Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

the one question I would like to see him answer is whether he actually speaks to the leaders of the largest counties and cities. From the misunderstanding or changing of his previous orders, it's obvious they don't have many conversations. Politics aside, Abbott should be on a call with the top county/city leaders everyday.

But they'd be mean to him, and we can't have that.  Meanness and rudeness have the president on the verge of a nervous breakdown every day.  These Republicans are way too fragile to be held accountable or asked questions by librul snowflakes.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

But they'd be mean to him, and we can't have that.  Meanness and rudeness have the president on the verge of a nervous breakdown every day.  These Republicans are way too fragile to be held accountable or asked questions by librul snowflakes.

when it comes to communications, Abbott is treating this crisis like he's the county judge of 5,000 people. Maybe that is how he governs in general: "don't worry I got this"

25 minutes ago, zork said:

Not sure your point dude.  Of course the protests haven't helped.  Neither have jam packed bars.  Neither have extremely low mask usage.  The reality is beginning MDW not many fucks have been given.   There are a lot of reasons this appears to be blowing up again.  But I have zero doubt those of a certain political persuasion will only focus on 1 of those reasons.   It's the most predictable thing ever.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

when it comes to communications, Abbott is treating this crisis like he's the county judge of 5,000 people. Maybe that is how he governs in general: "don't worry I got this"

His press conferences always look like they're being held in a fucking holiday inn business center. He's the governor of Texas for chrissakes, they can't do any better?

30 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

His press conferences always look like they're being held in a fucking holiday inn business center. He's the governor of Texas for chrissakes, they can't do any better?

You mean that he should have a setup and professionalism like he's the governor of the 2nd largest state and ~10th largest economy in the world? He runs his office like he's the governor from Benson.

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

You mean that he should have a setup and professionalism like he's the governor of the 2nd largest state and ~10th largest economy in the world? He runs his office like he's the governor from Benson.

Yeah and no fucking aggy flags behind you like he had the last time. We look like a fucking backwater state. Shit, we sure look like that to the rest of the world

32 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Not sure your point dude.  Of course the protests haven't helped.  Neither have jam packed bars.  Neither have extremely low mask usage.  The reality is beginning MDW not many fucks have been given.   There are a lot of reasons this appears to be blowing up again.  But I have zero doubt those of a certain political persuasion will only focus on 1 of those reasons.   It's the most predictable thing ever.

I read your post and looked up the date of the start of the protests in dfw.  Then the article talking about daily protests in Dallas,  for three weeks ending at Juneteenth, was one of the first to pop up.  So crowds protesting, generally without masks nor social distancing, largely, might give some credence to the at minimum decent amount of blame for the uptick in places where the protests were happening(big urban areas of Texas and elsewhere). 

The people protesting clearly thought it was worth the risk.  The pundits in general said it was as well.  That doesn't mean it wasn't the cause of many people getting it.  Bars and beaches, etc as well of course.

My family hasn't changed behavior much since late February.  I don't wear gloves as much but masks for sure when out and about which is to go to Home Depot or the grocery store on occasion.

1 minute ago, zork said:

I read your post and looked up the date of the start of the protests in dfw.  Then the article talking about daily protests in Dallas,  for three weeks ending at Juneteenth, was one of the first to pop up.  So crowds protesting, generally without masks nor social distancing, largely, might give some credence to the at minimum decent amount of blame for the uptick in places where the protests were happening(big urban areas of Texas and elsewhere). 

The people protesting clearly thought it was worth the risk.  The pundits in general said it was as well.  That doesn't mean it wasn't the cause of many people getting it.  Bars and beaches, etc as well of course.

My family hasn't changed behavior much since late February.  I don't wear gloves as much but masks for sure when out and about which is to go to Home Depot or the grocery store on occasion.

https://www.thecut.com/2020/06/study-no-evidence-protests-coronavirus-spikes.html

I don't know that the article and referenced study are the end-all be-all, but there also appears to be no correlation between cities with protests and rising Covid cases. Minneapolis is still on a downslope, and it was obviously the epicenter of it all.

