Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

3 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

"I was afraid some SJW  someone who was concerned they would contract Covid or bring it home to someone in their family who is immunocompromised would correctly come to the conclusion that I am a lazy asshole who wouldn't spend a minute to walk out to my truck to get my mask!"

FIFY.

Edited by lemonlime
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

and if you somehow find yourself inside a store without a mask, then go back to your car and put it on.  If the mask is at home, then go back home. 

On the topic of Home Depot, I found myself there this weekend buying a few things that I wanted but honesty I didn't need. I've since realized that needs/wants should be a factor in going to a store right now. I'm going to stay away from shopping in-person if it's something that I just want but don't need.

I went to Home Depot last week for something I needed due to a plumbing leak. I must have had a look of being confused because an employee tried to help me find something but the asshole was wearing his mask around his neck. I know he was trying to be helpful but I just stepped away. Utter bullshit, I wanted to be a Ken but I just got what I needed and left.

• Like 1

Well that post didn't go well! I didn't mean SJW to be pejorative, and definitely not to mean any normal, reasonable, liberal (or conservative) people e.g. all of us on this website who are people who don't yell and scream at people in public, regardless of the situation or reason. SJW was meant to mean the type of person who would walk up to someone without a mask on and scream at them, which no reasonable person would do no matter what political striped animal you are, unless you were in need of mental help.

3 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Sorry, I should know better than to use acronyms in mixed company. That acronym means social justice warrior. In this instance I was referring to someone who would aggressively try to engage me or yell at me or something, because they are warriors.

Racist, tbh

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

25 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Well that post didn't go well! I didn't mean SJW to be pejorative, and definitely not to mean any normal, reasonable, liberal (or conservative) people e.g. all of us on this website who are people who don't yell and scream at people in public, regardless of the situation or reason. SJW was meant to mean the type of person who would walk up to someone without a mask on and scream at them, which no reasonable person would do no matter what political striped animal you are, unless you were in need of mental help.

Richard Castle Reaction GIFs

• Like 2

Sorry, I should know better than to use acronyms in mixed company. That acronym means social justice warrior. In this instance I was referring to someone who would aggressively try to engage me or yell at me or something, because they are warriors.

I’m not one for hyperbole, but you are worse than Hitler.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I don't have kids, so I don't know what the pulse is among other parents, but is anyone actually wanting to send their kids back to school right now?

No, but we are trying to set up a rotation with a couple of my daughter's classmates that she has been "quaranteamed" with this summer so they can remote learn together instead of each doing it separately.

13 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I don't have kids, so I don't know what the pulse is among other parents, but is anyone actually wanting to send their kids back to school right now?

We are. My child has not interacted with another child since early March. She watches a lot of TV while her mom tries to work from home and I go to work as an essential worker. I don't like that we are considering it, but is the alternative to keep her secluded until 2021 or 2022? I honestly don't know and we go back-and-forth on an almost daily basis. It really sucks that we are having to make this decision.

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

we opted for online for the first semester.  my girls are 12 and 8 and have really been great throughout this.  i actually wish they wanted to hang out with us more instead of facetiming their friends.

27 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Nope.  Plan is for virtual high school learning for the first 9 weeks and see where the country is at.  Most people in my area of Dallas seem to not think it is a big deal to send their kids back so most of my sons friends will be going back and he won’t.  He will play on some athletic teams at school but even he tells us there is no way they can play basketball and social distance so apparently my 14 year old is smarter than most Americans.  

I want my kid to go back but it's not happening. We have inadequate test capacity. My girlfriend travelled and got a test 13 days ago in Maryland. Still no result. She had to social distance and stay in our airstream. It's rediculous. We finally said fuck it because it sucks.
We alternate with my Ex every two weeks. Longer if one family has higher risk like a wedding. And because of testing lag we are more limited on what we can do. It sucks

I want my kid to go back but it's not happening. We have inadequate test capacity. My girlfriend travelled and got a test 13 days ago in Maryland. Still no result. She had to social distance and stay in our airstream. It's rediculous. We finally said fuck it because it sucks.
We alternate with my Ex every two weeks. Longer if one family has higher risk like a wedding. And because of testing lag we are more limited on what we can do. It sucks.
Also it would be nice to have team sports again, but if we have 7-10 days between test how can we limit spread.

10 minutes ago, ultimaton said:

spacer.png

This was taken today yesterday at the Jon Francis rally that Ted Cruz attended today in Hood County

Hood County: 185 cases and 5 fatalities. IIRC, in the same hospital region as DFW which has 1,895 COVID patients at the moment.

Ted's Excellent Adventure in How Not To Pandemic is about ready to depart the station.

My anecdotal evidence from co-workers with kids indicates they'd be thrilled to just have all children quarantined in schools from August to May, no visitation.

