Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

Ive been super careful in all this to the point of getting teased.
That said. Let my son play fall soccer or nah? First tourney is in SA for labor day. Thoughts

Fwiw we aren't doing in person school.
I'm more curious about thoughts on outdoor transmission.
Outdoor transmission in general isn't a big cocern but I'd probably avoid a large group contact sport. JMO.

6 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

That said. Let my son play fall soccer or nah? First tourney is in SA for labor day. Thoughts

To each his own but that's a no for me.  

Ive told my kids that they'll stay home for two years if we have to.

Plus the stuff published today about long term heart issues from Covid just reinforces it in my opinion.

It's just not worth it.

Ive talked to my kids about my great grandparent living during 2 World Wars and the Depression and about having to endure tough times. I don't think they really understand but we still talk about it. 

I don't know what is right.  We've made it this far by staying in and not taking unnecessary risks and that's working.  

Good luck with what you decide.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Born to Run said:

That said. Let my son play fall soccer or nah?

I mean, he can already get seriously injured playing soccer.  

437427055.gif

How much worse can Covid be?

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Yes, they lag, but we also just changed the way we declare data.

You keep saying this. It’s wrong. There is no reason to even look at those numbers on a national scale because that data is meaningless.The data regarding cases, positive rate, hospitalizations, and deaths are still being reported at the county and state level. What’s changed is they aren’t reporting more specific hospital numbers to CDC. Did you bother to look at the 40 page pdf of the new requirements? Deaths are getting reported more accurately and timely. If anything this would make Trump look bad. He[s screwed things up epically but so far this doesn’t seem to be one of them.

This sudden and radical decision to change hospital reporting from the CDC to a private third party (TeleTracking) within the Department of Health and Human Services will disrupt established lines of communication and has grave potential to hobble our ability to respond to the pandemic by allocating resources like tests, personal protective equipment and hospital beds, and crafting policies that prevent new infections. Data requirements in an emerging pandemic may not be static; as knowledge and evidence evolve, data systems may need to capture new elements. The CDC is a “trusted broker” of data. This is critical in a pandemic where the financial stakes have never been higher.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/07/28/covid-19-hospital-data-cdc-column/5478847002/

I mean, ok, so your contention is that CDC has been doing a good job? Name a single thing they’ve done. This change may not be a good thing, but it can’t possibly be worse than doing nothing at all. It’s a beauracratic maneuver to stay relevant. As to the bolded, if that’s what CDC has been in charge of they are a complete failure. I’m not sure what the argument is here. 

Trump maybe hasn’t been listening to CDC. I have no clue what they are telling him. He’s not going to magically start listening now. Maybe if we give him his own little data aggregating entity, and the news is bad, he will listen. I doubt it, but it’s a better alternative than doing the same thing we’ve been doing since January.

Texas State asked returning students to Self Quarantine for 2 weeks prior to returning. Great concept, but how many will listen? In my son's case he has a job, is deemed essential. Does this mean he quits now? Also this is not that easy to do when you are moving. 

Here we go. San Marcos is going to see the uptick we all expect. 

11 hours ago, Born to Run said:

My son's team was doing optional practices this summer. I was iffy on it, but I watched the practices and the coach did a great job making sure they kept their distance from each other. They only worked on drills like passing and shooting so they were far apart from each other. During water breaks, the coach put cones on the sideline six feet apart so they knew where to sit and rest. Even at the end of practice when they would usually huddle up and do their cheer, they just did it from wherever they were standing on the field after the last drill. I was cool with it also because this was the only time he got to socialize in-person with his peers and he always looked forward to it.

The season itself got delayed until mid-September. I'm still worried about actual games then though. We've pretty much decided he's going to do virtual school until December.

41 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Texas State asked returning students to Self Quarantine for 2 weeks prior to returning. Great concept, but how many will listen? In my son's case he has a job, is deemed essential. Does this mean he quits now? Also this is not that easy to do when you are moving. 

Here we go. San Marcos is going to see the uptick we all expect. 

