Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

3 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

True. But a lot of the people who will lose coverage are brown, or poor, or both. Maybe a few white trash lose benefits but oh well. So who gives a shit?

Lol. There are millions of poor white people in this state. Just saying. 

If we're going with what the founders intended, then Paxton needs to resign.  This guy has been under indictment since 2015 with no fucking consequences and no trial.  He shouldn't be making claims as to the motivations and beliefs of the founders then telling us that's what we need to follow if he's not willing to fucking follow them himself.  How the fuck did we end up with such pieces of shit in every single elected state wide office?  Mother fucker.
I took Texas History at UT. Our current leaders kind of meet our historical standard for grift, incompetence and general fuckery.
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, HenryJames said:

It amazes me this tweet comes out during a pandemic.  When a whole lot of people are going to need healthcare, let's take away their healthcare insurance and replace it with nothing.   They must need to save their donors with big healthcare stock positions some money.  I guess they figure they can get away with murder.

9 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

It amazes me this tweet comes out during a pandemic.  When a whole lot of people are going to need healthcare, let's take away their healthcare insurance and replace it with nothing.   They must need to save their donors with big healthcare stock positions some money.  I guess they figure they can get away with murder.

So I guess I should hurry up and get sick so I still have some coverage?   Is that my best strategy?

2 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Texans are dying because of a Republican governor's mishandling of a health crisis, and y'all want to bring up Obamacare?  Now?  Go fuck yourselves.

That Republican governor gets cover from a whole lot of well-educated Texans who know better but continue to support a morally bankrupt political party.

Those people have no shame.

• Like 4

And not just losing their health insurance now.

We have no idea what the long term effects are of this virus. What if it leaves survivors with permanent lung or kidney damage? Y’all think insurance companies won’t throw them in the “preexisting condition” category and deny them health insurance forever?

It’s going to fuck those poor people till they die.
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, David Dennison said:

That Republican governor gets cover from a whole lot of well-educated Texans who know better but continue to support a morally bankrupt political party.

It depends on how you define: "well-educated"

These are the same Texans who chortle at liberal arts degrees. They have no idea how to identify systemic issues in governance.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

It depends on how you define: "well-educated"

These are the same Texans who chortle at liberal arts degrees. They have no idea how to identify systemic issues in governance.

Wait just one cotton-pickin' minute, people are chortling at my liberal arts degree.  Man, that stings. 

7 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Isn't that always the end goal with the GOP. We can bitch about racism all we want, but separation of wealth is really their main goal. 

Oh, yes.  They hate poor white people as much as they hate poor black and brown people.

They use poor white people to win elections, but only because they have to.

But make no mistake: if you're in the bottom 80% of wage earners, Republicans hate you and don't care if you die.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

O-Negative here.  Will book something at the South Austin Center next week. 

Thank you. The trauma wave I mentioned several days ago never stopped, and we pretty much ran out of PRBCs last night (Packed Red Blood Cells—just the red goop, no plasma/platelets), so the sooner the better.

Keep yourselves safe, all of you. Or get yourselves hurt but not that hurt so you can go to Hays or Wilco or really anywhere else would be cool. It's a bad time to be in the hospital right now (duh).

Edited by trauma babe
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

Thank you. The trauma wave I mentioned several days ago never stopped, and we pretty much ran out of PRBCs last night (Packed Red Blood Cells—just the red goop, no plasma/platelets), so the sooner the better.

Keep yourselves safe, all of you. Or get yourselves hurt but not that hurt so you can go to Hays or Wilco or really anywhere else would be cool. It's a bad time to be in the hospital right now (duh).

does treatment of COVID require transfusions?

1 minute ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

does treatment of COVID require transfusions?

We are doing some convalescent plasma transfusions, as well as every other type of transfusion, as indicated by the patient's condition. With some quick math from my personal experience, I can tell you roughly on average that if you're middle-aged or a senior in Austin, you probably have around five comorbidities, most of which make it harder to treat COVID. I can't give you any numbers on blood transfusions for COVID+ patients, as I don't work primarily in that ICU. I just get floated there every other week or so. I know they are close to having thirty ICU COVID beds full, which is their capacity (so they start coming to me, sigh).

