Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

32 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I have no idea where you are getting your numbers. It isn't from the CDC link provided: total deaths listed for influenza and/or pneumonia stand at 2,141 for Texas.  The upper range for total excess deaths (weighted to account for incomplete reporting) for Texas stands at  8,406 (including Covid). If you exclude covid, the upper range for total excess deaths in Texas is 4,324 (all other causes).  

I'm confident you are misunderstanding the data, but I can't really tell how until you point out what data set you're actually using. 

I'll also add that I don't blame anyone for getting confused by it. The data is grouped in strange ways that aren't, to me at least, consistent with best practices. I believe this is because it is a report of a report, rather than actual raw data from the government data set. 

Possibly. Although I've run it by several people who have a much better professional understanding of statistics than me and they agreed it seemed sound. All depends on if the data is sound. Got it here

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

32 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

Possibly. Although I've run it by several people who have a much better professional understanding of statistics than me and they agreed it seemed sound. All depends on if the data is sound. Got it here

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

Ok, there are a lot of different data sources in that link, but I'm thinking you mean Table 1. 

As discussed previously, those are multi-cause numbers. That roughly 3,000 a year pneumonia average you referenced earlier is for the "underlying cause," not the multi-cause number. The multi-cause (meaning listed anywhere on the death certificate) yearly death average for pneamonia would be much, much larger than 3,000. If you want to compare apples-to-apples, compare your ~3,000 yearly pneumonia average to the 2,141 number I provided above (current underlying cause count). 

The 8,003 pneumonia deaths to date listed include some Covid-19 deaths, i.e., when the death certificate listed both covid-19 and pneumonia (appears to be 1,640 deaths). But, it excludes deaths, including potentially covid-19 deaths, when the death certificate also listed influenza.

I'll summarize the columns of the table for you for clarity:

• Column G (Covid-19 Deaths) lists all deaths where Covid-19 was identified somewhere on the death certificate (not just underlying cause deaths). That number is 3,705.
  • Column H (Total Deaths) lists the total number of deaths recorded. That number is 100,356. 
  • Column J (Pneumonia Deaths) lists all deaths where pneumonia is on the death certificate except those also listing influenza. That number is 8,003.
  • Column K (Pneumonia and COVID-19 Deaths) lists all deaths where both Covid-19 and Pneumonia are on the death certificate except those also listing influenza. That number is 1,640)
  • Column L (Influenza Deaths) lists all deaths where influenza is listed anywhere on the death certificate. That count is 300. 
  • Column M (Pneumonia, Influenza, or COVID-19 Deaths) lists all deaths where either Pneumonia, influenza, or Covid-19 are listed on the death certificate. It necessarily includes all 8,003 pneumonia deaths, all 300 influenza deaths, and all 3,705 Covid-19 deaths. Both the total will be less than the sum of those numbers because there is significant overlap. That number is 10,404. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 1

Good news, I never approved of him.
Now he's lost his conservative buddies too because they view him as a RINO.

I think it took him too long to do what he's done and hasn't gone far enough.
They think he's gone way too far.

And funny, greggy is in the middle getting pummelled.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

His performance sucks. 

That said, how is the Gov of your great state doing? Saw your numbers are climbing. Any updates? 

Y’all Texans are a weird bunch.  I’m in the exact same boat as you.  This isn’t a sports competition. Abbott’s decisions affect me probably more than my governor’s.  I live half an hour from Texas and the virus doesn’t see borders. 

Louisiana’s governor isn’t great either if it makes you feel better. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Louisiana’s governor isn’t great either if it make you feel better. 

Compared to his immediate predecessor, he's pretty good.

I love how hated he is by the republicans in that state - he's a fairly conservative democrat, I'd have problems voting for him for his abortion views.

13 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Y’all Texans are a weird bunch.  I’m in the exact same boat as you.  This isn’t a sports competition. Abbott’s decisions affect me probably more than my governor’s.  I live half an hour from Texas and the virus doesn’t see borders. 

Ummm, I'm pretty sure it's not getting by our brand new border wall with Mexico.The Orange Man out front should've told ya.

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

Good news, I never approved of him.
Now he's lost his conservative buddies too because they view him as a RINO.

