Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

3 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Cruise ships, nursing homes, churches, traditional office buildings, and restaurants (in that order) are the places this virus will spread rapidly.  Schools and daycares are also potentially in the mix but looks like they would require the parents to go to other places on the list since it doesn’t appear to affect children nearly as much.  Speaking of, why haven’t their been studies to show if these kids are asymptomatic spreaders or just somehow naturally not getting it?

Also a good time to switch to hobbies less likely to lead to prison.

20 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

With Trump saying that the economy won't shut down again for any future covid wave, that opinion will be followed by Abbott, who will not allow counties or cities to override. sure cities and counties can ask for voluntary shutdowns and personal behavior changes but they would seem to have little options if Abbott opposes them.

the reins are off and people/places will be able to do whatever they want for the rest of this crisis. Even if the curve unflattens, I don't believe it will matter. Trump has an election to win and deaths < economy.

We are a backward country.

• Like 1

Some actual good news. I mentioned Mrs. Canecutter was shocked at the slackitude she witnessed going back to work. Well, the next day, everybody there was masked up tighter than a veteran infantry unit before a gas attack on the Western Front, 1918.

Did she rat them out? No. Two things happened-- an older grandfatherly science type had gently explained how viruses travel, and what you can do about it, and also, an HR dude that everybody is scared of sent out an email reminding them of Birmingham's mask ordinance with the implication that they'd lose some $ if they didn't quit fucking around.

It's like trying to keep a sock on a toddler.

Saban has probably saved lives with his PSA to put your mask on or else you don't get Foobaw. That, plus Pat Dye getting the Rona might help make it easier for the weak-willed to buck their peer group's bravado.

I don't have any faith in it holding up. People are just too damn slack. Saban, Mrs. Canecutter, and myself are the three people in this state psychotically obsessed enough to execute any plan for several months.

(Oh, and whenever Saban says "execute," at my house, you have to drink. Even if you just imagined him saying it. Drink up.)

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Pos rep for the Leonard Cohen reference.  Dance Me to the End of Love is one that husband and I will sing in the kitchen while we're cooking.

51 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

The Human Spirit Soars

I always think of things like this when I hear flowery bull shit about the human spirit. 

What? Don't you care enough to send the very best? Hallmark would be so disappointed in you. They love writing "flowery bullshit about the human spirit."

Happy Pandemic Day!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

With Trump saying that the economy won't shut down again for any future covid wave, that opinion will be followed by Abbott, who will not allow counties or cities to override. sure cities and counties can ask for voluntary shutdowns and personal behavior changes but they would seem to have little options if Abbott opposes them.

the reins are off and people/places will be able to do whatever they want for the rest of this crisis. Even if the curve unflattens, I don't believe it will matter. Trump has an election to win and deaths < economy.

47 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

We are a backward country.

I agree that we need to learn how to live with COVID 19 because we can't shut everything down until the vaccine.  But Abbott is much worse than Trump in terms of his response. He only acted once counties/cities, the public and the business acted. Then he declared a success even though we didn't reach his initial goals. And he won't let the counties act independently based on their needs. what a POS.

• Like 2

Most of the bus drivers in our district are retired folks looking to pick up some extra income; might have some shortages in the fall. The local charter/private schools don't provide bus service which leads to 1. certain demographics not attending and 2. yuuuuge traffic jams near the campuses.

3 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

On the athletic front, don’t know if it’s been posted, but TAAF cancelled all summer sports (track, swimming etc). Bummed but not surprised. 

That really is too bad. Many many children participate in those activities. The swimmers probably have it the roughest. Prior to narrowing down to just track, my children were on the summer swim teams and loved it. One continued to participate just in the summer all the way to high school just for the social atmosphere at the meets (it was pretty low key in our area; the serious swimmers belonged to a private club). The track meets have always been beastly hot, but rather like a circus with something always going on. The only sport I disliked in the summer were the late summer soccer tournaments. Sitting in an oven for a 1:00 or 3:00 game in August before school started was insane.

3 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Speaking of schools, Mrs Rojo has a friend in administration at Leander ISD. The rumor is they are planning for distance learning in the fall, and also strongly considering canceling all Fall sports. Mrs Rojo also teaches a couple fitness classes for faculty & staff at ACC, and they are being told to prepare for distance learning in the fall as well. 

My wife is a HS English teacher here and also the color guard director.  RE: school, just this morning on her zoom meeting they were planning on "blended learning" next fall, I guess kids in class but also online classes for kids (Or their parents) that didn't safe coming back to the class room.  School is also preparing for money hit, saying they probably won't fill any holes if teachers leave/retire, will just spread the work among those still there (funny, I bet admin won't be reduced...).

