Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

Any more specific report on cause of death? Headline implies it was COVID related but the body reports only that he tested positive.

Unless I misread it.

A bit more here:

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — UPDATE (6:05 p.m.): Nueces County health officials said Freeman died of COVID-19 symptoms at Wednesday's city-county joint news briefing

ORIGINAL: Flour Bluff ISD officials said superintendent David Freeman died Wednesday morning.

"It is with profound sadness that we let you know Superintendent Dr. David Freeman passed away this morning," Flour Bluff ISD stated in a Facebook post. "We are heartbroken and grief-stricken over the sudden loss of our fearless leader."

According to his sister, Lori Cowan, he had been battling COVID-19 for several weeks.

He leaves behind a wife and three children.

"Although he was our superintendent, he was first and foremost a loving and devoted husband and father," the district's post continued. "Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife, Cassie, and their three children--Callie, Brock, and Jenna."

Boys & Girls Club of the Coastal Bend CEO Kim Barrientos said Freeman had served as both a board member and president for the organization. Barrientos said she remembers his kindness.

“With everything that’s going on, Dr. Freeman was always a positive happy individual and everything he did focused around kids and youth,” Barrientos said. “He was very much driven to be an advocate for those individuals and it showed in everything that he did — he was a fantastic person.”

Though Freeman had only been with Flour Bluff ISD for a little more than a year, Barrientos said the mark he would have left would have been “phenomenal.”

If Freeman did die of COVID-19 complications, Barrientos said it makes things for the Flour Bluff community even more real.

“You’re putting a face that everybody knows with something that’s going on,” she said. “The pandemic's out there. It’s real; it doesn’t discriminate against people.”

Sarah Laza is an FBISD high-school teacher who offered her condolences.

“We are all so very heartbroken for the loss of our superintendent and pray for his family, and for our community, and for our district, and that we can all heal,” she said.

Laza said the ongoing threat of COVID-19 is a difficult way for many within the community to begin the upcoming school year.

“It’s starting on a sad note and it’s starting with a lot of uncertainty and a lot of unanswered questions,” she said. “I think not just from staff and administrators, but all the way to her parents and just in general the community is grasping for answers.”

The district has school counselors available for students and faculty to talk through emotions or grief.

Former superintendent Joe Kelley will fill the position as acting superintendent until further notice.

Flour Bluff ISD Board President Shirley Thornton sent us the following response Wednesday afternoon.

"In times of sudden loss and deep sadness, it is hard to express our feelings in words. Today’s devastating news about the passing of our District’s Superintendent, Dr. David Freeman, has many of us searching for the best way to understand a loss as immense as this.

My colleagues on the Flour Bluff ISD Board of Trustees and I are also experiencing great sorrow. Our hearts are broken for his wife and children, his father and sister, extended family, and friends. We send our love and support to each of them.

Just a little over a year ago, we welcomed Dr. Freeman, his wife and children into the Hornet Family. We were excited to have him lead us to becoming a “premier” school district. His first year at the helm of FBISD did not start off smoothly. Somehow, he saw us through numerous electrical outages, AC issues, and a school closure. Despite those issues, the Board was confident in David’s leadership to ensure we continued providing a high-quality level of instruction for our students no matter what obstacles came our way. When faced with a problem, David didn’t panic. He calmly thought it through and made a decision to work on a solution. When he shared all that he went through in this process, he always ended it with a smile and the words, “It’s all good. We’ve got this.” Dr. Freeman saw each obstacle as an opportunity to shine, and he would expect that of all us right now.

The wheels Dr. Freeman set in motion will continue. The Board is working closely with our acting superintendent, Joe Kelley. He has been busy learning what David’s wishes were for the District and quickly getting up to speed to move forward. We are blessed that a man with extensive knowledge and great love of the district has agreed to carry the torch for David. We look to our students, staff, parents, and the community to help us remain on this path forward. We are focused on keeping our students’ educational success at the forefront of all we do.

These next few months will not be easy. We have many challenges to overcome. Our District will do what we have always done…persevere!

Please continue to keep Dr. Freeman’s family in your continued thoughts and prayers. The Board and District will surround his wife Cassie and their children with all the love and support they need at this time. We ask that you provide them the space and privacy they may need to grieve.

Thank you to our community for your outpouring of love and support for our District."

https://www.kristv.com/news/local-news/flour-bluff-superintendent-david-freeman-dies-wednesday-morning

Let me tell you all a story about why Texas is just so fucked.
I know a guy who tested positive 2 or 3 weeks ago.  He became very sick, along with his wife (a RN), his son, his 8 month pregnant daughter in law and his grandson.  All were varying levels of sick, with the husband the worst of the lot.  
He was told before he became ill that he had been exposed by his cousin, who had tested positive.  Cousin and wife had came to their home for a brief visit.
Now, that should be the end of the story, but today found out the rest.  Turns out the cousin and his wife are from the Houston area.  Couple was traveling and just dropped by for a visit.  Ended up staying a night or two.  
After the guy became ill, cousin confessed.  He KNEW he was positive, but asymptomatic and traveled anyway.  Wife was positive as well.  Neither told anyone they were ill, wore masks, you get the idea.
So cousin and wife traveled to another state, infecting God knows how many other people on their travels beside guy I know and his family (some who became very ill) and to top it off.....
....own 3 sub sandwich franchise locations in the Houston metro area.  Worked at all three locations....while positive.  I have no idea on locations, nor name of the individuals.  But they need their asses whipped. 

Sounds like an opportunity for a lawsuit to take every mother f*cking penny that asshole earned from his sub shops
  • Hook 'Em 1

Man. Sounds like anyone with a brain is bailing on public schools.

This means that private schools are going to be stretched with the influx and home-schooling will probably 10x. 

2020 is really going to be the "Lost Year", into the first part of 2021 as well. 

10 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Man. Sounds like anyone with a brain is bailing on public schools.

This means that private schools are going to be stretched with the influx and home-schooling will probably 10x. 

2020 is really going to be the "Lost Year", into the first part of 2021 as well. 

Private schools aren't going to be any better at stopping the spread.  Quite a few of them will actually be worse because they will follow absolutely no preventative measures because Jesus is going to save them.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Private schools aren't going to be any better at stopping the spread.  Quite a few of them will actually be worse because they will follow absolutely no preventative measures because Jesus is going to save them.

Probably. But the one my kids go to and my peers/friends who have kids go to, it looks like not only are they going overboard with preventative measures, but they aren't beholden to state/federal services for kids that are bad news for the virus-- such as being able to mandate parents pick up/drop off kids (no bussing) and mandating bring your own lunch from home (no cafeteria service/free/reduced lunch programs).

That along with the naturally smaller student to teacher ratios and overall class sizes (typically anywhere from 8 to 10 students per teacher on the high end), where there will be 6 feet separation in classrooms and mandating temperature checks twice a day in the AM and PM makes me think most private schools are probably better positioned to educate kids in person than the Georgia high schools of the world that we saw earlier this week.

This is not including all the basic table stakes stuff like a ramped up sanitation plan, not allowing the sharing of learning tools/resources, no PE/recess, and mandatory masks as part of the uniform expectation.

Edited by Rougarou

Speaking of that Georgia HS, that student was suspended for posting the photo of the crowded hallway. Whenever an admin does something stupid like that, I keep waiting for ALL the students to do it. They can't suspend everyone. Not how it works out usually, but I do wish students would fight the stupid stuff in large numbers as some admins are power hungry bullies.

14 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Speaking of that Georgia HS, that student was suspended for posting the photo of the crowded hallway. Whenever an admin does something stupid like that, I keep waiting for ALL the students to do it. They can't suspend everyone. Not how it works out usually, but I do wish students would fight the stupid stuff in large numbers as some admins are power hungry bullies.

That's absurd. What rule was broken to be suspended? Can you not take photos at HS now? We had digital cameras before iPhones really took off and could take photos. Maybe I'm just old.

17 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Nevermind I googled it. This is why they were suspended, technically ""The policies I broke stated that I used my phone in the hallway without permission, used my phone for social media, and posting pictures of minors without consent," she said."

But we all know why they were really suspended.

Yep. Although, my son's school has a similar policy (regarding minors), it has only been enforced when a coach discovered some older cheerleaders taking pics in the locker room and the person taking the pic was of age, but many in the pic were minors  (due to the state of undress).

13 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Yep. Although, my son's school has a similar policy (regarding minors), it has only been enforced when a coach discovered some older cheerleaders taking pics in the locker room and the person taking the pic was of age, but many in the pic were minors  (due to the state of undress).

09e.png

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Rougarou said:

This means that private schools are going to be stretched with the influx

Private schools, what a freaking disaster those already are. No certification required for teaching at one. We have a few acquaintances that 'teach' at private school. I would not waste a dime on them.

44 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

Private schools, what a freaking disaster those already are. No certification required for teaching at one. We have a few acquaintances that 'teach' at private school. I would not waste a dime on them.

Just like with public schools, or anything in life really, not all private schools are created equal so definitely do your due diligence if you go that route, I think you are saying and I agree!

It was quite the little ruckus because the politics of cheerleading are intense. The dynamics between the cheerleading and football programs and their respective parent groups is quite fascinating to watch. One of my children made a tidy sum tutoring students from both groups on prepping for the SAT/ACT up until this spring. The witnessing of local law enforcement turning away from some student *illegal behavior vs other depending upon the parentage was a good life lesson for him.

*Not in this instance with the phone, but other illegal activities.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
Edit-responding to the previos page

On 8/5/2020 at 6:47 PM, Francisco 2.0 said:

I know a guy who tested positive 2 or 3 weeks ago.  He became very sick, along with his wife (a RN), his son, his 8 month pregnant daughter in law and his grandson.  All were varying levels of sick, with the husband the worst of the lot.  

He was told before he became ill that he had been exposed by his cousin, who had tested positive.  Cousin and wife had came to their home for a brief visit.

Now, that should be the end of the story, but today found out the rest.  Turns out the cousin and his wife are from the Houston area.  Couple was traveling and just dropped by for a visit.  Ended up staying a night or two.  

After the guy became ill, cousin confessed.  He KNEW he was positive, but asymptomatic and traveled anyway.  Wife was positive as well.  Neither told anyone they were ill, wore masks, you get the idea.

So cousin and wife traveled to another state, infecting God knows how many other people on their travels beside guy I know and his family (some who became very ill) and to top it off.....

....own 3 sub sandwich franchise locations in the Houston metro area.  Worked at all three locations....while positive.  I have no idea on locations, nor name of the individuals.  But they need their asses whipped. 

At some point, if this behavior isn't going to be punishable as a crime, it should be legally acceptable to beat the shit out of people like that.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/5/2020 at 6:47 PM, Francisco 2.0 said:

By the way, this would be a very interesting lawsuit.  I definitely think your friend could file a negligence claim against his cousin to recover medical bills and whatever other damages he may have.

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

By the way, this would be a very interesting lawsuit.  I definitely think your friend could file a negligence claim against his cousin to recover medical bills and whatever other damages he may have.

Pain and suffering sounds like a $1.5 million issue to me. 

Our (actually I live right over the line in Guadalupe) health department posts daily Covid updates.
Every day I read the comments and am just floored by some of the responses.

Today's is a great example. They post the numbers and get shit back like this from the nut jobs:

Teresha Nelson Comal County, Texas you are dishonest and evil spreading fear because your being incentivized! How much kick backs are big pharma giving you for the worthless drug remdesiver and for killing people on ventilators!?

3 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

Our (actually I live right over the line in Guadalupe) health department posts daily Covid updates.

Today's is a great example. They post the numbers and get shit back like this from the nut jobs:

Teresha's co-commenter, Allen Tribe, along with Tersha, herself, should probably go isolate themselves somewhere so they don't have to be around us "sheep," to use their term. I think they should perhaps relocate to Area 51.

41 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

That Teresha chick is on the San Marcos FB page, too.  She's a completely moronic lunatic.

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

That Teresha chick is on the San Marcos FB page, too.  She's a completely moronic lunatic.

She is, apparently, a local realtor.  One might think it necessary to keep one's lunacy to oneself in that sort of profession.  I guess nutbags buy and sell houses too.

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

She is, apparently, a local realtor.  One might think it necessary to keep one's lunacy to oneself in that sort of profession.  I guess nutbags buy and sell houses too.

She's actually an infectious disease expert -- an amateur epidemiologist who "studied film at El Centro College."

She kept calling San Marcos shutting down the river parks "a Communist decision" and multiple people pointed out that she obviously had no fucking clue what Communism actually is.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 1

AUSTIN (KXAN) — Newly-elected Republican Party of Texas Chair Allen West told KXAN he’s “heavily concerned” with a $295 million contact tracing contract that the state awarded to a Frisco-base firm, without approval from the state legislature, which is now the source of a lawsuit facing Gov. Greg Abbott.

In an interview on Thursday, West, who opposed the statewide mask mandate to slow the spread of coronavirus, would not say whether rank-and-file Republicans have lost confidence in Abbott.

He did say, however, that “everyone” should be concerned with how the contract was awarded to MTX Group, Inc.

Republican lawmakers sue Gov. Greg Abbott over state’s $295 million contact tracing contract 
“You don’t have an executive branch that can go out and write a check without that legislative approval,” West said.

Abbott’s office did not respond to a request for comment from KXAN on Wednesday. The lawsuit was filed by five Texas Republican lawmakers in Travis County District Court on Monday, claiming Abbott violated competitive bidding laws and separation of power by awarding the contract to MTX Group, Inc.

The lawsuit claims Abbott exceeded the additional power he was granted during the COVID-19 disaster declaration.

“The first reason to invalidate the contract is that DSHS materially failed to follow competitive bidding rules in awarding the Texas-MTX contract,” the lawsuit states. “The second reason to invalidate the contract is that the Texas Constitution requires a separation of powers, and that separation leaves policy-making decisions with the Texas legislature.”

Contact tracing is the process of tracking down individuals for isolation and testing who may have come in contact with someone infected by COVID-19.

The Texas Democratic Party issued a statement calling the contract a “sweetheart” deal between Abbott and MTX Group, Inc.

“Choosing an unqualified COVID-19 contact tracing company on the same day that two Republican megadonors were hired by the company makes the corruption clear as day,” said Abhi Rahman, director of communications for the Texas Democratic Party.

The lawsuit seeks damages of $100,000 or less and “non-monetary relief and all other relief to which they may show themselves entitled.”

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas-politics/heavily-concerned-texas-gop-chair-weighs-in-on-lawsuit-facing-gov-greg-abbott

45 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

she obviously had no fucking clue what Communism actually is.

That's just a word people use these days. They usually throw it out with libtard, socialist, marxist, leftist, all that shit. When you see a word salad like that - time to move on, not even worth talking to.

Neighbors teenage kids had a big party last night.  Fucking assholes. 
Was out paddling on the lake last night. Rich asshole had 40 plus teens for a party with zero fucks given.

My ex's family is also having a gathering with around 35 people all staying in the same house.

American Exceptionalism

One of our neighbors also held a birthday party this week but they seemed to make an effort at doing it somewhat safely; everyone we saw, including the children, wore masks and it was entirely outside in their side yard for about an hour. I was surprised they all wore masks outside, but I think they were trying to make it as safe as possible for a grandparent attendee. Our counts and hospitalizations are down locally, but school begins next week so we'll see how that goes....

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, is there anybody postulating that keeping kids learning from home for a few months is gonna somehow boost GDP?  

I mean unless we're talking about Big Broadband, Big Used Modular Furniture, Big Tablets, and Big Garage Box Fans...those are obviously the people behind this virus and behind shutting our schools down.  I don't like Chuck Schumer, he shouldn't on this non-political thread, and I also don't understand that it's some massive "Gotcha" moment to have found some elected officials indicating opening our schools would be a better alternative to what's about to happen...but that unfortunately...it's not safe to do right now.  I think most of us accept that the adult landscape with regard to Covid-19 is overly-bifurcated and perhaps beyond reproach.  But that when it comes to our children, there is  "Listen to Reason...or go off and die in a fire because you're nothing but a liability to the rest of us at this point.  You always were, but at least you had the decency to shut the fuck up about it."  

24 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, is there anybody postulating that keeping kids learning from home for a few months is gonna somehow boost GDP?  

I mean unless we're talking about Big Broadband, Big Used Modular Furniture, Big Tablets, and Big Garage Box Fans...those are obviously the people behind this virus and behind shutting our schools down.  I don't like Chuck Schumer, he shouldn't on this non-political thread, and I also don't understand that it's some massive "Gotcha" moment to have found some elected officials indicating opening our schools would be a better alternative to what's about to happen...but that unfortunately...it's not safe to do right now.  I think most of us accept that the adult landscape with regard to Covid-19 is overly-bifurcated and perhaps beyond reproach.  But that when it comes to our children, there is  "Listen to Reason...or go off and die in a fire because you're nothing but a liability to the rest of us at this point.  You always were, but at least you had the decency to shut the fuck up about it."  

Fucking Big Box Fan always having their grimy ass hands in the till

• Hook 'Em 1

Taking our son back to *mumbles place* tomorrow. 5 of his 6 classes are online. I think his mentoring of first generation students might be in person.
He wants to go back and live mostly in his dorm room. We'll see how this goes. We let him make the call, I was good either way (though I am a little tired of him being home for 5 months).
He's been working at "America's Favorite Waterpark" in the gift shops and their rules are pretty strict - everyone must wear a mask in the store, no try on, no returns, so it's cut down on people - and seems to have done ok. We'll see how he does around 60k college aged kids making questionable decisions.