Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

3 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

It's pretty sad because the folks that push for that don't seem to understand just how many people have to contract the virus in order to achieve this. I hope those folks volunteer since they are so gung ho.

Narrator: They said they would, but they didn't.

• Like 1

We took our heathen selves to the grocery store this morning and mask usage is dropping. We were masked, saw one of our friends in passing and he was masked. Employees were masked and the rest of the shoppers were at <50 percent. Will be interested to see the June data regarding case hospitalizations.

8 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Wife had to go to Killeen to show some houses today. Got there early so stopped by HEB. Two masks in a packed store. 

I only do curbside, but the nearest HEB looks like a ton of masks going in and out.

Might be a class thing.

2 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Went to the Dallas Arboretum today.  Only letting in a few people at a time -- good social distancing but virtually no masks.  We saw some friends and when we called them over to within six feet, then they put on their masks.

You clearly have smarter friends than many

13 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Went to the Dallas Arboretum today.  Only letting in a few people at a time -- good social distancing but virtually no masks.  We saw some friends and when we called them over to within six feet, then they put on their masks.

We were there this morning as well. An odd experience but the wife was happy to go back again as it's probably her favorite spot in town. In the fall, we were going for early member mornings after dropping the kids off at school. Today felt a little like that. Not many people around. Most people kept their distance. Not many masks outside of the staff but it felt way too muggy to keep them on given we were outside and not many people were ever around us. Doubt we'll go back for a while unless they do more member only events. 

2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

We took our heathen selves to the grocery store this morning and mask usage is dropping. We were masked, saw one of our friends in passing and he was masked. Employees were masked and the rest of the shoppers were at <50 percent. Will be interested to see the June data regarding case hospitalizations.

Glad to  I've in the commie county of Los Angeles, where the nazis require you to wear a  mask...

Edited by otisdog
correcting spell check

6 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Partiers want to see a reason to party. They want to believe it's low risk beyond tumbling head first off a high patio or finding the woman you took to the wrong hotel room is actually a dude

Sorryforpartying.gif

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

i went to my neighborhood krogers in the hood for a quick queso run (before the golf match today). it was very nice to see about 90% of the shoppers in masks. 

8 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

The point is that it's just human behavior to see what you're looking for (confirmation bias but I refuse to let Dunning and Krueger slap their name on something observed for so long). Partiers want to see a reason to party. They want to believe it's low risk beyond tumbling head first off a high patio or finding the woman you took to the wrong hotel room is actually a dude. 

Hey, buddy, niiiiiiiiice cock

I popped in to my local pool supply store today to get some chemicals.  I'm in full ninja mode wearing my balaclava and sunglasses.  Store is about 50/50 on mask wearing, but most folks are trying to keep distance.  The floors are marked with tape on where to stand to maintain social distancing and most people are being diligent about it.  I head to the checkout counter and am 1st in line waiting on another customer to finish paying.  While I'm waiting, some middle aged, non-mask wearing yahoo enters the store and walks right up to my back to wait in line.  I turn my head to give him a "really?" look, but he can't see it because ninja.  But ninja was pretty effective at giving him an oh snap moment because he backed up immediately.  /csb

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Wife had to go to Killeen to show some houses today. Got there early so stopped by HEB. Two masks in a packed store. 

Well, that's Fox News country.  They're not falling for this liberal hoax to try to unseat the president.  

I was at an HEB in Austin this morning.  Out of probably 50-ish people in the store, all but one was wearing a mask.  I'm sure we'll start slacking, too, but at least it hasn't started yet.

yeah, same...Far West HEB late this afternoon.... i'd say as high as 98% masked, literally only saw 3 people without and one was a 10 yoa kid.

i mean, if we're basically relying on the sensibility and consideration of our fellow citizens... Austin is not a bad place to be. 

yeah, same...Far West HEB late this afternoon.... i'd say as high as 98% masked, literally only saw 3 people without and one was a 10 yoa kid.
i mean, if we're basically relying on the sensibility and consideration of our fellow citizens... Austin is not a bad place to be. 

Same - same store around 6:00. I saw one family of three without. They looked lower income, and a bit sheepish about not having masks. I didn’t see anyone hassle them, and I was glad about that.