RE: band/sports/ UIL, they have no clue, she is working under under the assumption they will have marching band in the fall and is working on their upcoming show, but she knows it may all be for naught.  I think it will probably be August before someone makes a fist and has a concrete decision one way or the other...

Guest Lobo

If you're in the portable partition business, gimme a call.  I'll get you all the capital you need and you can name your price for purchases. 

Every ISD is about to get a directive from TEA to place built-to-fit partitions in every public school classroom by August.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

If you're in the portable partition business, gimme a call.  I'll get you all the capital you need and you can name your price for purchases. 

Every ISD is about to get a directive from TEA to place built-to-fit partitions in every public school classroom by August.  

Getting those kids ready for the cubicle farms early!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Costly and ineffective.

Way to go TEA!

27 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, good luck pulling that off Texas.  You think someone has all that material just sitting around?  The only outfit that could do that in such a short period of time is the US military.  I appreciate the concern for public safety but that’s a logistical nightmare.

Guest Lobo

Didn't stop them from contemplating it.  According to a document, it's a possible recommendation.  I'm sure they'll buy all they can and then realize the rest isn't possible.  

Our school is about to announce a 50/50 model that most are.  But they're trying something different where you pick a particular tract for 9 weeks and you have to stick to it one way or the other.  

17 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Yeah, good luck pulling that off Texas.  You think someone has all that material just sitting around?  The only outfit that could do that in such a short period of time is the US military.  I appreciate the concern for public safety but that’s a logistical nightmare.

Not to mention it would be ineffective as well. Viral load for infection tends to be greater the longer the exposure as well as the more you enclosed the space. Recirculating air just spreads the virus around and that's why places like church, office buildings, restaurants, schools will lead to the most infections (outside of massive, crowded indoor gatherings like sporting events and concerts). 

Having cubicles does nothing to solve the biggest problems of infected people putting the virus into the air that gets recirculated around the room for extended period of time. 

https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them?fbclid=IwAR18pd1gzZQB-MtBtulr3Pgu28Y0eF1xThqelwpuD7EoJEFq41jDZAl_QoI

Edited by Wanker Bob
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Hell, nothing to it. Give every kid a big cardboard box, carve a door and a window on it, space them 6 feet apart. The little kids will think they're in a Smurf Village, the older ones will figure out how to shack up and fuck.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Liability and $$ are the engineers and drivers of Team Abbott and his agencies. Of the 15 members of the SBOE, 11 are Republicans. Safety and logistics are pfffft. Will charter and private schools have to comply? If not, then Betsy will be watching from afar to see how well this works to bankrupt more districts. Getting more students into investment charters and private Christian schools is her goal.

• Like 2

the reins are off and people/places will be able to do whatever they want for the rest of this crisis. Even if the curve unflattens, I don't believe it will matter. Trump has an election to win and deaths

If there is a big second wave and states stay open, I'm quite confident we'll see that they fuck up the economy a lot worse than a managed shutdown.

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

Hell, nothing to it. Give every kid a big cardboard box, carve a door and a window on it, space them 6 feet apart. The little kids will think they're in a Smurf Village, the older ones will figure out how to shack up and fuck.

you are a weird dude

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

If there is a big second wave and states stay open, I'm quite confident we'll see that they fuck up the economy a lot worse than a managed shutdown.

At some point, it doesn't matter what Abbott says or orders. Yes he can definitely shut things down but he can't make the public go to restaurants or bars. I read about some projection that estimates Houston could start having 2000 new cases per day this summer.  Now there's less than 200-300. If that really occurs with a corresponding increase in fatalities, it won't matter what Abbott says, few people will be going out.  Many restaurants will shut down on their own.

At some point, it doesn't matter what Abbott says or orders. Yes he can definitely shut things down but he can't make the public go to restaurants or bars. I read about some projection that estimates Houston could start having 2000 new cases per day this summer.  Now there's less than 200-300. If that really occurs with a corresponding increase in fatalities, it won't matter what Abbott says, few people will be going out.  Many restaurants will shut down on their own.
Agreed. 42 percent will keep on chugging though. And that 42 percent still goes to grocery stores, pharmacies, clinics, hospitals, etc.

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Many restaurants will shut down on their own.

This time next year it's gonna be Chik-Fil-A robot delivery trucks, and nothing else. And I say this as a man who dies a little from boredom every time he eats Chik-Fil-A. But a robot delivery truck would be cool.

