Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

For the Galveston vacation people that own homes there, the locals don't want you to visit there on the 4th. Their message isn't only directed to people driving down for the day.

Sure they can't stop you but they can make the place as unwelcoming as possible. Whats the point of driving down there if nothing is open for you. Might as well stay home in Houston.

It’s funny how people don’t get this. 

i live in Galveston, but I own property in Miami Beach and my family has a place in a hill country tourist town.  Guess what. I haven’t gone to either since this started. I’m an adult who understands self control and community responsibility. 

Edited by Xian
  • Like 5

We need more media in these hospitals.

The carnage of the Vietnam War was beamed into every living room in America and played a huge role in turning public opinion against the war.

The people need to see what’s happening in our hospitals.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

...He won the lottery and died the very next day.

Isn't ironic, don't you think?

(I know, it's not exactly irony, you bastards!)

Given this song, one of the teachers in Ferris bueller, and that other movie whose name is escaping me you’d think at a minimum generation x would have learned the definition of irony by now. 

We haven’t.

Also it was “singles” wasn’t it?  I’m afraid to rewatch that movie to confirm because it probably totally sucks. 

6 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

“There are open hospital beds, so no need to panic.”

Ok, where?

”It’s a secret.”

It doesn't seem to cut & dried. The Texas Med Center is out of base ICU beds but they've communicated that they increased ICU capacity starting over the past few days. They also can work to reduce non COVID 19 cases by limited procedures that might send non-COVID patients to the ICU.  Add this all together and you can tell any story that you want. ICU is full and we're doomed, or ICU is not full and is manageable. 

The real story is that we're still not doing enough to prevent the spread. I live on a residential street that is relatively busy as a street to pass through my neighborhood. Traffic is much higher now than it was in April. Some people have just given up on trying to contain this.

15 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It doesn't seem to cut & dried. The Texas Med Center is out of base ICU beds but they've communicated that they increased ICU capacity starting over the past few days. They also can work to reduce non COVID 19 cases by limited procedures that might send non-COVID patients to the ICU.  Add this all together and you can tell any story that you want. ICU is full and we're doomed, or ICU is not full and is manageable. 

The real story is that we're still not doing enough to prevent the spread. I live on a residential street that is relatively busy as a street to pass through my neighborhood. Traffic is much higher now than it was in April. Some people have just given up on trying to contain this.

Isn’t the last bit the whole point? We’re seeing early signs of hospitals being overran, and the malls and theme parks are still open. There’s no statewide requirement to wear a mask while indoors. Indoor dining is still allowed. Surge capacity may be sufficient in some areas, but the virus is absolutely not under control and exponential growth is already well under way

Just now, Bama Chick said:

We need more media in these hospitals.

The carnage of the Vietnam War was beamed into every living room in America and played a huge role in turning public opinion against the war.

The people need to see what’s happening in our hospitals.

too many media outlets today to have the same impact as vietnam. 

Given this song, one of the teachers in Ferris bueller, and that other movie whose name is escaping me you’d think at a minimum generation x would have learned the definition of irony by now. 

We haven’t.

Also it was “singles” wasn’t it?  I’m afraid to rewatch that movie to confirm because it probably totally sucks. 
Reality Bites bruh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yeah -- I have people that I thought were reasonable in our neighborhood, work and school just say we are gonna have to let it wash over us and come out the other side.  I'm left shaking my head. As I mentioned somewhere on this board, it's the Clayton Williams approach.

Guest Lobo
30 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Dallas over 700 cases in a day for the first time. 

Poor bastard.  $50 says some north Dallas douchebag threatens him in the next 48 hours.  This is not a time for selflessness and reason, we're gonna bring back the economy with Independence Day parties.  Big Hot Dog & Big Fireworks are behind this and I have the paper trail to prove it.  Just don't touch the papers.  Seriously.  They could be infected.

We just have to accept it is going to take a lot of people getting sick and this virus burning through the stupids before we ever go back to normal.  I am so disappointed in Texas and the US.  We’ve handled the pandemic worse than a third world country.  No science, just politics and reactionary stupidity.

At this point I’m resigned to staying home working for the next few months.  We had some positives in the office and even though everyone had been masked I told my employees they could work from home for the foreseeable future.  

• Like 2

FINALLY - Texas declares mandatory mask wearing.  

To0 bad we were so fucking politically motivated rather than science motivated. We could have opened up sadly and not set the economy on the open close roller coaster the GOP preferred.

Sad thing is Governor Abbott knew what the right thing to do was the entire time.  HE simply chose to risk the citizenry to avoid mean tweets.

Edited by horn4life
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

FINALLY - Texas declares mandatory mask wearing.  

To0 bad we were so fucking politically motivated rather than science motivated. We could have opened up sadly and not set the economy on the open close roller coaster the GOP prefrerred.

link?

