Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

Ferris gets my vote, but I’m biased.  Me and a couple of friend’s re-enacted that day to the best of our abilities as seniors in high school.  That included “borrowing”  a 911 and a ZR-1 from a dad who  was out of town all week and whose wife was drunk by noon so she didn’t notice.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

There is no defining generation x movie, as you say, and there never will be. 

There is a defining line between generation x though and a millennial. And it’s this. 

If you get arrested and you’re a millennial, the first person you would call is your parents. If you’re generation x, however, the last person you would call is your parents. 

That’s pretty deep.

15 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Ferris Bueller?  Back to the Future? War Games?  

High school kids doing crazy insane shit because their parents were huge stiffs at work all day is gen X AF. 

Again those are all written by Boomers trying to define Gen X, there's a reason the film of the 80's were largely rejected by the 90's filmmakers and they looked more to the 70's for inspiration in style and theme.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Question about the gov's order: Does public include when I'm outside? Like if I'm waking my dog and it's 100 degrees outside and no one is around, am i supposed to wearing a mask? I wear one whenever people are around, inside or out. But not if nobody else is around. That still OK?

Others have pretty much covered it, but I think the language in the order stipulated if you can maintain 6 feet distance from others outdoors, then you're cool without a mask. That seems like a pretty good rule of thumb.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Again those are all written by Boomers trying to define Gen X, there's a reason the film of the 80's were largely rejected by the 90's filmmakers and they looked more to the 70's for inspiration in style and theme.

Yep. And it’s what made the 90s the greatest decade in filmmaking. 

• Like 1

Namealreadyinuse-----------A gay left-handed dude?  Man, you are so prolific        You prove my point, there are not gay or straight people and no right-handed or left-handed people (except those with only one arm---god bless 'em), we're all just on a spectrum.  I'm about 15% gay.  And I'm pretty close to ambidextrous, probably 60/40 right handed.
It's cool though that you have that one thing that can one-up everybody at a gay bar, "Oh yeah, well I'm left-handed as well!"  Then the some random in the corner spouts off with, "Oh yeah, well I have AB- blood."  And then we all have to yell, "Shut up Bruce, nobody cares!"  
I do not understand this in-person convention idea.  They've already proven their point to their constituents.  Much to Rex Kramer's dismay, I was personally invited by the two state-wide elected officials to attend.  I respectfully declined because you know.....I'm pro-LIFE!   Not the abortion debate label thing, I just enjoy being alive for my two young daughters.  
And whoever things this board is too left-leaning...you're out of your mind.  This is very much a Center-Right board overall/macro level.  What happened was you had a group of people educated at good schools who are successful in most metrics of life pause for a minute and turn on their thinking caps and now it sounds like we're whack-job leftists (and we do have those), but in reality we are just pragmatic realists.  I promise you, absolutely 100% PROMISE you, that I outrank you in the Republican Party.  I was asked by the RPT and TRCP and the candidate leaving her city council spot to run in her place for Council (2018) and then four years after that, get their full support to run for Mayor of Austin (2022).  Obviously, I declined and I instead endorsed a great replacement in Paige.  I have access to Cruz, Abbott, Williams, et. al. within 24 hours of a request for an in-person meeting.  I have done deals for the Bush family for a decade and my cousin gave the Eulogy at Nancy Reagan's funeral.  But you lump me in as some far-left fanatic because I pay attention to shit like facts and truth.  Rex Kramer would be happy to know...I am a longstanding and powerful Republican.  And President Trump needs to die yesterday.  Sorry the world hasn't adapted to your stupidity.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

There is a defining line between generation x though and a millennial. And it’s this. 

If you get arrested and you’re a millennial, the first person you would call is your parents. If you’re generation x, however, the last person you would call is your parents. 

Theres no defining generation X move because the defining traits of the generation are lack of ambition and a lack of direction because there was no defining cultural touchstone. They were overshadowed by the generation that preceded them and the one that followed

• Like 1

Clerks 

Slacker

All of y’all are wrong.

