Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

4 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

60k dead is underwhelming?  Glad we didn’t get your whelming scenario.  

we’re Headed to 100k.  I’ll celebrate being under that by fall.

And for him to use the word underwhelming. It literally means to be unimpressed, disappointed. So GR has so far been disappointed and unimpressed with almost 60,000 fellow Americans. Trumpism must be cut from our body in November. It’s a catastrophe this is happening with them at the helm, but not unexpected. 

3 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

That's probably going to happen anyway during the next cold/flu/Rona season. I'd say 75% chance.

I say when there's a window here in the summer we take advantage of it.

As I've said before I think the only tweak might be letting kids stay in school. Not because it's necessarily the right thing to do, but because when the utility of public education becomes truly questioned in the fall, there will be push from the Left to keep kids in school.

You really think it will be the Left will be the ones forcing kids back to school? LOL you’re fucking delusional. Who’s been herp derping at state capitols recently?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

60k dead is underwhelming?  Glad we didn’t get your whelming scenario.  

we’re Headed to 100k.  I’ll celebrate being under that by fall.

6 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

Underwhelming. Wow. 

Yes for the vast majority of the country it has been underwhelming.

Even when you include the NY catastrophe in the grand total for the country, it is much less than original projections.

At some point you have to attempt to balance the toll of the virus and the economic and public health toll of a Great Depression scenario.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Don't be such a pussy.

Of course not every poster on here will, but all you have to do is look at the other thread. Anytime someone who was at a protest gets sick, Karma! Etc

I’m fine with everyone of those protestors dying. It’s not about being right or winning. It’s that stupid fucks like that put my family and friends in jeopardy because they have to go a few months without a haircut. Fuck anyone supporting that shit. 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

And for him to use the word underwhelming. It literally means to be unimpressed, disappointed. So GR has so far been disappointed and unimpressed with almost 60,000 fellow Americans. Trumpism must be cut from our body in November. It’s a catastrophe this is happening with them at the helm, but not unexpected. 

I'm not voting for Trump.

I haven't been disappointed. Unimpressed might be a strong word, but having gone through all the Corona prep in medical field and seeing everything overturned and it ending with hospital employees being furloughed because of low census, makes you question if we've struck the right balance. I thought it would be far worse here in Texas.

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

I’m fine with everyone of those protestors dying. It’s not about being right or winning. It’s that stupid fucks like that put my family and friends in jeopardy because they have to go a few months without a haircut. Fuck anyone supporting that shit. 

atta boy

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Yes for the vast majority of the country it has been underwhelming.

Even when you include the NY catastrophe in the grand total for the country, it is much less than original projections.

At some point you have to attempt to balance the toll of the virus and the economic and public health toll of a Great Depression scenario.

Don't bother. To them the only thing that matters is orange man bad. Theyre always going to play the righteous card no matter what the numbers are. In reality, they watch the news with glee at the thought of this thing costing Trump the election. The last thing in the world they want is for this economy to get back on track no matter who it hurts. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

To all the people who think it's suicide to open anything, at what point would you be ok with some relaxing of these standards?

Is there a case number you have in mind? (It'll never get to zero)

Is it until there's a vaccine? (Next spring at the earliest)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Caddox said:

Don't bother. To them the only thing that matters is orange man bad. Theyre always going to play the righteous card no matter what the numbers are. In reality, they watch the news with glee at the thought of this thing costing Trump the election. The last thing in the world they want is for this economy to get back on track no matter who it hurts. 

I watch the news with absolute disgust and embarrassment at how the squatter in the White House completely bungled the response. You’re right though, I do watch the news and hope this brings down trump. Just like I hoped every one of his myriad  scandals and embarrassments would be his end. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Yeah that's not batshit crazy, at all

My theory is that there will a sizable amount of people that will decide next fall that "distance learning" is inadequate and will pull their kids from school to do their own homeschooling. That will upset certain people without a doubt.

We've seen major cities and regions all over the world, including in the US, completely overwhelmed by sick and dying people, with a tally count at 60k+ and growing every day, and we have someone on here (a Dr?) saying he's underwhelmed by it.  Wow.

• Like 2

Just now, SubliminalHorn said:

I watch the news with absolute disgust and embarrassment at how the squatter in the White House completely bungled the response. You’re right though, I do watch the news and hope this brings down trump. Just like I hoped every one of his myriad  scandals and embarrassments would be his end. 

Perhaps yall shouldve nominated someone besides a brain decayed child predator and you might have a chance. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

Just now, Dbeasy said:

We've seen major cities and regions all over the world, including in the US, completely overwhelmed by sick and dying people, with a tally count at 60k+ and growing every day, and we have someone on here (a Dr?) saying he's underwhelmed by it.  Wow.

We have passed the first wave here in Texas without a big impact. Here the vastly bigger impact has been from the government actions fighting it.

Would you dispute that?

It’s fascinating that you don’t see any irony in this statement. If nothing else, trumpkins should be sociologically studied.  

You'll have 4 more years to put something together. 

I’m not a sociologist. It’ll be a brave soul who decides to really try to probe those deplorable troglodytes. 

Thats too bad then bc anyone with enough TDS to do it is guaranteed a huge pussy. 

• Fuck You 2

It's useful to keep actual numbers for our area in mind when talking about re-opening.    Since testing is pathetically low, we can't know the actual number of people who have it, but the whole point of flattening the curve was to protect the health care system. Even with Poor testing, the Hospitalization and Death rate should be correct.

The Austin/Travis county numbers for Hospitalizations are only reported for the entire 5-county MSA, so here are the stats for the MSA. 