16 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Same - same store around 6:00. I saw one family of three without. They looked lower income, and a bit sheepish about not having masks. I didn’t see anyone hassle them, and I was glad about that.

They drove in for the MILFs.

• Like 1

I’m still seeing most people in Houston wearing masks in the grocery store. Went to a restaurant for dine-in for the first time last night. Other customers were at least 10 feet away. Waiter And staff wore a mask. Felt safe and it was nice to eat out again.

as far as people (not) wearing a mask in smaller counties like Bell (Killeen), that’s a risk decision. Most likely their infection rate is lower than large cities and I assume their population density is lower as well so they’re naturally more a part from each other.

I don’t see a reason not to wear a mask in a crowded grocery store regardless the city size. If only to show respect to the people working there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I’m still seeing most people in Houston wearing masks in the grocery store. Went to a restaurant for dine-in for the first time last night. Other customers were at least 10 feet away. Waiter And staff wore a mask. Felt safe and it was nice to eat out again.

as far as people (not) wearing a mask in smaller counties like Bell (Killeen), that’s a risk decision. Most likely their infection rate is lower than large cities and I assume their population density is lower as well so they’re naturally more a part from each other.

I don’t see a reason not to wear a mask in a crowded grocery store regardless the city size. If only to show respect to the people working there.

the analysis of the restaurant where one person infected many indicated that there were two tables away from the a/c vents that weren't affected while all the other tables adjacent or on the vents were.(if I read it correctly)  What type of filtration, or other strong UV perhaps, would limit the spread in a restaurant or even, possibly, an office setting.

18 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Yea, Killeen was a shitshow before they started reopening.  Packed stores, and at best 50% wearing masks.  

I do most off my shopping there and I was honestly under the impression they wouldn't let you in without one, until I saw my first unmasked shopper yesterday. I much prefer shopping in person but if that starts rising I'll jump on the curbside train.

1 hour ago, zork said:

the analysis of the restaurant where one person infected many indicated that there were two tables away from the a/c vents that weren't affected while all the other tables adjacent or on the vents were.(if I read it correctly)  What type of filtration, or other strong UV perhaps, would limit the spread in a restaurant or even, possibly, an office setting.

huh

4 minutes ago, Born to Run said:
9 hours ago, conVINCEd said:
They drove in for the MILFs.

Nah, Jewbies. Far West is pretty low on Milfs in my experience. For that you want Bee Cave. Yoga pants Valhalla.

It’s been a while since I lived in Austin.  Far West HEB and Tarrytown Randall’s we’re always quality options.

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Haha, you think folks that are against wearing masks in public places give a shit about showing respect to others?

Unless you're dirt poor, most everyone has access to a mask now...hell some places are giving them away. So if someone is out shopping without a mask, they're basically silent protesting (and don't give a shit about their own health or being respectful to others).

Username name checks out, you're too nice Eddie!

Edited by texas08

Had to go to Home Depot (Brodie) yesterday because of a leaking toilet. It was fairly crowded, but I only saw ONE person without a mask. And very few people were shopping with someone else (one family, a few couples). Very encouraging. One of the rare times I can say I’m truly happy that I live in Austin

Nah, Jewbies. Far West is pretty low on Milfs in my experience. For that you want Bee Cave. Yoga pants Valhalla.

I thought that too....then I had a random day off, and went shopping on a Tuesday around 10:00 am. After all the moms drop the kids off at school, and go do their yoga and Starbucks...they hit that HEB. It was about 150 west Austin moms...and me. It was glorious.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:
11 hours ago, mchookem said:

I do most off my shopping there and I was honestly under the impression they wouldn't let you in without one, until I saw my first unmasked shopper yesterday. I much prefer shopping in person but if that starts rising I'll jump on the curbside train.

I’m at this HEB at least 4-5x/week and I too saw my first unmasked shopper yesterday. The irony is he was probably 70-75 years old.  

For the most part, the mask wearing in Austin has been pretty solid during all of this.  I’d easily give our city a B+/A-   

25 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

I’m at this HEB at least 4-5x/week and I too saw my first unmasked shopper yesterday. The irony is he was probably 70-75 years old.  

