Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

TxSt sent out an email detailing ADA workplace modification requests related to COVID-19.  I didn't think much about it until I saw "Cerebrovascular disease," googled that, and realized that I probably qualify.  If my doctor won't sign the form tomorrow, which one of you surlyquacks will do it for me?

You know they can’t follow up on it. Just print something on letterhead from Dr Nick and you’re good.

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

But will Abbot and the Texas GOP double down and try to move their “convention” somewhere more anti-science/pro-Covid?

Is there a single big city left in Texas in Republican hands?

move it to beaumont or midland / odessa 

4 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Serious question - what is the point of holding a statewide convention? Does every state do this and why can't it be done virtually? 

Because they are required to pretend that COVID is not a big deal.

Edited by conVINCEd
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Serious question - what is the point of holding a statewide convention? Does every state do this and why can't it be done virtually? 

it's a bunch of glad-handing electing of delegates and formally nominating the candidates and the state platform. basically, it would be a covid pit if they got to run it the way they wanted.

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

basically, it would be a covid pit if they got to run it the way they wanted.

This should be the punishment for Republican voters and politicians once the dotard is gone.  Do you repent?  No?  Into the covid pit with you!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

They hold county convention in-person which then roll up to the statewide convention. I'm sure every state does.

If you want to understand why they want to hold the statewide convention, here is their 3-hour virtual meeting to discuss. The "technical" skills, displayed in the first few minutes, of most of their exec council tells you why virtual would be a failure.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

have you ever heard a little piece of paper call the CONSTITUTION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

Here’s a list of what happens at the convention from their website

https://www.texasgop.org/rpt-conventions/

AFAIK, every state has party conventions. Texas was being counted on as a model for how the national GOP convention could move forward. Now the biggest Republican state looks like fools in front of their colleagues and everyone else (per usual)

Edited by StassneyHorn

3 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

it's a bunch of glad-handing electing of delegates and formally nominating the candidates and the state platform. basically, it would be a covid pit if they got to run it the way they wanted.

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

They hold county convention in-person which then roll up to the statewide convention. I'm sure every state does.

If you want to understand why they want to hold the statewide convention, here is their 3-hour virtual meeting to discuss. The "technical" skills, displayed in the first few minutes, of most of their exec council tells you why virtual would be a failure.

Sounds like a colossal waste of time and resources. Like a large white trash circle jerk.

7 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

So Sylvester Turner just cancelled the Republican state convention...less than 24 hours after Wheels and his idiot cabal announced that it would still happen, but they would be speaking online.  

Those stupid assholes can't predict where the sun's going to come up tomorrow, can they?

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07/08/houston-cancel-republican-convention

They are still scared of daddy Trump

Given what Turner did with the state GOP, it made me search who is the Jacksonville, Fla. mayor and could he potentially make the same move against the national gop. Nope. He’s the former Florida gop chairman. His citizens will be allowed to die.

He’s also in quarantine waiting on his coronavirus test results because of exposure at some local GOP function lol.

So I know someone who is here illegally.  His middle school daughter (us citizen) has Covid. Now he and his work crew are too scared to get tested because they think trump will deport them for using medical benefits.  

to make things worse, as far as I know they are continuing to work and possibly spreading it. 

the entire situation is just so fucking shitty. 

• Like 2

Some Texas county numbers from yesterday with a few countries tossed in for comparison:

Dallas Co: 1,029
  Bexar Co: 845
  Travis Co: 753
  Harris Co: 701
  France: 663
  Tarrant Co: 595
  Nueces Co: 445
  Germany: 410
  El Paso Co: 393
  Spain: 383
  Hidalgo Co: 335
  Canada: 267
  Galveston Co: 254
  McLennan Co: 246
  Italy: 193
  Japan: 193
  Australia: 131

Texas, our Texas ... cough cough cough cough cough cough....

• Like 7
  • Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, Xian said:

So I know someone who is here illegally.  His middle school daughter (us citizen) has Covid. Now he and his work crew are too scared to get tested because they think trump will deport them for using medical benefits.  

to make things worse, as far as I know they are continuing to work and possibly spreading it. 

the entire situation is just so fucking shitty. 

harris county has a list of approved sites for people with no status

https://publichealth.harriscountytx.gov/Resources/2019-Novel-Coronavirus/COVID-19-Testing-Information

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

So how long until we are banned from other states entirely?  I'm supposed to be driving to Colorado in a few weeks.  Fucking assholes ruining it for all of us.

NM already requiring a 14-day quarantine, else we'd be going back.

23 hours ago, Post Oak said:

This is the GOP leadership style in a nutshell.  Fuck the situation up so terribly that the adults have to come in and save your ass.

I expect to hear Abbott slamming Turner for this pretty soon.

Texas GOP says not so fast, my friend. The question is whether Turner has his lawyers sandbag a bit and let them get the injunction.  If these GOP dumbasses might actually learn something when 1/2 of them come down with COVID-19, it might be worth it.  But who am I kidding - they'll throw out a conspiracy theory that Turner released coronavirus in the A/C system, and the Trumpkins will just lap that shit up ...

Edited by Gap03

Just now, Gap03 said:

Texas GOP says not so fast, my friend. The question is whether Turner has his lawyers sandbag a bit and let them get the injunction.  If these motherfuckers might actually learn something when 1/2 of them come down with COVID-19, it might be worth it.  But who am I kidding - they'll throw out a conspiracy that Turner released coronavirus in the A/C system, and the Trumpkins will just lap that shit up ...

Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

3 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Here come the deaths. Usually lag behind spikes 3 weeks or so

We need to have a $10,000 fine for anyone in violation of mask in public

also, restaurants and businesses in violation of mask ordinance need to be fined $100,000

yes, we need to stiffen the fuck up

• Like 3

Just now, GreenspointTexas said:

Here come the deaths. Usually lag behind spikes 3 weeks or so

We need to have a $10,000 fine for anyone in violation of mask in public

also, restaurants and businesses in violation of mask ordinance need to be fined $100,000

yes, we need to stiffen the fuck up

I read your post as:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

Texas GOP says not so fast, my friend. The question is whether Turner has his lawyers sandbag a bit and let them get the injunction.  If these GOP dumbasses might actually learn something when 1/2 of them come down with COVID-19, it might be worth it.  But who am I kidding - they'll throw out a conspiracy theory that Turner released coronavirus in the A/C system, and the Trumpkins will just lap that shit up ...

"Mayor Turner may not treat the [Republican Party of Texas] convention differently from that of the recent public protests that the Mayor supported," reads the petition, which also lists Houston First and the city of Houston as defendants. "Political viewpoint cannot be the basis for unequal treatment."

Never mind that one event was outside attended by only residents of the area, while the other is indoors and attendees will require lodging.  But nope, political viewpoint.

13 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

If this doesn't cause a rejection of the current leadership nothing will.

Thoughtful Texas leadership would have employed this carrot long ago. Instead, they took the 'whatever Trump says' approach with predictable results. Remember this when we're not watching UT football in the fall. 

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

Thoughtful Texas leadership would have employed this carrot long ago. Instead, they took the 'whatever Trump says' approach with predictable results. Remember this when we're not watching UT football in the fall. 

Yup. I'm betting on no college football. Ivy league already cancelled and some conferences are saying no non - conference games, which will become no games.  NFL will be played without fans. 

45 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Yup. I'm betting on no college football. Ivy league already cancelled and some conferences are saying no non - conference games, which will become no games.  NFL will be played without fans. 

There is just no way college football happens. If high school football is trending toward canceling, so is college. It sucks. Like Degenerate said, if our “leaders” had put it all in terms of losing football, they could have gotten Texans’ attention. Now it’s too late. 

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

If this doesn't cause a rejection of the current leadership nothing will.

Woo-hoo!  Westlake Chaps--forever state champs!

1 hour ago, Gap03 said:

What's the plan with this?  When cases increase in Houston and elsewhere after this, it's going to be pretty easy to put the blame on the GOP as an institution.  And for what?  What benefit do they gain from an in-person convention?