We're not going to have that many f2f classes.

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

We're not going to have that many f2f classes.

Nah, I know. I have heard the bitching about increased fees for online classes. So some kids quarantine. Some can't. Now toss them all into dorms/apartment complexes and lets see how that works out. 

Daughters university went 100% online except for people with compelling needs to live in dorms. And they reduced fees for online classes. 

53 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Texas State asked returning students to Self Quarantine for 2 weeks prior to returning. Great concept, but how many will listen?

Do I need to go on my rant again about how we f'ed around and went all ostrich this summer?

Aint a god damned one gonna quarantine for 14 days.

12 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Nah, I know. I have heard the bitching about increased fees for online classes.

$150 per class.  I could literally have done all of my summer class on the McGraw Hill site and use 0 Texas State online resources and they'd still charge $150.  I'd be bitching too if I were a student.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

Pretty much. His weakness and indecision is turning into a real political liability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think that's what it is. My read of Greg Abbott is that he's a purely political creature.  He followed the easy political path before the first wave reached Texas, and then pivoted when it hit and his calculus changed. It's not weakness. He just doesn't seem to  think in terms of practical impact or efficacy. His problem as it stands now is that the reality-based center coalition of Texas politics is now actively rejected by the activist base of the GOP.  To keep the first he has to actually address the crisis and to keep the second he must not.

He can't win without both camps and right now neither trust him.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

$150 per class.  I could literally have done all of my summer class on the McGraw Hill site and use 0 Texas State online resources and they'd still charge $150.  I'd be bitching too if I were a student.

Since I pay my son's tuition I am not that happy about it either. But I guess they need to pay for that bad ass football program somehow. 

9 hours ago, justhookit said:

You keep saying this. It’s wrong. There is no reason to even look at those numbers on a national scale because that data is meaningless.The data regarding cases, positive rate, hospitalizations, and deaths are still being reported at the county and state level. What’s changed is they aren’t reporting more specific hospital numbers to CDC. Did you bother to look at the 40 page pdf of the new requirements? Deaths are getting reported more accurately and timely. If anything this would make Trump look bad. He[s screwed things up epically but so far this doesn’t seem to be one of them.

What the fuck are you talking about?  I'm simply saying that while there will be lags, in the short-term, as Texas catches up with it's new reporting system, there could be and have been larger numbers reported.  

And here....

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07/27/texas-coronavirus-deaths/?utm_campaign=trib-social-buttons&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Edited by Patrick Bateman

On 7/28/2020 at 4:31 PM, Patrick Bateman said:

Since the WH demanded data go to the HHS and not the CDC, hospitalization data has magically disappeared....

I’m talking about this. If I misread your latest post then my bad. It looked to me that you were implying the same thing.

I watched “Versailles” on Netflix a couple of weeks ago (really great show if you like period pieces/historical drama) and they had a storyline about “The Sweat”.

And the physicians all had those plague cone nose masks.

I actually wondered to myself if I could buy one to wear around town.

It would be fun to watch the reactions of the local yokels.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

I watched “Versailles” on Netflix a couple of weeks ago (really great show if you like period pieces/historical drama) and they had a storyline about “The Sweat”.

You can definitely buy those.  Worst case do some online shopping at a new orleans mask shop if you can't find them anywhere else.  They'll have a variety to choose from.

5 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

You're overestimating their knowledge of history.  They'll just compliment you on your "Spy vs Spy" costume.

• Like 2

2ea2d7388ee35d4be5a35270dba94eaf.gif
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Yes and when asked the word of the day is Fidelio.

Up at 430 or 500 to head to the hospital, usually home around midnight, 134 days straight. Let's open up these schools.

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2020/07/health/coronavirus-houston-hospital/

“One of the hardest things to watch was after a man died, they put his belongings in a plastic bag next to him — just basketball shorts, a T-shirt, shoes,” she said. “And it really struck me that this man died without his family and friends being there to say goodbye.

“No one deserves anything like that, and we all have a part to play in making sure that that doesn’t happen to more people in Texas.”