It's very unlikely that the protests are a major contributor to the rising rates in Texas. 

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

https://www.thecut.com/2020/06/study-no-evidence-protests-coronavirus-spikes.html

I don't know that the article and referenced study are the end-all be-all, but there also appears to be no correlation between cities with protests and rising Covid cases. Minneapolis is still on a downslope, and it was obviously the epicenter of it all.

It's very unlikely that the protests are a major contributor to the rising rates in Texas. 

This.  Correlation doesn't equal causation.  Again, that's not to say that protests contributed zero cases - they surely did contribute some number of transmissions.  But areas with large protests have seen both upswings and downturns in case numbers.  Common thread of protests, different outcomes.  That's a strong indicator that something OTHER than the protests is the largest driver of transmission.

21 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Zork, did you not watch the news coverage of the protests?

Some of it, mostly clips/photos, from the internet.  We don't watch TV in zork-casa, mainly disney movies on a weekend for a treat. (disney+ sub till the end of summer)

I saw packed in overhead video/shots of protests from different cities.   Just like I saw clips/photos of packed bars and beaches from the last few weeks as well.    

Edited by zork

43 minutes ago, zork said:

Some of it, mostly clips/photos, from the internet.  We don't watch TV in zork-casa, mainly disney movies on a weekend for a treat. (disney+ sub till the end of summer)

I saw packed in overhead video/shots of protests from different cities.   Just like I saw clips/photos of packed bars and beaches from the last few weeks as well.    

Thanks.  I asked because you specifically talked about the protests as being places where people were packed together without masks, just like bars.  The overwhelming majority of protestors were wearing masks.  That was clear if you were seeing the video of these marches.  Maybe not as clear from the pictures you saw.  That doesn't mean that the protests are not going to be partially responsible for spread, but I suspect they'll be less than many feared because so many did have masks on.

6 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Thanks.  I asked because you specifically talked about the protests as being places where people were packed together without masks, just like bars.  The overwhelming majority of protestors were wearing masks.  That was clear if you were seeing the video of these marches.  Maybe not as clear from the pictures you saw.  That doesn't mean that the protests are not going to be partially responsible for spread, but I suspect they'll be less than many feared because so many did have masks on.

He added that "fact" (FAKE NEWS!) to try and covertly make his point of liberal hypocrisy.  Don't take if for anything more than it is: more of Zork's lying and cowardice.   

18 hours ago, trauma babe said:

You are right. A lot of clinical supervisors, unit managers, and educators are not sellouts, and do try their hardest to make things better for their staff. You are 100% right that profit (even though I work primarily at a non-profit hospital) drives everything

Let me amend that to nurses who become head administrators. They do have power. 

In my experience nurses who become admins almost always have an axe to grind with doctors.  Our CEO in my residency program was a nurse who loved talking down to doctors.  We all just laughed at her as she had very little power to affect us in any real way.  At a time like this though, she would have been a disaster.  

edit: and I agree on the not a hero thing.  And you’re spot on with the bullshit pandering by admins that is supposed to take the place of the real change that is needed.  
We work from the fanciest ICU’s in top hospitals to shithole 2 star nursing homes.  If you think you have it bad in ICU’s you should try being a physical therapist in a nursing home.  They treat patients with active infections and are literally last in line to get PPE.  Sad shit.  I’ve seen things I wouldn’t expect to see in third world hospitals/healthcare centers.  But those places have the most healthcare hero signage BS you’ll ever see...

Edited by ChiTownDoc

47 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

He added that "fact" (FAKE NEWS!) to try and covertly make his point of liberal hypocrisy.  Don't take if for anything more than it is: more of Zork's lying and cowardice.   

I love you as well.  Is there a problem pointing out hypocrisy where it might exist?  

