Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

Apparently we're gonna wave pool our asses back into economic prosperity. 

The types of businesses that people protested to get back into, and the ones that were a priority for the Governor's office...da fuh? 

I mean he specifically singled out bingo parlors, nail salons, movie theaters, and water parks.  That will be studied by economists for decades.  Collectively, they make up probably less than 1% of our state's GDP and collectively employ maybe 20,000 people with another 10,000 in seasonal employees.  But they all somehow became stateside priorities.  This will never not baffle me, the order in which we opened things back up.  I guess the bingo parlor cartels are as powerful as the conspiracy theorists suggested.  You can still smoke in them and they somehow aren't really "gambling" even though there's more strategy involved in slot machines.  Anyway, someday one of you "Open It All Up NOW!" folks explain this shit to me.  Real slow.

Also, that interview spin on Cornyn.  The Senator is "questioning the likelihood that children can catch it and THEN transmit it."  

Dah fuh?  

Coronavirus inside a 10-year old's body, "Guys, we gotta just hang tight here.  Nobody leaves, understand?  I know our corporate culture is to spread to other hosts, but this host here is just a kid.  So the law says we stay here and just run out our clock.  I know, I know...the kid has saliva, coughs and sneezes like the rest of their species.  But Senator Cornyn says we can't transfer out of here.  Once we're here, we're here.  No transferring, this isn't Rutgers, okay?"  

I’m sure all of these industries belong to some lobbying group that pushed to have them included in the opening orders. Of course they all professed they could open safely so where’s the harm. You can trust every business owner to have the customers safety as top priority. 

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

You have a link for this 40-60%?  And we're talking about NYC, not specific neighborhoods?

He's talking basically about one or two very specific neighborhood clinic in Queens. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/09/nyregion/nyc-coronavirus-antibodies.html

https://www.businessinsider.com/68-people-tested-at-new-york-clinic-had-coronavirus-antibodies-2020-7

But it wasn't randomized testing as far as I can tell so chances are the only people that took the test were people that were feeling sick already enough to go to a clinic. Of course that's going to lead to higher antibodies and positive test results, so if they took those specific neighborhoods and did completely randomized antibody testing chances are the numbers would be far far lower. 

Of course because he's zork he says all of NYC. 

Edited by Wanker Bob
  • Like 1

On 7/10/2020 at 12:07 AM, bolverk said:

Edit: I'm increasingly in the camp that believes some sort of Internet bullshit detector class that stresses critical thinking should be incorporated into the core curriculum as a prerequisite for high school graduation.

I think, from what I observe in Austin anyway, that millenials and younger have been so bombarded with media bullshit over the TV and internet that they've organically built up such a filter. They also don't seem so vulnerable to sentimental appeal because that has also been worn out by advertising. 

They don't seem to get all goose pimply when ABC Corp shows the flag waving in golden light and talks about how great we Americans are. I imagine they laugh when the sad plinkity plink of a piano begins yet another commercial about these unprecedented times and how Jimbo's Safe and Sanitary Septic Service has always been there for us and always will. We have you back.

I don't like generational competition or over emphasizing generational traits, but this is what this boomer has seen in the under 35 crowd I associate with. I wonder if it makes them more like Europeans.

• Like 4

Yeah, most generational generalities and Lobo alliterations aside, it's just a statistical fact that Americans under 35 socialize with people of other races much more than Americans over 35.  It's because of there just being more people of color in the nation now, but also social norms, more public events/spaces, more internet meeting of people, etc.  And it's just not cool anymore to be an asshole white curmudgeon who thinks those same people are stealing your country.  

But it's gotta be weird to look through this police reform/criminal justice call to action/BLM stuff and see what horrible injustices and institutional racism that are all still rampant in our nation.  And then you look at your leaders, both political and corporate, and their remedy is to remove racially insensitive episodes from shows that aired before you were born.  No serious police reform.  No serious looks at educational and economic barriers that inhibit upward trajectories for the Black community.  Nope, we're gonna delete Karl Malone skits.  That should fix it! They have to see these empty gestures and just laugh.  And I don't blame them.

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

You have a link for this 40-60%?  And we're talking about NYC, not specific neighborhoods?

NYC is estimated to be about 20% based on random antibody testing. 

https://www.6sqft.com/new-york-covid-antibody-test-preliminary-results/

19.9 in early May. 21.6 in mid June. 

