Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

12 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

Pics of wife?

Must be hot if she’s that dumb. 

No pics but yes on the other two. I love her but she's not the brightest when it comes to things like this. I even tried using the "imagine if this was a terrorist organization killing 1-2k Americans every day and hospitalizing tens of thousands more" imagery to drive the point home but no dice. 

If it was me by myself I could easily make it a year meditating and writing music. But the women folk around here just dont have discipline

Edited by Wanker Bob

I think I've lost the war. 
The dam finally broke and the wife couldn't handle being chained by the pandemic any longer. For the first time since early March she went out with her girlfriends to the bar. 
I kept the beast subdued for as long as possible but finally heard the dreaded "I'd rather die from the virus than live like this without socializing with my girlfriends anymore"
Well fellas, pray for me. 

She’s out hunting side dick.
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wanker Bob said:

The dam finally broke and the wife couldn't handle being chained by the pandemic any longer. For the first time since early March she went out with her girlfriends to the bar. 

I kept the beast subdued for as long as possible but finally heard the dreaded "I'd rather die from the virus than live like this without socializing with my girlfriends anymore"

You fucked up.

Should have told her to invite the girls over to your place and you would pick up a bunch of wine for them to enjoy.

At least there's a chance of a drunken threesome later on in that scenario.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BradInATX said:

So 29 hospitalizations in Austin today which is another new high. 7-day average up to 17.1. For the last three days we've blown away the previous high. Our peak prior to June was 11.8 on May 20th.

Before the last three days, the most admits we saw in a day was 18. We've now had 24, 23, and 29. If the next few days follow suit our 7 day average is going to be more than double what it ever was before. Let's hope it's a temporary spike due to holiday weekend and/or protests and not a trend that continues.Because this trend is really, really sharply upward. Nothing smooth about it, no lube, etc.

I know I’m not telling you anything you don’t understand but down here in the coastal bend we aren’t just going up. We are doubling and tripling new cases. Hospitalizations will go up soon. I’d love to blame Memorial Day and in a way you can -mostly because covid just wasn’t in this area much at all, but that was sort of the all clear signal for a bunch of people to go back to normal. This isn’t the protestors because we just didn’t have any in this area. It’s the people traveling and going to stores/bars/restaurants. We are in for a wild ride.

think we hit close to 25% positive rate here today and while it’s very very likely just a weird data day, we are trending heavily the wrong direction. I think we were around 3 or 4%.

Edited by justhookit

1 hour ago, Grade of D as in David said:

You fucked up.

Should have told her to invite the girls over to your place and you would pick up a bunch of wine for them to enjoy.

Oh we've been doing that for weeks. They're tired of drinking at home and wanted to hit their favorite bars. Unfortunately the friends aren't slutty enough for me to hit a 3/4some. Not even with my British accent. One of them is a hot ass Persian girl, literally the hottest I've seen in person. If I could hall pass it where it wouldn't fuck up my marriage I'd bend over backwards to eat her ass. 

The other one is the prototypical ugly chick that all groups of hot chicks have, although she's not that bad and after a couple whisky's I'd be all over that too. 

• Haha 2

Not going to lie, people that "have to get out to the bar!"  are immediately VERY unattractive these days,  no matter how "attractive" they may be. 

That NEED just makes me ill. And I had a regular weekly meet with my brother at a local bar before this started.  This bar opened up that first weekend, but now just announced they are closing again.  My buddy is an Urgent Care doc.  He had at least 7 positive cases last week.  I believe that 4 or 5 of them had gone to bars the first weekend we opened up.  

8 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Travis County new cases down under 80 today, which is basically a return to the previous trend.  Would hope to see similar over the weekend, and then monday and tuesday next week are reckoning days one way or the other. 

I have a question...did you not know about the hospitalization data that Brad posted or was there a reason you posted only part of the story?

cases are interesting, but we all know that hospitalizations is where it’s at.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

Well, she disobeyed you. If either of y’all start coughing and running a fever, you gotta shoot her then shoot yourself

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know I’m not telling you anything you don’t understand but down here in the coastal bend we aren’t just going up. We are doubling and tripling new cases. Hospitalizations will go up soon. I’d love to blame Memorial Day and in a way you can -mostly because covid just wasn’t in this area much at all, but that was sort of the all clear signal for a bunch of people to go back to normal. This isn’t the protestors because we just didn’t have any in this area. It’s the people traveling and going to stores/bars/restaurants. We are in for a wild ride.
think we hit close to 25% positive rate here today and while it’s very very likely just a weird data day, we are trending heavily the wrong direction. I think we were around 3 or 4%.
Damn. Where are you at? Didn't know it was that bad.

