Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

5 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Bridge City isd down by port Arthur is going back to school Monday. That’ll be the control group 

I just don't see any way you can open schools safely at this time without more assistance.  If this shit show doesn't get people off their asses to vote the incompetence out of office (all of it) we're totally fucked.

GOP think tank leader says schools should reopen since most Texans dying from COVID-19 are elderly or Hispanic

After @TexasDSHS corrected inaccurate reporting & updated demographics of #COVID19 deaths:

1) 7-day avg deaths peaked on July 14
2) Mostly elderly & Hispanics dying
3) Very few kids die

Why not #openschools, end universal mandates, target vulnerable & check those from #Mexico? pic.twitter.com/mZF8LQolO9

— Vance Ginn (@VanceGinn) July 28, 2020

How else was that supposed to be taken, Vance?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

40% of our population is Hispanic. Apparently, he thinks they all come from Mexico as opposed to, you know, being born here. Also, I'm trying to imagine the policies the GOP would put in place to "target [that] vulnerable" 40%. Maybe regular "welfare checks" [AKA raids] of homes and places of employment, requirement that all Hispanics register with the state (probably as a condition of being eligible to vote), and maybe even some "quarantine zones."

1 hour ago, relapse98 said:

So does this mean Vance is ok with some of the the elderly and Hispanics dying? I mean if it was young white kids that’s a bridge too far. How else can that be interpreted?

• Hook 'Em 1

Paxton's weighing in with his stupidity signed the death warrant for a lot of teachers and parents plus whatever kids aren't just asymptomatic.  
The State of Texas is run by idiots.

Never, ever underestimate how stupid Paxton is. Seriously...don’t. He takes stupid places that stupid didn’t know it could go.

i'm sure this has been mentioned...but i know two teachers that have decided this week to retire before the school year starts.

that's an added difficulty, i hope TPTB have thought about that...their hands having been forced, a good number of those teachers that can retire are likely going to, leaving even fewer teachers to try any sort of 'spacing out' of classes. 

i don't know the answer, i just know there's no good one. i'm sorry for all having to deal with this. 

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

Paxton's weighing in with his stupidity signed the death warrant for a lot of teachers and parents plus whatever kids aren't just asymptomatic.  

I am guessing this is what you are referring to. My school district sent out this email tonight.

Just before noon today, the Texas Attorney General issued legal guidance on the opening of schools for the upcoming school year during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. The guidance states, “While playing an important role in protecting the health of school children and employees, local health authorities may not issue sweeping orders closing schools for the sole purpose of preventing future COVID-19 infections.” The guidance further states, “School officials, both public and private, are the appropriate ones to decide whether, when, and how to open school.”

So just so I understand this correctly, based on our Attorney General in TX he has given permission to the school districts to ignore local health authorities (like doctors and health officials) in order to make the decision to open schools.  My school district announced they will go forward with their plan to open on August 25th even the the county I live in has recommended that schools wait until September 8th.  I don't know what is worse, the dumb ass politicians that are pushing this or the dumb ass people in my neighborhood that are posting this news on Facebook and cheering it on since they can get their free baby sitting and dump their kids back in school.  

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

I don't think it'll hold up in court, the man is an idiot 

Attorney General Ken Paxton released a letter — which is not legally binding — in which he opined that state law does not allow local health authorities to order the closure of schools as a preemptive measure to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus.

It's interesting to me how often I read about a GOP talking point on this board either immediately before or after hearing that exact talking point from my Dad. Just yesterday I said one of the teachers at our kids daycare had apparently tested positive a while back (our kids have been home) and he immediately asks if she's Hispanic because most of the cases are Hispanic. Not really sure what point he was trying to make except to steer clear of Hispanics? (my wife, no pics, is Hispanic). They must have a morning briefing to make sure everyone is on the same page.

• Hook 'Em 1

The Hispanic thing is really something. The GOP has latched onto it as if the virus is somehow more likely to target those with Hispanic genes, rather than the obvious fact that high risk industries like food service and construction have a disproportionately Hispanic workforce. Really telling how they choose to interpret that information.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

The Hispanic thing is really something. The GOP has latched onto it as if the virus is somehow more likely to target those with Hispanic genes, rather than the obvious fact that high risk industries like food service and construction have a disproportionately Hispanic workforce. Really telling how they choose to interpret that information.

