Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

52 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

But what happens when they do that and people still get covid/outbreaks at certain schools happen?

Who is going to teach them if teachers get sick? How are they going to distance on buses? How are they going to distance in some classrooms? What happens if 3/4 of a class falls ill? Does everyone else still have to go? What about quarantining?

Regardless of what happens, sending kids to school is the same as having packed bars and restaurants. For parents, its the same as hanging out with 30-40 other parents every day for 8 hours to me.

Good questions and I’m not sure, but I think the private school is small enough that it is up to the task (and can legally do some things that public’s can’t, like demand parents drop off pick up instead of rely on busses in your questions and demand parents pack a lunch, demand temp checks and demand social distancing, demand wearing masks in classrooms etc.) that we deem it an appropriate risk versus having them stay at home and play Minecraft or watch Disney+ all day because mommy and daddy are working.

And if the adults/teachers catch ill or it spreads at the school then I guess we will have to try our best to homeschool with what we got.

I think everyone is worried about kids falling behind academically, but I’m just not sure If this should be a mild concern (kids are resilient, etc.) or a deeper one and studies and data will bear this out in 20 years ex post facto.

Also there are questions if another year at home is going to have disabling affects on future income and opportunity potential for those affected by covid for 1-3 years of schooling (across the board/ages, from elementary to college), and we know minority communities are being hit the hardest, then we have to work to make sure we are helping a people who already are behind the eight ball with systematic racism, to not be hit hard by covid-19 too. These are reasons I think we should put a bias to opening schools in the fall, in safe/considerate and creative ways (see: NBA Orlando)

2 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Good questions and I’m not sure, but I think the private school is small enough that it is up to the task (and can legally do some things that public’s can’t, like demand parents drop off pick up instead of rely on busses in your questions and demand parents pack a lunch, demand temp checks and demand social distancing, demand wearing masks in classrooms etc.) that we deem it an appropriate risk versus having them stay at home and play Minecraft or watch Disney+ all day because mommy and daddy are working.

And if the adults/teachers catch ill or it spreads at the school then I guess we will have to try our best to homeschool with what we got.

I think everyone is worried about kids falling behind academically, but I’m just not sure If this should be a mild concern (kids are resilient, etc.) or a deeper one and studies and data will bear this out in 20 years ex post facto.

Also there are questions if another year at home is going to have disabling affects on future income and opportunity potential for those affected by covid for 1-3 years of schooling (across the board/ages, from elementary to college), and we know minority communities are being hit the hardest, then we have to work to make sure we are helping a people who already are behind the eight ball with systematic racism, to not be hit hard by covid-19 too. These are reasons I think we should put a bias to opening schools in the fall, in safe/considerate and creative ways (see: NBA Orlando)

I hear you. The reason im asking is because I have no clue on what the right answer is. I dont think anyone does. Its the ultimate damned if u do, damned if you dont question

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CowboyFred said:

And wasn’t this slapdick on a plane either late yesterday or early today with no mask?  I hate this fuckstick

Yes, I believe he was flying from one hotspot to another (Houston/DFW).

Ultimaton with the faster fingers.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
edit

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Geez. Turner saying that he hasn’t spoken directly with Abbott in a while.  Shouldn’t they be speaking weekly if not daily.

Abbott doesn’t give a fuck about this state. It’s all about the MAGA 2020 train !!!!

Remember that DeSantis is just two years into his first term.  He can easily serve out two terms, if he's popular enough.  

Gov. Abbott could seek another term and likely win.  But he has privately said he would not do that.  

I still think a 2022 Governor's race in Texas looks like Bush v. O'Rourke.  But then again, we're in a race to see which state can be the most fucking insane with regard to Covid-19.  So who knows?  

One of my neighbors tried to give Abbott a pass today: "He's doing so much better!"

I WAS NOT having it:

He chose to run for office, he chose to ignore the health guidelines, he chose to restrict the ability of local communities to combat the virus, and he chose to throw them all under the bus when everything went like the health officials thought it might. A leader admits a mistake, a leader does not shirk from his duty to the citizenry that elected him nor from the ones who did not.

I'm not going to be invited to the next social distance driveway gathering. I can read the room. (or in this, case, the lawn).

• Like 6

One of my neighbors tried to give Abbott a pass today: "He's doing so much better!"

I WAS NOT having it:

He chose to run for office, he chose to ignore the health guidelines, he chose to restrict the ability of local communities to combat the virus, and he chose to throw them all under the bus when everything went like the health officials thought it might. A leader admits a mistake, a leader does not shirk from his duty to the citizenry that elected him nor from the ones who did not.

