Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

Guest Lobo

The two on 2244 are both open, I think.  Actually I haven't been inside the bigger one by HEB in quite awhile, so dunno for sure.  I usually hit up the little one by Walgreen's.  

I know they're all doing truncated hours so maybe you drive by too early/too late?  

Their selection is really small and I know all stores kick up to the same owners, but I like to support the little one because everything in that strip center is dying, and the goofy window display and squirrel pie dispenser outside make me chuckle.  The property manager said they had somebody lined up to take over the Popeye's space but they fell through due to Covid-19.  ,

And pacman---no need to go to Twin Liquor for my boxed wine girl's night supply.  7-11 has a fine selection.

Actually, another plug for a struggling business in the area-----that Thom's Market on Spyglass by tacodeli has a really good wine selection for a convenience store.  And good prices, too. Only about $1/bottle more than the same thing at Twin's.  Give them a shot if you get a chance.  

Edited by Lobo

Dallas had its 2 highest days of reported cases on April 30 and May 1. And now shit is reopening. We picked up food at a restaurant yesterday and people were eating there. No masks, no social distancing in the parking lot or out front. Just a normal Friday night. 

Think there might be some unintended consequences here. We’ve been spending tons of money getting food from our favorite local spots throughout this whole thing. Did curbside on Friday. The patio was full of people not wearing masks. Now I’m so much less comfortable ordering from any place that has opened their dining rooms I don’t think I will be doing so for a while. Hopefully they’re making more money being open, but they might just be trading one type of income for another
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, SquishMitten said:

Think there might be some unintended consequences here. We’ve been spending tons of money getting food from our favorite local spots throughout this whole thing. Did curbside on Friday. The patio was full of people not wearing masks. Now I’m so much less comfortable ordering from any place that has opened their dining rooms I don’t think I will be doing so for a while. Hopefully they’re making more money being open, but they might just be trading one type of income for another

yeah, that's sort of my thinking as well.

3 hours ago, GRHorn said:

we have 4 young kids. There’s little romantic about me cooking steaks and eating at home with wife. Constant interruptions like look at this picture I drew, can I show you my dance, she keeps coming in my room Etc etc etc

You're supposed to give the wine to the 4 young kids, not drink it yourself. Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker, you know....

j/k

2 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

I agree with this. 

An oldie but a goodie. 

Nice steakhouse dinner tonight. A lot of boomers there.
It was a little odd with waiters wearing ties and black masks.  A little handmaids tale/eyes wide shut vibe. Probably gonna take it easy now but was a date night the wife and I needed. If you know, you know. 

F122-F776-9392-484-B-B387-512617768-C4-D.jpg

What is that? Steak from State Farm? It looks hideous
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

It sure looks like Jimmy and Lobo and I all live in the same 'hood.

But I thought that Twin Liquors was closed.  At least, it looks dark every time I have driven by.

So lupe surly elites happy hour when they reopen their bar?

29 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Excellent point. 

And Dallas numbers are still going up. 

35 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Yup we broke our rule of getting takeout 3 times last week mainly because we knew with shit opening up we were going to be back to not being able to get takeout at all again for the foreseeable future. On the bright side I finally found some fucking yeast right as my sourdough starter is finally doing good things. 

Edited by NameAlreadyInUse

The larger cities and towns with known covid problems should remain locked down. The smaller communities should open themselves up but a "locals only" guideline should be encouraged. I'm not naive to think that some people won't reject these guidelines but stating them would keep some people away.

We didn't eat out all the much prior to this really. Other than locally owned establishments primarily, it just isn't how we spend our time/money. Since the sheltering began, we've picked up one time. The local places we usually do business with shut up in mid-March and made the decision to stay completely closed for two months so we will be watching to see if in a couple of weeks they decide to reopen.

Guest Lobo
19 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I don't think I'd describe any of us as elite.  We do need to start a thread on Food & Travel for outdoor bars opening back up again.  Problem with the bar at Lupe Tortilla is it's always crowded and smack dab in the middle of the restaurant/traffic areas, not off to the side like most restaurants.  It's too expensive for me to regularly go, but the upstairs bar at Sway is a place I'd go once things open up because it's not usually that crowded and it's open air.  Plus you can get takeout (or be able to some day).  But a thread for Austin restaurants doing takeout where you can sit at the outdoor bar, socially distanced, and have a couple drinks while they prepare your food.  There's not as many as you'd think.  

PSA: nobody is going to the movie theatres, so I figured everyone should know Lone Star is free to stream on vudu.com right now. Watched it again last night on the computer, there are 1 minute ads about every 20-25 minutes though. 

https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/details/Lone-Star/9261

Edited by StassneyHorn

I live in Austin. I visited Houston area this past weekend. 