Some neighborhoods have it much worse than others though. Zork is one of those that likes to apply localized statistics across a large area though.  NYC crime is "through the roof" because of a mostly Bronx based crime wave as well.  We need to do better for the Bronx.  

I don't think NYC ever came close to 60% even on voluntary symptomatic testing, much less random sample testing. 

Edited by FondrenRoad

Really the toothpaste has been out of the tube due to virtually no leadership, dumbass citizens, and the fact that the world is smaller than its ever been in human history

Other than a vaccine, nothing will be able to stop everyone from contracting it. Im thinkin at least 12-15 more months at minimum, or an EFFECTIVE vaccine, whichever comes first

anything else is just re-arranging deck chairs. Id estimate maybe 4-8 more spikes like this one before this whole thing is said and done

• Like 1

I don’t know why, but I cut Abbott some slack.  Maybe it’s not rational, like because he’s a cripple or because he is a longhorn.  But I feel like he’s handled this better than he could have.  CERTAINLY, I wish he’d have been at the front of the line advocating for shutdown, test/trace, and masks back in Q1.  But given his political base, he basically had to commit political suicide to do the right thing, and even though he waited too long, he eventually did the right thing by requiring masks.  And I am confident he will shut down again if the situation undeniably warrants it.  I guess I blame his base and his party’s national leadership more than I blame him, which probably isn’t right.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Snake Diggity said:

I don’t know why, but I cut Abbott some slack.  Maybe it’s not rational, like because he’s a cripple or because he is a longhorn.  But I feel like he’s handled this better than he could have.  CERTAINLY, I wish he’d have been at the front of the line advocating for shutdown, test/trace, and masks back in Q1.  But given his political base, he basically had to commit political suicide to do the right thing, and even though he waited too long, he eventually did the right thing by requiring masks.  And I am confident he will shut down again if the situation undeniably warrants it.  I guess I blame his base and his party’s national leadership more than I blame him, which probably isn’t right.

Go with this assessment. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

The situation has undeniably warranted it for 2 weeks now. Oh and also he’s hell bent on opening up schools as well. He’s not managing this well at all. 

20 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

It’s not right. Dan Patrick is deeply partisan and his public persona is awful, but to his credit he and his staff care about policy and the outcome of policy. They take it seriously and will work to get things accomplished.

Greg Abbott cares about Greg Abbott. If it doesn’t personally  benefit  him politically, it’s a non-starter.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

14 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

It’s not right. Dan Patrick is deeply partisan and his public persona is awful, but to his credit he and his staff care about policy and the outcome of policy. They take it seriously and will work to get things accomplished.

Greg Abbott cares about Greg Abbott. If it doesn’t personally  benefit  him politically, it’s a non-starter.

@Snake Diggity  I'm going to use you as an example, correct me if I'm wrong. Not a value judgement on your take, though I do disagree with it.

Bozo, This is what I was talking about earlier in regards to that Presidential poll. It's why I don't think white liberals were driving that result and sinking Trump. It's voters like this - I'm somewhat confident based on posting history that Snake Diggity would self-identify as moderate or even center-right (correct me if I'm wrong) - and they've already made it pretty clear they're not voting for Trump. But Abbott gets a pass. We saw the same thing in 2018. White liberals didn't almost knock off Ted Cruz. Moderates did - he fucking lost Williamson and Tarrant Counties, not exactly overflowing with the white liberals that populate, say Travis County, while Abbott won by a gazillion votes. Cornyn and Abbott are well liked because they were established with voters here pre-Trump. The state has turned on Trump but not on them.

Edited by gmr548
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

42 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

This is a terrible take and you should feel ashamed for posting it.

If by handling it any worse you were implying he round up all the high risk citizens and mass exterminate them then I will take back my assessment.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

Uh, wut? 

There are only, maybe, 3-4 governors that have handled this worse in the US

Just like Republican Senators, Abbot could have done the right thing and told both trump and his idiotic base to go fuck themselves. He didn’t and they didn’t so they can all suffer the consequences of being such spineless bastards. At least Abbot has the tree excuse.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Just like Republican Senators, Abbot could have done the right thing and told both trump and his idiotic base to go fuck themselves. He didn’t and they didn’t so they can all suffer the consequences of being such spineless bastards.

He didn’t and that trump base is now telling  him to go fuck himself / they want to vote him out. So he managed to fuck over the entire state and sink his political career. 

i hope they didn’t go overboard with ‘ABBOTT 2020’ t shirts   

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

@Snake Diggity  I'm going to use you as an example, correct me if I'm wrong. Not a value judgement on your take, though I do disagree with it.