10 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

No pics but yes on the other two. I love her but she's not the brightest when it comes to things like this. I even tried using the "imagine if this was a terrorist organization killing 1-2k Americans every day and hospitalizing tens of thousands more" imagery to drive the point home but no dice. 

If it was me by myself I could easily make it a year meditating and writing music. But the women folk around here just dont have discipline

It’s not about discipline it’s about mental health. Google deaths of despair and coronavirus. Your wife (edit — like many if not most of us) is at significant risk for clinical depression and substance abuse disorder. She’s showing you this and instead of trying to understand it you’re browbeating her and trying to scare her more than she is with analogies of terrorists. 

Edited by Sawbonz
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, VRHorn said:

I have a question...did you not know about the hospitalization data that Brad posted or was there a reason you posted only part of the story?

Hospitalizations and deaths should trail new cases especially as testing expands. A consistent decrease in new cases into the middle of next week would be a very good sign. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, VRHorn said:

I don't think that the hospitalization data had been refreshed when I posted that (about 5 hours before brad's post).  As anybody keeping up with this discussion would tell you, I agree that we should focus on the hospitalization numbers, but cases are a useful leading indicator.  And you can go fuck your own face for the implication. 

Edited by Anastasis

4 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

A consistent decrease in new cases into the middle of next week would be a very good sign. 

Exactly. If on the other hand, we see a return to the new case rate that was set last week, buckle the fuck up.

With several campuses statewide declaring that masks must be worn indoors, I'm hoping those directives alongside some of the newer mask data coming out late this week may get a few more folks onboard. If it doesn't get more partisan than it already is, perhaps it will reverse some of the declining usage.

I traveled the state recently and outside of Austin and Port Lavaca mask usage is almost non existent. Completely absent in most small towns. New Mexico is being super careful, requiring masks and most things are still closed. Arizona just said fuck it and opened everything with no rules really

21 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

We still haven't heard anything from GRHorn who assured everyone that opening up was completely safe and anybody who disagreed was a scared libtard. I doubt he'll come back and man up. 

1) If you want me to respond, just tag me. You can do that by putting @ in front of my name. I’m sure you just forgot to do that. Good thing I was coming here to post another reopening anecdote. 

2) I have never and would never use the term libtard.

3) When did i say cases wouldn’t increase with reopening? I was consistent saying strict blanket stay at home orders were not justified given the Corona impact we had experienced here in Texas through the first wave. Thus we needed to open things back up. 

I also said that if conditions dictated we needed to reverse course then that would be the correct move. Unfortunately we’ve had some mixed messaging coming from media and govt officials in the wake of the protests that, to many people, will at least partially discredit their calls to lockdown again. 

I will say that the extent of this increase is surprising to me after hospitalizations had been stable for a month leading into Memorial Day/protests. I think in Texas we’ve become complacent to some extent. I suspect as it spreads somewhat and people become more aware of people they personally know that contracted it, that masking will pick back up and people will work to self isolate some more.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I agree with your last statement. Awareness is ticking up that it IS here and while mask usage is still hit or miss depending upon the locale, at least some of the mask shaming (for wearing one) is lessening a little.

Where are you experiencing mask shaming? Have not seen that anywhere around here. 

Whole list of bars/restaurants/grocery stores in SA that have had infected employees and had to either close temporarily or in some cases decided to stay close right now with cases increasing.

Im not quarantined at home but don’t really see a good reason to be out eating or heading to the bar. Do takeout though

6 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

It’s not about discipline it’s about mental health. Google deaths of despair and coronavirus. Your wife (edit — like many if not most of us) is at significant risk for clinical depression and substance abuse disorder. She’s showing you this and instead of trying to understand it you’re browbeating her and trying to scare her more than she is with analogies of terrorists. 

You're reading way too much into it. She's not showing any signs of clinical depression. I've gone out of my way to host small 2-3 women socialization gatherings once a week for her. Even put my college bartending skills to work making them fancy cocktails. 

This wasn't a call of despair. Yeah, things suck right now but we're both still working, she's had social contact, and from the little fit she threw yesterday it was stubbornness mixed with social media pressure. The exact scenario I mentioned I believe early in this thread is happening. They're seeing their acquaintances and co-workers going out for a couple of weeks now and not seeing them hospitalized or dying so they're starting to think it's overblown and not dangerous. 

