Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

My buddy works in the healthcare field. His co-worker’s wife tested positive for COVID-19. This co-worker was asymptomatic but tested positive too. He is the only fucker in the office who doesn’t wear a mask and has to be told to put it on.

The whole office got tested and 12 people are now positive. Every single positive is asymptomatic. WTF. I can’t believe shit is opening up like this in Texas.

1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

Coming back to the beach thing - what type of respectable beach lets you drive your car on it? Lived in CA for 8 years and never saw this, and it's off limits on Lake Michigan as well. 

Why do you hate freedom ?

16 minutes ago, MrBig said:

My buddy works in the healthcare field. His co-worker’s wife tested positive for COVID-19. This co-worker was asymptomatic but tested positive too. He is the only fucker in the office who doesn’t wear a mask and has to be told to put it on.

The whole office got tested and 12 people are now positive. Every single positive is asymptomatic. WTF. I can’t believe shit is opening up like this in Texas.

12 out of how many?

2 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I don’t mind getting a little personal, we’re all adults. I had an upset stomach yesterday with diarrhea all day and most of last night. Not like severe diarrhea, but I was in the bathroom about 10 times yesterday and last night. Today still some GI malaise but no diarrhea yet (but as I type that of course my tummy starts rumbling). I still get hungry, which I always take as a positive sign. 

Been checking my temp multiple times today, and it’s ranged from 99.3-100.3. Some very minor aches. No cough or shortness of breath. I’m hoping it’s just something I ate 🤞🏽 

latest?cb=20130523165243

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Gotta keep the economy rolling along

spacer.png

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

That seems like a high percentage.

12/35 is very high. This office does temperature checks on every employee before entering the building. Everyone who is positive is asymptomatic. If it can spread this fast in an office, I can’t imagine how fast it’s going to keep spreading among the general public. Especially when people have no reason to suspect they are sick. San Antonio got 93 more cases in the past 3 days alone. We’re just getting started in Texas.

4 minutes ago, MrBig said:

12/35 is very high. This office does temperature checks on every employee before entering the building. Everyone who is positive is asymptomatic. If it can spread this fast in an office, I can’t imagine how fast it’s going to keep spreading among the general public. Especially when people have no reason to suspect they are sick. San Antonio got 93 more cases in the past 3 days alone. We’re just getting started in Texas.

Where is your office (edit - her office)? 

Edited by MidTexHorn

15 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I think this isn’t limited to the beaches.   I went to Six Flags in Arlington a year or two ago for the first time in probably 15 years (at least).  My happy place died that day.  Now I just question whether my fond childhood memories were accurate.  “Am I just forgetting that I rode the Log Flume with a fat chola and a guy with neck tats when I was 8?  Did I block that part out, along with all the trash everywhere?”   

Had the almost exact same experience. I chalked it up to Arlington/Grand Prairie and Irving becoming Coahuila or Tamulpas Jr., much in the same way Garland and Richardson is Ho Chi Minh City Jr., so now you have a bunch of cholo's and neck tat's and otherwise running around ruining childhood memories, back when it wasn't socially acceptable to visually present like a menace to society. 

7 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Had the almost exact same experience. I chalked it up to Arlington/Grand Prairie and Irving becoming Coahuila or Tamulpas Jr., much in the same way Garland and Richardson is Ho Chi Minh City Jr., so now you have a bunch of cholo's and neck tat's and otherwise running around ruining childhood memories, back when it wasn't socially acceptable to visually present like a menace to society. 

Now this, this post reminds me of my childhood in Southeast Texas.  You could pretty much never get away from racist pricks spouting racist bullshit like it's all cool and no one could possibly have any problem with it.  

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Are the ones in Arlington Spurs fans or Mavs fans?

35 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

What a pussy

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I ask the same question. It's my right as a free American to drive my leaky VW Bug on Kemp Ridley Sea Turtle nesting grounds.  If a little oil gets on the eggs it will just serve to make the survivors stronger.

https://earthworks.org/media-releases/surfside-votes-unanimously-to-oppose-sea-port-oil-terminal-crude-export-facility/

Surfside Beach TX, Mar 11 — At 7:54pm CST last night the Surfside City Council voted unanimously (5-0) to oppose the Sea Port Oil Terminal (SPOT), a proposed deepwater crude oil export facility. If built, the project would include the construction of onshore and offshore oil terminals, with two 36” pipelines to deliver up to 2 million barrels per day of crude oil onto Very Large Crude Carriers (VLCCs) for export to global markets.

“I’ve been coming to Surfside my whole life. My dream of living here came true in 2002. Now the SPOT project will run though our beach and sand dunes destroying the area where our endangered turtles nest,” said Surfside Beach Alderman Greg Bisso.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

And fuck you, Cartman.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I ask the same question. It's my right as a free American to drive my leaky VW Bug on Kemp Ridley Sea Turtle nesting grounds.  If a little oil gets on the eggs it will just serve to make the survivors stronger.

That oil lubricant well help keep them from choking on the plastic stuck in their throats!

5 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Coming back to the beach thing - what type of respectable beach lets you drive your car on it? Lived in CA for 8 years and never saw this, and it's off limits on Lake Michigan as well. 

who said anything about respectable?

damnit i see this was covered

Edited by elfenix

4 hours ago, Continental Op said:

What you mean there's something wrong with going on a message board and asking "Hey did everything always suck this bad or did it just happen when all these fucking non-whites moved in?"? 

He could have said he missed the good old days when all the white people were blowing smoke in his face as a kid while he was walking through the mall.

17 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

that's why the whole idea of temperature checks is a joke.  what percentage are you going to catch doing that?  close to zero probably.

temperature checks are to make people feel better about entering a place.  Of course, they want to stop someone with a covid fever and hopefully direct them to a testing location so it's not a complete waste. It just isn't a 100% measure.

You know this is surlyhorns right? Looks like you got lost while trying to find texags. If not, maybe give them a look. This shit is way more at home over there.

Oh, and its Tamaulipas*. Moron.
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Um, excuse me, I had to live through the Urban Cowboy craze. Honkies running around town in ten gallon hats and plate sized belt buckles. That shit was horrifying.

44 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

temperature checks are to make people feel better about entering a place.  Of course, they want to stop someone with a covid fever and hopefully direct them to a testing location so it's not a complete waste. It just isn't a 100% measure.

It will be just like the TSA. Ineffective and inconvenient.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

It will be just like the TSA. Ineffective and inconvenient.

I wouldn't say that temperature checks are ineffective. If you know that you won't be allowed in a building because you have a fever or suspect you have a fever, you probably won't go there.

Now if you are setting a bar that they need to stop covid-19 from entering the building then yes they are not 100% effective but no one is claiming that is the expectation.

• Like 1

So they're about a false sense of security?

Just now, gmr548 said:
58 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

So they're about a false sense of security?

The temperature checks represent that the building/organization has some measures in place. hopefully they are doing more than just screening. If someone believes that a temp gun is stopping covid-19, then I guess that is their right to be stupid. 

If someone is setting a standard that only 100% safety measures are allowable, then you don't really want any measures in place. At least be honest with that.

In the beginning of the outbreak they told us not to buy masks b/c there weren’t enough for healthcare workers.  

Look for a similar thing to happen with disposable gloves.  Not that gloves are really that effective but demand for them has skyrocketed now that every business in America needs them to perform basic cleaning services multiple times a day. Pretty much anyone handling money will be using gloves. 

1 minute ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Gloves have been impossible to find in grocery stores here in Texas for a while. I use them in the kitchen quite a bit (salmonella will change a man) and just ran out of my last box. 

I work in the supply chain for cleaning and jan/san.  I get info on upcoming shortages before most anyone else. Every so often I’ve posted some things to watch for, like when I told y’all about disinfectant wipes back in early March.  Yeah, those are still a bitch. 

Purrell/Gojo is starting to get their shit together but still nowhere near the demand need.

3 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

I looked for gloves yesterday in HEB and went to the pharmacy section where I used to find them. Nope. So do you think CVS or Walgreens will have them or should I try Home Depot for the painter gloves? Anybody? Bueller?

I got box of 500 a month or so ago from Costco.  I don't know if they have inventory currently or not.  Costco is hit or miss with inventory on most everything.

4 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

I looked for gloves yesterday in HEB and went to the pharmacy section where I used to find them. Nope. So do you think CVS or Walgreens will have them or should I try Home Depot for the painter gloves? Anybody? Bueller?

You’re likely not going to find them in retail. The best place to look right now (other than online) is a local paper supply wholesaler/distributor.  The people that were supplying schools but have since stopped and need to move excess inventory.  However, most disposable gloves are made in China and I’m hearing something like a 60 day lead time before inventories are replenished.  The glove situation currently has the most uncertainty from my view. 

5 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

why is everyone talking about gloves now? are we supposed to be wearing gloves? i've just been washing my hands when i get home and not touching my face.

Gloves are not that important for daily activity as long as you’re washing your hands and they can give people a false sense of security.  They’re not like the masks, which should be worn in public places at all times.  The increased demand for gloves is coming from the people doing all the cleaning and handling money, like bankers and cashiers. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Moreover, do not use these things.  

927100F0-FBF3-4F8F-8538-9ABD8E58DEFB_zps

In fact, you should try to avoid public bathrooms all together but these hand dryers are basically germ blowers b/c they cycle all the dirty air in public restrooms.  They should probably be outlawed.

Yep, read in an article long before Covid that these things, essentially, just power-circulate fecal matter.  Lovely. 

• Like 1