Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

11 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

Taking our son back to *mumbles place* tomorrow. 5 of his 6 classes are online. I think his mentoring of first generation students might be in person.
He wants to go back and live mostly in his dorm room. We'll see how this goes. We let him make the call, I was good either way (though I am a little tired of him being home for 5 months).
He's been working at "America's Favorite Waterpark" in the gift shops and their rules are pretty strict - everyone must wear a mask in the store, no try on, no returns, so it's cut down on people - and seems to have done ok. We'll see how he does around 60k college aged kids making questionable decisions.

I feel bad for anyone with kids. This sucks. There's no decent way to raise them in this looney tunes environment. 

On 8/7/2020 at 10:56 PM, 4th&Five said:

13 cars parked outside my neighbors house for a kids bday party. Fucking assholes. 

Basically I assume that everybody is lying about social distancing, and is running around breathing their moron breath on everybody.

(At this point I actually prefer the "It's a hoax!" crowd, because I KNOW they're morons, unlike the sneaky fucks acting like they mask up, then you see on their FB they're all mobbed up in a moron-breath crowd.)

tldr: Fuck teaching, gonna help worthless moron spawn cheat on their homework for dog-choking sums of money. Gonna call it "tutoring."

I don't get it. Is there any doubt that not opening the schools will hurt the economy -- at least given how we judge the economy?
Five months into this and people in America still don't grasp that the number one economic issue isn't measures to curb the virus, but the virus itself.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, gmr548 said:
On 8/8/2020 at 11:09 AM, Bookman said:
I don't get it. Is there any doubt that not opening the schools will hurt the economy -- at least given how we judge the economy?

Five months into this and people in America still don't grasp that the number one economic issue isn't measures to curb the virus, but the virus itself.

That’s only if you place much value on human life.

27 minutes ago, elfenix said:
On 8/8/2020 at 1:29 PM, BradInATX said:
Fucking Big Box Fan always having their grimy ass hands in the till

I've never thought of Vic Mackey as a grifter

Not small penis, but wide vagina 

On 8/3/2020 at 10:33 AM, TwiceHorn said:

So this seems like a bad idea.  Judge Rodney Gilstrap in Marshall is pushing a big patent trial to trial in August over Apple's objection.

https://www.scribd.com/document/470894156/20-07-21-Order-Denying-Apple-Motion-to-Continue-Trial#from_embed

Marshall itself seems to be full of covidiots, but Gilstrap is an Obama appointee, but as a Baylor grad probably subject to idiocy.

Welp, Apple is now a half billion poorer pending appeal.

Another judge out there, slightly less inculcated with the rocket docket, granted a covid-based continuance, also to Apple.

Hospitalizations continue to fall which is very good.  Positivity is has spiked as testing has fallen off a cliff.  Deaths continue to accumulate and we crossed over the 9k threshold of Texans who have died.  At this rate, we may chase down California who is having their own issues, but at 4th for deaths, 3rd for cases, and 4th in active cases, it's clear Texas could have handled this..... a bit better.  

20 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Hospitalizations continue to fall which is very good.  Positivity is has spiked as testing has fallen off a cliff.  Deaths continue to accumulate and we crossed over the 9k threshold of Texans who have died.  At this rate, we may chase down California who is having their own issues, but at 4th for deaths, 3rd for cases, and 4th in active cases, it's clear Texas could have handled this..... a bit better.  

Are the two related? honest question.

The Positivity Rate in Texas is 21%!

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200810/rate-of-positive-texas-covid-19-tests-is-at-21-highest-recorded

New York currently is running positivity rates lower than 1%, which is mind-bottling.

https://www.axios.com/new-york-lowest-covid-19-positive-test-rate-cf0468e3-f2b8-4881-ac59-4bf343db3bc6.html

Edited by yoladu

Having lived in Decatur (not by choice) for the last year, I can't say that I'm surprised. My neighbors have approximately 15 cars parked around the cul-de-sac on any given evening, so the people out here are really testing their luck.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

I'm not an expert, but if tests are being limited to those who are showing the most obvious symptoms, then yeah. Positivity rate would increase as numbers of tests are decreased.

That is exactly why positivity has increased.

Wasn’t sure where to put this exactly, but Eric Nahlin seems like he sucks. I also want Texas to play football this fall but he has been such a prick on Twitter this week. Dude has never met a straw-man he couldn’t run into the ground. 
Recruiting beat writers aren't typically known for their intellect.

6 minutes ago, gmr548 said:
1 hour ago, UncleSonny said:
Wasn’t sure where to put this exactly, but Eric Nahlin seems like he sucks. I also want Texas to play football this fall but he has been such a prick on Twitter this week. Dude has never met a straw-man he couldn’t run into the ground. 

Recruiting beat writers aren't typically known for their intellect.

What about that one dude that cleans pools

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

While  Sam Houston has postponed all athletics until spring, our local 2A school an hour away is eyeing a shot at district!!!   I mean the fucking denial is going to hit like a ton of bricks.   My son is a senior and opted to distance learn the first 6 weeks, then reassess.   All the high school kids were told they would be kicked out of FFA (2 things here, ag and athletics)  if they didn't come in for in-person.  No one doing distance learning would participate in extra curricular.   Kind of makes sense, but at the same time is being wielded as a club to get these kids back on campus.   

Has anyone heard any local schools setting triggers for re-closure, like X amount of cases, or a set percentage, heaven forbid deaths?   

This is completely at Trump's feet.  No way anyone can argue differently once this fully starts to blossom.   That idea of another 15K deaths in Texas by Labor Day isn't that preposterous.  

5 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

While  Sam Houston has postponed all athletics until spring, our local 2A school an hour away is eyeing a shot at district!!!   I mean the fucking denial is going to hit like a ton of bricks.   My son is a senior and opted to distance learn the first 6 weeks, then reassess.   All the high school kids were told they would be kicked out of FFA (2 things here, ag and athletics)  if they didn't come in for in-person.  No one doing distance learning would participate in extra curricular.   Kind of makes sense, but at the same time is being wielded as a club to get these kids back on campus.   

Has anyone heard any local schools setting triggers for re-closure, like X amount of cases, or a set percentage, heaven forbid deaths?   

This is completely at Trump's feet.  No way anyone can argue differently once this fully starts to blossom.   That idea of another 15K deaths in Texas by Labor Day isn't that preposterous.  

There is no plan.

Your leaders have failed you.

You are on your own.

This is what winning looks like.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Kicking kids off teams and banning them from extracurricular activities if they opt to do online???

That’s absolutely horrible.

Yep.  And now that school has started, those doing in person are shaming the ones staying at home.  But he takes it well, because he's well read enough to realize that in the not too distant future many of those jeering will be at home too, doing what he's doing now.  But they stand a better chance of dealing with covid up close and personal than he does.  

We are a typical rural small school.  There are some really good points, but one of the bad points is we can't afford to hire the brightest administrators.  But then I'm not sure even bright would help in this quagmire caused by the state politicians and Trump.   

The real proof in the pudding will be when they have to shut down again and move back to distance learning.  Did our administration properly prepare for the worst, while hoping for the best?  Or have they just taken the easy way out and played dumb?  My money is on the latter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pyrohornIII said:

We are a typical rural small school.  There are some really good points, but one of the bad points is we can't afford to hire the brightest administrators.  But then I'm not sure even bright would help in this quagmire caused by the state politicians and Trump. 

Mrs.LL is good friends with a board member for our District.  Between the Board and the administrators, I think we're as well staffed as any district in the state.  But we're getting absolutely no help or guidance from the state.  We're doing our best--it's going to be remote for the first three weeks, at least--but it's still going to be a clusterfuck.

Mike Morath needs to fucking go.  His failure on this is an absolute scandal.

5 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

Yep.  And now that school has started, those doing in person are shaming the ones staying at home.  But he takes it well, because he's well read enough to realize that in the not too distant future many of those jeering will be at home too, doing what he's doing now.  But they stand a better chance of dealing with covid up close and personal than he does.  

The real proof in the pudding will be when they have to shut down again and move back to distance learning.  Did our administration properly prepare for the worst, while hoping for the best?  Or have they just taken the easy way out and played dumb?  My money is on the latter.

Interesting, i get the impression AISD has subtly hinted, that for the initial school opening those who can do virtual learning, please choose that stay home option and let those who either don't have the means (no laptops, no internet connection, working parents) or those who benefit from school breakfast lunch programs to start attending in person.

Of course, it is the poor who get to be the guinea pigs, but i feel like it was framed that "hey, if you can do it from home at the start, please stay at home."

Edited by yoladu

On 8/13/2020 at 3:17 PM, yoladu said:

Are the two related? honest question.

The Positivity Rate in Texas is 21%!

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200810/rate-of-positive-texas-covid-19-tests-is-at-21-highest-recorded

New York currently is running positivity rates lower than 1%, which is mind-bottling.

https://www.axios.com/new-york-lowest-covid-19-positive-test-rate-cf0468e3-f2b8-4881-ac59-4bf343db3bc6.html

On 8/13/2020 at 3:30 PM, SquishMitten said:

I'm not an expert, but if tests are being limited to those who are showing the most obvious symptoms, then yeah. Positivity rate would increase as numbers of tests are decreased.

This is correct..... at least partially.  There also is the issue of result lag which is gotten to be ridiculous, therefore, some folks aren't getting tested as they may not get the results for a week or sometimes 2.  Another issue, is some employers are no longer requiring negative tests to come back to work, which could promote asymptomatic folks from spreading the virus.  It's not a silver bullet involved but typically less testing isn't good for containment applications.  Hospitalizations coming down is very encouraging though, but we'll see what happens with schools opening.

On 8/14/2020 at 12:25 AM, pyrohornIII said:

While  Sam Houston has postponed all athletics until spring, our local 2A school an hour away is eyeing a shot at district!!!   

i was in calallen over the weekend (bored housewives of calallen) - while the nfl, mlb and the nba have banned people in the stands, texas hs football will have people in the stands / cheer / drill team / band. i just rolled my eyes and wondered what time those bikini tops were coming off 

15 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

i was in calallen over the weekend (bored housewives of calallen) - while the nfl, mlb and the nba have banned people in the stands, texas hs football will have people in the stands / cheer / drill team / band. i just rolled my eyes and wondered what time those bikini tops were coming off 

7VjnELpeRfaPxFU33pnAJUcG8I_OEFEWDiVN3Lmf

• Hook 'Em 1

Our district (Humble) has said they will not release publicly when there is a case or school closure.  We'll find out by word of mouth until it's bad enough to get picked up by the news. 

So if 3rd grade Johnny's math class is quarantining because he has Covid but he has a 7th grade sister at the middle school and a freshman brother in high school you wont know unless you had a kid in Johnny's class or Nextdoor/Facebook/Name your favorite social media shithole blows up. 

So we got that going for us which is nice.

8 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Our district (Humble) has said they will not release publicly when there is a case or school closure.  We'll find out by word of mouth until it's bad enough to get picked up by the news. 

So if 3rd grade Johnny's math class is quarantining because he has Covid but he has a 7th grade sister at the middle school and a freshman brother in high school you wont know unless you had a kid in Johnny's class or Nextdoor/Facebook/Name your favorite social media shithole blows up. 

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

Holy shit, did they state any actual reason for that?

1 hour ago, Hefeweizen said:

Yes the reason is fuck you don’t ask.

Remote is coming for everyone.  There are just some who are still in denial.

Yep. Our distric is heavily Trumptard.  Lots of people did not want to start online. We're supposed to let those who want back in the class start on the 24th unless they pull their heads out in the next 3 days.