Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

This isn't Texas related, but wanted to let you guys know that you're not alone. It's a nation-wide urban vs. rural split. 

I drove through CA recently and stopped in a few small towns to get gas. Not a single mask in any of the stores I went in despite every store having a "mask required" on the door.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Foosters said:

This isn't Texas related, but wanted to let you guys know that you're not alone. It's a nation-wide urban vs. rural split. 

I drove through CA recently and stopped in a few small towns to get gas. Not a single mask in any of the stores I went in despite every store having a "mask required" on the door.

I say this as someone who grew up in, and works extensively with rural Americans, it’s because they’ve had smoke blown up their asses their whole lives that being rural is being a purer American than anyone else, and thus stuff doesn’t apply to them. 

• Like 5

Never change, SAT:

San Antonio Men's Club is closed per Gov. Greg Abbott's latest order to curb the coronavirus, but found a way to continue providing adult entertainment.

Customers can experience a drive-thru option this weekend in which masked-dancers perform around each vehicle.

RELATED: Friendly Spot, others call on Gov. Abbott to redefine 'restaurant' amid coronavirus so they can open

The club's manager, Albert Cortez, said the drive-thru model debuted Thursday night and will be offered from 6 to 10 p.m. through Saturday.

Cortez said San Antonio Men's Club was inspired by similar businesses throughout the nation who have found alternative ways to operate during the pandemic. A club in Portland received national attention in May for providing social distance-approved dances. Cortez believes the club is the first in San Antonio to offer the option.

"We figured we'd take a stab at it, and try to provide some entertainment for our city and try to generate some money for our staff and independent contractors who work with us during these uncertain times," he said.

When cars drive up to the door, a staff member will take food and drink orders. As customers wait for their to-go bites and beverages, entertainers will dance around the vehicles on small stages for the duration of two songs. Once the tracks are done, guests will drive forward and receive their orders. Dancers are allowed to accept tips, Cortez said.

Cortez provided a photo that shows a tarp conceals the outdoor entertainment from public view.

He said the debut night had a "good" turnout and the team is anticipating a longer line Friday. The club is considering hosting the drive-thru on a regular basis if the shut down continues and customers are receptive.

Online promotions show entry fee is $20 per car. San Antonio Men's Club is located at 8244 Interchange Parkway.

1 hour ago, Royalfan5 said:

I say this as someone who grew up in, and works extensively with rural Americans, it’s because they’ve had smoke blown up their asses their whole lives that being rural is being a purer American than anyone else, and thus stuff doesn’t apply to them. 

It’s like all the rural people got uppity once they finally got electricity and indoor plumbing.

1 hour ago, Royalfan5 said:

Rural America has been fucked over and left behind so incredibly bad the powers that be put in extra effort to keep them blind, poor, ignorant, and voting straight Republican.  The only thing this group of disenfranchised people has left to hang their hats on is their white privilege and fake Christianity, which is now being challenged too. That’s why the the Bible thumping racism works so well as a political tactic in these areas. 

The plight of rural America reminds me of this SNL Black Jeopardy skit where the Trump voter oddly has so much in common with Black people.   

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 3

Rural America has been fucked over and left behind so incredibly bad the powers that be put in extra effort to keep them blind, poor, ignorant, and voting straight Republican.  The only thing this group of disenfranchised people has left to hang their hats on is their white privilege and fake Christianity, which is now being challenged too. That’s why the the Bible thumping racism works so well as a political tactic in these areas. 
The plight of rural America reminds me of this SNL Black Jeopardy skit where the Trump voter oddly has so much in common with Black people.   

Spot-on.

Seriously, rural America has been thoroughly fucked, all while being played by the political sleight-of-hand that they’re the REAL Americans (and you know, the problem is those browns and blacks - they ruined all your opportunity and such). Perfect distraction from the fact that the relentless pursuit of profit, and repeal of regulations, has left them gutted.

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Spot-on.

