Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

So a few of my immortal friends who said it was just the flu have come down with covid and realized that it isn't a game. I've been within a link or two of these people and am beginning to think i've definitely been exposed.

State should shut down again. Real talk.

2 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Totally insane.

Was 1000/day most of last week.  Went up 10% Saturday and 20% today.

The most gross "violation" I see of good practices, that ended late last week, was parks full of youth sport team practices and games.  Pretty good sized crowds of kids and parents.

29 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Totally insane.

Was 1000/day most of last week.  Went up 10% Saturday and 20% today.

The most gross "violation" I see of good practices, that ended late last week, was parks full of youth sport team practices and games.  Pretty good sized crowds of kids and parents.

Yep went to visit my mom this weekend and Friday the youth baseball fields were playing games. Most people weren't on top of each other but no one was wearing a mask 

• Like 1

That's gonna be a no from me, dawg.

Abbott needs to be bopped in the head, but resign and make Danny Goeb governor? Come on, man. I don't know of anyone that wants that to happen. Danny as our public face would be a shit show of comical proportions, at least Abbott talks smart.

8 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

Abbott needs to be bopped in the head, but resign and make Danny Goeb governor? Come on, man. I don't know of anyone that wants that to happen. Danny as our public face would be a shit show of comical proportions, at least Abbott talks smart.

Maybe Beto is eyeing a run at governor in 2022

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

The infuriating thing is, I'm pretty certain Abbott is smart.  He doesn't believe this shit he spews, he just does it for the political effect.

It's disgusting.  Really craven.  Arguably worse than Trump, because Trump has the excuse of being an abject moron.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

The infuriating thing is, I'm pretty certain Abbott is smart.  He doesn't believe this shit he spews, he just does it for the political effect.

It's disgusting.  Really craven.  Arguably worse than Trump, because Trump has the excuse of being an abject moron.

Yeah, y'all are all starting to see what I was feeling with W when he decided to propose the constitutional amendment to ban marriage equality in the midst of his Iraq war.  I knew he didn't give a shit about it, it was just a political play.  Sometimes that made me think better of him, but usually that made me think worse of him, because I like my leaders to have principles.  I'd rather my leaders have principles I didn't agree with vs. no principles at all.  I think fundamentally that's what makes the Republican party so repellent to me today.  They have fundamentally forgotten what it's like to stand on principle, for them it's all about political theater.  That's sad, and it's also antithetical to the proper running of society.  It will eventually lead to war, because they will eventually go too far.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

I think the whole taking guns away thing probably fucks him in Texas.  

Yeah.

He went too hard in da paint to become President to ever win a statewide election in Texas in the near future.

He angling for one of those cushy cabinet position in Joe's administration.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Plant more trees. 

Preserve the trees we already have. 

• Like 1

This. I fucking cannot stand Abbott. Never have been able to for this very reason.

Just now, gmr548 said:
1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

This. I fucking cannot stand Abbott. Never have been able to for this very reason.

That's okay. He can't stand himself, either. 

• Like 4

Yesterday morning, the news ticker on my phone said Abbot had lifted the face mask order on our county due to us having only 19, not 20, cases.     

County says 'hold muh beer' and order goes back into effect when the case count jumps to 34 by mid afternoon.  

And people wonder why the youth move out of these backwater counties as soon as they can.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

Yesterday morning, the news ticker on my phone said Abbot had lifted the face mask order on our county due to us having only 19, not 20, cases.     

County says 'hold muh beer' and order goes back into effect when the case count jumps to 34 by mid afternoon.  

And people wonder why the youth move out of these backwater counties as soon as they can.

Still the most insane thing to me about all of this is that when presented with a decision to protect people and save lives or not inconvenience people, the default stance is "don't inconvenience people until it's absolutely insane". Especially when inconveniencing people means wearing a people of cloth on your face. The burden of proof is all on the "protect lives" side when the two consequences, death vs. fabric on your stupid face, are so drastically unequal.

How many fabric-on-face hours are worth one human life? It has to be damn near infinite.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

he would definitely need to refine his position to be Gov. 

Dallas Morning News did some polling on gun issues, background checks, red flag laws, and mandatory buyback in January. Results aren’t as heavy against as we tend to think. Would love to see more polling, and more coverage.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/2020/02/03/texans-overwhelmingly-want-gun-background-checks-are-open-to-red-flag-laws-dmn-ut-tyler-poll-finds/

• Like 2

TxSt sent out an email detailing ADA workplace modification requests related to COVID-19.  I didn't think much about it until I saw "Cerebrovascular disease," googled that, and realized that I probably qualify.  If my doctor won't sign the form tomorrow, which one of you surlyquacks will do it for me?

• Like 1

You know, I sometimes don't think much about my employer, with it's yankee owners, but they have been Amazing through all this.
We were sent home about spring break in March and while I can go into the office to do stuff, they have never once asked me to or required me to. I can work from my house and they have no problems. My boss initiated daily calls with his staff, which I think sometimes are a bit much and tedious, but I am quite happy that I have not had to leave my house and drive to the cesspool that is currently Hays County.  And they've said that they are taking their sweet time in bringing us back, they are in no hurry, and I think my boss and his boss might let us telecommute 80% of the time for the rest of our lives.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Damn, hospitalizations not good today. 69 (2nd highest ever) and Monday is typically a lower admits day. After yesterday actually brought our rolling average down (by 0.1) I was hoping maybe to see some flattening. 

Rolling average ticks up by three, which is bad. We're getting close to stage 5 that COA put out that basically means overrun hospitals and a recommendation that everything shut down except essentials.

atxtrend.jpg

We're at 64 right now. 