The good thing about Texas is there's not many Hispanics that you can catch it from.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have a question for the lawyers on this board.  My kid is about to start at a public high school this year and my district is doing a choice of virtual or in person learning.  We have chosen virtual.  My kid’s school offers “paths” like engineering or business that the kids choose when they start high school and then take courses on those subjects for the next four years.  My question is do the schools have to offer all the courses to both virtual and in person students?  I ask because my kid had planned on doing the engineering path and according to the school that intro class won’t be offered virtually meaning he screws up his 4 years as you have to start that path as a freshman.  I was curious if that is legal to not offer all the kids the same access to all the classes.  I am not suing them or anything just curious.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Cannon fodder in the war to reopen the economy.

I imagine they will say it’s some type of elective type track and those things aren’t “essential” to the basic functioning of the school. It’s bullshit but I am sure they have ways of covering their asses for such circumstances.  Sucks for the kids though. 

1 minute ago, Okie State said:

Is 'kids don't get it' a new talking point? Hadn't heard that one before.

not only do they apparently not get it, apparently they don't spread it either.

somehow we know that despite all of us keeping our kids home for consecutive months now.

• Like 1

I'm no doctor but isn't it, I don't know, science that viruses are spread by all ages?  I mean if we are talking about a cold, the flu, measles, etc... is there a virus that is only spread by humans that are over the age of 18?  Maybe I am wrong on this and will gladly admit to being so but I am pretty sure that people of all ages (including kids) can catch Covid and spread it.  Kids may not get as sick from it as adults but that is a different talking point.

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

That’s just ridiculously stupid. 

That has certainly never stopped them before.

Fuck the GOP and all their enablers.  If you align yourself with them, you deserve nothing but derision and ridicule.  We'd be better off with the Ministry of Silly Walks in charge.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Wow..... over 300 fatalities.  Awful.  Postivity rate is about 12.5% so while we've flattened and found a plateau, it's not looking like it's going to stop anytime soon.

Deaths are lagging. We started seeing hospitalizations increase in, what, the last week of June? And they increased for weeks after that before starting to come down last week. We can expect significant death counts well into August, unfortunately.

5 minutes ago, gmr548 said:
54 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:
Wow..... over 300 fatalities.  Awful.  Postivity rate is about 12.5% so while we've flattened and found a plateau, it's not looking like it's going to stop anytime soon.

Deaths are lagging. We started seeing hospitalizations increase in, what, the last week of June? And they increased for weeks after that before starting to come down last week. We can expect significant death counts well into August, unfortunately.

Yes, they lag, but we also just changed the way we declare data.  Cases are down, positivity is down, but not to levels that indicate a stark declination.  Agree, deaths will continue for a while.  At least 2 more weeks, but need to get cases closer to 4-5k and positivity rates below 10 before we'll see a stark decrease.

12 hours ago, Okie State said:

It's interesting to me how often I read about a GOP talking point on this board either immediately before or after hearing that exact talking point from my Dad. Just yesterday I said one of the teachers at our kids daycare had apparently tested positive a while back (our kids have been home) and he immediately asks if she's Hispanic because most of the cases are Hispanic. Not really sure what point he was trying to make except to steer clear of Hispanics? (my wife, no pics, is Hispanic). They must have a morning briefing to make sure everyone is on the same page.

I’m amazed at how quickly the right/alt right disseminates info.  Your crazy friend on FB, Diamond and Silk, and OAN or someone all magically start talking about the same thing at the same time.  Look at that stupid video yesterday.  Same with Planedmic.

• Like 1

Ive been super careful in all this to the point of getting teased.
That said. Let my son play fall soccer or nah? First tourney is in SA for labor day. Thoughts

Fwiw we aren't doing in person school.
I'm more curious about thoughts on outdoor transmission.

• Hook 'Em 1