33 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

So much so you want to put them at risk of contracting a potentially deadly disease?

starts at 13 min.  Pediatricians discussing risk and if they would recommend kids in school, which they do.  Our kids are young and we aren't around any immunocompromised folks so we can't wait for them to start.  And the risk for kids dying from this is so remote it is not a rationale concern

4 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

starts at 13 min.  Pediatricians discussing risk and if they would recommend kids in school, which they do.  Our kids are young and we aren't around any immunocompromised folks so we can't wait for them to start.  And the risk for kids dying from this is so remote it is not a rationale concern

Right, ignoring the unknown long-term complications, are the students not being taught by adults at your school?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Foosters said:

Right, ignoring the unknown long-term complications, are the students not being taught by adults at your school?

They are.  Should I ignore the known long term complications of my kids mental health?  Falling behind? Or should I only focus on a potential unknown? I've known 3 kids (15 months to 8 years) that had it and they had fevers for a day. Bottom line is this is a personal preference and people weigh risks differently.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I'm in Richardson and the superintendent shared the results of surveys they did back in June.  Basically, 2/3rds of parents want in-person school.  Richardson covers a broad range of socio-economic groups and I'm sure the percentage of lower income or single parents families in the district is much higher than places like Frisco, McKinney, etc.  I have to think that lack of childcare options is driving a lot of this.

The district will be offering the option of in-person or remote learning.  For our part, our 2 elementary ages kids will stay remote and/or home school for the fall.  Even if they open schools, it seems inevitable that they will have to close them again at some point.  I can't even imagine how they're going to deal with this when cold & flu season rolls around and half of the kids are sneezing, coughing, etc.  I'd rather just plan for remote learning from the jump as opposed to getting forced into it in November.

Our son is preparing to go back to A&M. He already knows that all clubs will be virtual meeting, no in person allowed. He knows that at some point he'll probably be back home just like last semester but is going to introduce himself to profs and at least try and do some in person classes. He has one POLS prof that was adamant about wanting to do online classes only due to a number of health issues - of course he is teaching in person, for now.

Our daughter is a HS senior. I Think we are are gonna try and send her back, but who knows until it actually happens.

Edit: Wife teaches preschool. They got a big ol email from their principal today about various things. One thing is that their board voted to require tuition, no matter if they are in person or virtual, so she will have to figure out how to teach 2 year olds over a computer instead of what she did last spring which was zoom meet a couple times a week and read a book. Now how a 2 year old learns to share and interact with others over zoom, beats the F out of us.

Edited by relapse98

We are. My child has not interacted with another child since early March. She watches a lot of TV while her mom tries to work from home and I go to work as an essential worker. I don't like that we are considering it, but is the alternative to keep her secluded until 2021 or 2022? I honestly don't know and we go back-and-forth on an almost daily basis. It really sucks that we are having to make this decision.
This is where we're at. No great options.

19 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

They are.  Should I ignore the known long term complications of my kids mental health?  Falling behind? Or should I only focus on a potential unknown? I've known 3 kids (15 months to 8 years) that had it and they had fevers for a day. Bottom line is this is a personal preference and people weigh risks differently.  

One of the knowns, though, is that Texas has reacted to the unknowns under the rosiest of assumptions which has been catastrophic. To open up schools would be a replay of reacting to the unknowns under the rosiest of assumptions and so far as I can tell, the plan seems to be no plan- an all or nothing mandate from the top with the "y'all figure it out" burden placed on the locals.

Boy #1 is slated to start at Trinity in a month.  We are going to drive him down from MD.  It will be a mix of online and in person, using the Notre Dame schedule. That’s the plan at this point.

Boy #2 is a rising junior.  His school district has not announced yet, but Montegomery (MD) is doing virtual till November, then starting in person.  I suspect PGCPS will do likewise. 

• Like 1

No kids here so take my opinions for whatever. 

College students - let them go back if they want but tell them to stay away from home all semester. And the schools should give teachers the options to teach in-person if they want. I do think the teacher can effectively social distance in many classrooms. Office hours could be handled remotely. However I could see schools not wanting to open if only 50% of the students are indicating they're coming back.

K-8 kids - if possible, let them stay home. Figure out some home school method + virtual learning. If the parent(s) can be involved somewhat, the kid shouldn't fall behind educationally. 

High school - this is toughest one of all. Being in the middle of both groups above.  I don't know the best option here or what will be allowed.

for K-12, I do think that all sports and groups should cancelled. I know that is what motivates some kids but maybe it's time for them to grow up and not require a sport to motivate them to care about school.

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Hood County: 185 cases and 5 fatalities. IIRC, in the same hospital region as DFW which has 1,895 COVID patients at the moment.

Ted's Excellent Adventure in How Not To Pandemic is about ready to depart the station.

i don't understand this...isn't it in direct violation of Abbott's order? both the number of people gathered as well as no masks? 

wtf

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Invisible Enemy

Warriors

Battle

I'm growing weary of the war imagery that has taken over.