Seriously, rural America has been thoroughly fucked, all while being played by the political sleight-of-hand that they’re the REAL Americans (and you know, the problem is those browns and blacks - they ruined all your opportunity and such). Perfect distraction from the fact that the relentless pursuit of profit, and repeal of regulations, has left them gutted.

Yeah, it's uncanny that they developed and maintained this "specialness" all the while being ignored and shat on by the powers-that-be.

Trump was the first "boy" to pay some attention to this deluded "little princess" in quite some time and unleashed quite a shitstorm.  It's really a Carrie scenario.

Like several posters, I have thought the US might benefit from being broken up.  But the rift is not so much between coastal city dwellers and cities in the flyover states, it's between city dwellers and a certain species of rural types that are present in every state, plentifully in California and New York, as well as the flyover states and Texas our Texas.

A break-up isn't going to do it.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Yeah, it's uncanny that they developed and maintained this "specialness" all the while being ignored and shat on by the powers-that-be.
Trump was the first "boy" to pay some attention to this deluded "little princess" in quite some time and unleashed quite a shitstorm.  It's really a Carrie scenario.
Like several posters, I have thought the US might benefit from being broken up.  But the rift is not so much between coastal city dwellers and cities in the flyover states, it's between city dwellers and a certain species of rural types that are present in every state, plentifully in California and New York, as well as the flyover states and Texas our Texas.
I guess the good news is that once they find leaders that are actually working in their interests, they'll be leaders that are working in all our interests. I guess.

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

A break up is not the answer.  But others have suggested reshaping the House.  435 Representatives with gerrymandered districts is not the answer.   Add more reps and drawing lines in more logical methodical ways would make more sense. 

41 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

A break up is not the answer.  But others have suggested reshaping the House.  435 Representatives with gerrymandered districts is not the answer.   Add more reps and drawing lines in more logical methodical ways would make more sense. 

I don’t think a break up could be the answer— because once the territories are defined, people would have to move and find their own water (e.g. The racist Bakersfield and Irvine, CA can move to the Republican States of America and liberal Austinites could move to Colorado as part of Liberaltopia). Or people could remain as insurgents and strangers in a strange land, because they like the beach and/or lake and BBQ respectively. That would never work.

200 years ago we could have done it (or even 140 years ago), but now the toothpaste is out I’d the tube.

13 hours ago, Foosters said:

We've been travelling through California for the past week or so, and for the most part everybody has been wearing masks. Maybe close to the Arizona border things were a little lax, but even rural California has been better than Texas was when we left.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Spot-on.

I dunno. Everything is pretty cheap to buy at the local dollar tree and walmart.

So what if old joe from down the block had to close down his hardware store? Do you know how much it cost to buy a hammer there? Plus I hear they’re gonna reopen the local hospital once some more tort reform gets passed. Might still have a Pakistani doctor at it though if they can convince him to move back from Houston. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Ladies, gentlemen, and Surly assholes, we have this year's "No Gestapo in Bastropo":

113242775_10160245576882942_499290230679

NO MASKATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION

Hope they double check the captol’s address before heading off to 1100 SOUTH Congress.

• Like 6

I'm very interested to see more corroboration of those pictures and anecdotes. I'm inclined to believe it at face value, but people sure do love misinformation nowadays. Not throwing stones at Bamachick, but with how shocking those pictures are it'd be good to confirm authenticity

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Running O2 off tanks for vents

I cannot begin to describe how crazy that is. And thats just for starters

The ants go marching through your tubes

Hurrah, Hurrah

Hurrah, hurrah

Ummmm, isn’t this an ICU?

And they all go marching down

To the ground

After eating parts of your brain....

46 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I'm very interested to see more corroboration of those pictures and anecdotes. I'm inclined to believe it at face value, but people sure do love misinformation nowadays. Not throwing stones at Bamachick, but with how shocking those pictures are it'd be good to confirm authenticity

I’ve seen similar reports from that same facility but haven’t posted it here b/c I couldn’t confirm them through credible sources.  Journalists need to step up on this b/c there’s probably some truth to it.  

