Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

40 minutes ago, Xian said:

There is a “beach lives matter” protest going on in Galveston and bolivar....

why are so many of my fellow Texans dumbasses?

It’s really hard to be white middle class with a one story house when all your other friends are buying boats, renting, and eating takeout every day.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Xian said:

There is a “beach lives matter” protest going on in Galveston and bolivar....

why are so many of my fellow Texans dumbasses?

I hope at least they're getting the full protest treatment with rubber bullets and tear gas.

Who am I kidding, of course nothing is going to happen to them.

Heading to Bolivar in 2weeks.  I can't decide if I want to go or not.

We've got a house 100yrds from the water and we usually go down in the early AM with our kids.  If it's crowded we won't go. Then hang out in the house the rest of the day.

I think we'll be ok. but I wouldn't be surprised if Abbott shuts the beaches down.

3 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Heading to Bolivar in 2weeks.  I can't decide if I want to go or not.

We've got a house 100yrds from the water and we usually go down in the early AM with our kids.  If it's crowded we won't go. Then hang out in the house the rest of the day.

I think we'll be ok. but I wouldn't be surprised if Abbott shuts the beaches down.

Beaches are not risky per se. It's the bars and restaurants near the beach you want to avoid. If you can't find some free sand anywhere on the peninsula, I don't know what to tell you. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Nope. 20 percent bullshit. 

We are all influenced by the times when we were young. Just think about how the current times will influence the young kids right now. It will no doubt have a major effect going forward. We didn’t have to put up with this type of crap when we were young, thank God. In hindsight what we dealt with seems pretty trivial. 

Time marches on. 

You think shit's bad now?  Fast forward twenty years ahead when the country's leaders were home schooled by a bunch of daytime drunks.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, CooterBrown said:

Slacker.

Linklater is a late boomer (1960), and Slacker, shot in 1989, feels a bit closer to the last days of the boomers than Gen X.  At least in the opinion of this late boomer who finished up in Austin in 1987.  

Same goes for High Fidelity and the source material from Nick Hornby. 

7 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

We are all influenced by the times when we were young.

Which means absolutely zero if we don't take any action that actually means anything. 

I have been influenced by lots of things but I do jack shit to influence others or more importantly, to effect change in any way, shape or form.  Therefore, the influence is just little buzzy things going on in my head.

1 minute ago, tantric superman said:

Which means absolutely zero if we don't take any action that actually means anything. 

I have been influenced by lots of things but I do jack shit to influence others or more importantly, to effect change in any way, shape or form.  Therefore, the influence is just little buzzy things going on in my head.

You are absolutely correct. While we are influenced by the times when we were young ultimately the choice is ours.95 percent of life is showing up.You either show up or you dont. Which is why the current situation is so fucked up. 

I was born in 1980 and definitely Gen X. I think the line is probably somewhere around 81 or 82. If you had a cell phone in high school, you’re a millennial
Yeah you're right on the line. X is generally considered 65-80, mellenials 81-95 or so.

The pace of technological advancement is making generational cohorts of 15-20 years pretty silly. A "gen x" born in 79 and a "mellenial" born in 81 grew up in the same world. They have way more common ground than that xer has with their gen x counterpart born 65 or than that mellenial has with me, born 92. So the comparisons make for good shitposting but that's about the extent of usefulness for generalizing 15 years of births.

Gen z's sort of stand out because they are the first group that barely or just straight does not remember a world without broadband, smartphones, etc. When I was teaching out of college circa 2015 I was pretty surprised how much different high school was for 9th graders compared to when I was in 9th grade on 2006, pre iphone. Still, a gen z born in 1998 or something has much more in common with me than they do with a their 9-10 year old gen z counterpart. So the sentiment remains.

37 minutes ago, elfenix said:

As someone who has pissed on the door handles of cars that blocked me in, if I were refused a test at Memorial Hermann I would spit on every driver's side door handle in the parking lot.

Just got back from the Round Rock BS+W drive through COVID test (pre-surgery test/screen for my wife). Got there a little after 7 and we were 10th in line, by 7:30 the line was already starting to snake around and was beginning to fill the parking lot. If you end up needing a test, definitely plan on getting your ass there early.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ultimaton said:

Just got back from the Round Rock BS+W drive through COVID test (pre-surgery test/screen for my wife). Got there a little after 7 and we were 10th in line, by 7:30 the line was already starting to snake around and was beginning to fill the parking lot. If you end up needing a test, definitely plan on getting your ass there early.

qcN3XXDj_o.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, ultimaton said:

What did they say on how long to get the results? I went there on Tues and was told 2-3 days and that didnt happen.

24 minutes ago, RexWilson said:

What did they say on how long to get the results? I went there on Tues and was told 2-3 days and that didnt happen.

They told us 24-48 hours. She had a friend that ended up waiting for almost two weeks for results, but from what I've seen and from talking to some other people that've been tested, that seems to have been an anomaly, but who knows at this point. 

Edited by ultimaton

1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

BREAKING: A grim milestone, Texas has reached 200,000 coronavirus cases, 17 days after reaching 100,000, a number that took four months to hit.

It's just because we're testing.  Stop being so hyperbolic.

Damn, hospitalizations not good today. 69 (2nd highest ever) and Monday is typically a lower admits day. After yesterday actually brought our rolling average down (by 0.1) I was hoping maybe to see some flattening. 

Rolling average ticks up by three, which is bad. We're getting close to stage 5 that COA put out that basically means overrun hospitals and a recommendation that everything shut down except essentials.

atxtrend.jpg

We're at 64 right now. 

I do know that Seton has some hospitals in Central Texas that have no Covid cases in their ICUs (they're shipping to to Dell Seton mostly), so there's some room at those. But those are smaller hospitals with fewer beds and less space for Covid patients. If they start having to keep their Covid patients it's only a very short matter of time before we're out of room in CenTex. Can't speak to St. David's or BS&W

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bookman said:

Didn't the experts say this would go away when it got warm outside?

Model didn’t account for “personal responsibility” replacing mandates and the stupidity of the people asked to be responsible 

• Like 3