I think it took him too long to do what he's done and hasn't gone far enough.
They think he's gone way too far.

And funny, greggy is in the middle getting pummelled.

Stuck between a tree and a hard place

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Bro, I was just asking. Chill out. 

My Lord, almost 200 souls lost.  That's pretty terrible.  Also a new high in hospitalizations.  Positivity is about 15%.  Another bad day.  Cases are starting to tick down a little if we're looking for silver linings.  As a leading indicator, maybe our peak may start ending in about 10 days.

7 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

Ok, there are a lot of different data sources in that link, but I'm thinking you mean Table 1. 

As discussed previously, those are multi-cause numbers. That roughly 3,000 a year pneumonia average you referenced earlier is for the "underlying cause," not the multi-cause number. The multi-cause (meaning listed anywhere on the death certificate) yearly death average for pneamonia would be much, much larger than 3,000. If you want to compare apples-to-apples, compare your ~3,000 yearly pneumonia average to the 2,141 number I provided above (current underlying cause count). 

The 8,003 pneumonia deaths to date listed include some Covid-19 deaths, i.e., when the death certificate listed both covid-19 and pneumonia (appears to be 1,640 deaths). But, it excludes deaths, including potentially covid-19 deaths, when the death certificate also listed influenza.

• Column G (Covid-19 Deaths) lists all deaths where Covid-19 was identified somewhere on the death certificate (not just underlying cause deaths). That number is 3,705.
  • Column H (Total Deaths) lists the total number of deaths recorded. That number is 100,356. 
  • Column J (Pneumonia Deaths) lists all deaths where pneumonia is on the death certificate except those also listing influenza. That number is 8,003.
  • Column K (Pneumonia and COVID-19 Deaths) lists all deaths where both Covid-19 and Pneumonia are on the death certificate except those also listing influenza. That number is 1,640)
  • Column L (Influenza Deaths) lists all deaths where influenza is listed anywhere on the death certificate. That count is 300. 
  • Column M (Pneumonia, Influenza, or COVID-19 Deaths) lists all deaths where either Pneumonia, influenza, or Covid-19 are listed on the death certificate. It necessarily includes all 8,003 pneumonia deaths, all 300 influenza deaths, and all 3,705 Covid-19 deaths. Both the total will be less than the sum of those numbers because there is significant overlap. That number is 10,404. 

This is not going to go over very well with Bob.

14 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

14 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

in Ohio last week (visiting family)...Dewine had a primetime address last Wednesday, after watching i felt even worse about Texas. 

i told my inlaws "i am really, really envious of your republican governor." 😐

the dearth of competent leadership in this country is astounding.

I think Abbott is out to piss off everyone in the state.

TABC reverses new guidelines, forces breweries to close patios again

TABC created an option for temporary license modifications to allow breweries to exclude the patio and outdoor beer gardens from their on premise license - so you could purchase the beer inside, then take it outside to drink. Then last night they reversed that and said they can't do that.

Jesus fucking christ, figure it out. Really, go either way, but this bouncing back and forth within the same  week is insane.

18 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

I was using the state specific info from table 2. 

I was under the impression you had said last time that info was the primary cause of death info. If I got that backwards then my mistake. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

I was using the state specific info from table 2. 

I was under the impression you had said last time that info was the primary cause of death info. If I got that backwards then my mistake. 

It literally can't be, as the very premise of multiple columns in the table is that more than one cause can be associated with a death (e.g., covid-19 AND pneumonia).  Again, it is confusing because multiple data sources, using different methodologies, are available on the same page. The provisional numbers in Table 1 and Table 2 here (https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm) use any cause of death. On the other hand, the excess death count here (https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm) relies on underlying cause of death. I have no idea why they've presented the data in such a confusing fashion. 

TABC created an option for temporary license modifications to allow breweries to exclude the patio and outdoor beer gardens from their on premise license - so you could purchase the beer inside, then take it outside to drink. Then last night they reversed that and said they can't do that.

Jesus fucking christ, figure it out. Really, go either way, but this bouncing back and forth within the same  week is insane.
It's because they are just simply guessing at this time. Bunch of hypotheses but no way to isolate variables to get a true scientific answer.