We ran out of PRBCs (sort of, it's complicated) last night because people in Austin are very much not chill right now and keep seriously injuring themselves.

ordering mask usage would be a complete rejection of the conservative dogma abbott has espoused his entire life. when it mattered the most, he would have to completely reject the notion that less government is good and that people just need more PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. 

it would be a complete admission that everything he believed in terms government's role was wrong.

so while it would absolutely be the right thing to do, and would save the lives of Texans, he won't do that.

• Like 3

I work for a large organization. I just received an email from the uber jefe. Some of our people have essential jobs in the field. Covid cases more than tripled in the last two weeks from 34 to 113. 

What a bunch of goddamn idiots running this show. And think, Abbott wanted to wait another month for more data. 

How do you convince the people you convinced that this was all a big nothing to abandon their (absurd) anti-mask hysteria? 

Abbott and the villains who recklessly disregarded the general well being should be forced to sit in the ICU observing the results of their decision. Patrick ought to be forced to do so with no protection.

• Like 2

Here is view of hospitalizations by demographic. Big leaps WoW in Whites & Hispanics being hospitalized.

From June 1st Blacks +12, Whites +55, Hispanic +91

Asian Black White Hispanic Other
3/15/20 0 0 1 1 0
3/22/20 1 2 8 6 1
3/29/20 0 1 7 12 0
4/5/20 0 3 6 13 1
4/12/20 1 2 13 13 2
4/19/20 0 2 6 7 1
4/26/20 0 2 3 9 0
5/3/20 1 3 11 27 0
5/19/20 1 7 12 36 3
5/26/20 0 4 11 35 1
6/1/20 0 10 15 62 1
6/9/20 2 18 40 95 6
6/16/20 1 10 24 70 3
6/23/2020 3 22 70 153 7

That’s probably the gist of it. Insurance companies aren’t built to pay claims on hundreds of thousands of unexpected hospitalizations. Even after years of record breaking profits, they’re probably all seeing how fucked they are going to be

1 minute ago, SquishMitten said:

That’s probably the gist of it. Insurance companies aren’t built to pay claims on hundreds of thousands of unexpected hospitalizations. Even after years of record breaking profits, they’re probably all seeing how fucked they are going to be

This is what I was thinking too then Chitowndoc said insurance companies are better off because the overall YTD drop in elective surgeries is cheaper than the cost of covid patients. I wonder where that tipping point is and if Texas is shooting past it any time soon. 

20 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

In all honesty, we are going to need to start slapping people down and telling them how the fuck it is if we really want to stop this.  Freedom be damned.  People are too motherfucking stupid to do simple things like wear masks to stop a pandemic.  We are already a laughing stock of a country and now Texas is leading the way in being a laughing stock of a state.  God fucking dammit. 

We should change our nickname from The Lone Star State.

Texas: Clown College to America.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Covri said:

Well after what happened with the Dallas hair salon and refusing to close and getting away with it, what’s to stop bars from doing the same? 

As bad as this pandemic is a part of me wants to see some do this just to challenge Abbott and republican hypocrisy. 

• Like 1

This is what I was thinking too then Chitowndoc said insurance companies are better off because the overall YTD drop in elective surgeries is cheaper than the cost of covid patients. I wonder where that tipping point is and if Texas is shooting past it any time soon. 

Hmm. Interesting. Guess that makes sense. At least until everybody rushes back for elective surgeries once this starts calming down again. Can’t imagine those surgeries don’t happen eventually unless they weren’t actually necessary and folks heal up on their own.

8 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

3 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Hmm. Interesting. Guess that makes sense. At least until everybody rushes back for elective surgeries once this starts calming down again. Can’t imagine those surgeries don’t happen eventually unless they weren’t actually necessary and folks heal up on their own.

I just sat through a presentation on health insurance (for our renewal next year).  All of the insurers are stacking up some significant reserves, anticipating that costly elective procedures will come in various surges, and will fill in costs as the year goes on.

From perusing the Houston news networks' FB posts regarding this new closure, most of the lumpens appear to believe it is not Abbot's fault and instead we have failed him by not wearing masks and social distancing. lmao.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1