Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

Am I the only one that doesn't give a shit about them calling it the "Democrat" party?  It's yet another juvenile troll job because that's what the R party is: juvenile trolls.  Troll on with your bad selves, just know that you look fucking stupid in everything you do.

Agreed, which is very similar to how I feel about aggy. I chuckle when I see "The Left" as a proper noun boogey man or "Democrat Party," and it is always capitalized for emphasis, the same way I do when I see aggy say their dumb shit.

The venn diagram is barely distinguishable from a single circle at this point. I realize you can't really talk Trump supporters out of anything, but you'd think that in a place where the common denominator is the University of Texas, realizing your takes are consistently in line with texags of all places would be a wake up call.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Skipper said:

Basing it on publicly released hospitalization data.  I think that is the most accurate way to track considering essentially everyone with COVID-19 symptoms sick enough to be admitted to a hospital is getting tested.  It's not perfect (as hospitalization lags infection by 2+ weeks) so a backwards looking trend rather than a real time outlook.  It shows peak hospital admissions in Dallas was the first week of April which implies peak infection the latter half of March (which makes sense as the "stay at home" order went into effect on 3/22).  So basically the Hospital data shows the Dallas shut down worked exactly as intended.  I think this data, combined with improving testing data, should help officials monitor how well loosening restrictions is working.  

I say all this and of course we get data this afternoon that bucks the downward trend.  Makes me wonder if a nursing home got hit bad in the past week or something or the prior data was incomplete?   

See below week over week data for what I'm talking about (all data is through the Monday prior).

COVID Confirmed Hospitalizations

3/24:  61

3/31: 192  (increase of 131)

4/7:  383 (increase of 191)

4/14:  510 (increase of 127)

4/21:  617 (increase of 107)

4/28:  796 (increase of 179)

They report every Tues and Friday and 127 of the 179 new weekly cases were reported today (i.e., Friday-Monday new admissions??) so that's a spike we haven't seen over the past 3 weeks.  Of course I don't have any insight but if I did I would be asking some questions to see if an obvious reason for this.  If primarily a result of community spread rather than a nursing home or a handful of other specific locations, that would certainly give me pause and make me reconsider my post last night as to the curve being sufficiently flattened locally to begin easing restrictions. 

Edited by Skipper

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

It’s not good when you start to believe your own bullshit.

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Am I the only one that doesn't give a shit about them calling it the "Democrat" party?  It's yet another juvenile troll job because that's what the R party is: juvenile trolls.  Troll on with your bad selves, just know that you look fucking stupid in everything you do.

Sounds like you're describing Aggies, which you kind of are. They have stupid "reasons" for renaming everything, too. And they surely believe their own bullshit.

I say all this and of course we get data this afternoon that bucks the downward trend.  Makes me wonder if a nursing home got hit bad in the past week or something or the prior data was incomplete?   
See below week over week data for what I'm talking about (all data is through the Monday prior).
They report every Tues and Friday and 127 of the 179 new weekly cases were reported today (i.e., Friday-Monday new admissions??) so that's a spike we haven't seen over the past 3 weeks.  Of course I don't have any insight but if I did I would be asking some questions to see if an obvious reason for this.  If primarily a result of community spread rather than a nursing home or a handful of other specific locations, that would certainly give me pause and make me reconsider my post last night as to the curve being sufficiently flattened locally to begin easing restrictions. 

Easter was two weeks ago this past weekend. I'd imagine there was a surge in socializing, and therefore spread. We're at the end of the window where you'd expect to see the associated spike from that.
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Given a 2 week lag the timing matches up with Easter quite well unfortunately. While most people did abide by the stay-at-home orders it was pretty widely reported that there was a fair amount of mobility throughout the Easter weekend. I think we're going to be looking at an even larger increase in 2 to 3 weeks.

Edited by Grade of D as in David
GMR beat me to it

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

Easter was two weeks ago this past weekend. I'd imagine there was a surge in socializing, and therefore spread. We're at the end of the window where you'd expect to see the associated spike from that.

That makes a lot of sense.  The case count and death reports were bad locally today as well.  Of course I think a big reason for that is it's a big dump of results Monday that weren't reported over the weekend.   Still, for deaths, a 17 year old girl + 2 men in 30's and 2 men in 40's is scary (we haven't seen a lot of that locally).

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Montgomery County opening erreythang on Friday, including bars, gyms, and salons. Their logic is Abbott’s orders are vague.

🤷🏾‍♂️

Good we need guinea pigs or canaries.  So what if some olds die.  Time for commerce, baby.

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Doesn't it just seem odd that we're left out here to analyze all of this for ourselves? Your analysis makes sense. It just seems like this is the most rudinmentary stuff you'd expect from official sources.

And all analyses are largely guesses because the data is so thin. It's just so strange.

Doesn't it just seem odd that we're left out here to analyze all of this for ourselves? Your analysis makes sense. It just seems like this is the most rudinmentary stuff you'd expect from official sources.
And all analyses are largely guesses because the data is so thin. It's just so strange.
Good enough to reopen though!

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:
11 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Good enough to reopen though!

Yep. Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead! The skulls of the dead boomeers won't pierce the hull!

2 hours ago, hpslugga said:

Opening at even 50% isn’t viable either and these motherfuckers asserting otherwise are playing make believe. I’ll re-post something a FB friend of mine (who owns a restaurant in Deep Ellum, btw) said:

”Restaurants have the slimmest of margins in the best of times. There is absolutely no way that I can pay rent, property taxes, utilities, insurance, and all the rest on 50% capacity and/or or limited hours. How do I pay a full salary or regular hourly on 50% of revenue? Rent, property taxes, insurance, the list goes on. 

Someone gonna subsidize my utilities, my rent, my insurance, my etc?

And I’m not even getting into employment liability/premises liability issues. What happens if an employee gets sick? Do I shut down and test my entire staff? Do I tell the public a cook had the Covid? Will the public come back in? If I don’t tell the public, and an outbreak is traced back to me, do I get sued into oblivion?

I have 100 other points and questions, by the way.

Non-restaurant owners casually throwing around “well just open up at half capacity” simply do not understand the restaurant business.”

Pretty much what I’ve been telling everyone.  

1 hour ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

If the profit margin is that bad they must really love their work.

Restaurants are absolutely a labor of love.  They can make a lot of money, but it’s not a guarantee, and it takes a lot of volume to make a lot of money 

40 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

It's a catch-22 because the only people clamoring to sit down and eat at restaurants are the ugly people.

Some of the self-proclaimed intelligentsia are the ugliest people I’ve ever encountered.  

34 minutes ago, Skipper said:

That makes a lot of sense.  The case count and death reports were bad locally today as well.  Of course I think a big reason for that is it's a big dump of results Monday that weren't reported over the weekend.   Still, for deaths, a 17 year old girl + 2 men in 30's and 2 men in 40's is scary (we haven't seen a lot of that locally).

That’s a standard May-August weekend on Lake Louisville or a few other lakes, in terms of young people.   Just saying 

39 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Given a 2 week lag the timing matches up with Easter quite well unfortunately. While most people did abide by the stay-at-home orders it was pretty widely reported that there was a fair amount of mobility throughout the Easter weekend. I think we're going to be looking at an even larger increase in 2 to 3 weeks.

Last Saturday (April 25th) driving thru Fredericksburg was the first time I really had a "wow, people are out" moment, and there was not one mask that I saw, so I've sorta mentally bookmarked the week of May 10-16 to see if my anecdotal observations have any sort of statistical correlation.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Well you see "analysis" is one of them big fancy words like "scientific" and "data". We 'publicans don't know what they mean so we take them as disrespect.

Them sounds like vaccine poison type words to me there, hoss. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

Well you see "analysis" is one of them big fancy words like "scientific" and "data". We 'publicans don't know what they mean so we take them as disrespect.

Them sounds like vaccine poison type words to me there, hoss. 

I wonder how all the fine, upstanding, know it all New Yorkers will be feeling in a few weeks after many of them were jammed together watching the Blue Angels today.  

but I guess it’s just the derppping other side, eh?  So many idiots 

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

I wonder how all the fine, upstanding, know it all New Yorkers will be feeling in a few weeks after many of them were jammed together watching the Blue Angels today.  

but I guess it’s just the derppping other side, eh?  So many idiots 

Have you never been to New York? 

Trump didn't lose the state 100% to 0. There's a lot of dumb people there that believe the exact same about this pandemic as southern trumpkins

9 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

Have you never been to New York? 

Trump didn't lose the state 100% to 0. There's a lot of dumb people there that believe the exact same about this pandemic as southern trumpkins

Got it. So only Trump “people” are going out.  I bet all those doctors and nurses I saw were trumpers.   Jesus dude. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fuggled said:

Just saw a news clip where Jenkins said Abbott's decision supercedes anything he can do. 

This shit is happening and right at a time when new hospitalizations and cases increased by the most of any date yet 2 weeks after Easter. Story came right after one of a 17 yr old girl in Lancaster with no underlying conditions dying from it. Told her teacher on Friday she didn't feel well so she'll turn in her assignment once she feels better and was dead by Saturday. 

Just my opinion but we're about to enter the most dangerous month yet for Texans. 