19 minutes ago, ousuxndallas said:
3 hours ago, relapse98 said:

It's because they are just simply guessing at this time. Bunch of hypotheses but no way to isolate variables to get a true scientific answer.

Nah, this has nothing to do with science or thinking it’s necessary closure to control covid. It’s typical TABC bullshit and politics.

31 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

like the illegal alien caravan that never made it to the border in 2018?

Yup they've drummed up scary shit in the past to scare people into voting for them.  It only stands to reason that the other side also drummed up this current scary shit to get them pushed out.  So of course it will go away after the election.  Just remember, when they say it's going away, it means they are projecting their fake crises actions onto this real crisis.

On 7/23/2020 at 1:53 PM, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Yup they've drummed up scary shit in the past to scare people into voting for them.  It only stands to reason that the other side also drummed up this current scary shit to get them pushed out.  So of course it will go away after the election.  Just remember, when they say it's going away, it means they are projecting their fake crises actions onto this real crisis.

This is exactly why they believe in conspiracy theories.  They would make up insane bullshit to win, so why wouldn't everyone else?

• Hook 'Em 1

Silver lining is cases are starting to come down as well as positivity rate.  We're in the eye of the storm..... gonna be rough for awhile.

We're probably going to get past 6k deaths in the by mid August unless this thing slows down.  The fatality number will be nothing to boast about especially when you consider pop density of the state.

As COVID cases exploded, workers on Texas' $295 million contact tracing deal did little to no work

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/texas-contract-tracing-covid-greg-abbott-tx-glitch-15431931.php

didnt see them name the company, but this was widely panned as a bullshit contract a couple months ago

12 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Silver lining is cases are starting to come down as well as positivity rate.  We're in the eye of the storm..... gonna be rough for awhile.

We're probably going to get past 6k deaths in the by mid August unless this thing slows down.  The fatality number will be nothing to boast about especially when you consider pop density of the state.

If we average 175 deaths a day, we're there by 8/1ish. 

https://www.thedailybeast.com/i-was-a-military-covid-planner-trust-me-texas-is-in-deep-deep-trouble?via=newsletter&source=BI-end-week-digest

Like many of my fellow Texans, I was shocked when Senator Ted Cruz was recently spotted not wearing a mask on a flight from Dallas to Houston as COVID-19 cases were spiking across the state. Pandemic petulance is pretty on brand for the junior senator, but his latest fit of obstinacy comes at a particularly dangerous time: hurricane season.

This is a personal issue for me. Up until my recent retirement from the Army, I served as a COVID-19 crisis planner at NORTHCOM in Colorado Springs. I was part of the team managing this crisis since January, when we first started evacuating U.S. citizens out of China. Further, my active duty military career was bifurcated by a stint in the Army Reserves. During that time, I worked in Emergency Management at the state and local level in Texas. I was in the Texas Emergency Operations Center on Sept. 11, and I’ve worked disasters all over, including several hurricanes. 

And a hurricane in the middle of a pandemic was very much on our minds at NORTHCOM. We started calling it the COVICANE. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration is calling for an above-average Atlantic Hurricane Season this year with a possibility of 19 named storms. We based some of our planning off Hurricane Harvey, which struck Cruz’s hometown of Houston in 2017. Typically, the National Guard and some active duty forces respond to hurricanes to provide things like search and rescue, engineering, and medical support. Rooftop helicopter rescues make for dramatic footage, but the truth is that the military does not do the bulk of the work. Instead, volunteer organizations like the Red Cross lead the effort by managing shelters, feeding the hungry, and processing displaced families. My team looked at how COVID-19 might impact volunteers. What we found was scary.

Spoiler

Foremost, most members of these volunteer organizations are over 60 years old, putting them into the high-risk category for COVID-19. According to the American Red Cross, of their 21,000 trained disaster responders, 42 percent are over the age of 65, 43 percent are between 40-64; and just 13 percent are between 18 and 39. This means the people we need most in a disaster are also among the most vulnerable. The Red Cross says that it has procured PPE for its disaster workers, but we found that other volunteer organizations, given the already nationwide shortage, might not have enough. Everywhere we looked we found data indicating if we failed to flatten the curve, we would be risking the volunteer infrastructure so vital to hurricane response and recovery. It gets worse.