I'm not going to be invited to the next social distance driveway gathering. I can read the room. (or in this, case, the lawn).

An elected 'leader' ignoring experts, never admitting a mistake, throwing others under the bus, putting the public at risk....this sounds familiar.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Just link and endorse or critique NBA Orlando (whatever that is, goddamn). "There are reasons" based, on vague epicenter of the world models is fucking cartoonish. "Hey! Florida's made a wake. Let's catch that drift, brah." It's like I'm reading a Hindenburg artifact.

Rural areas are being hit hardest in their school systems by this.  Like everyone else, they have childcare and child social distancing issues.     But that's compounded by more:

1) No decent high speed internet in large areas of most districts.   Some are employing mobile hot spots.  But even so, bad for a family with more than one student because of bandwidth issues.  

2) Little or no budgeting for online learning programs.

3) Many poorer students don't have reliable devices. 

4) The bulk of your populace are trumpkins and being good rural americans, they live about 2 months behind the rest of the world, be it fashion or politics.

5) Many of the older kids place more priority on the social aspects of school than the scholastic.  For many of them class is something the endure to play under the Friday night lights, or show their prize steer.  With the social agenda gone, lots will lose interest.

6) Many of the students ride the bus, so are the bus drivers going to take temps and pre screen each child as they board?

To make it even more abysmal, the tanking of O&G in the past year is going to put a double whammy on the future tax income for a lot of rural schools in addition to the harm Covid is already doing.  

I imagine the poorer inner city schools share some of these same concerns, as well as have their own.

And  Betsy DeVoss is pushing hard to take even more money from public schools and hand out vouchers so parents can send their kids to private (for profit) schools.  And no one seems to give a shit.    Hell, we can't even keep hospitals in the sticks, how are we supposed to support private schools?  

Honestly I don't see this even starting to diminish until Trump and his grifters and enablers are put out or down.  I don't give much shit which now.   I hope we have enough votes to do that this November.  Every misstep by these assholes reveals their ignorance and greedy natures.  Every case, every death weighs against them.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Trump is not negligent.

He's evil.

He's proactively attacking the most credible public health information available for the sake of his public image regardless of how many American lives it has and will cost.

He is a traitor.

And let us never forget it. 

• Like 2

You know what pisses me off the most?  It didn’t have to be this way. I actively hate republicans at this juncture, but I would love it if we could go back to just having policy disagreements because they actually were arguing in good faith. But noooooo. They fucking turned it into a war and now it’s a war they shall have. 

Yes, perhaps they have never argued in good faith, im not sure.

Edited by Biff Tannen
  • Like 5

I'm in Richardson and the superintendent shared the results of surveys they did back in June.  Basically, 2/3rds of parents want in-person school.  Richardson covers a broad range of socio-economic groups and I'm sure the percentage of lower income or single parents families in the district is much higher than places like Frisco, McKinney, etc.  I have to think that lack of childcare options is driving a lot of this.
The district will be offering the option of in-person or remote learning.  For our part, our 2 elementary ages kids will stay remote and/or home school for the fall.  Even if they open schools, it seems inevitable that they will have to close them again at some point.  I can't even imagine how they're going to deal with this when cold & flu season rolls around and half of the kids are sneezing, coughing, etc.  I'd rather just plan for remote learning from the jump as opposed to getting forced into it in November.

My daughter teaches in RISD so I suspect I won’t be seeing much of her come fall.

It’s great that they will be offering some online learning but that doesn’t help the teachers. Rather it just creates even more work for them.

3 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

My daughter teaches in RISD so I suspect I won’t be seeing much of her come fall.

It’s great that they will be offering some online learning but that doesn’t help the teachers. Rather it just creates even more work for them.

Yeah it seems to me that a mix of online and in person  teaching responsibilities would require significantly more time than just one or the other, at least if you want to do a halfway decent job at each. 

5 minutes ago, elfenix said:

3037 cases in Houston area today, 26.8% positivity rate in the city.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/greater-houston-region-records-highest-one-day-total-for-new-covid-19-cases/285-54300fa6-d761-4646-8cce-8fb050910246

Time to watch Lockdown on Netflix

Shit, well at least they have testing. Hays reported 88 cases, but the lack of testing over the last 10 days makes ya wonder. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

1) No decent high speed internet in large areas of most districts.   Some are employing mobile hot spots.  But even so, bad for a family with more than one student because of bandwidth issues. 

I think Lockhart ISD had the right idea, at least for their district. They are using 3 existing towers and building 4 new ones to provide fixed wifi to their students. I know the solution won't work for all districts - you'd have a tough time getting all of gigantic Comal ISD covered with fixed wireless, but dang if that aint the perfect solution for them. Supposed to be ready by the end of July.