When did

Harmony

Peace

Cooperation

Compromise

Goodwill

And Empathy

become dirty words? Such sad times that these are seen as weak minded and feeble.

As I walk through this wicked world
Searchin' for light in the darkness of insanity
I ask myself, "Is all hope lost?
Is there only pain and hatred and misery?"
And each time I feel like this inside
There's one thing I wanna know
What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?
What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, babysdaddy said:

I know. I was kinda just fucking with you. Upthread I noted that I am dealing with the same tough decision. It sucks

• Like 1

I went to Home Depot at 7am this morning to pick up some paving stones in the garden section. Maybe because I was still groggy/sleepy, I completely forgot that I left my toddler in the carseat in the truck and by the time I was loading up the stones on the cart I remembered. I was nervous walking through the Home Depot some SJW was going to turn their GalaxyNote9000 and yell at me for leaving a baby in the truck and I'd just be timidly apologizing and trying to explain the honest mistake, but luckily I was able to check out and get out before only 5 or 6 folks saw me and nobody said anything. Probably just cursed me in their minds.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, babysdaddy said:

I like hearing those sorts of medical opinions, but I'd like them to address some of the conflicting data - e.g.:

Maybe these numbers are small in the grand scheme, or perhaps it's the staff rather than the kids that are primarily getting sick.  Either way, there does seem to be a fair amount of COVID being spread when you have a bunch of kids crammed together with adults, and I'd like to understand why that's not worth worrying about.  Even if it's just the adults getting really sick, someone has to teach the kids, right?  Count me with the folks that are more worried about the psychological impact of my kid's teacher dying of COVID than another 6-9 months of remote learning / facetiming / bubble socialization.  

9 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

I like hearing those sorts of medical opinions, but I'd like them to address some of the conflicting data - e.g.:

Maybe these numbers are small in the grand scheme, or perhaps it's the staff rather than the kids that are primarily getting sick.  Either way, there does seem to be a fair amount of COVID being spread when you have a bunch of kids crammed together with adults, and I'd like to understand why that's not worth worrying about.  Even if it's just the adults getting really sick, someone has to teach the kids, right?  Count me with the folks that are more worried about the psychological impact of my kid's teacher dying of COVID than another 6-9 months of remote learning / facetiming / bubble socialization.  

Yeah. And the knowns as far as kids affected and transmitting covid are almost exclusively derived from us being shut down. Kids aren't going to bars. Packing kids hours-long into classrooms, then going home to their families? I'm far from an expert, but if we're factoring kids' mental health into the equation, we can't be lazy and and give scant consideration to them losing a parent they unwittingly infected. 

• Like 2

After today, I doubt you'll accidentally forget your mask again in a store. That said, I'll offer up a helpful hint for not forgetting in the future (been there, done that). I leave my mask on the dashboard just in front of the steering wheel for a couple of reasons: a) it's in my line of sight so I don't forget as easily to mask up and b) I figure it sitting under the broiling summer sun kills the shit out of any virus that may be on it.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

So what happens when we send the kids to school and people start getting covid left and right?

seems like less of a logistical nightmare if we just keep everyone home

Not sure if they can legally do this with public schools, but my kids private schools are a) forcing a brown bag/bring your own lunch policy b) mandatory spacing of desks (already a small teacher:student) and c) doing temperature checks/scans every morning. 

wouldn’t be surprised or opposed if they wanted to make masks mandatory, my elementary aged kids are used to them by now.

And I stocked up and have 3 cloth masks in the truck and will be using the dashboard back to 100% remember now thanks!

Edited by Rougarou
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

So what happens when we send the kids to school and people start getting covid left and right?

seems like less of a logistical nightmare if we just keep everyone home

We can always bring in more morgue trucks.  It's worth it for the lib tears.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Not sure if they can legally do this with public schools, but my kids private schools are a) forcing a brown bag/bring your own lunch policy b) mandatory spacing of desks (already a small teacher:student) and c) doing temperature checks/scans every morning. 

wouldn’t be surprised or opposed if they wanted to make masks mandatory, my elementary aged kids are used to them by now.

And I stocked up and have 3 cloth masks in the truck and will be using the dashboard back to 100% remember now thanks!

But what happens when they do that and people still get covid/outbreaks at certain schools happen?

Who is going to teach them if teachers get sick? How are they going to distance on buses? How are they going to distance in some classrooms? What happens if 3/4 of a class falls ill? Does everyone else still have to go? What about quarantining?

Regardless of what happens, sending kids to school is the same as having packed bars and restaurants. For parents, its the same as hanging out with 30-40 other parents every day for 8 hours to me.

48 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Mondays are always low on some stats, mostly deaths and cases as some private labs aren't working on Sunday and some coroner's offices and county offices aren't processing on Sundays.  We'll see how we do on Tuesday and Wednesday to see where we really are.

Really? You trust what this guy is saying? Jeremy S. Wallace? If you rearrange his initials it spells... SJW. 

• Like 2