Bozo, This is what I was talking about earlier in regards to that Presidential poll. It's why I don't think white liberals were driving that result and sinking Trump. It's voters like this - I'm somewhat confident based on posting history that Snake Diggity would self-identify as moderate or even center-right (correct me if I'm wrong) - and they've already made it pretty clear they're not voting for Trump. But Abbott gets a pass. We saw the same thing in 2018. White liberals didn't almost knock off Ted Cruz. Moderates did - he fucking lost Williamson and Tarrant Counties, not exactly overflowing with the white liberals that populate, say Travis County, while Abbott won by a gazillion votes. Cornyn and Abbott are well liked because they were established with voters here pre-Trump. The state has turned on Trump but not on them.

You are very, very wrong about my ideology.

Edited by Snake Diggity

Wow, Abbott as the VP slot on the ticket.  I did not see that coming.  But I guess you gotta shore up Texas if things are this dire.

I understand the impulse but this mindset is the problem - it’s putting “his base” over all other citizens.

He’s not just the leader of “his base”.

Leaders have to make the right decision, even if it’s unpopular.

That we’re even discussing the politics of fighting a pandemic is why we are where we are.
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

I understand the impulse but this mindset is the problem - it’s putting “his base” over all other citizens.

He’s not just the leader of “his base”.

Leaders have to make the right decision, even if it’s unpopular.

That we’re even discussing the politics of fighting a pandemic is why we are where we are.

I did not vote for Abbott and will not in the future.  I just wouldn’t expect any republican governor to be handling this the way I think they should, because I’m not ignorant of the political context.  The best we could have hoped for was a nuanced break from Trump, and staying just enough in front of the pandemic to keep the healthcare system from getting overwhelmed.  Is it pathetic that the bar is that low?  Absolutely.  Does a R governor who breaks from Trump in any way deserve credit for those moves?  I think so.

Edited by Snake Diggity

4 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

I did not vote for Abbott and will not in the future.  I just wouldn’t expect any republican governor to be handling this the way I think they should, because I’m not ignorant of the political context.  The best we could have hoped for was a nuanced break from Trump, and staying just enough in front of the pandemic to keep the healthcare system from getting overwhelmed.  Is it pathetic that the bar is that low?  Absolutely.  Does a R governor who breaks from Trump in any way deserve credit for those moves?  I think so.

The Republican governors of Ohio and Maryland have done a pretty good job of not showing their asses in all of this.

• Like 4

I voted for Abbott and I think he completely fucked this up. He was too scared to act so he punted to the local governments. He could've called the Legislature into session but he hasn't done so. When the retards got pissed he opened everything up too early and took away the football from the local governments after punting the ball to them.

In a pandemic we need a strong, intelligent, and decisive leader. Abbott lacks two of those qualities.

I give him a D-. I agree with Snake Diggity that it could've been worse.

Edited by Bookman
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Texans largely forgiving a man too afraid to stand up to the rich New York trust fund baby bullying him at the expense of our lives.

I thought we were tough.

nope, soft as baby's butt. when will we stand up?

What would cause Abbott to have an F if he doesn’t have it now? I’m comfortable in thinking the deaths in two weeks are gonna be pretty damn high, but I’d love to be wrong. After his troll-like behavior about solving his riddle in getting people to wear masks by requiring businesses to I tuned him out as a serious person.

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

True, but their states are pretty purple compared to Texas.  They had a lot less risk in breaking from Trump.  

dewine was on tv back in early march before this thing went full political.  he just did what he thought the science dictated, and what he thought was right.

he didn't take the political calculus of his state into account.  i also think trump will win ohio by a similar margin (if not bigger) than he will texas.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

What would cause Abbott to have an F if he doesn’t have it now? I’m comfortable in thinking the deaths in two weeks are gonna be pretty damn high, but I’d love to be wrong. After his troll-like behavior about solving his riddle in getting people to wear masks by requiring businesses to I tuned him out as a serious person.

I think DeSantis has arguably been worse (not that that’s saying much) so I think a D- for Abbott isn’t too far off. 

3 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Interesting take. I guess my issue with Abbott is more fundamental and isn’t about the whole conservative/liberal thing: he’s terrible at his job. I get that I probably pay more attention to nuts and bolts stuff than most, but I don’t get where the positive feeling comes from.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 1