The City of Austin, the stores/companies and the people in Austin seem to do a much better job about restrictions of having mask in public and social distancing. Austinites seem more compliant and vigilant about the dangers of CV19 and doing what they can to control the spread.

Houston, holy shit. It's like CV19 is the last thing on peoples' minds. No regard for social distancing other than maybe standing in line to pay and probably only because there are stickers on the floor on where to stand. Social distancing, yea it's merely a suggestion. Most people didn't give a fuck about trying to maintain any social distancing. Regarding masks, it seemed like only 25% of the people I saw in Lowes and Home Depot had on masks. From my limited interaction I would've fully expected Houston area to be a CV19 hotspot. Oddly enough, it doesn't appear to be. And maybe that's the takeaway from all of this. Or maybe in a month, it's death central.

Not saying one is better than the other. It was just eye opening to see the differences in attitudes and how people and businesses go about their day.

10 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

The City of Austin, the stores/companies and the people in Austin seem to do a much better job about restrictions of having mask in public and social distancing. Austinites seem more compliant and vigilant about the dangers of CV19 and doing what they can to control the spread.

Houston, holy shit. It's like CV19 is the last thing on peoples' minds. No regard for social distancing other than maybe standing in line to pay and probably only because there are stickers on the floor on where to stand. Social distancing, yea it's merely a suggestion. Most people didn't give a fuck about trying to maintain any social distancing. Regarding masks, it seemed like only 25% of the people I saw in Lowes and Home Depot had on masks. From my limited interaction I would've fully expected Houston area to be a CV19 hotspot. Oddly enough, it doesn't appear to be. And maybe that's the takeaway from all of this. Or maybe in a month, it's death central.

Not saying one is better than the other. It was just eye opening to see the differences in attitudes and how people and businesses go about their day.

Generally agree re: Houston. I live inside the loop, and while most people are quarantining and broadly following guidelines, there's just doesn't seem to be a lot of concern out in public (at least from what I've seen). 

Probably been to the grocery/liquor store once a week, and the patrons generally have been pretty chill. Haven't seen a single instance of a person getting mad or commenting on improper social distancing. I guess we'll find out soon enough if the relaxed nature is good or bad news. 

The Houston weather so far has been great, so people are getting lots of outside time. Which is nice. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley

Guest Lobo
1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

I've been to a half dozen other cities in Texas since mid-March for business and to track down supplies we needed for the baby.  And holy shit, I thought Austin was bad---it's fucking insane in the rest of this state.  Every strip center parking lot is filled, it goes from probably 80% in masks to 80% without masks once I leave Austin.  People were/are doing pretty well with distancing, but they're going out just to go out and they don't fucking get it after two months of doctors telling them---the fucking mask isn't to protect you.  it's to keep your fucked up germs out of my body.  

On the other hand, I drove past a movie theater by my house in Austin on Saturday, and it had probably 50 cars outside of it.  Their logic probably being that they can book tickets far apart from the next moviegoer.  Not remembering of course that the previous showtime of the movie you're currently enjoying had someone sitting in the same seat you're in right now and they coughed throughout the whole film.  One of the longest running jokes in American history is how filthy the floors and armrests of movie theaters are, Seinfeld does a whole bit about it.  and we picked them to be one of the first places we open up during a viral pandemic because of their long and storied past of cleanliness and hygiene?  

17 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I live in a Trump area of Houston, and I'm actually surprised at the amount of people I've seen with masks on.  It's probably 60%, which isn't nearly enough but way more than I thought. 

38 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I don't think I'd describe any of us as elite.  We do need to start a thread on Food & Travel for outdoor bars opening back up again.  Problem with the bar at Lupe Tortilla is it's always crowded and smack dab in the middle of the restaurant/traffic areas, not off to the side like most restaurants.  It's too expensive for me to regularly go, but the upstairs bar at Sway is a place I'd go once things open up because it's not usually that crowded and it's open air.  Plus you can get takeout (or be able to some day).  But a thread for Austin restaurants doing takeout where you can sit at the outdoor bar, socially distanced, and have a couple drinks while they prepare your food.  There's not as many as you'd think.  

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

I like the idea of Sway.  But not in May.  I'm hunkered down here in my bunker while all the dipshits go out and contract the plague.

The larger cities and towns with known covid problems should remain locked down. The smaller communities should open themselves up but a "locals only" guideline should be encouraged. I'm not naive to think that some people won't reject these guidelines but stating them would keep some people away.
Santa Cruz is doing this by requiring local parking permits at all areas near the beaches to allow locals to surf without hoards of out of towners.

