Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

Went to Spec's yesterday and HEB today.  A trend I'm noticing is with a couple, the wife is wearing a mask but the husband is not. 

I'm just not sure what to make of this. 

Lot of guys think they're too tough to get really sick with something. Of course they're missing the point of the masks. It's not to protect you, it's to protect others from  you even when you don't know you're sick.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

In complete seriousness I thought that pic was a joke picture of a pile of dog shit and a hot dog. I really hope the camera had a problem with the lighting so that the colors are all off. 

I would laugh if a waiter put that in front of me.  Then I would leave paying for everything up to that point, and tip the waiter for the entire meal. I can't believe a chef would be out of work for 6 weeks and that is the one of the first dishes out of the kitchen.  "I have a great idea for tonight's special side dish, a single, glazed carrot cut to resemble a hot dog."

Apparently that’s not a special and it’s not a mistake. That’s the standard plate there:

”All entrees are served with a glazed carrot and choice of baked potato, smashed potatoes or skillet fried potatoes which are topped with sautéed onions and peppercorn gravy.”

https://bobs-steakandchop.com/our-menu/

Bob's is meh, tbh.  I had a gift card from a contractor for Christmas, so we went, and we were very underwhelmed.  3 Forks or Austin Land & Cattle for me.  Not for a while though, we've just been buying steak at the grocery store and making it at home, and it's as good or better.

My family is going to eat out a lot less, permanently, after this.  We've saved a lot of money, and eaten better.

• Like 4

Bob's is meh, tbh.  I had a gift card from a contractor for Christmas, so we went, and we were very underwhelmed.  3 Forks or Austin Land & Cattle for me.  Not for a while though, we've just been buying steak at the grocery store and making it at home, and it's as good or better.

My family is going to eat out a lot less, permanently, after this.  We've saved a lot of money, and eaten better.
This in a nutshell. We haven't missed dining out at all. We've done some take out while taking advantage of liquor to go sales to help support a few of our local restaurants. I've always felt, given the time, I can prepare and cook a meal better than 90% of the places we would go out to eat to.

2 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

I agree. I’ll go to ALC again, but I’m not ever going back to Bob’s. Not that’s it’s bad, its not, its just not really worth the price. Same with Ruth Chris. It is better than Bob’s, but also more expensive and therefore not worth it.

Nope for me it’s now the food eating out has to be both good and somewhat reasonably priced. Otherwise I make my own steak. 

Edited by JimmyJames

2 hours ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:

Read more  

This in a nutshell. We haven't missed dining out at all. We've done some take out while taking advantage of liquor to go sales to help support a few of our local restaurants. I've always felt, given the time, I can prepare and cook a meal better than 90% of the places we would go out to eat to.

We’ve ordered pick up once during the entire ordeal. We cook everything, we get produce boxes, we have Green Chef meals delivered to cook. I don’t miss restaurants all that much and am in no rush to get back to them. 

• Like 2

A lot of people are realizing this. It's amazing how many people don't understand that cooking is easy and fun and usually better than the overpriced shit you buy at restaurants.

Edited by Brian Fantana
  • Like 1

60 Minutes doing a story on rural Texas hospitals that are dying off during the pandemic and how things are not going well in those areas because people don't have insurance due to being poor.  Low Medicare reimbursement rates. Having to reuse PPE. 

Edited by mdmost

We’ve been on a bit of a curbside streak the last week. Had a hankering for gyros so did a big curbside order from Artemis today. At this point it’s really about throwing some money at the businesses that you want to keep. Did league on Friday and a bbq spot in Blanco on Saturday. 

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

60 Minutes doing a story on rural Texas hospitals that are dying off during the pandemic and how things are not going well in those areas because people don't have insurance due to being poor.  

Rural hospitals in Texas at least have been getting worse for at least 15 years now, probably longer. I suppose you could debate the why but its a fact that it has happened. 

17 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

We’ve ordered pick up once during the entire ordeal. We cook everything, we get produce boxes, we have Green Chef meals delivered to cook. I don’t miss restaurants all that much and am in no rush to get back to them. 

Imperfect foods + curbside H-E-B + Whole Foods delivery scratches all the itches. 

23 minutes ago, mdmost said:

60 Minutes doing a story on rural Texas hospitals that are dying off during the pandemic and how things are not going well in those areas because people don't have insurance due to being poor.  Low Medicare reimbursement rates. Having to reuse PPE. 