I noticed that several announcements for protests in various locales requested that participants wear masks and/or attempt to distance. One thing with the bar/restaurants is that in addition to patrons being indoors (unless patioed) is that the combination of loud music and maskless (eating/drinking) behavior tends to lead to much leaning in and shouting to be heard/listening to understand. Not great for limiting viral load.

17 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

They’re not. They’re all in on idiocy. It’s the brand.

i like how they come up with reddit theories that masks are not effective, discounting their use, while medical professionals have been using masks for about a century now to mitigate transmission of disease/germs.

1 minute ago, yoladu said:

i like how they come up with reddit theories that masks are not effective, discounting their use, while medical professionals have been using masks for about a century now to mitigate transmission of disease/germs.

I mean....for fuck's sake.....this.  We have a century of data and protocols telling us that masks lower the risk of the wearer transmitting an infectious disease.  But masks are actually some wacky idea to control the population that George Soros just came up with or something like that.  Jesus tapdancing Christ -- it's not just a lack of critical thinking, it's ANTI-critical thinking.

9 minutes ago, kevwun said:

So Abbott is blaming the spike on people not following his re-opening plan.  Greg Abbott doesn't follow his own plan.

so, i thought he advocated Texans having the freedom to exercise "personal responsibility". You know... do whatever you want.. we'll provide guidelines, but we wont enforce them.

i am sure a good scolding will take of it.

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I mean....for fuck's sake.....this.  We have a century of data and protocols telling us that masks lower the risk of the wearer transmitting an infectious disease.  But masks are actually some wacky idea to control the population that George Soros just came up with or something like that.  Jesus tapdancing Christ -- it's not just a lack of critical thinking, it's ANTI-critical thinking.

I'm leaning in on the prophetic nature of Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome and in the not too distant future the children of the Great American Climate Change Desert will recite into the darkness of a vast wasteland: "every night we does the tell, so that we 'member who we was and where we come from."

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, yoladu said:

Yeah, but medical professionals went to college and got their minds all filled up with librul agenda.  You can't trust a doctor any more than you can trust a scientist, you understand?  You gotta go to a straight shooter like Jesse Watters if you want the truth.

Just now, TexArcher said:

Yeah, but medical professionals went to college and got their minds all filled up with librul agenda.  You can't trust a doctor any more than you can trust a scientist, you understand?  You gotta go to a straight shooter like Jesse Watters if you want the truth.

The accuracy of this is utterly depressing.

3 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

The accuracy of this is utterly depressing.

Oh yeah.  It only sounds like satire.  There are about a hundred million people in this country who would nod along while hearing their 320-pound Alabama diner waitress spew that lunacy.

34 minutes ago, kevwun said:

So Abbott is blaming the spike on people not following his re-opening plan.  Greg Abbott doesn't follow his own plan.

Abbott is going to ensure that nothing can be blamed on him:

• Economy crashes - Not my fault, I opened up everything
  • COVID-19 expands - Not my fault, I told everyone to follow my advice

His goal is to do as little as possible so nothing lands on him. I don't think he wants citizens in Dallas, Houston, Austin, or SA to get sick but as it happens, he'll throw the blame on the people themselves, usually unnamed others, or local officials.

• Like 2

the gov probably does not want the press their to see him gargling Trump's balls non stop.  He did not do shit but wait for the White House guidance which was garbage and never came anyway.  He was being a massive pussy because he was afraid of pissing off the rural cities.  It these 'macho' repubs in leadership would have come out and said it that only limp wrist-ed libs don't wear mask and that true patriots wear masks to protect their mothers and grandmothers, then this shit would already be over.  But our pres was too much of a pussy to wear a mask because he though people would make fun of him.  and Texas leadership just fell right in line and life saving masks became political.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

His goal is to do as little as possible so nothing lands on him. I don't think he wants citizens in Dallas, Houston, Austin, or SA to get sick but as it happens, he'll throw the blame on the people themselves, usually unnamed others, or local officials.