It’s Edward Penishands.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Michael Knight said:

Theres no defining generation X move because the defining traits of the generation are lack of ambition and a lack of direction because there was no defining cultural touchstone. They were overshadowed by the generation that preceded them and the one that followed

All true. However I would argue that the generation still was defined anyways by one phrase based on self determination:

I Will.

8 hours ago, LTbear said:

BearInsider forums. Pretty decently active. 

I checked this out. The website itself appears to have COVID.

They... Well, yeah, they don't like Trump and it is probably more liberal than this board.

I did get a laugh out of their apolitical COVID thread being described as a "safe space" in the OP given what our no politics thread has become.

17 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I checked this out. The website itself appears to have COVID.

They... Well, yeah, they don't like Trump and it is probably more liberal than this board.

I did get a laugh out of their apolitical COVID thread being described as a "safe space" in the OP given what our no politics thread has become.

Oh ya, it's very left. I hardly ever post over there. But it does exist.

7 minutes ago, mchookem said:

the thing about TBC is that those archetypes are present in every generation. it's a timeless classic!

That's the last time, Bender.  That's
               the last time you ever make me look
               bad in front of those kids, do you
               hear me?  I make $31,000 dollars a
               year and I have a home and I'm not
               about to throw it away on some punk
               like you...But someday, man, someday.
               When you're outta here and you've
               forgotten all about this place...
               And they've forgotten all about you
               and you're wrapped up in your own
               pathetic life...I'm gonna be there.
               That's right.  And I'm gonna kick
               the living shit out of you, man, I'm
               gonna knock your dick in the dirt!

BENDER
               Are you threatening me?

VERNON
               What're you gonna do about it?  You
               think anybody's gonna believe you?
               You think anybody's gonna take your
               word over mine?  I'm a man of
               respect around here.  They love me
               around here, I'm a swell guy...you're
               a lying sack of shit!  And everybody
               knows it.  Oh, you're a real tough
               guy...come on, come on...get on your
               feet, pal!  Let's find out how
               tough you are!  I wanna know right
               now, how tough you are!  Come on!
               I'll give you the first punch, let's
               go!  Come on, right here, just take
               the first shot!  Please, I'm begging
               you, take a shot!  Come on, just
               take one shot, that's all I need,
               just one swing...

Bender just sits there staring at Vernon.  Vernon fakes
     a punch and Bender flinches.

VERNON
               That's what I though...you're a
               gutless turd!

16 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

That's the last time, Bender.  That's
               the last time you ever make me look
               bad in front of those kids, do you
               hear me?  I make $31,000 dollars a
               year and I have a home and I'm not
               about to throw it away on some punk
               like you...But someday, man, someday.
               When you're outta here and you've
               forgotten all about this place...
               And they've forgotten all about you
               and you're wrapped up in your own
               pathetic life...I'm gonna be there.
               That's right.  And I'm gonna kick
               the living shit out of you, man, I'm
               gonna knock your dick in the dirt!

BENDER
               Are you threatening me?

VERNON
               What're you gonna do about it?  You
               think anybody's gonna believe you?
               You think anybody's gonna take your
               word over mine?  I'm a man of
               respect around here.  They love me
               around here, I'm a swell guy...you're
               a lying sack of shit!  And everybody
               knows it.  Oh, you're a real tough
               guy...come on, come on...get on your
               feet, pal!  Let's find out how
               tough you are!  I wanna know right
               now, how tough you are!  Come on!
               I'll give you the first punch, let's
               go!  Come on, right here, just take
               the first shot!  Please, I'm begging
               you, take a shot!  Come on, just
               take one shot, that's all I need,
               just one swing...

Bender just sits there staring at Vernon.  Vernon fakes
     a punch and Bender flinches.

VERNON
               That's what I though...you're a
               gutless turd!

Now Imagine a millennial or generation Z saying all that. 

13 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

There is no definitive Gen X movie. Probably the same reasons they couldn’t come up with a better name than Gen X. It’s a nameless generation of latchkey kids. People born in late 60s probably identify more with Breakfast Club, and people in 70s probably identify more with Reality Bites or Singles, while lates 70s, first couple years identify with Mallrats or Clerks. 

