Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

2 hours ago, Okie State said:
2 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

It’s like reading the DT COVID thread.

Ha, it's all relative I guess. This board is very left leaning whether it be CR or DT. I stopped reading the OSU board because of how much of a Trumpkin echo chamber it was, but even they are mostly taking this seriously. These full blown anti-mask mouth breathers are on a whole different level.

For some of my ppl it seems to be some libertarian hill they won't leave 

For some of my ppl it seems to be some libertarian hill they won't leave 
That's true. My brother is a pretty radical Libertarian so I know what you mean. They just lose me on things like this. It's a completely illogical stance and honestly a bizarre hill to die on.

4 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Yep. Thank you. That was it. Does it still hold up? It was never great but I’m afraid it was worse than I thought.

I tried to show Reality Bites to my daughter a few years back and turned it off an apologized less than an hour in.  Singles fucking kills though... Pearl Jam cameos, the X-man.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Covri said:

i agree with them, i also want to be able to go out and see people and live life... AND WEARING A FUCKING FACE COVERING WILL ALLOW ME TO DO THAT WITHOUT DYING.

gah.

i mean, yes i know that is an exaggeration, i'm not guaranteed to die or even get covid19 if i go out without a mask and vice versa...but come on, the difference in risk on a numerical scale is irrefutable. idiots.

Edited by mchookem
idiots!
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

Livestream of Texas GOP debating whether to move to virtual convention. Fucking hilarious

Omfg. Everyone needs to set aside at least a few minutes of their life and watch the first 5 minutes. 

these are the people running the Republican Party and thus our state?

I am now actually shocked we are doing as well are we are.  These are the types of idiots I had imagine running Mississippi.   

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Covri said:

If Jonathan Swift were alive today and he knew what dumbass east Texas rednecks were and he wanted to write a biting satire about them, he could do no better than this.

I wish these people weren't real.  And I wish there weren't so god damned many of them.

8 minutes ago, Xian said:

Omfg. Everyone needs to set aside at least a few minutes of their life and watch the first 5 minutes. 

I am now actually shocked we are doing as well are we are.  These are the types of idiots I had imagine running Mississippi.   

I mean, look at these people. 

30D2EB90-DDBC-4452-AB6F-6E9C30F64D91.png

81848110-40B8-4EDA-82C0-9F6696C83D00.png

CB991951-B063-4AEA-9178-4E8D67B95A4C.png

7 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I like both movies but Singles is the better movie 

CSB alert: my wife lived in the building next door to that apartment complex in Seattle on Capital Hill when the movie was being made. Last time we were in the Pacific NW, we walked over and checked it out after grabbing coffee at Victrola. 

8 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I tried to show Reality Bites to my daughter a few years back and turned it off an apologized less than an hour in.  Singles fucking kills though... Pearl Jam cameos, the X-man.

I identify with Ben Stiller’s character and the parents now

Damn. This was a good watch with my morning coffee.

10 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Probably not

https://faq.sll.texas.gov/questions/42558

Can I carry a weapon while wearing a mask? 

20453 views   |   Is this useful? 69    |   Last updated on Jul 01, 2020    Guns COVID-19 Masks

Many people who have contacted our library with this question are under the impression that it is illegal to carry a handgun while wearing a mask in Texas. However, our librarians have not been able to locate any state laws that explicitly prohibit the wearing of a mask while lawfully carrying a firearm.

In fact, we have not been able to locate any state laws currently in effect that address the wearing of masks in general. Texas previously had anti-mask laws, but these were repealed in 1974 and are not currently in effect.

There also seems to be a misconception regarding who can legally carry a handgun without a License to Carry (LTC) because the governor has issued executive orders related to the COVID-19 public health emergency. There is a state law that addresses carrying a handgun without a license when a state of disaster has been declared, but it is very narrow in scope. Read more about that law.

For more information about the carry of firearms generally, please see our Gun Laws guide. For more information about firearms during the COVID-19 pandemic, please see our Disasters and Emergencies guide.

I caught about 10 minutes live of that GOP meeting last night. The 60 people on that committee really take themselves too seriously. They believe that coming together to build the Texas GOP priorities matter to the party and the candidates.

to me it sounds like it’s an opportunity for them to get selfies with their political heroes and decide who goes to the national convention and is named to the electoral college if their side wins. The last two are actual roles but really just ceremonial. Well at least the electoral college SHOULD be ceremonial and not a real vote.

i guess you have to find true believers to demonstrate excitement at the conventions.

13 hours ago, lemonlime said:

From the first two pages on this thread:

“at this point I think we’ll have a relatively normal summer. Fingers crossed.” 

My prediction here was wrong and I’ve already admitted that here, but notice I never spoke in absolutes with this, and I never will. Anyone who does is not being honest or is overestimating their competence in this situation. This is unchartered territory. And I wasn’t going off GR’s independent lab or anything. There were plenty of people who believed we would have nice lull in summer. 

As far as the other comments cited, the first wave wasn’t very exciting here and I stand by that. This was always going to be a balance between opening economy and controlling virus.  I said if conditions dictated we could roll things back if needed. If it were up to me I would’ve mandated masks way sooner and I’ve said that for a while. 

It is still highly unlikely that Houston or DFW hit NYC levels of outbreak.  