He's not stupid in that regard. The little meeting the R governors had recently didn't get the playbook leaked this time, but look at DeSantis of Florida. He's already blamed New Yorkers, Hispanics, young people, and probably some other group I'm forgetting. He blamed young people in one of his last press conferences and doesn't wear a mask, himself.

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

In my experience nurses who become admins almost always have an axe to grind with doctors.  Our CEO in my residency program was a nurse who loved talking down to doctors.  We all just laughed at her as she had very little power to affect us in any real way.  At a time like this though, she would have been a disaster.  

edit: and I agree on the not a hero thing.  And you’re spot on with the bullshit pandering by admins that is supposed to take the place of the real change that is needed.  
We work from the fanciest ICU’s in top hospitals to shithole 2 star nursing homes.  If you think you have it bad in ICU’s you should try being a physical therapist in a nursing home.  They treat patients with active infections and are literally last in line to get PPE.  Sad shit.  I’ve seen things I wouldn’t expect to see in third world hospitals/healthcare centers.  But those places have the most healthcare hero signage BS you’ll ever see...

My only axe to grind with docs is when they get mad at me for waking them up to tell them about something specific to a patient they put in a communication order to be notified about. Like, my dude (sexist, yes, but also my experience), you put this order in and I'm legally obligated to follow it. We get away with a lot of shit being more lax on night shift, but not stuff like that.

I could never be a nurse in a nursing home/assisted living facility. The working conditions are absolute shit (as you said), and staff:patient ratios are downright criminal (or would be, if we gave a fuck about the nurses and patients in nursing homes).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

My only axe to grind with docs is when they get mad at me for waking them up to tell them about something specific to a patient they put in a communication order to be notified about. Like, my dude (sexist, yes, but also my experience), you put this order in and I'm legally obligated to follow it. We get away with a lot of shit being more lax on night shift, but not stuff like that.

I could never be a nurse in a nursing home/assisted living facility. The working conditions are absolute shit (as you said), and staff:patient ratios are downright criminal (or would be, if we gave a fuck about the nurses and patients in nursing homes).

In my 10 years since residency I've never once raised my voice or bitched at a nurse.  That shit annoys me to no end and if I hear one of our doctors does that shit, I personally call them.  There's no place for that garbage.  And it's actually dangerous.  If nurses feel intimidated to communicate its a disaster waiting to happen...

• Like 3

I know this isn’t going to happen but Texas needs to go on a full lockdown now before this situation explodes to an uncontrollable catastrophe.  I realize the futility in making this suggestion but it’s important to acknowledge that it is an option not being considered.

• Like 1

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I know this isn’t going to happen but Texas needs to go on a full lockdown now before this situation explodes to an uncontrollable catastrophe.  I realize the futility in making this suggestion but it’s important to acknowledge that it is an option not being considered.

lulz

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

That's obviously his goal.  But I wonder if it's not too obvious.  It seems that a lot of people are taking notice, including people who would normally be on his side (Empower Texans).

My wife went to a medical imaging place this afternoon for a lung MRI as part of some sort of screening her doctor is having her do. She's not sick. She's standing in line to check in behind some dude who was hacking away. He was wearing a mask but my wife said he looked like shit and the nurse gave him a better mask. My wife asked the nurse if the guy had Covid and all she would say is that he had a cough. My wife noped right out of there and told them to cancel her appointment. Threw her mask away when she got home.

I think people are going to remember that he was the one person who could enact statewide safety measures yet refused to do so.  He's actively hindered cities and counties who have tried a more aggressive response. 

Edited by kevwun

Ordering a statewide lockdown/stay-at-home would only be taken seriously by a portion of the population, the people out in the rural areas wouldn’t take it seriously regardless of what Abbott says.  That’s why it’s better to overreact now then wait for the disaster to come to you. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz