Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

3 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Thoughts going out to your granddad. Hope it's a false alarm.

Thanks, I've been trying to get an update from my mom today, but she hasn't gotten back to me yet. Hopefully we'll know more soon.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

Horseshit!  Go look at the football board!  If you think UT isn't going to open the season in front of > 100k people then you're a giant fucking pussy! 

We’re all gonna get it so might as well get it and have football is what I say. 

• Fuck You 2

Both, really.  But I was thinking specifically of the ramifications for Abbott in 2022.  I think his standing has been seriously undermined by his mishandling of this crisis.

It’s almost as if his legs have been cut out from under him.
  • Like 1

football aint happening. best we just come to that realization. 

Don’t care about that, I care about my sons and their friends. This is now no more than 1 degree of separation from my kids, 2 degrees from yours probably.

• Like 1

Evidence that the Texas restaurant economy might be shutting down again on it own. 

The economy shut down in March before Abbott ever said a word. He’s extremely powerless in the face of scared Texans that decide for themselves to stay home. In fact, if Abbott is saying the things that he is now, makes me wonder if he has been briefed on some scary trends ahead.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Evidence that the Texas restaurant economy might be shutting down again on it own. 

The economy shut down in March before Abbott ever said a word. He’s extremely powerless in the face of scared Texans that decide for themselves to stay home. In fact, if Abbott is saying the things that he is now, makes me wonder if he has been briefed on some scary trends ahead.

And this is actually going to be more catastrophic than the shutdown because those restaurants are now having to carry the costs of being fully open.  They were better off when they were doing takeout only.

The premature reopening is going to do far more damage to the economy than an unnecessarily delayed reopening would've.

• Like 2

I don't know.  Given that the Governor doesn't give a shit about people dying, I'm probably free markety enough to think that over the long haul, the "do what you need to do to survive" approach that consumers and businesses have to take in Texas will ultimately turn out to be the most efficient way for remaining small businesses to come out of the crisis.  Deadly.  But efficient. 

Given trends in Germany, I'm thinking the "you have to take your medicine sometime, now is better than later" argument is going to continue to keep the numbers high.  Especially if raw death numbers don't make a huge jump.

And this is actually going to be more catastrophic than the shutdown because those restaurants are now having to carry the costs of being fully open.  They were better off when they were doing takeout only.
The premature reopening is going to do far more damage to the economy than an unnecessarily delayed reopening would've.

Yeah, the last two weeks I’ve gone from we’ll make it through it to, omfg. I don’t think things will be pretty for the next 12-18 months. This one is going to hit bigtime absent a miracle drug or miracle vaccine. Neither of which I’m hopeful for.

The shutdown should have lasted longer to put everyone in a better position to manage pandemic life and prepare for what is coming in the fall.  The supply chain is still hemorrhaging because of all the policy inconsistencies and uncertainty.  There was no plan except to wing it and winging it created a disaster on top of a disaster.

If only people had pointed this out before... sigh.
  • Like 2

Hospitalizations are the key measure for me and they are getting progressively worse

56 new admits yesterday (6/23) putting total number of hospitalizations at 236. For March - May Austin had 636 total hospital admits. In June alone Austin has had 473 admits. Just doing a quick and dirty straight line projection (actually doesn't reflect ramp of admits) June would finish at ~616 or almost the same as the prior three months combined.

94 ICU cases in Austin as well. There are from what I found on Texas Health Services site ~150 or so total ICU beds, so a large number are being used by COVID patients.

Shit is getting off rails.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, M12BH said:

Yeah I'm still around.  I quit posting for a number of reasons.  But I feel compelled to share this:  I survived Hodgkin's Lymphoma 8 years ago.    Didn't look back. Many of you may remember my sharing my journey (I used to be McAllan12'sBetterHalf, and my husband, who is apparently a lot smarter than me in this regard, blew y'all off a long time ago.) On March 5 this year I was diagnosed with breast cancer.  I had surgery three weeks ago and we are evaluating my options for further treatment.  I will say to anyone who does not or will not wear a mask, and expects me to just sit at home on lockdown (which I can't do anyway because of doctor appointments) so you can go to Costco and get your fucking Pringles or to Chili's for your fucking wings or to get your goddam haircut without being bothered to cover your face for 15 minutes because "muh freedums!" I hope you get fucked in the ass with a hot poker and then get Covid and die the most horrible death possible.  In that order.  No, check that.  I hope you get Covid, have a hellish six weeks on a ventilator, and then end up with COPD and all sorts of other horrible auto-immune and lung diseases that make your life miserable for then next 30 years and then die in a lingering and painful way.  Harsh?  Tough fucking shit.  I am showing you the same regard and respect you're showing me.  None.  And there are too many ignorant pricks who seem to think that either you are old and die in 5 minutes if you get Covid, and those people should just be shut-ins until there is a vaccine, or that you are asymptomatic and will be fine.  I'd love for you to experience first hand that there are other outcomes. 