LISD to provide internet service to all students countywide

• Like 1

You know what pisses me off the most?  It didn’t have to be this way. I actively hate republicans at this juncture, but I would love it if we could go back to just having policy disagreements because they actually were arguing in good faith. But noooooo. They fucking turned it into a war and now it’s a war they shall have. 

I still have people tell me they hate Trump, but they're not sure they can vote Biden because of 'policy'. Seriously? We're going to pretend this is about policy at this point? How about we get rid of that prick first and then we can worry about policy.
  • Like 2

^^^

Probably the same voters I talk to who don't really like Trump, but have enjoyed his 200+ appointments to the Federal Judiciary...this despite them never having even been aware of our Federal Judiciary hierarchy until Fox News told them about it.  I'm 99% sure most of these people were aware of some local and county judges, and then the U.S. Supreme Court.  Suddenly, everybody's all up on their Article III shit from Junior High.  "Uh, well you know Lobo...now's a great time to get some pragmatic constructionists up in the 8th Circuit.  And did you know the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals and the Federal Court of Appeals are actually very different in terms of jurisdiction despite both being in Washington." 

I'm not judging their ignorance and newfound scholarship, I get most of what I know about the U.S. Attorney federal system from "Billions" 

44 minutes ago, Lobo said:

^^^

Probably the same voters I talk to who don't really like Trump, but have enjoyed his 200+ appointments to the Federal Judiciary...this despite them never having even been aware of our Federal Judiciary hierarchy until Fox News told them about it.  I'm 99% sure most of these people were aware of some local and county judges, and then the U.S. Supreme Court.  Suddenly, everybody's all up on their Article III shit from Junior High.  "Uh, well you know Lobo...now's a great time to get some pragmatic constructionists up in the 8th Circuit.  And did you know the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals and the Federal Court of Appeals are actually very different in terms of jurisdiction despite both being in Washington." 

I'm not judging their ignorance and newfound scholarship, I get most of what I know about the U.S. Attorney federal system from "Billions" 

I like to point out to those people that the on the issues they really care about (abortion, gays, and other social issues) those new judges they sold their soul to get are still siding with the "libs". 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Same.  Even people I grew up liking and admiring I have no use for now.

I wish it was legal to throw rocks at them

8 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Shit, well at least they have testing. Hays reported 88 cases, but the lack of testing over the last 10 days makes ya wonder. 

I know a lot of San Antonio clinics are running out of tests early in the afternoon (this was 2 weeks ago might still be the same now) and switched to appointments only.  thankfully I was able to do a walk-in last month when I needed to be tested at TexMed.  San Antonio's 500 number has me a little worried that the number will be way higher today because of the weekend lag.  Rumors of freezer trucks showing up at area hospitals but haven't seen any pictures yet.

12 hours ago, Okie State said:

An elected 'leader' ignoring experts, never admitting a mistake, throwing others under the bus, putting the public at risk....this sounds familiar.

I still don't understand how it hasn't been a bigger deal with Texans that, once it was obvious he'd made a serious fuckup that had cost thousands of lives, he tried to play off his order that superseded local lockdown orders as some sort of fucking riddle that mayors and county judges were just too stupid to figure out for months. Even in the best light, the one he was trying to paint himself in, he was a fucking comic book supervillain. All because he's too much of a pussy to own his shit.

• Like 4

I had previously posted early in this thing that the MS governor Reeves seemed like an average Southern governor that didn't get it with covid. He's definitely come around. Below is a pretty straight forward series of tweets from him. I will post them as text to avoid the twitter delay: bolding mine.

https://twitter.com/tatereeves/status/1282783831666364422?s=20

Let’s talk about herd immunity. I’ve listened to some people argue that the rapid spread of cases is a good thing, and we need to reach herd immunity in Mississippi and elsewhere to survive. I’m not a health care expert by any means, but I am a math guy. And I have thoughts:

The experts say we need 70-80% of the population to get COVID-19 to achieve herd immunity. Let’s assume they’re wrong (it’s certainly possible, they have been before.) Let’s assume they’re being way overly cautious and we actually only need 40% infection for herd immunity.

In Mississippi, our population is 3 million. We’ve had 36,680 cases so far. We’d need 1.2 MILLION infections to achieve that hypothetical 40% threshold. (Remember, experts say it’s double that.)

Over the last two weeks, our hospital system has started to become stressed to the point of pain. We are seeing the early signs and effects of it becoming overwhelmed. We had to suspend elective surgeries again.

On our worst day of new cases, we had just over 1,000. It has typically been between 700-900 during this most aggressive time. To get to 40% infections, we’d need 3,187 new cases every day for a full year from today. We would need to TRIPLE our worst day—every day—for a year.