There goes my planned summer road trip.

PSA: nobody is going to the movie theatres, so I figured everyone should know Lone Star is free to stream on vudu.com right now. Watched it again last night on the computer, there are 1 minute ads about every 20-25 minutes though. 
https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/details/Lone-Star/9261
Thanks I've been meaning to rewatch for years and never found it.

I drove by the Tinseltown movie theater in pflugerville yesterday and there were thousands of people hanging out in the parking lot. Tons of Mexican flags. Not sure if it was a cinco de mayo celebration or something but it made me never want to leave my house again.

looks like mayor adler is actually going to fucking do something:

AUSTIN, Texas — Austin Mayor Steve Adler said the messaging from State has been "confusing," after Gov. Greg Abbott partially reopened the state on Friday, May 1. The mayor is now trying to clarify some of the confusion, adding that the City will extend the stay-at-home order in Austin-Travis County. 

The stay-at-home order is set to expire on May 8, but the mayor told KVUE that city leaders have plans to extend the order.

"It's kind of confusing right now with the messaging from the State, and we're going to try and clarify that this week by extending our order," Adler said.

Adler did not say how long the order will be extended or give a date on when city leaders will announce the order extension.

"We are not past this," Adler said on KVUE Daybreak Monday, May 4. "It's not like we have cured the virus, because we have not. It is as infectious and as deadly as it was a month ago."

Adler also encouraged people to stay at home as much as possible, with the exception of essential workers "to minimize the contact as best we possibly can, or we are going to start seeing a spike, and that's the concern."

"We did a really good job of flattening the curve," Adler said, referring to how Austin hasn't hit its hospital capacity, intensive-care-unit capacity, or ventilator capacity. "The concern is that can change on the dime. ... I am concerned with the number of social interactions that are happening right now. The work we did over the last four weeks will not have any impact over the next two to four weeks if we're having more and more physical interaction."

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/austin-travis-county-coronavirus-stay-home-covid-19-mayor-adler/269-0179b293-cd95-4747-84fe-20cfa257520a

• Like 1

If I had to guess, you misspelled cypress.
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

I haven't stayed tuned in to all of the goings on at City Hall related to COVID, but Adler seems to not be totally shitting the bed.  Cancelling SXSW was a huge decision, and probably saved us from turning into a NOLA. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

I only went out twice this weekend in Houston: Home Depot and Whole Foods. I would say the numbers were reversed from you had, about 75% had masks. I'm sure its different in different areas of the city.

Just now, 4th&Five said:

i went to heb saturday here in austin and didn't see a single person without a mask.  even my trumper parents, who don't think they can get covid because they never get the flu, wear them.

In Austin, if you're not wearing a mask in stores, you will get dirty looks. Like I said, it was eye opening to see the differences in attitudes. In the next couple of weeks, if Houston comes out unscathed, then maybe fuck it all to hell, rip off the bandaid and open up everything.

17 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

In Austin, if you're not wearing a mask in stores, you will get dirty looks. Like I said, it was eye opening to see the differences in attitudes. In the next couple of weeks, if Houston comes out unscathed, then maybe fuck it all to hell, rip off the bandaid and open up everything.

i'm fairly certain heb won't let you in without a mask. hence the security guards and the employees at the door handing out wipes.

i think i've noted this in this thread or maybe the other, but damn, it really seems hispanics aren't doing the whole mask thing an a much higher %. evidence is anecdotal, but is related to seeing workers both inside and outside.

21 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i'm fairly certain heb won't let you in without a mask. hence the security guards and the employees at the door handing out wipes.

i think i've noted this in this thread or maybe the other, but damn, it really seems hispanics aren't doing the whole mask thing an a much higher %. evidence is anecdotal, but is related to seeing workers both inside and outside.

HEB in houston was definitely letting people in without masks on friday.  i was glaring at the 20 year olds having maskless social hours in a pack.  also the woman who parked her cart right  underneath the hand sanitizer dispenser while she carefully inspected several identical bottles of shitty prosecco. 

lots of people badly wearing their masks as well.  yes, dumbass, it needs to be over your nose. 

Edited by elfenix

If you are out and about in Midland, you would barely know that anything has changed since last year other than the increased number of realtor signs on every other house. Less than 10% of the customers at HEB wearing masks, almost zero attention to social distancing except where it is enforced in the checkout lines. Huge groups of families hanging out by the duck pond last night, getting food from a food truck, nary a mask to be found. We've had very few cases so far, most of which are associated with a bad outbreak at one nursing home, and people basically believe it can't happen here. Hope they're right.