If volunteers aren’t available or if they get sick, the hard work of disaster response would fall on to the only other available pool of manpower: the military. This is problematic in its own way. If a COVICANE response stretches a state National Guard to the breaking point, active duty forces could be deployed to help. The Army only keeps a few active units on standby for what is known as the Defense Support to Civil Authorities mission. In a pinch, untrained active-duty forces could fill the gap and do their best. But the real problems would come after their exposure to the virus in the disaster zone. 

There are only a finite number of military medical personnel to go around, and many of them from places like Fort Carson, Colorado, are already deployed for COVID-19. And even if medical units were available, there is a good chance they would be exposed to the virus and bring it back home to find the doctors who normally work in the clinics and hospitals are gone. Worse, soldiers bringing the virus back home could cause spikes in areas like Colorado that are doing better at containing it. Our hope was we would avoid the worst case COVICANE scenario by flattening the curve this spring. Yet here we are, which brings me back to Senator Cruz.

Cruz’s fateful flight came after a political rally in Granbury, Texas, for a Texas House of Representatives candidate named Jon Francis. (A spokesperson, for what it’s worth, claimed that Cruz only pulled down his mask to sip his coffee.) Pictures and video from the rally at an indoor venue called La Bella Luna show only a handful of masks in sight. La Bella Luna, Senator Cruz’s office, and the Jon Francis campaign all did not respond to my inquiries to clarify mask use at the event.

What is clear is that Granbury and surrounding Hood County have not been spared from COVID-19. As of Friday, according to the Texas Department of State Health Services, Hood County had 223 confirmed cases of COVID-19 with five confirmed fatalities. A representative from the only hospital in Hood County told me that they didn’t have their own “brick and mortar” health department, so all their testing had to be sent north into the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, which is already experiencing its own surge in cases. So, poor social distancing practices at political rallies could hurt an already strained system.

Granbury is 280 miles from Houston, but hurricanes don’t happen in a coastal vacuum. People and patients need to be evacuated inland. Patients needing COVID-19 ICU beds from a hurricane evacuation zone might have nowhere to go. Unchecked community spread could mean volunteer workers might get infected as they do their work, or worse, bring it with them to a shelter or feeding line. And this is just a bad scenario for Texas. The same botched management of the pandemic is happening in Georgia and Florida, with potential nationwide ripple effects if the worst COVICANE scenarios come to pass.

Of course, Senator Cruz knows this, but he doesn’t own the problem. He won’t be among the local, state, and federal officials making life-and-death decisions in the desperate hours before and after landfall. I’m sure he’ll offer his thoughts and prayers, but what he could do right now is lead by example, own up to his recent mistakes, and put on a damn mask. 

29 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Things don’t seem to be slowing at all. Gov Abbott content to ride this out. 

Meanwhile, don’t tell me this isn’t having a political effect:

New daily cases appear to be falling in Texas now after the mask order, but deaths lag by a couple weeks based on the charts here:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/texas-coronavirus-cases.html

(No paywall for NYTimes' Covid coverage.)

36 minutes ago, bolverk said:

New daily cases appear to be falling in Texas now after the mask order, but deaths lag by a couple weeks based on the charts here:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/texas-coronavirus-cases.html

(No paywall for NYTimes' Covid coverage.)

If you have the power to enact policy that has proven effective around the world, why wouldn’t you order shelter in place for hot spot areas? Yes, masks are good but you’ve already got hospital systems set to pick and choose who gets treatment and who dies. Is it enough?

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

If you have the power to enact policy that has proven effective around the world, why wouldn’t you order shelter in place for hot spot areas? Yes, masks are good but you’ve already got hospital systems set to pick and choose who gets treatment and who dies. Is it enough?

Personally, I'd allow the locals to decide when and how to enforce any quarantine orders. And, yeah, what we've got is probably not enough to tamp it down like we're seeing in the Northeast and Europe, but it's all we're going to get from this governor.

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

Personally, I'd allow the locals to decide when and how to enforce any quarantine orders.

You know, I'm usually of a local control kind of guy. I think we should have strong hot spot rules, like he's already done with hospitals and elective surgery. But I don't trust all those officials to do the right thing, hell, I can't even trust the governor to do the right thing. We've already had sheriffs come out and say f your state executive order, I'm not enforcing that. And as far as I can tell, there's nothing that can be done to force them to enforce it outside of the ballot box. The governor doesn't have any power to compel another elected official to do his job besides bullying him.