So yeah, just brush aside the fact that mortality rates haven't risen with this last surge (yet) as evidence that you can act like a fucking toddler who doesn't want to do something just to show that you don't have to listen to mommy all of the time.  I hope you suffer the consequences ten-fold.  One last thing before someone chimes in with faux concern for my mental health.  Yeah I know it ain't good.  Yeah I"m angry.  Furious, even.  The President of the country I live in, and the Governor and Lt. Governor of the state I live in, want to kill me.  If that's not grounds to want to throttle someone with my bare hands I don't know what is.  And yes I have all the personal support I could need or want.  It still doesn't do any good when I've got cancer in the middle of a fucking pandemic and a good percentage of the people around me have as much regard for my health and safety as they would a piece of trash on the street.

OK I'm out for another two years or unless I croak first.  At this rate given the way things are going it's debatable as to which I'd prefer.

I think that states pretty succinctly my feeling on masks.

I'm sorry to hear you're going through that, and you certainly have my very best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

44 minutes ago, troph said:

Yeah, the last two weeks I’ve gone from we’ll make it through it to, omfg. I don’t think things will be pretty for the next 12-18 months. This one is going to hit bigtime absent a miracle drug or miracle vaccine. Neither of which I’m hopeful for.

I'm having a bad fucking morning in quarantine.  People need to wear a fucking mask and actually help us get this shit under control.  I can't take another 4 months of quarantine and quasi-opening and more quarantine and just shit.  Fuck everybody.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, M12BH said:

Yeah I'm still around.  I quit posting for a number of reasons.  But I feel compelled to share this:  I survived Hodgkin's Lymphoma 8 years ago.    Didn't look back. Many of you may remember my sharing my journey (I used to be McAllan12'sBetterHalf, and my husband, who is apparently a lot smarter than me in this regard, blew y'all off a long time ago.) On March 5 this year I was diagnosed with breast cancer.  I had surgery three weeks ago and we are evaluating my options for further treatment.  I will say to anyone who does not or will not wear a mask, and expects me to just sit at home on lockdown (which I can't do anyway because of doctor appointments) so you can go to Costco and get your fucking Pringles or to Chili's for your fucking wings or to get your goddam haircut without being bothered to cover your face for 15 minutes because "muh freedums!" I hope you get fucked in the ass with a hot poker and then get Covid and die the most horrible death possible.  In that order.  No, check that.  I hope you get Covid, have a hellish six weeks on a ventilator, and then end up with COPD and all sorts of other horrible auto-immune and lung diseases that make your life miserable for then next 30 years and then die in a lingering and painful way.  Harsh?  Tough fucking shit.  I am showing you the same regard and respect you're showing me.  None.  And there are too many ignorant pricks who seem to think that either you are old and die in 5 minutes if you get Covid, and those people should just be shut-ins until there is a vaccine, or that you are asymptomatic and will be fine.  I'd love for you to experience first hand that there are other outcomes. 

So yeah, just brush aside the fact that mortality rates haven't risen with this last surge (yet) as evidence that you can act like a fucking toddler who doesn't want to do something just to show that you don't have to listen to mommy all of the time.  I hope you suffer the consequences ten-fold.  One last thing before someone chimes in with faux concern for my mental health.  Yeah I know it ain't good.  Yeah I"m angry.  Furious, even.  The President of the country I live in, and the Governor and Lt. Governor of the state I live in, want to kill me.  If that's not grounds to want to throttle someone with my bare hands I don't know what is.  And yes I have all the personal support I could need or want.  It still doesn't do any good when I've got cancer in the middle of a fucking pandemic and a good percentage of the people around me have as much regard for my health and safety as they would a piece of trash on the street.

OK I'm out for another two years or unless I croak first.  At this rate given the way things are going, it's debatable as to which I'd prefer.

This is how you announce your presence with authority.

Keep grinding M12BH

15 minutes ago, M12BH said:

OK I'm out for another two years or unless I croak first.  At this rate given the way things are going it's debatable as to which I'd prefer.

Always love a woman that can fucking swear.  Agree with every mother fucking thing you said.

Stay safe and God bless....

• Like 1

I'm having a bad fucking morning in quarantine.  People need to wear a fucking mask and actually help us get this shit under control.  I can't take another 4 months of quarantine and quasi-opening and more quarantine and just shit.  Fuck everybody.

I agree. This is gonna suck. Trying to figure out if even outdoor activities like baseball are ok for my kids. Teenagers and young boys need social time and physical activity. It’s a freaking rock and a hard place.

1 hour ago, M12BH said:

first I am really sorry for what you’ve gone through and are going through now. I understand your anger and your very valid points. But who are you talking to here? 99% of this website is already wearing masks and doing what you want us to do. I mean you might have to censor the hell out of your post but I think it’s better addressed to letters to the editor of local newspapers. 

6 minutes ago, justhookit said:

first I am really sorry for what you’ve gone through and are going through now. I understand your anger and your very valid points. But who are you talking to here? 99% of this website is already wearing masks and doing what you want us to do. I mean you might have to censor the hell out of your post but I think it’s better addressed to letters to the editor of local newspapers. 

So the other 1 percent is in the DT thread?