County

Confirmed

Deaths

Recovered

Active

Population

Travis

Williamson

Hayes

Bastrop

Caldwell

MSA Stats:

• Total Population: 2.23 Million
  • Total Confirmed Cases: 1927
  • Current Active Cases: 1,249
  • Total Deaths: 48
  • Current Hospitalizations: 66   (5.3% of current confirmed cases)

There are only 66 people currently hospitalized in the entire MSA. That's a pretty good 'flattened' curve.   

Also, of the Travis County deaths, there have been only 14 (fourteen) under the age of 70.

I'd say these number strongly support a staged re-opening.

Edited by 0xdeadbeef
  • Like 3

Just now, Caddox said:

Someone else. Trump already got elected. 

Who could have guessed that electing an orange narcissistic serial woman abuser TV game show host conman moron who turned his $400m+ inheritance into multiple bankruptcies wouldn't work out so well?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Caddox said:

Newsflash, asshat, not everyone has the same dysfunctional psychotic thought processes as you.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 6th Street said:

Real talk - is it financially beneficial for waiters and restaurant staff to give up unemployment for 25% restaurant capacity?

No. And it isn’t worth it for the restaurant to hire more staff back either. Max 25% capacity and that’s hoping it even gets to capacity which I doubt it will for a while. They’re basically going to use the same staff that have been working in take out the last several weeks. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Real talk - is it financially beneficial for waiters and restaurant staff to give up unemployment for 25% restaurant capacity?

Doubt it. Cinemark and AMC have already said they aren’t reopening until mid-summer. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Easily reversible.   Holy shit.

What is easily reversible about it, especially if God forbid the reason it has to be reversed is Dallas and Houston becoming Petri dishes of Covid-19 like NYC?

Easy, you close shit back down.

As far as your concern about DFW or Houston becoming something like NYC, I think that is highly unlikely. Whether that’s due to weather, or lower mass transit utilization, or just lower population density, I hope we find out soon. 

15 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Owning a partial, easily reversible if necessary, opening of the economy?

Yeah, that's a really big stand.

It's a stand that goes against the clearly expressed desire of a super-majority of Texas voters.  And it's an action that, even if "easily revers[ed]," won't be reversed until there are hundreds or thousands dead as a result.

And by the way, when that happens--and yeah, it's "when," not "if"--the economic fallout is going to be even worse than what would happen if we just remain in our current state for another month.

So yeah--it's a big stand.  And the Trumpublicans own it.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

It's useful to keep actual numbers for our area in mind when talking about re-opening.    Since testing is pathetically low, we can't know the actual number of people who have it, but the whole point of flattening the curve was to protect the health care system. Even with Poor testing, the Hospitalization and Death rate should be correct.

The Austin/Travis county numbers for Hospitalizations are only reported for the entire 5-county MSA, so here are the stats for the MSA. 

County

Confirmed

Deaths

Recovered

Active

Population

Travis

Williamson

Hayes

Bastrop

Caldwell

MAS Stats:

• Total Population: 2.23 Million
  • Total Confirmed Cases: 1927
  • Current Active Cases: 1,249
  • Total Deaths: 48
  • Current Hospitalizations: 66   (5.3% of current cases)

There are only 66 people currently hospitalized in the entire MSA. That's a pretty good 'flattened' curve.   

Also, of the Travis County deaths, there have been only 14 (fourteen) under the age of 70.

I'd say these number strongly support a staged re-opening.

Whoa whoa whoa Oxdeadbeef.

You can take those actual figures, roll them up real tight, and cram em up your ass, pal!

• Like 1

I saw Pinthouse Pizza is prepping to reopen. How is a place like that going to control capacity? Last thing you want is a giant crowd hanging around outside waiting to get in.

I wonder if it makes sense for every restaurant to go reservations only to manage occupancy.

Just now, CooterBrown said:

I saw Pinthouse Pizza is prepping to reopen. How is a place like that going to control capacity? Last thing you want is a giant crowd hanging around outside waiting to get in.

I wonder if it makes sense for every restaurant to go reservations only to manage occupancy.

Lines. Everywhere lines.

5 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Trump is 73, Biden is 77. They’re both old bro. Not sure that 4 year age difference will resonate a whole lot. But you do you. 

Get back to me after Biden drools on himself during the debates. That’s if you pussies don’t try to use the virus as an excuse not to hold them. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

Colorado started a phased reopening yesterday.  I really don't have a problem with it.  The hospital system is not overwhelmed, so it makes sense to ease some restrictions.  The only thing that I don't like is not having adequate testing in place which should have been doable by now with notice since January.  It is going to take ~3 weeks to see an uptick in either hospitalizations or deaths in a shitty delayed feedback loop to know if we've gone too far.  I'd much rather have the people getting back to business being tested regularly to see the effects of change prior to those people having to exhibit serious illness and potentially spreading asymptomatic infections previous to that.

My wife and I have decided we're going to let others be the guinea pigs for the next 3 weeks.  We'll sit tight and see what the numbers show then.  If there has not been a significant uptick in hospitalizations/deaths by then, we'll see about crawling out of our cave a bit more.

• Like 2

Just now, Goredho said:

My wife and I have decided we're going to let others be the guinea pigs for the next 3 weeks.  We'll sit tight and see what the numbers show then.  If there has not been a significant uptick in hospitalizations/deaths by then, we'll see about crawling out of our cave a bit more.

I think a lot of people will be taking this route. Also, why is that trumpkin up there so angry?