we have the logistical side of this down enough to even think about opening at this time

be ready for another shelter in place coming around late june/early july

Have you had to use all your PTO?  Is your group paying you?

3 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

That's what we've been doing with one family. 

What am I talking about? I'm talking about sex, boy. What the hell are you talking about? I'm talking about l'amour. I'm talking me and Dot are swingers...as in "to swing.I'm talking about wife-swapping. I'm talking about what they call open marriage.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, GRHorn said:

Have you had to use all your PTO?  Is your group paying you?

We dont get PTO, only get paid if we work (which is fine, im down for that). Lost 20k in the last month because we didnt work until last week with the shut down

Im totally in favor for being shut down for another 3 weeks or so. My fear is that we have opened wayyyy too soon and will be forced to shut down another 2-3 times before this is all over

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Time is a flat circle

And when we have another stay at home order?

6 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I am happy that Corona, to this point, has been underwhelming. I was an alarmist originally.

At this point I think we'll get to have a relatively normal summer. Fingers crossed. The fall/winter will be a different story.

I get little joy from being right on the internet. It's provided diminished utility over time.

60k dead is underwhelming?  Glad we didn’t get your whelming scenario.  

we’re Headed to 100k.  I’ll celebrate being under that by fall.

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

1.  Superseding local rules that impose additional limits is ridiculous and I would think illegal.   Not only is population density a huge factor in the spread, but realistically there are about  7-8 metro areas in the state whose hospitals will be treating everyone, including all the rural and small town people.  Telling the cities things are golden and suck it up because Eden hasn’t been hit hard is absurd. 

I've driven through Eden several times.  That place has been hit hard with something.

10 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Underwhelming. Wow. 

6 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

And when we have another stay at home order?

That's probably going to happen anyway during the next cold/flu/Rona season. I'd say 75% chance.

I say when there's a window here in the summer we take advantage of it.

As I've said before I think the only tweak might be letting kids stay in school. Not because it's necessarily the right thing to do, but because when the utility of public education becomes truly questioned in the fall, there will be push from the Left to keep kids in school.