Edited by DDD Dad

12 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

NFL will in some way, shape, or form.  College, you’re probably right.

This is what I believe. The NFL has too much money, too much money at stake, and a weak players union. They’ll do something.

I think college football this year gets cancelled eventually. 

12 hours ago, Fozzz said:

We’re all gonna get it so might as well get it and have football is what I say. 

You first.

@ultimaton I hope your grandfather recovers and feels better soon.

@M12BH I am glad you posted. Under your old name and the old site, you gave a fellow cancer patient hope every time you posted. I was only a lurker back then, but your posts and the artist Thujone, and the dog thread lifted my spirits so much. You may not want my sympathy, but you have it. It's a struggle each and every day and I'm thankful you have the support of those around you. Hang in there, it sucks, and go kick some cancer ass.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, troph said:

I agree. This is gonna suck. Trying to figure out if even outdoor activities like baseball are ok for my kids. Teenagers and young boys need social time and physical activity. It’s a freaking rock and a hard place.

Little league baseball is reasonably manageable b/c it’s outdoors and not a contact sport.  My brother coaches 10 year olds and they’ve been playing games while socially distancing, only allowing three players in the dugout at a time. His season ends Saturday. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

16 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

This is what I believe. The NFL has too much money, too much money at stake, and a weak players union. They’ll do something.

College football outright cancellation is still more unlikely than likely at present.  There was a framework for starting in December or January.  Obviously, a brutal 2nd wave and no vaccine would put a postponed / delayed season start at major risk.

My oldest son (10 y.o.) is supposed to go to a 2 week summer camp starting July 5th.  He was signed up last fall, we canceled this spring and then re-enrolled a few weeks ago when it looked like things were somewhat under control.  The camp has made drastic changes to their drop-off procedure and their day to day activities/procedures.  And pretty much everyone out there is confined to the camp grounds (way out in the East Texas woods) for the whole summer.  The cabins are not air conditioned, but I still feel like if one kid in the cabin shows up with asymptomatic CV19, then everyone in the cabin is likely to end up with it. 

I was the one that had to push my wife to get her comfortable that outdoor activities are fine - still pretty much feel this way, especially if we quarantine for 2 weeks as a family after camp is over.  But I have to admit that I'm waffling a bit with the case numbers in Texas trending like they are.

2 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

Hospitalizations are the key measure for me and they are getting progressively worse

56 new admits yesterday (6/23) putting total number of hospitalizations at 236. For March - May Austin had 636 total hospital admits. In June alone Austin has had 473 admits. Just doing a quick and dirty straight line projection (actually doesn't reflect ramp of admits) June would finish at ~616 or almost the same as the prior three months combined.

94 ICU cases in Austin as well. There are from what I found on Texas Health Services site ~150 or so total ICU beds, so a large number are being used by COVID patients.

Shit is getting off rails.

104759082_2999665273462223_5354530403812

• Like 2

I'm sure Lt. Gov. Patrick will be calling for a boycott of Connecticut by day's end.  Which is weird because he already dresses like a social-climbing lesbian from Bridgeport.  

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

No, this is how it plays out...

Everyone except the SEC will cancel.  Alabama will win the conference championship and go to the playoffs where the other three teams will be LSU, Florida and Auburn.  Sports media will shower us with stories of how no conference has ever dominated college football like the SEC.  Sadly, Alabama will win its 2304923042th title, but this travesty will have a silver lining as approximately half the coaching staff and fanbases of each team die from COVID-19, ushering in a decades long era of basement dwelling mediocrity for the SEC.

1 minute ago, Goredho said:

Everyone except the SEC will cancel.  Alabama will win the conference championship and go to the playoffs where the other three teams will be LSU, Florida and Auburn.  Sports media will shower us with stories of how no conference has ever dominated college football like the SEC.  Sadly, Alabama will win its 2304923042th title, but this travesty will have a silver lining as approximately half the coaching staff and fanbases of each team die from COVID-19, ushering in a decades long era of basement dwelling mediocrity for the SEC.

source.gif

8 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Everyone except the SEC will cancel.  Alabama will win the conference championship and go to the playoffs where the other three teams will be LSU, Florida and Auburn.  Sports media will shower us with stories of how no conference has ever dominated college football like the SEC.  Sadly, Alabama will win its 2304923042th title, but this travesty will have a silver lining as approximately half the coaching staff and fanbases of each team will die from COVID-19 over the course of the season, ushering in a decades long era of basement dwelling mediocrity for the SEC.

8 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Everyone except the SEC will cancel.  Alabama will win the conference championship and go to the playoffs where the other three teams will be LSU, Florida and Auburn.  Sports media will shower us with stories of how no conference has ever dominated college football like the SEC.  Sadly, Alabama will win its 2304923042th title, but this travesty will have a silver lining as approximately half the coaching staff and fanbases of each team will die from COVID-19 over the course of the season, ushering in a decades long era of basement dwelling mediocrity for the SEC.

10 minutes ago, Goredho said:

No one has ever 3-peated in the same year.

This would be quite the feat

• Like 2