Thoughts and prayers should help them 

14 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Neither have I. But when the check comes I’ve always thought that wasn’t really worth it.

I usually have 4 to 5 drinks and eat a salad. If I’m on a date or family, they’ll cut me a little piece of steak. They always bring me a carrot and potato set up, no charge 

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

I usually have 4 to 5 drinks and eat a salad. If I’m on a date or with family, they’ll cut me a little piece of steak. They always bring me a carrot and potato set up, no charge 

• Like 1

Honestly, is going out to a mostly empty restaurant with waiters in masks (and you should be too) really so vastly superior to a romantic dinner at home that you're willing to pay more money and accept the elevated risk to yourself and others?

This isn't even a shot at GRHorn or anyone in particular. I just don't see how venturing out to a restaurant or the mall or whatever is even appealing given the circumstances.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Need to show Kome some love if you can. 

great food and good people. 

Use to hit it up all the time when we lived in that  hood. A bit of a hike at this point but there is a Japanese place down 620 that we like. 

One thing I’ve found interesting is that I think I have gotten to know the people at Taco deli, Twin liquors, Lupe Tortilla, etc. that serve the food and drink even better than before. I’ve always tipped well but have upped it even more now. Not that I didn’t know them before, but it seems like now we are all in this together so to speak and its like we somewhat know each other even better. We can easily recognize each other even wearing bandana masks and sunglasses. 

Not so much the people I used to run into at the gym, or Barton Springs or bartenders at bars of course. But I’m really looking forward to the day I get to see all of them again.

• Like 1

"We haven’t heard of many positive COVID-19 cases coming out of rural Texas counties until now. 18 people have tested positive for the coronavirus in Mason county, with more results pending.

Mason County Judge, Jerry Bearden confirmed Thursday that the spike in cases is due, in part, to a recent in-person city council meeting.

“We were just riding along in the local wagon, and all of a sudden the wheels fall off,” said Mason County Judge, Jerry Bearden. “We now have an open-wide pandemic here in the county.”

Mason county is 115 miles just Northwest of Austin with a population of 4,200 people."

https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/mason-county-in-person-city-county-meeting-results-in-covid-19-case-spike/

4 hours ago, mdmost said:

Those rural Texans overwhelmingly voted for Trump, overwhelmingly voted for Abbott, and the other republicans who have royally screwed this up. We should ban them from our city hospitals and let them suffer the consequences of their stupidity. If you don't have a metro area zip code on your license you don't get treated in that area during the pandemic. Go get your god and Trump to save you. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I’ve never had a bad meal at bob’s sa 

Bob's evidently franchised or otherwise sold out, with very uneven results, even in DFW.

Bob bought back the original on Lemmon and it's always been pretty, pretty good. There's some information out there that Lemmon never operated under the franchise owner.

I recognized the carrot, but not the potatos as I guess I've always gotten baked or mashed and so has everyone else I ate with.

3 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Honestly, is going out to a mostly empty restaurant with waiters in masks (and you should be too) really so vastly superior to a romantic dinner at home that you're willing to pay more money and accept the elevated risk to yourself and others?

This isn't even a shot at GRHorn or anyone in particular. I just don't see how venturing out to a restaurant or the mall or whatever is even appealing given the circumstances.

I think the point is spreading some of the $$$ around to restaurants you wouldn't mind visiting in a regular fashion when this shit's over.

ECfW.gif

Galveston was a shitshow today. All the poors with their trump bucks came down from Harris and East Texas and Slummed up the seawall. 

Cops tried calling in for reinforcements, but someone at the state or county level rejected it.  my neighbor is a congressmen, so he is going to be heading from me later this week. 

It was so bad that The family and I were forced to hold up at the home all weekend with the front gate closed. Spent the days sitting on the porch and walking the gardens. One of the Plebs sightseeing the street actually had the nerve to yell out to us while I was enjoying some OG Havana Club inquiring if the house was a plantation.
No dipshit. Do you see sugarcane?  Go back to Vidor. 

Rural hospitals in Texas at least have been getting worse for at least 15 years now, probably longer. I suppose you could debate the why but its a fact that it has happened. 

Same reason it’s happened here in Alabama and in the following states in yellow - refusal to expand to expand Medicaid in the wake of Obamacare as a purely political “fuck you” to Obama.