6 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Shit, there were HEB employees without masks in San Marcos. Girl at the checkout line had one on, but under her chin. Lots of people not wearing them at all. 

i will say, it appears that managers are given a lot of local control, given the vast different in how the triangle of hebs around me handle entry and exit. my normal hood heb at slaughter and manchaca 100% masks, they hand you a wipe for your cart, and off you go. might need to wait in line. brodie/wm cannon heb has people spray sanitizing carts as they come in, as does the bougie circle c heb, except there it's a full on metal cannister sprayer instead of just spray from a bottle.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MidTexHorn said:

If you are out and about in Midland, you would barely know that anything has changed since last year other than the increased number of realtor signs on every other house. Less than 10% of the customers at HEB wearing masks, almost zero attention to social distancing except where it is enforced in the checkout lines. Huge groups of families hanging out by the duck pond last night, getting food from a food truck, nary a mask to be found. We've had very few cases so far, most of which are associated with a bad outbreak at one nursing home, and people basically believe it can't happen here. Hope they're right.

They're not

3 minutes ago, MidTexHorn said:

Probably not.  Interstate Highway out front should’ve told ya.

I went to both HEB and WF 365 yesterday. HEB 90% had masks and 365 required one and supplied one if you didn't have one. On Saturday the house down the street with an LSU flag had a 50 person crawfish party going in the driveway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

I haven't stayed tuned in to all of the goings on at City Hall related to COVID, but Adler seems to not be totally shitting the bed.  Cancelling SXSW was a huge decision, and probably saved us from turning into a NOLA. 

i generally agree with this, and i'm happy with the pushback, though it took him a fucking week to come out with this. should have been a no-brainer. "ignore the governor, it's safer to continue SIP right now"

22 minutes ago, DCA_HORN said:

I went to both HEB and WF 365 yesterday. HEB 90% had masks and 365 required one and supplied one if you didn't have one. On Saturday the house down the street with an LSU flag had a 50 person crawfish party going in the driveway.

That is so fucking on-brand.

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

I live in a Trump area of Houston, and I'm actually surprised at the amount of people I've seen with masks on.  It's probably 60%, which isn't nearly enough but way more than I thought. 

This has been my experience. Probably more really, except for Lowe’s.  Lowe’s at maybe 20%; so unless something is broken right now, not going for a bit.  But the grocery stores, SAMs etc.  I think my wife reported only 2 people at sams that didn’t have masks last week. 

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Did they cancel the Austin Rodeo too?

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

They like Corona.

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

Hell, I think I posted about it on TOS, but even being a member of the culture, one thing I do NOT get is the utter disdain for basic safety measures.  See, e.g., the low rate of usage of child safety seats.  My hypothesis is that many safety measures cost money (car seats ain't free), and many of the immigrants here are from the poorer classes, so much so that they are very used to thinking that nobody gives a shit about them and their lives don't matter.  So, they don't do these things both because of poverty and ingrained belief that their lives aren't worth much, and you end up with devil-may-care behavior.  Again, just my hypothesis.  Blows my mind, but then, all of my family was relatively middle class to upper middle class, so that wasn't our way of thinking - I just don't have that perspective.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Hell, I think I posted about it on TOS, but even being a member of the culture, one thing I do NOT get is the utter disdain for basic safety measures.  See, e.g., the low rate of usage of child safety seats.  My hypothesis is that many safety measures cost money (car seats ain't free), and many of the immigrants here are from the poorer classes, so much so that they are very used to thinking that nobody gives a shit about them and their lives don't matter.  So, they don't do these things both because of poverty and ingrained belief that their lives aren't worth much, and you end up with devil-may-care behavior.  Again, just my hypothesis.  Blows my mind, but then, all of my family was relatively middle class to upper middle class, so that wasn't our way of thinking - I just don't have that perspective.

_76088059_trainmathurreuters.jpg

there's something to what you are saying.

• Like 1

From talking with some conservative friends, some of them are quickly running out of patience with the restrictions even those still allowed by Abbott.  The loosening of the restrictions seems to do nothing but add to the impatience.

my guess is that even if cases/deaths spike, Abbott won’t allow tightening down again. He doesn’t seem to be stopping masks requirements but I don’t see him locking down the state under any situation now. He would anger too many mainstream republicans. 

Just did our weekly shopping at Heb in Lakeway. Maybe four people total without mask. And those people looked like they needed them most- old, fat grizzled or burned out lake trash.

A few people with the whole family in mask even if worn incorrectly.