Can't hardly wait for us late 70s babies i reckon. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

I'm a millennial and this is perfect.

Guest Lobo

Sixteen Candles is criminally underrated.  There's so many great, subtle jokes in there.  

Imagine today making a movie where every time the Japanese guy appeared in a scene, an off-camera gong bell went off?  

The dinner scene with the Rizchecks has nothing to do with the teen-coming-of-age film, but I fucking cry laughing every time.  

I caught most of "Can't Buy Me Love" the other night on some cable channel.  It actually did have more heart than I remember, but the humor did not age as well.  

33 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Sixteen Candles is criminally underrated.  There's so many great, subtle jokes in there.  

Imagine today making a movie where every time the Japanese guy appeared in a scene, an off-camera gong bell went off?  

The dinner scene with the Rizchecks has nothing to do with the teen-coming-of-age film, but I fucking cry laughing every time.  

I caught most of "Can't Buy Me Love" the other night on some cable channel.  It actually did have more heart than I remember, but the humor did not age as well.  

The Rizchecks dinner scene is comedy gold.

I dabble a little bit, in personal loans and politics.

Very nice. 

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Can't Hardly Wait came out in 1998.  I'd say that's a tad late for Gen X.

Depending on the definition, gen x ends with births in the late 70s or as late as 1980.  But regardless there’s never a hard line with generations. 1998 isn’t out of a range for a  gen x high school grad but agree it’s straddling the line with millennials.

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Of course there's not a hard line. Mostly because the entire generational labels conversation is dumb and at least 80% bullshit. 

Nope. 20 percent bullshit. 

We are all influenced by the times when we were young. Just think about how the current times will influence the young kids right now. It will no doubt have a major effect going forward. We didn’t have to put up with this type of crap when we were young, thank God. In hindsight what we dealt with seems pretty trivial. 

Time marches on. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Ferris gets my vote, but I’m biased.  Me and a couple of friend’s re-enacted that day to the best of our abilities as seniors in high school.  That included “borrowing”  a 911 and a ZR-1 from a dad who  was out of town all week and whose wife was drunk by noon so she didn’t notice.

Pics of lush wife?

2 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Nope. 20 percent bullshit. 

We are all influenced by the times when we were young. Just think about how the current times will influence the young kids right now. It will no doubt have a major effect going forward. We didn’t have to put up with this type of crap when we were young, thank God. In hindsight what we dealt with seems pretty trivial. 

Time marches on. 

In the immortal words of Tracy Lawrence, time does indeed march on. (Underrated song -- fite me IRL.)

• Like 1

well we ain't gen x, bro. too early for millenials. oregon trail generation ftw
Oregon trail was the defining aspect of computer lab for me. 99 boxes of bullets, a shit ton of oxen and a doctor as my occupation. Pay the money for the ferry to float the wagon across every time it was presented as an option. Cholera couldn't derail my wagon but the Sioux couldn't wait to find me with 0 axles and 4000 lbs of rotted bison meat. That strategy got me past chimney rock every time. Probably made it to the Willamette Valley once. Im an early millennial, if that means anything. Boomers would also go with 99 boxes of bullets, but rather than oxen or a valuable profession, they probably brought 1,000 boxes of bootstraps.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, hookem2010 said:
4 hours ago, hayden_horn said:
well we ain't gen x, bro. too early for millenials. oregon trail generation ftw

Oregon trail was the defining aspect of computer lab for me. 99 boxes of bullets, a shit ton of oxen and a doctor as my occupation. Pay the money for the ferry to float the wagon across every time it was presented as an option. Cholera couldn't derail my wagon but the Sioux couldn't wait to find me with 0 axles and 4000 lbs of rotted bison meat. That strategy got me past chimney rock every time. Probably made it to the Willamette Valley once. Im an early millennial, if that means anything. Boomers would also go with 99 boxes of bullets, but rather than oxen or a valuable profession, they probably brought 1,000 boxes of bootstraps.

The school I went to was physically on the trail route, nothing better than playing Oregon Trail and passing where you were sitting.

• Like 1