I do know that Seton has some hospitals in Central Texas that have no Covid cases in their ICUs (they're shipping to to Dell Seton mostly), so there's some room at those. But those are smaller hospitals with fewer beds and less space for Covid patients. If they start having to keep their Covid patients it's only a very short matter of time before we're out of room in CenTex. Can't speak to St. David's or BS&W

Well this is uh, not good.

EDIT: something is definitely wrong with this data. Either the 7 day is miscalculated or today's number was high. Or they retroactively changed numbers for this past week. 

austincase.jpg

Edited by BradInATX

They fixed some methodology issues. They weren't counting people that came into the hospital without a positive Covid diagnosis already in hand. So if you just rolled up to the hospital sick but had never tested for Covid, got admitted, then popped positive, you weren't being counted.

http://austintexas.gov/news/adjustments-made-new-hospital-admission-data

• Like 1

Here is an email being sent around clear creek isd teachers  

We learned a little more regarding opening for CCISD today.

Teachers:
If you get COVID you essentially can't use Workers comp because you won't be able to prove where you got the virus.

The district will not be providing any additional sick days to care for yourself or family.  You can apply through the Federal Cares act for an additional 10 days.  The Cares act goes through Dec 2020

If you are exposed to a student with COVID, you will not quarantine.  You will wear a mask and get your temperature checked daily.  You will continue to work

The school environment:
Everyone will wear masks, except while eating.  If you can get your kids to be 6 ft apart then teachers can give permission to take masks off.  There may be areas of the school where people can spread out and take off their masks.

No changes to class sizes.

The day will be 10 minutes longer to allow time for cleaning.  No schedules have been announced
PPE will be provided to teachers in the form of masks and/or shields.  Cleaning supplies will be provided and there will be hand sanitizing stations.

Edit to add (Thank your Xxxx)  Once a class or school has 10% confirmed cases that class or school will go to Learn at Home mode.  There will be times where some schools are down and others are open...some classes are shut down and others are open.  There were very few details given regarding this.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Xian said:

We learned a little more regarding opening for CCISD today.

Teachers:
If you get COVID you essentially can't use Workers comp because you won't be able to prove where you got the virus.

The district will not be providing any additional sick days to care for yourself or family.  You can apply through the Federal Cares act for an additional 10 days.  The Cares act goes through Dec 2020

If you are exposed to a student with COVID, you will not quarantine.  You will wear a mask and get your temperature checked daily.  You will continue to work

The school environment:
Everyone will wear masks, except while eating.  If you can get your kids to be 6 ft apart then teachers can give permission to take masks off.  There may be areas of the school where people can spread out and take off their masks.

No changes to class sizes.

The day will be 10 minutes longer to allow time for cleaning.  No schedules have been announced
PPE will be provided to teachers in the form of masks and/or shields.  Cleaning supplies will be provided and there will be hand sanitizing stations.

Edit to add (Thank your Xxxx)  Once a class or school has 10% confirmed cases that class or school will go to Learn at Home mode.  There will be times where some schools are down and others are open...some classes are shut down and others are open.  There were very few details given regarding this.

jesus christ, that is some scary shit

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Xian said:

Once a class or school has 10% confirmed cases that class or school will go to Learn at Home mode.  There will be times where some schools are down and others are open...some classes are shut down and others are open.  There were very few details given regarding this.

JFC - this is basically a COVID-19 party for teachers. We don't pay teachers enough for this shit.

Edited by Gap03
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Gap03 said:

JFC - this is basically a COVID-19 party for teachers. We don't pay teachers enough for this shit.

It’s not IF a class or school has 10%, it’s ONCE it has 10%.  They’re just assuming it’s gonna happen.

That's pretty damn messed up for the teachers.  I have to think that any Teachers that have the means will tell them to pound sand and not work under those conditions.  This is shaping up to be a clown car smeared in $hit, so, par for the course for this administration.

17 hours ago, relapse98 said:

You know, I sometimes don't think much about my employer, with it's yankee owners, but they have been Amazing through all this.
We were sent home about spring break in March and while I can go into the office to do stuff, they have never once asked me to or required me to. I can work from my house and they have no problems. My boss initiated daily calls with his staff, which I think sometimes are a bit much and tedious, but I am quite happy that I have not had to leave my house and drive to the cesspool that is currently Hays County.  And they've said that they are taking their sweet time in bringing us back, they are in no hurry, and I think my boss and his boss might let us telecommute 80% of the time for the rest of our lives.

Companies are going to figure out, if they haven't already, that productivity does not drop when employees work from home. The next step will be to save money by reducing office space.

• Like 3

I'm a retired teacher and work as a substitute for my fun money. They won't be seeing me in the fall. It's not like I'll need the money for travel or anything, and booze is much cheaper when you drink at home.

Guest Lobo
1 minute ago, Woland said:

I'm a retired teacher and work as a substitute for my fun money. They won't be seeing me in the fall. It's not like I'll need the money for travel or anything, and booze is much cheaper when you drink at home.

I think you were my 5th grade teacher.  She seemed like she once loved the job but was really just mailing it in at that point.  And in hindsight, on Mondays and Fridays, she looked/sounded a lot like my dad did when we were fishing or when he had me on alternate weekends after the divorce.  

This is what I worry about. Our unofficial school sub is an 80+ year-old retiree. The campus loves him. I've known him for 20 years. Dude is tough as shit... I'm talking survive rattlesnake bites tough, but I'm not calling him if I need a sub.

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

I think you were my 5th grade teacher.  She seemed like she once loved the job but was really just mailing it in at that point.  And in hindsight, on Mondays and Fridays, she looked/sounded a lot like my dad did when we were fishing or when he had me on alternate weekends after the divorce.  

I do love being a substitute because I like being around the kids, but $110 a day does not make it worth taking on the added risk of exposure, especially when I don't have to financially.