These aren't old women. They're in their late 20s

Edited by Wanker Bob

11 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

They're seeing their acquaintances and co-workers going out for a couple of weeks now and not seeing them hospitalized or dying so they're starting to think it's overblown and not dangerous. 

This is hard to counter currently. Maybe less so in a couple weeks. Your wife wants to blow off some steam with girlfriends. Don’t be a stick in the mud. Let her have fun. 

19 hours ago, Okie State said:

I would estimate traffic on my morning commute at around 60-75% of normal for this time of year. It has steadily increased each week since the beginning of May.

In Dallas, it has returned to the usual shitshow.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

1) If you want me to respond, just tag me. You can do that by putting @ in front of my name. I’m sure you just forgot to do that. Good thing I was coming here to post another reopening anecdote. 

2) I have never and would never use the term libtard.

3) When did i say cases wouldn’t increase with reopening? I was consistent saying strict blanket stay at home orders were not justified given the Corona impact we had experienced here in Texas through the first wave. Thus we needed to open things back up. 

I also said that if conditions dictated we needed to reverse course then that would be the correct move. Unfortunately we’ve had some mixed messaging coming from media and govt officials in the wake of the protests that, to many people, will at least partially discredit their calls to lockdown again. 

I will say that the extent of this increase is surprising to me after hospitalizations had been stable for a month leading into Memorial Day/protests. I think in Texas we’ve become complacent to some extent. I suspect as it spreads somewhat and people become more aware of people they personally know that contracted it, that masking will pick back up and people will work to self isolate some more.

This is one of the problems with reopening that I foresaw but probably failed to articulate:  it's going to be hard to stuff the shutdown genie back in the bottle unless it gets really shitty.

A more phased, "nuanced" opening would have been a better idea.

Abbott's plan might have worked.  Phasing the various openings when the benchmarks were met was sound.  He fucking didn't follow any of it though as soon as he released it.  All it took was Trump prodding him and some fake protests and it was out the window.

Edited by kevwun

13 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

This is hard to counter currently. Maybe less so in a couple weeks. Your wife wants to blow off some steam with girlfriends. Don’t be a stick in the mud. Let her have fun. 

I did. I'm now just hoping it doesn't land her or me or both of us in hospital

15 hours ago, Grade of D as in David said:

You fucked up.

Excellent advice in this post. 

just tell your wife you would feel better if they all came to your house. It probably won’t work, but it might. 

Picked up my mom from the Austin airport today.  Saw a lady in a full paper suit with a face shield and mask.  Handful of other people wearing full face shields, masks, and gloves.  The bulk of people had masks, but there were plenty of people coming off the plane not wearing any kind of face covering.  Pretty crazy that someone would get into a cigar tube with other people without a mask at this point, but dumb gonna dumb.  

28 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

I did. I'm now just hoping it doesn't land her or me or both of us in hospital

Unless you’re a 50 year old sugar daddy, or either one of y’all are morbidly obese, the chances of that happening are incredibly small in your late 20s. Especially from a one off bar trip. 

• Like 1

"“I can behave as irresponsibly as I want, because I’m the only who’ll have to deal with the consequences,” and that is just not how a viral pandemic works!"

to add to this, there's also a notion that unless it's a violent crime or theft, only the consequences directly provided by the market should be allowed (if even then, see emaw's whinge fest). 

I went to my neighborhood pool last night.  There are all sorts of rules where we can only have 25% occupancy and everyone has to go online and get a ticket and be let in by the pool guard to make sure the community is following the occupancy rules.  Unfortunately, once I was inside I may have been the only person trying to social distance myself the 6 feet from everybody, whether in the pool or outside of the pool.  There were probably 100 people and everyone was all up on top of everyone.   The wife left after 5 minutes and I left shortly thereafter because I didn’t want to sit there and tell them I need my space when they all believe this is just a hoax.  That’s the Dallas suburbs for you.

I've noticed that there is an overlap between non-mask wearers and lottery/lotto fuckos that spend way too much time at the register.