That has hurt small rural hospitals disproportionately and resulted in many of them closing up shop because they relied heavily on payments from Medicaid.

2132904a0adca2da8666fcf812d32eed.jpg
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Same reason it’s happened here in Alabama and in the following states in yellow - refusal to expand to expand Medicaid in the wake of Obamacare as a purely political “fuck you” to Obama.

That has hurt small rural hospitals disproportionately and resulted in many of them closing up shop because they relied heavily on payments from Medicaid.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Xian said:

Galveston was a shitshow today. All the poors with their trump bucks came down from Harris and East Texas and Slummed up the seawall. 

Cops tried calling in for reinforcements, but someone at the state or county level rejected it.  my neighbor is a congressmen, so he is going to be heading from me later this week. 

It was so bad that The family and I were forced to hold up at the home all weekend with the front gate closed. Spent the days sitting on the porch and walking the gardens. One of the Plebs sightseeing the street actually had the nerve to yell out to us while I was enjoying some OG Havana Club inquiring if the house was a plantation.
No dipshit. Do you see sugarcane?  Go back to Vidor. 

Today as in Sunday? How was yesterday? I’m in Port A and while the beach was a shitshow Saturday as far as crowds it was ok today. Crowded but not bad. Streets in town were pretty much fine all weekend as long as you didn’t try to go to the grocery store or convenience store. Or if you are scared of Hispanics from San Antonio. People were extremely friendly and trying to (mostly at least) social distance. Sounds like Galveston sucks.

32 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

They were closing before but yes it’s about Obama. From a quick google. There’s more -

“More Americans are now aware of the financial challenges faced by rural hospitals. Media coverage of the 76 rural hospital closures between January 2010 and July 2016 has highlighted the health care access and economic challenges facing rural America. Rural hospital closures are not a new phenomenon – hundreds of rural hospitals closed in the 1980s and 1990s. Recognizing that many rural hospitals are the only health care facility in their community and that their survival is vital to ensure access to health care, it is important to understand where some hospitals are succeeding compared to those that are not, as policymakers try to craft sustainable models of health care for rural areas.

To illustrate the comparison between rural and urban profit margins from 2012-2014 and the geographic variation of profits across states, the North Carolina Rural Health Research Program created the infographic, Profitability of Rural and Urban-Hospitals.  For a more complete discussion of these issues, please read our issue briefs,  2012-14 Profitability of Urban and Rural Hospitals by Medicare Payment Classification and  Geographic Variation in Risk of Financial Distress among Rural Hospitals.”

https://www.shepscenter.unc.edu/product/profitability-rural-urban-hospitals-infographic/

5 hours ago, justhookit said:

Today as in Sunday? How was yesterday? I’m in Port A and while the beach was a shitshow Saturday as far as crowds it was ok today. Crowded but not bad. Streets in town were pretty much fine all weekend as long as you didn’t try to go to the grocery store or convenience store. Or if you are scared of Hispanics from San Antonio. People were extremely friendly and trying to (mostly at least) social distance. Sounds like Galveston sucks.

Sat was bad, but not horrible. It was packed, but not total chaos.  Other then a 10 year old drowning in bolivar not much happened.  Sunday was a disaster.  Never seen anything like it was before. The seawall was a standstill with fights. Bars had to be forcibly closed by GPD

I read on the daily news  that a thousand people had to be rescued due the currents. 

• Like 1

Guest Lobo
12 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Right now I’m supporting Taco Deli and Twin Liquors. Not necessarily in that order. 

Odds are we've walked past each other in the last couple of months.  Other than HEB curbside, my only two other stops are Tacodeli and Twin on a weekly basis.  

I was the guy in the blue mask who dresses/grooms like he's completely given up.

I want to support more local places with the gradual reopening (Salt Trader's, Sway, Blue Dhalia, et. al.) but it really is not worth the risk at this point.  I did get lunch at Texas Honey Ham about a month ago and promptly got food poisoning from it.  I suspect it was because they were sitting on so much product when the hammer came down and I just got some shitty, old lunch meat on my club sandwich because their customer volume went from 1000 sandwiches a day to 50.  /csb

I saw yesterday that Biderman's is finally opening back up.  That might be my next stop for to-go.  I know one person being stupid can ruin it for everybody else but they cleaned that place so compulsively before, I'm sure their techniques during this phased opening will be much appreciated.  

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Hopped on my motorcycle early yesterday for a ride throughout N. Texas.  Came across a lot of country churches  w/ packed parking lots.  It was a beautiful day but not one service seemed to be outside.  All packed inside.  Bold strategy. 

My church plans to resume Sunday AM services next week, but with a lot of precautions in place: capacity limit, social distancing, temperature check at the door, individual communion sets, etc. It doesn’t seem unreasonable to me.

13 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I’ve never had a bad meal at bob’s sa 

Same. Lol now we’re hating on Bob’s here. Always good. Service always good. The lighting was not great, but it was nice steak. And yes, I posted the pic mainly as a giveaway with the carrot of where I was. 

It was a bit of a weird vibe with the well dressed waiters and black masks. A little Handmaid’s Tale-ish. 

8 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Bob's evidently franchised or otherwise sold out, with very uneven results, even in DFW.

Bob bought back the original on Lemmon and it's always been pretty, pretty good. There's some information out there that Lemmon never operated under the franchise owner.

I recognized the carrot, but not the potatos as I guess I've always gotten baked or mashed and so has everyone else I ate with.

Yes, used to frequent the Lemmon location when we lived in Dallas. If it’s good enough for Jerrah probably good enough for Surly. In our experience the SA location has been a reasonable facsimile. 

12 hours ago, gmr548 said:

we have 4 young kids. There’s little romantic about me cooking steaks and eating at home with wife. Constant interruptions like look at this picture I drew, can I show you my dance, she keeps coming in my room Etc etc etc

12 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Your taste in food is far more offensive than your Dr. Nick medical advice.

Yawn 

2 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Hopped on my motorcycle early yesterday for a ride throughout N. Texas.  Came across a lot of country churches  w/ packed parking lots.  It was a beautiful day but not one service seemed to be outside.  All packed inside.  Bold strategy. 

My inlaws country church is back open, but they are still watching from home on FB live. Their's is so small the entire congregation could show up and still be able to social distance. 

I think the point is spreading some of the $$$ around to restaurants you wouldn't mind visiting in a regular fashion when this shit's over.
ECfW.gif

Sure. Most places have takeout systems down by now if that's your goal. I just don't see a compelling reason to dine in, but to each their own I guess.

Also, if that's the point, fuck going to a national steakhouse chain.

Guest Lobo
3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Sure. Most places have takeout systems down by now if that's your goal. I just don't see a compelling reason to dine in, but to each their own I guess.

Also, if that's the point, fuck going to a national steakhouse chain.

I'd like to start responsibly peppering in getting takeout as usual, but getting a couple drinks at the bar while I wait provided I stay a few stools away from other patrons.  Would the protocol be to keep your mask on between sips?  But yeah, eating a full  meal at the bar doesn't sound at all appealing to me right now.  

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Odds are we've walked past each other in the last couple of months.  Other than HEB curbside, my only two other stops are Tacodeli and Twin on a weekly basis.  

I was the guy in the blue mask who dresses/grooms like he's completely given up.

I want to support more local places with the gradual reopening (Salt Trader's, Sway, Blue Dhalia, et. al.) but it really is not worth the risk at this point.  I did get lunch at Texas Honey Ham about a month ago and promptly got food poisoning from it.  I suspect it was because they were sitting on so much product when the hammer came down and I just got some shitty, old lunch meat on my club sandwich because their customer volume went from 1000 sandwiches a day to 50.  /csb

I saw yesterday that Biderman's is finally opening back up.  That might be my next stop for to-go.  I know one person being stupid can ruin it for everybody else but they cleaned that place so compulsively before, I'm sure their techniques during this phased opening will be much appreciated.  

14 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

One thing I’ve found interesting is that I think I have gotten to know the people at Taco deli, Twin liquors, Lupe Tortilla, etc. that serve the food and drink even better than before. I’ve always tipped well but have upped it even more now. Not that I didn’t know them before, but it seems like now we are all in this together so to speak and its like we somewhat know each other even better. We can easily recognize each other even wearing bandana masks and sunglasses. 

Not so much the people I used to run into at the gym, or Barton Springs or bartenders at bars of course. But I’m really looking forward to the day I get to see all of them again.

It sure looks like Jimmy and Lobo and I all live in the same 'hood.

But I thought that Twin Liquors was closed.  At least, it looks dark every time I have driven by.