I’m not one of these guys that immediately dismisses any idea that challenges the expert status quo talking points. I’m pretty skeptical by nature. That’s healthy. But herd immunity is not anything like a realistic solution in the short or mid-term. I wish it was.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I had previously posted early in this thing that the MS governor Reeves seemed like an average Southern governor that didn't get it with covid. He's definitely come around. Below is a pretty straight forward series of tweets from him. I will post them as text to avoid the twitter delay: bolding mine.

That seems like the smartest thing he's said in months

I still have people tell me they hate Trump, but they're not sure they can vote Biden because of 'policy'. Seriously? We're going to pretend this is about policy at this point? How about we get rid of that prick first and then we can worry about policy.
How about we return to the president running the executive and let the legislative branch fucking legislate policy. The fact that we put the entire direction of our country on the hopes of one person is insane and part of the problem. Obama shouldn't have had to create DACA, Congress should have long ago.
  • Like 3

How about we return to the president running the executive and let the legislative branch fucking legislate policy. The fact that we put the entire direction of our country on the hopes of one person is insane and part of the problem. Obama shouldn't have had to create DACA, Congress should have long ago.
With regard to DACA, if you want that or something similar passed, your quarrel isn't with Congress or the executive, it's with the GOP. Repiblican Congress would've never given Obama popular immigration legislation. GOP had full control of the government after making immigration a central issue and did nothing. Anything the House passes on immigration now, beyond a resolution encouraging mail order brides from the former Soviet bloc, is DOA.

There's a common thread there and it has nothing to do with which branch of government is exercising what powers. You can rinse and repeat this premise for solving most problems in this country.
  • Like 4

With regard to DACA, if you want that or something similar passed, your quarrel isn't with Congress or the executive, it's with the GOP. Repiblican Congress would've never given Obama popular immigration legislation. GOP had full control of the government after making immigration a central issue and did nothing. Anything the House passes on immigration now, beyond a resolution encouraging mail order brides from the former Soviet bloc, is DOA.

There's a common thread there and it has nothing to do with which branch of government is exercising what powers. You can rinse and repeat this premise for solving most problems in this country.
I understand all that. And compromise is for losers . We will be gridlocked for the foreseeable future due to GOP Senators in rural states. That is until the next populist president runs a slicker operation with smarter messaging. A large majority of this country wants a fascist government.

I understand all that. And compromise is for losers . We will be gridlocked for the foreseeable future due to GOP Senators in rural states. That is until the next populist president runs a slicker operation with smarter messaging. A large majority of this country wants a fascist government.
Well, we know ~40 percent want a fascist government. Not a majority there. I do agree that a fascist with a brain and some charisma could do more. I think there are a fair amount of suburban types that would go that route if the alternative was real, foundational change.

I haven't kept up with the Texas thread as well, so apologies if already posted:

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07/14/texas-hospitals-coronavirus/

Snippet of the article:

Texas hospitals are running out of drugs, beds, ventilators and even staff
Many Texas hospitals are no longer accepting transfer patients in order to maintain space for a surge that’s expected to come. In some parts of the state, it’s already here.

A coronavirus patient in Anahuac was flown by helicopter to a hospital in El Campo — 120 miles away — because closer facilities could not take him.

Not to dox myself, but I grew up in El Campo. Parents still live there.  Things are going pretty bad for you if you're being flown to EC for treatment. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I haven't kept up with the Texas thread as well, so apologies if already posted:

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07/14/texas-hospitals-coronavirus/

Snippet of the article:

Not to dox myself, but I grew up in El Campo. Parents still live there.  Things are going pretty bad for you if you're being flown to EC for treatment. 

well damn, hits close to home, just had some former derby girl fun. great stress relief 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

So, the thing about herd immunity that no one mentions is the associated thinning of the herd that comes with it.

My wife broke her foot yesterday, so she had to go to an ER.  Her mom took her to Advent (formerly Metroplex) hospital in Killeen.  No one outside to check people prior to entering for COVID symptoms.  No separate entrances for COVID possible patients.  You enter the waiting area, everyone checks in at the same desk, indoors.  After asking the standard questions, they separate the COVID/flu symptom people to a separate waiting area, but still in the same airspace, as everyone else.  The guy that checked in a few people after my wife was COVID positive, but having worse symptoms so he came in.  This is an actual hospital, in July 2020, not even doing the basics to reduce exposure.  We are fucked.  

EDIT:  She also said the nurse that took her to the room said they had seen 6 COVID positive patients in the ER that day. 

Edited by TXSG8R
  • Like 1