Make sure and bookmark this post.  

• Fuck You 1

11 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

Livestream of Texas GOP debating whether to move to virtual convention. Fucking hilarious

Someone says, I did the math and death rates are 1.5% which is a very low rate. In comparison to what? Flu is 0.1%.

1 minute ago, GRHorn said:

I believe it depends on what you mean by NYC outbreak. Texas doesn’t seem to be getting anywhere near the NY fatality rate so I think we’re better off in that regards. Maybe it’s luck, docs are more knowledgeable now, people faster to take action, word of a new strain that is less deadly or who knows the reason.

But I think Houston will surpass NYC in terms of confirmed cases per thousand people. We have more testing capacity now and people are lined up daily.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I believe it depends on what you mean by NYC outbreak. Texas doesn’t seem to be getting anywhere near the NY fatality rate so I think we’re better off in that regards. Maybe it’s luck, docs are more knowledgeable now, people faster to take action, word of a new strain that is less deadly or who knows the reason.

But I think Houston will surpass NYC in terms of confirmed cases per thousand people. We have more testing capacity now and people are lined up daily.

That’s fair. I think I saw somewhere that nyc test positivity rate was like 60% at one point. A lot of people who wanted one probably didn’t get them there. 

Kids getting up and moving around now, but I’ll take a look at hospitalization rates later. I suspect we won’t get close to nyc levels there either. 

Edited by GRHorn
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, GRHorn said:

That’s fair. I think I saw somewhere that nyc test positivity rate was like 60% at one point. A lot of people who wanted one probably didn’t get them there. 

Interesting claim to make without any supporting evidence. Sort of like your past claims at the beginning of this thread that didn't pan out. 

Unless I'm missing something, and covid disappeared like a miracle

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Kids getting up and moving around now, but I’ll take a look at hospitalization rates later. I suspect we won’t get close to nyc levels there either. 

Don't look to hard for hospital capacity numbers.  (hint, you won't find them, at least at the state level)

10 hours ago, Xian said:

Pretty sure that's a SNL skit.  Robert Casias seems about as technologically savvy as my 90-yo father.

48 minutes ago, Born to Run said:
11 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:
I like both movies but Singles is the better movie 

Agreed. And sadly Reality Bites really captures Gen X. Jaded, pensive, intellectual but unambitious.

No. Grosse Pointe Blank is the ultimate Gen X movie. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

“at this point I think we’ll have a relatively normal summer. Fingers crossed.” 

My prediction here was wrong and I’ve already admitted that here, but notice I never spoke in absolutes with this, and I never will. Anyone who does is not being honest or is overestimating their competence in this situation. This is unchartered territory. And I wasn’t going off GR’s independent lab or anything. There were plenty of people who believed we would have nice lull in summer. 

As far as the other comments cited, the first wave wasn’t very exciting here and I stand by that. This was always going to be a balance between opening economy and controlling virus.  I said if conditions dictated we could roll things back if needed. If it were up to me I would’ve mandated masks way sooner and I’ve said that for a while. 

Lol. I only pretended to make fun of people dying.  Lol. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Okie State said:
14 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Ha, it's all relative I guess. This board is very left leaning whether it be CR or DT. I stopped reading the OSU board because of how much of a Trumpkin echo chamber it was, but even they are mostly taking this seriously. These full blown anti-mask mouth breathers are on a whole different level.

You should try sec rant political - yeah, wow.

15 hours ago, Okie State said:
15 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

This board is very left leaning.... For a college football message board for a southern university. It's an important qualifier. This board is center-right, it just isn't fucking texags or tigerdroppings or whatever.

I'd be curious to go check out a Cal board or something but I'm not sure such a thing exists.

Edited by gmr548
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

This board is very left leaning.... For a college football message board for a southern university. It's an important qualifier. This board is center-right, it just isn't fucking texags or tigerdroppings or whatever.

I'd be curious to go check out a Cal board or something but I'm not sure such a thing exists.

Haha. There is no such thing as a California college football message board and if one does exist, it’s just a bunch of fake troll accounts and spammers. 

Trust me. I lived there for 3 years. The last thing anyone cares about out there is college football. 

3 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

Someone says, I did the math and death rates are 1.5% which is a very low rate. In comparison to what? Flu is 0.1%.

Yeah when I’m thinking about avoiding death, part of that thinking is that I will avoid situations where 1 and a half of every 100 people in that situation die. I already caught the gay and the left handedness so I’m good at being on the wrong side of the odds. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JimmyJames said:

Haha. There is no such thing as a California college football message board and if one does exist, it’s just a bunch of fake troll accounts and spammers. 

Trust me. I lived there for 3 years. The last thing anyone cares about out there is college football. 

That's kind of what I figured. SC probably has one but they're probably on the conservative end of the CA schools (also a relative statement I'm sure). I want to see an institution that really is the polar opposite of bama, aggy, etc.

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

That's kind of what I figured. SC probably has one but they're probably on the conservative end of the CA schools (also a relative statement I'm sure). I want to see an institution that really is the polar opposite of bama, aggy, etc.

USC is the only school that could support one but even there, while they may care about the team, don’t care enough to constantly post on a USC message board. It’s probably a sample size of about 30 people.