9 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

link?

https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/governor-abbott-establishes-statewide-face-covering-requirement-issues-proclamation-to-limit-gatherings

Governor Abbott Establishes Statewide Face Covering Requirement, Issues Proclamation To Limit Gatherings

July 2, 2020 | Austin, Texas |  Press Release

Governor Greg Abbott today issued an Executive Order requiring all Texans to wear a face covering over the nose and mouth in public spaces in counties with 20 or more positive COVID-19 cases, with few exceptions. The Governor also issued a proclamation giving mayors and county judges the ability to impose restrictions on some outdoor gatherings of over 10 people, and making it mandatory that, with certain exceptions, people cannot be in groups larger than ten and must maintain six feet of social distancing from others. 

"Wearing a face covering in public is proven to be one of the most effective ways we have to slow the spread of COVID-19,” said Governor Abbott. “We have the ability to keep businesses open and move our economy forward so that Texans can continue to earn a paycheck, but it requires each of us to do our part to protect one another—and that means wearing a face covering in public spaces. Likewise, large gatherings are a clear contributor to the rise in COVID-19 cases. Restricting the size of groups gatherings will strengthen Texas’ ability to corral this virus and keep Texans safe. We all have a responsibility to slow the spread of COVID-19 and keep our communities safe. If Texans commit to wearing face coverings in public spaces and follow the best health and safety practices, we can both slow the spread of COVID-19 and keep Texas open for business. I urge all Texans to wear a face covering in public, not just for their own health, but for the health of their families, friends, and for all our fellow Texans.”

Additionally, the Governor released a new video message to coincide with his Executive Order, encouraging Texans to do their part to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 and keep their communities safe. The video can be downloaded at this linkand can also be viewed on YouTube.

View the Governor's Executive Order.

View the Governor's Proclamation.

Edited by PsychMike
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Yeah -- I have people that I thought were reasonable in our neighborhood, work and school just say we are gonna have to let it wash over us and come out the other side.  I'm left shaking my head. As I mentioned somewhere on this board, it's the Clayton Williams approach.

I think that's the fall back position of the apologists and local radio idiots. 

• It's not that bad.
  • Young people are hardly affected. 
  • Little kids rarely get it.
  • Dr. Fauci is an idiot and always wrong.

Mark and Melynda, the insufferable running dogs on KLBJ made every point above on the radio yesterday when I was driving to a doctor appointment (not Covid). They laughed and laughed about how ol' Dan Patrick really let dumb, wrong ol' Dr. Fauci. The bemused condescending laugh is the primary curtain they use to mask their vapidity.

And the cult laps it up like a dog eats vomit.

• Like 1

At this point, I’m unsure if he can run for re-election. Wounded animal and shit
I've only seen one poll, the recent FOX poll, but his approval was still north of 60 percent. 2022 is a long time from now. I don't expect this to stick when Democrats hold the federal government.

BLM was burning our cities, threatening our women, kneeling during the anthem to insult our soldiers (who have enough to worry about from Taliban bounty hunters), and they spread the Chinese, Wuhan, Kung-flu.

They're covered with their base. If not for BLM, everything would have gone according to plan.

Don't believe your lying eyes.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, gmr548 said:
19 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:
At this point, I’m unsure if he can run for re-election. Wounded animal and shit

I've only seen one poll, the recent FOX poll, but his approval was still north of 60 percent. 2022 is a long time from now. I don't expect this to stick when Democrats hold the federal government.

DMN had him about 56% in June.  KXAN had him at about 54% in May.

https://www.kxan.com/news/your-local-election-hq/exclusive-poll-amid-covid-19-gov-abbotts-approval-rating-is-higher-than-pres-trumps-in-texas/

I'm going to wager he's under 50% if you took it this weekend....

6 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

DMN had him about 56% in June.  KXAN had him at about 54% in May.

https://www.kxan.com/news/your-local-election-hq/exclusive-poll-amid-covid-19-gov-abbotts-approval-rating-is-higher-than-pres-trumps-in-texas/

I'm going to wager he's under 50% if you took it this weekend....

He’s definitely lowered his standing lately.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

What a fucking idiot. All of us non idiots on here, most with zero training or relative experience in medical or government fields, easily saw this coming from a mile away and clamored for mask laws back in April. He should be rolled off the tallest building in Texas 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aqua Buddha said:

He’s definitely lowered his standing lately.

It'll undoubtedly recover but to what level?  How much of this and the rest of the year will stick, encourage some constituents/voters to swear him off or to really want to change?  He's not unbeatable and he's getting a lesson in humility right now by Mother Nature.

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

gov abbott's twitter post about masks is getting ratio'd by....[rechecks ratio].....angry republican supporters. 

what a world.

I believe that's called reaping the whirlwind.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

It'll undoubtedly recover but to what level?  How much of this and the rest of the year will stick, encourage some constituents/voters to swear him off or to really want to change?  He's not unbeatable and he's getting a lesson in humility right now by Mother Nature.

You would have thought his first lesson from mother nature should have humbled his corrupt ass. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1