Personally, I'd allow the locals to decide when and how to enforce any quarantine orders. And, yeah, what we've got is probably not enough to tamp it down like we're seeing in the Northeast and Europe, but it's all we're going to get from this governor.

I would agree except for the fact that places like Bug Tussle will issue no mandatory orders because “MUH FREEDOM!” and then when they all get sick they’ll be transported to hospitals in a place with precautions like Huntsville and put stress and pressure on their hospitals.

Our freedom of movement and inadequate healthcare facilities in rural areas are huge detriments in a pandemic.

1 hour ago, relapse98 said:

You know, I'm usually of a local control kind of guy. I think we should have strong hot spot rules, like he's already done with hospitals and elective surgery. But I don't trust all those officials to do the right thing, hell, I can't even trust the governor to do the right thing. We've already had sheriffs come out and say f your state executive order, I'm not enforcing that. And as far as I can tell, there's nothing that can be done to force them to enforce it outside of the ballot box. The governor doesn't have any power to compel another elected official to do his job besides bullying him.

50 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

I would agree except for the fact that places like Bug Tussle will issue no mandatory orders because “MUH FREEDOM!” and then when they all get sick they’ll be transported to hospitals in a place with precautions like Huntsville and put stress and pressure on their hospitals.

Our freedom of movement and inadequate healthcare facilities in rural areas are huge detriments in a pandemic.

Y'all are both probably right. I guess I would *theoretically* prefer the local option but after looking at Covid discussion on my hometown's "bitch about shit we don't understand" Facebook Group, I don't have a lot of confidence in them doing the right thing either.

7 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Shocking!!!!!  And now do deaths at home who were exhibiting symptoms but hadn't had a positive test who died at home...... Probably another 1k there too.  For folks that thought Texas wasn't suppressing the numbers, welp.

Republican voter:  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Shocking!!!!!  And now do deaths at home who were exhibiting symptoms but hadn't had a positive test who died at home...... Probably another 1k there too.  For folks that thought Texas wasn't suppressing the numbers, welp.

Ya don't say

• Fuck You 1

54 minutes ago, Mapache said:

What a dickhead

I got through 40 seconds of that and moved on.  

6 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Things don’t seem to be slowing at all. Gov Abbott content to ride this out. 

Meanwhile, don’t tell me this isn’t having a political effect:

I wonder how much of that deficit is due to the GOP withholding funds?   I was talking to one of those Blue congressional candidates, Kennedy, just this afternoon.  His opponent is Sessions and he figures that skink will just hit up all those corporate PACs he cultivated the first time around.   

But Rick is within striking distance though.  If any of you are in district 17, go to his site and find the link for a virtual door knocking.  He's scheduling 15 minutes on Zoom for anyone who wants to visit with him.  He spends at least half the day on the phone or in a teleconference of some type.  And btw, he's not swimming in contributions like the graph would have you believe so ante up.  

[/url]  

I was chatting with an EMT today while he was waiting on a patient and he said the number of calls they’ve gotten for unattended at homes deaths has skyrocketed over the last 6-8 weeks.

And given the high demand for tests right now I have to wonder if they have to triage who gets priority. And I imagine dead folks aren’t a priority.

7 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

Ya don't say

You continually prove that you have no understanding of data and how it is reported.  This isn’t a change in total death numbers. It isn’t a change in death causes. It’s how it gets reported. Period. This new news also doesn’t align very well with your “hiding deaths  by reporting them as pneumonia” theory.

8 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

Ya don't say

You do math right? Basic math? No need to call in your expert statisticians for this one. That increase in covid death count is a little over 12%.  Ive continually told you that we are likely undercounting deaths by 25%. The new count is a Trump thing which I am sure twists your little pea brain. Blame Abbott or Trump. Your choice. Choose one. But we both know you will choose both. And then the number is still not high enough for you.

Now that you moved off that argument to focus on the school or no school, stay there. There is no math involved. You can continue to post in complete histrionics your opinion that there shouldn’t be school. By the way I agree with you there but it’s a much more difficult argument than you make it out to be.