Didn't stop them from contemplating it.  According to a document, it's a possible recommendation.  I'm sure they'll buy all they can and then realize the rest isn't possible.  
Our school is about to announce a 50/50 model that most are.  But they're trying something different where you pick a particular tract for 9 weeks and you have to stick to it one way or the other.  
Just have half go MWF and the other half TuesThurs. Then the next week flip it. One way hallways, wear masks, unfortunately no sports.

Just have half go MWF and the other half TuesThurs. Then the next week flip it. One way hallways, wear masks, unfortunately no sports.

This is exactly what our district is floating right now.

And add in “no more cafeteria” - students will be assigned a lunch group of ten students and will eat in classrooms and six feet apart.

12 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

This is exactly what our district is floating right now.

And add in “no more cafeteria” - students will be assigned a lunch group of ten students and will eat in classrooms and six feet apart.

I'm sofa king glad I don't have children. pulling out for the win!

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, GRHorn said:

On the athletic front, don’t know if it’s been posted, but TAAF cancelled all summer sports (track, swimming etc). Bummed but not surprised. 

you know, i had to put phlegm on ignore a long time ago to just avoid his silliness to some extent...but more importantly so i did not have to vomit every time he posted those fucking longcat food pic walls of disgusting shit.  your avatar has me contemplating that for you as the second ever.  what in god's fucking name is that?  a fucking hot dog surrounded by the world's shittiest steak and dogshit that someone vomited?  i sure hope i'm missing something here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sidis said:

you know, i had to put phlegm on ignore a long time ago to just avoid his silliness to some extent...but more importantly so i did not have to vomit every time he posted those fucking longcat food pic walls of disgusting shit.  your avatar has me contemplating that for you as the second ever.  what in god's fucking name is that?  a fucking hot dog surrounded by the world's shittiest steak and dogshit that someone vomited?  i sure hope i'm missing something here.

do you know what you have done?

2 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

do you know what you have done?

no.  hate being the guy who hasn't looked at shit in a while and isn't in on whatever nonsense insider stuff is going on but that's obviously me on this one.

2 minutes ago, sidis said:

no.  hate being the guy who hasn't looked at shit in a while and isn't in on whatever nonsense insider stuff is going on but that's obviously me on this one.

9 minutes ago, sidis said:

Not only did he pay top $$$ for that plate of shit, he risked his and his family's lives to do so. 

100 percent grade A made in America MORON

• Like 1

Guest Lobo
42 minutes ago, DaysOff said:
2 hours ago, Lobo said:

To do that, you'd also have to have every parent's employer and daycare provider align themselves with the ISD's calendar staggering.  That seems really easy.

9 minutes ago, sidis said:

He went out to Bob’s on the first day of restaurant openings and posted that as some sort of brag. He got slammed for it for a few days so like a petulant child he has doubled down. 

9 hours ago, BradInATX said:

It's maddening to me that nobody has collected any good data on this. We can nitpick about shutting down a week earlier or whatever, but this is the type of stuff where leadership has completely failed. As things are re-opening, people are going to have to start making decisions where they're balancing their livelihood against their health and their children's health. And leadership, on all levels, has completely failed to provide us with any real data around where the real risks are. I mean, we're two-plus months into this motherfucker and we still don't know for sure whether we really need to wipe down our groceries or not. 

We are relying on Korea and France and China to give us the science and data behind the disease that we need to make decisions that are best for our families.

That is fucked up.

spacer.png

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Wasn't the DT thread making fun of the Italian mayor and his hug a Chinese initiative back in February?

I'm sure pointing this out in that thread would earn me a vacation though.

It's not worth it.  I just clicked on that to see if there were any signs of intelligent life over there.  There aren't.

(P.S. I find it fascinating that some of the stupidest posters on this site have very high rep points -- cheeseweasel)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Wasn't the DT thread making fun of the Italian mayor and his hug a Chinese initiative back in February?

I'm sure pointing this out in that thread would earn me a vacation though.

They can all be stupid, and quite often are.

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

He went out to Bob’s on the first day of restaurant openings and posted that as some sort of brag. He got slammed for it for a few days so like a petulant child he has doubled down. 

Or I know that is what I am known for most here now, and I’m able to laugh about it. 

2 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

Not only did he pay top $$$ for that plate of shit, he risked his and his family's lives to do so. 

100 percent grade A made in America MORON

My God, you’re a drama queen. 

Went to a public park yesterday, and Target a few days ago. Was that risking their lives too?