12 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I’ve seen similar reports from that same facility but haven’t posted it here b/c I couldn’t confirm them through credible sources.  Journalists need to step up on this b/c there’s probably some truth to it.  

If that is true, there is going to be a hell storm as this is outside their facility and has been circling the internet this past weekend.

B81DEE49-935D-441E-9138-BC881288BBD3.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I believe it is difficult for journalists to just go to a hospital and see large numbers of patients because of HIPAA and more generalized privacy concerns.

They can be invited to a single room, but I think it's very difficult to obtain access to a facility or multi-patient ward generally.  Makes it mighty convenient for facility operators who want to be unscrupulous.

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I believe it is difficult for journalists to just go to a hospital and see large numbers of patients because of HIPAA and more generalized privacy concerns.

They can be invited to a single room, but I think it's very difficult to obtain access to a facility or multi-patient ward generally.  Makes it mighty convenient for facility operators who want to be unscrupulous.

Yeah, it’s hard but journalists are asked to go into war zones and hurricanes all the time.  They at least need to attempt to follow up on this stuff.  It reminds me of the tender age shelters/family separation coverage when getting good reporting was difficult but not impossible. 

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yep. Many hospitals have severely limited the number of visitors to see any patient, and they discourage patients bringing someone along with them for an appointment unless the patient needs that person there.  I'm also under the impression that covid patients get 0 visitors. 

And any hospitals PR person worth their salt ain't going to let reporters roam freely through the hospital. They will shadow the invited reporter and guide who they speak with and where they go.

However I'm sure not every hospital has the same rules.

14 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yep. Many hospitals have severely limited the number of visitors to see any patient, and they discourage patients bringing someone along with them for an appointment unless the patient needs that person there.  I'm also under the impression that covid patients get 0 visitors. 

And any hospitals PR person worth their salt ain't going to let reporters roam freely through the hospital. They will shadow the invited reporter and guide who they speak with and where they go.

However I'm sure not every hospital has the same rules.

Yes, that too.

I found myself on Walnut Hill in front of Presbyterian the other day.  The parking lot in front, usually packed, is empty.  A few cars in front of the labor and delivery wing.  To be expected, I guess, but it was bizarre.  I normally don't travel that stretch of Walnut Hill because the traffic is goofy with people turning in and out of the lot and not knowing where they are going.

3 hours ago, bolverk said:

Hope they double check the captol’s address before heading off to 1100 SOUTH Congress.

They should also take not that it won't be at the Capitol as the grounds and building are currently off limits except to elected officials and staff.

3 hours ago, Bookman said:

I'd love to know why Abbott hasn't declared a special session. Should have done it in February or March at the latest.

What would a special session accomplish? That would just turn into a shit show, and probably with less restrictions than what we currently have, which is not a good thing.

Executive Orders are the right way, at this time, to do restrictions etc.

Also note there are legislators and staffers not sure we will even have a regular session starting in January.

10 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Ladies, gentlemen, and Surly assholes, we have this year's "No Gestapo in Bastropo":

113242775_10160245576882942_499290230679

NO MASKATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION

Those dudes are gonna be upset when they show up to 1100 south congress and learn that not only is the Texas state capitol building not there, but also the hookers are long gone. 

Edited by JimmyJames
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

It's really feeling like a Rainy Day to me. Not sure how much Rainier it'd need to be.

Didn't it take them two years after a flood of biblical proportions to *tap it the last time?

I guess it will be 2024 before they get around to it.

*(earmark funds for Harvey relief)

1 minute ago, pantone159 said:

There are a couple of state legislator offices listed at 1100 SOUTH, according to my googles. So maybe this is not actually a typo???

Uh, ok. Would those happen to be republicans? Because their staff apparently sucks. 

Because the capitol is not on south congress  and is north of the river in 78701, not 78704. 

2 minutes ago, pantone159 said:

There are a couple of state legislator offices listed at 1100 SOUTH, according to my googles. So maybe this is not actually a typo???

Except the flyer says to meet at the capitol building which is at 1100 Congress Avenue. So, I'm going with typo.