For the most part, the mask wearing in Austin has been pretty solid during all of this.  I’d easily give our city a B+/A-   

I've been impressed by the response here in Austin generally.  That said, I stopped by the HEB out in Lakeway a couple of days ago and was shocked by the number of people without masks - probably > 20% weren't wearing masks, including quite a few elderly folks.  Also had to follow a lady sans mask who had to weigh 4 bills riding her scooter-cart into the store so slow that I'm assuming she was frying the motor on the poor thing - yea, 'Merica!  On top of that, none of the staff at Twin Liquors in Lakeway were wearing any masks.  Takeaway - fuck Lakeway.  I'll stay within the Austin city limits.

Yesterday at the Slaughter/Escarpment HEB I saw an unmasked HEB curbside employee picking out fruits and vegetables to place on his cart. Kind of defeats the purpose I would think. Plus about 6 or 7 unmasked shoppers.  This was around 1pm and the store was pretty packed. 

On various errands, and just driving around for sanity's sake, central north Dallas traffic has more or less returned to normal.

The parking lot at NorthPark is full(er), but not quite normal.  Nothing noticeable at eateries, but I haven't driven by the entertainment districts.

Masks are pretty prevalent still in the places I actually go into, which is the grocery store and the odd convenience store, and even among people I see out and about, other than exercising.

20 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

One of the funniest things about the GOP turning masks into a culture war thing is that like half their base probably already had a bunch of masks at home with the punisher logo on them, or were otherwise “tacticool,” and couldn’t wait for an excuse to wear them in public. But Trump thought he’d look like a pussy if he wore a mask, so now they’ve got to pretend masks are for gay liberal Jews and burn them I guess.

Yea, at a minimum most of the tactical nerds probably have neck gaiters.  They finally have the chance to wear it in public and not come off like a complete douche.  Maybe that's the problem, if they cant be called a douche for it, they don't want it.  

On 5/24/2020 at 11:44 AM, Wanker Bob said:

https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them?fbclid=IwAR18pd1gzZQB-MtBtulr3Pgu28Y0eF1xThqelwpuD7EoJEFq41jDZAl_QoI

Anyting indoor with recirculated air systems we'll make the six foot boundary moot because it can infect at a high percentage anyone that's down wind of the circulated air patterns from an infected even if asymptomatic and just breathing. The volume of air in the place plus the number of people plus the duration of time spent in the place directly correlates to the risk of infection. Lower air volume, more people, longer time = higher infection rates. 

Outdoors it seems more like as long as people aren't right in your face or you're not touching your face the risk should be pretty low. 

it's insane this information hasn't gotten out to everybody by now as this isn't something new. Science has known how respiratory illnesses travel for a very long time now. 

That article someone linked last week was great at explaining this.  Not only is airflow part of the equation, but time of exposure.  You have to be exposed to any concentration an amount of time relative to that concentration.  That's why wearing the masks inside businesses is a courtesy towards those who have to work in those confined spaces with low air turnover.  So on one hand you have people  praising these front line workers and on the other hand condemning them because wearing a mask impinges on their freedom.   

15 hours ago, otisdog said:

Foosters& Longhorn, try again....

I sensed some tongue in cheek humor in the use of nazis, otisdog, was i wrong?

Meanwhile out in rural Texas, everything is basically open again.  It was never going to really get into the rural areas, and they went along with it for a while, the schools and distancing.  But now it's back to acting like those fools on the redneck riviera.    I went to the local Brookshire Bros and this trumpkin I know told me how sad it was I was wearing a mask.   The only reason I could be wearing one would be to try to maintain the hysteria of the hoax.  I just shook my head and moved on.   If he'd coughed on me though, i think i would have decked him.  Then washed my hands for a half hour.

It affects them because deep inside they have doubt about their not wearing.  So when they see you, it's easier to try to shame you down to their level of not self protecting than it is to rise to yours.  It's like they can't be comfortable with anyone being or thinking different than they do.   I guess maybe even subconsciously JimBob figures if everyone feels and does as JimBob does, then no one has a chance to be smarter than JimBob.   Herd mentality.  At least that's what i figure.   

• Like 5

2 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

Had to go to Home Depot (Brodie) yesterday because of a leaking toilet. It was fairly crowded, but I only saw ONE person without a mask. And very few people were shopping with someone else (one family, a few couples). Very encouraging. One of the rare times I can say I’m truly happy that I live in Austin

Jon Stewart What GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY