Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

Just now, Ghost of LL said:

Woo-hoo!  Westlake Chaps--forever state champs!

What's the plan with this?  When cases increase in Houston and elsewhere after this, it's going to be pretty easy to put the blame on the GOP as an institution.  And for what?  What benefit do they gain from an in-person convention?

You know the answer to this - to "OWN THA LIBS"!  It's the answer to the vast majority of the stupid shit they do.

20 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Over 100 fatalities.  Almost 10k cases on almost 18% positivity.  I guess the good news is the hospitalization rate of increase declined but still up.

And we still have assholes who won't wear a mask in public places.

Welp, tomorrow I know one of those people that will be in the up from yesterday counts for positive.  Just found out my dad tested positive.  He was going to work and to the grocery store and that's it so be careful out there Midland.

2 hours ago, Gap03 said:

Texas GOP says not so fast, my friend. The question is whether Turner has his lawyers sandbag a bit and let them get the injunction.  If these GOP dumbasses might actually learn something when 1/2 of them come down with COVID-19, it might be worth it.  But who am I kidding - they'll throw out a conspiracy theory that Turner released coronavirus in the A/C system, and the Trumpkins will just lap that shit up ...

Anyone want to bet this gets settled before dotard’s appeals on his tax returns?

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I mean, I would if I were them.  That said, I have a one night stay in Santa Fe on the way up to Colorado.  Not sure how they really enforce that.

Make it temporarily illegal to accept a Texas DL for any accomodations, rentals, or anything really. Wonder how that could go down

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

Yup. I'm betting on no college football. Ivy league already cancelled and some conferences are saying no non - conference games, which will become no games.  NFL will be played without fans. 

College football is going to happen. There's just way too much money in it. They'll set a schedule with no OOC games so the conference can better regulate testing and reduce travel and it'll happen. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wanker Bob said:

College football is going to happen. There's just way too much money in it. They'll set a schedule with no OOC games so the conference can better regulate testing and reduce travel and it'll happen. 

so, texas can't travel to baton rouge, but they'll go to morgantown?

i just don't see it.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Gap03 said:

Texas GOP says not so fast, my friend. The question is whether Turner has his lawyers sandbag a bit and let them get the injunction.  If these GOP dumbasses might actually learn something when 1/2 of them come down with COVID-19, it might be worth it.  But who am I kidding - they'll throw out a conspiracy theory that Turner released coronavirus in the A/C system, and the Trumpkins will just lap that shit up ...

The courts should hear this case in 2025.  

11 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Fuck them kids, them crips, and them bitches!

The problem is that TX doesn’t have a choice. A balanced budget is in the state constitution by amendment, if I recall correctly. So because the state cannot run a deficit, there will be major major cuts to deal with the fallout from coronavirus 

5 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Welp, tomorrow I know one of those people that will be in the up from yesterday counts for positive.  Just found out my dad tested positive.  He was going to work and to the grocery store and that's it so be careful out there Midland.

Sorry to hear that. Hope he handles it well. Midland is a cluster fuck of conservative bullshittery. Nobody wears masks unless forced to and the mayor is trying to work himself into a Fox News gig by throwing fits about mask orders and preaching about how much he trusts the locals to “do the responsible thing” when they’ve been completely irresponsible all along. 

10 minutes ago, MidTexHorn said:

Sorry to hear that. Hope he handles it well. Midland is a cluster fuck of conservative bullshittery. Nobody wears masks unless forced to and the mayor is trying to work himself into a Fox News gig by throwing fits about mask orders and preaching about how much he trusts the locals to “do the responsible thing” when they’ve been completely irresponsible all along. 

I grew up in Big Spring and monitor a FB page for local political issues, and the new mayor there models the worst type of blowhard Trumpian behavior. A week or so ago, he was behaving like such a jackass that half of the City Council walked out of the meeting leaving them without a quorum.

Part of the problem, though, is that his best buddy is the owner?/moderator for this group of over 9,000 in a town of 25,000. Because of the heavy moderation against any dissent, the two have created a tremendous voting block who are fucking up any progress the town had been starting to finally achieve over the last ten years.

The content of the (acceptable) posts is about the worst you can imagine, including the wildest conspiracy theories about mask wearing and Covid as a hoax. It's just so damned disheartening to see that town go from having a high school astronomy teacher (former neighbor when I was a kid) with its own planetarium in the high school to where now the football coaches use it to view film.

The chemistry, biology, and physics teachers were absolutely stellar back in the 1980s, which allowed me to consider them as blow-off courses for easy credit in college. Today, judging by the most vocal deniers, I'm surprised they aren't all ripping air filters from their cars and home AC units out of fear of asphyxiating them.

• Like 4

I grew up in Big Spring and monitor a FB page for local political issues, and the new mayor there models the worst type of blowhard Trumpian behavior. A week or so ago, he was behaving like such a jackass that half of the City Council walked out of the meeting leaving them without a quorum.
Part of the problem, though, is that his best buddy is the owner?/moderator for this group of over 9,000 in a town of 25,000. Because of the heavy moderation against any dissent, the two have created a tremendous voting block who are fucking up any progress the town had been starting to finally achieve over the last ten years.
The content of the (acceptable) posts is about the worst you can imagine, including the wildest conspiracy theories about mask wearing and Covid as a hoax. It's just so damned disheartening to see that town go from having a high school astronomy teacher (former neighbor when I was a kid) with its own planetarium in the high school to where now the football coaches use it to view film.
The chemistry, biology, and physics teachers were absolutely stellar back in the 1980s, which allowed me to consider them as blow-off courses for easy credit in college. Today, judging by the most vocal deniers, I'm surprised they aren't all ripping air filters from their cars and home AC units out of fear of asphyxiating them.
That sucks man. It's crazy my small town dwelling brother who struggles to work from home because of internet speed, is also against any federal funding to get decent internet to the sticks. And he bitches about his taxes when small towns take the most and need the most. Those kids are being left behind, can't even internet their way out, and are left being indoctrinated as trumpers bitching about jerbs..

They should all go hang out in the smoke pit and hope to become musicians
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

That sucks man. It's crazy my small town dwelling brother who struggles to work from home because of internet speed, is also against any federal funding to get decent internet to the sticks. And he bitches about his taxes when small towns take the most and need the most. Those kids are being left behind, can't even internet their way out, and are left being indoctrinated as trumpers bitching about jerbs..

They should all go hang out in the smoke pit and hope to become musicians

The crazy thing is that at every step of the way, they're shooting themselves in their own feet and don't realize that's what keeps them from moving forward. These are self-inflicted wounds leading to a debilitating condition of paranoia, dependence, and assigning blame.

The Internet *speed* there isn't really a problem though with the town being on the Interstate with decent fiber. The Internet *access* to dumbshittery and fuckheaded ideas that reinforce the worst impulses of small town thinking, however, is a huge part of it.

Edit: I'm increasingly in the camp that believes some sort of Internet bullshit detector class that stresses critical thinking should be incorporated into the core curriculum as a prerequisite for high school graduation.

Edited by bolverk
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

And we’ll all be in our livings rooms looking at the TV like...

518-F707-E-A7-EF-4459-86-E9-162-F19-D546

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 1

Covid19 hospitalizations here in Colorado.  We’re about to begin our own exponential growth.  

These numbers don’t reflect it yet, but we are going to get a huge bloom from July 4th.  After clamping down and killing spring break before it started, Colorado stayed open to all tourism with no limitations for out of state visitors over the 4th.  On Thursday and Friday, our mountain town of 1000 residents that is not on the main I-70 corridor looked like Mopac at 5:30pm on a weekday.  A good 40% were rental cars or from out of state.

14 minutes ago, DaysOff said:
1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:
I got approved for ADA accommodations at work, so I can work from home till the end of 2020!  

Fuck you Dan Patrick!

Man, you used to run marathons. ADA my ass.

How do you think I got bone spurs?

28 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Lol Abbott said to a Lubbock TV station today that if things dont improve by next week, he is going to issue a state-wide lockdown

what a fucking clown

Did he define what constitutes improvement?  Because I bet he didn’t just like how there were no tangible metrics on how to move from Phase 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 or whatever other than just waiting a week or two.  Are amusement parks and carnivals still open; serious question because I lost track of his stupidity when that announcement came out.

Fuck him.

• Like 1

I've got to share this. I spoke to a woman who works at an assisted living center today. She was in tears. They have so many COVID-19 cases, workers are calling in sick and they are receiving instructions on how to preserve bodies because of delays in the morgue from getting them

^ See, that's the kind of thing where three weeks later you can't release a football schedule. Or have teachers setting up hand wash stations in classrooms. And if there's one story like that, there will be more in the next couple weeks. I've been a supporter of the return-to-football plan, but it's getting tougher to envision
Edited by Bartles