I assume it's related to a lack of understanding of statistics.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I went to my neighborhood pool last night.  There are all sorts of rules where we can only have 25% occupancy and everyone has to go online and get a ticket and be let in by the pool guard to make sure the community is following the occupancy rules.  Unfortunately, once I was inside I may have been the only person trying to social distance myself the 6 feet from everybody, whether in the pool or outside of the pool.  There were probably 100 people and everyone was all up on top of everyone.   The wife left after 5 minutes and I left shortly thereafter because I didn’t want to sit there and tell them I need my space when they all believe this is just a hoax.  That’s the Dallas suburbs for you.

Our HOA is in the midst of a mini revolt.  They have opened the pool and few times and everybody has been really low key and kept their social distance. Some people are really scared of the lawyers though. 

My son doesn't get to go to camp next week (little neighborhood day camp that I was already a little uncomfortable with) because a kid in this week's camp went home sick w/fever.....doc diagnosed strep and discouraged covid test as "unwarranted"--parents insisted....what do you know, came back positive. So I guess all those kids are supposed to quarantine along with the lady running it. Or, maybe they do whatever they want to do and run around town.  Meanwhile, my kid will be playing video games at home all day, all week, driving me nuts while I try to "work." Goddamnit.  78757 in case you wonder. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BradInATX said:
On 6/13/2020 at 12:12 AM, justhookit said:

Damn. Where are you at? Didn't know it was that bad.

Yeah sorry I didn’t mean it to sound thaaaat bad. I’m in Port A but was referencing Nueces County which we are a part of. I think there was a weird data dump. @Anastasis watches this probably more than I do. We’ve gone from averaging around 3 new cases or less to 11 and then 15 in the last few days. Next Tuesday thru Friday should tell the story.  5 of those new cases  were in Port A which has me taking notice. I also may have miscounted. As far as I’ve seen the greatest number of tests in a day has been 111. So it’s somewhere between 15/68 or 15/111. Either way not good.

12 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Just drove down 306 by the Horseshoe and it was packed even by a summer Saturday standard. 

Was in Galveston yesterday for something.  I dont think there was any social Distancing.  Restaurants looked like they were at 100%.  Nearly every place at/near the Strand was full.  Place we ate was probably closer to 90%.   Only reason I agreed was we got a corner table and it was sort of isolated away from everyone else.  But the Seawall from the Galvez (21st Street) up past 61st was a ginormous clusterfuck.   Most of the beach access areas after that all the way down to almost Pointe West (so about 25-30 miles) had signs out that parking was full.  Didnt see those start to change until around 3-4 miles from Pointe West.

And before anyone else asks why I drove the length of of the Seawall, I had to be at the Galvez for something and then to check on something on the West End.  I dont know Galveston very well and didnt know I should have taken Avenue S/Stewart to avoid that shit show.  Now I do.

Edited by Macanudo

Picked up to-go food at Hill Country Galleria last night.  Place seemed packed considering the capacity rules for restaurants.  My estimate is ~40% of people were wearing masks.  The host stand in the restaurant was crowded af with none of those people wearing masks.  Disheartening to say the least.  Told my wife we need to prepare for the daycare to close again sometime in the next month.  Fucking nightmare.

The high school in my area does a strength and conditioning camp all summer that the high school athletes are supposed to participate in.  My kid refuses to go because it starts at 8am and he won’t wake up that early in the summer. It just started last week I think.  Well, just heard that one of the kids/coaches tested positive for Covid so they shut the camp down for 2 weeks.  Not sure if everybody that attended was told to go get tested or whatnot.  I don’t see how we get out of this if you have to open and close stuff over and over again.  I’m talking about regular school this fall, the NBA/MLB/NFL/NCAAF, and everything else.  

6 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

The high school in my area does a strength and conditioning camp all summer that the high school athletes are supposed to participate in.  My kid refuses to go because it starts at 8am and he won’t wake up that early in the summer. It just started last week I think.  Well, just heard that one of the kids/coaches tested positive for Covid so they shut the camp down for 2 weeks.  Not sure if everybody that attended was told to go get tested or whatnot.  I don’t see how we get out of this if you have to open and close stuff over and over again.  I’m talking about regular school this fall, the NBA/MLB/NFL/NCAAF, and everything else.  

14 day is the standard to bottle things up.  My office is part of a campus, roughly 20 small buildings on Fort Hood.  They have gone with a bubble system for containment.  If you work in that building you dont go to other buildings on the campus.  If anyone in a bubble pops, 14 day quarantine for everyone in there.  They want a designated person for travel to other buildings, so tracing is easier in the event that there is a positive test.  

• Like 1