On an individual level I don't see the problem: Most people are just going to continue to stay home for a bit and let those really chomping at the bit (whether it be legitimate or they are dumb chuds) get out and be the canaries in the coal mine. After a month or so the rest of us will take a decision on whether to re-emerge from our privileged caves stockpiled with toilet paper, frozen ribeyes in our third freezer, and back-to-back-to-back-to-back--to-back zoom meetings or to bunker down for another 6 weeks.

Nobody is stopping you from staying home and avoiding the risk.

If the argument is, "but Rougarou, this is just going to cause a Round 2 with a spike due to not having testing and contact tracing and will delay a better opening of the cities/economy", I say to you, you are pinning your hopes on something that won't happen and you are trying to make others prove a negative a la Russell's teapot. There is not enough reasonable evidence based on the historical actions of our government to reasonably expect that come July, or whatever date you might have in your mind, we will have the processes and tools in place. Maybe we have been witnessing and following different governments, but that has been my experience. So if that is your argument, I say it's a bad one for keeping us locked down.

If your argument is more akin to "no broken eggs is worth the omelette" from a moral and ethical values consideration, and even 1 death from coronavirus is too big a cost to rebuild/re-normalize our way of life, then I can jive with that. I'm not seeing a lot of that, however, and it would be a rare and hard to maintain stance indeed. I think that is why and how we've seen some really clumsy attempts at analogizing roadway deaths by vehicles (which hits close to home as someone who has used this time in quarantine to do online defensive driving) and the common flu as a way to try and have a mainstreet conversation about risk management and tolerance. The problem is that Dr. Oz is a quack and Dr. Phil a chud who raised a weirdo and the huddled masses they are trying to communicate to aren't much better.

Edited by Rougarou
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Rougarou said:

There is not enough reasonable evidence based on the historical actions of our government to reasonably expect that come July, or whatever date you might have in your mind, we will have the processes and tools in place

This is pretty much where I'm at.  I think this is the sad reality.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is pretty much where I'm at.  I think this is the sad reality.

I said this over a month ago; our family will contract this virus regardless of our social distancing and precautions. We will continue to practice as many preventative measures as we can to protect others as well as ourselves.

In February when Dr. Messonier conducted the telebriefing, the subsequent administrative response to that made it clear that the leadership did not make American lives a priority but an election strategy. Something that they have done all along not only with a global pandemic, but pretty much every policy decision from January 2016, and even prior with the transition team.

You have liberty, but the benefit of that liberty is to fund the Organization, not create a better America for its citizens.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
grammar
  • Like 4

I caught Judge Jenkins press conference yesterday.  That guy is great.  He did everything he could to focus on the scientific recommendations and what personal decisions people should be doing to protect themselves and their families.  He highlighted that Abbot's plan did not line up to other plans, including Trump's, on how openings should be phased.  It was a great attempt to modify the behavior of everyone, regardless of political affiliation.  I don't think it will work, but I will give the dude an A for effort. 

• Like 1

I haven't perused the DT threads in awhile, so apologies if the tweet/article below already was posted. Had me going for a minute, but the A&M was overkill:

Spoiler

Yesterday afternoon, Artie Swedesford, general manager of the Scores Club in Odessa Texas, received a strange phone call. The man on the line was an attorney for a large Oil and Gas company that had recently declared bankruptcy. The attorney proposed that if Scores agreed to re-open on May 1st, had free Jack and Diet Coke of Tuesdays, and that all of the girls wore Texas A&M cheer-leading outfits, the club would receive a $4.2 million gift that would establish the Scores Foundation.

“They insisted that it be a foundation. They were afraid the IRS would come after them for the bonuses they gave themselves and they wanted some of the bonus money to stay in the community. They were just trying to do the right thing.”

The attorney was clear to point out that the champagne room must re-open as well. “That was the toughest part” Swedesford advised. “The girls are big into protecting themselves, so we formed a working group to decide on all the stipulations.” Swedesford’s 45 female employees chose a leadership group of five top earners to make a decision. “Candy and Lola voted against the champagne room, but Ginger, Brandy, and Tiffany were fine with it”, Swedesford said. Tiffany, the top earner at Scores, was vocal in her support of the foundation but insisted that the Texas A&M outfits be custom tailored for each girl.

Later that evening, Swedesford contacted the attorney, who wishes to remain anonymous, of the ladies’ decision. “He was thrilled” said Swedesford. We are all set for a May 1st re-opening.

This is wonderful news for the community of Odessa. Forgotten in all of pandemic news is the fact that many of the most at-risk members of the US workforce are strippers. The women live on tips and have been out of works for five weeks. Many are only able to afford junk foods that are high in carbohydrates.

“Let’s be honest” Swedesford said, “most of these ladies are home eating pizza and Doritos. If they don’t get back soon they won’t fit into the A&M outfits.” He went on to explain the club was the only source of entertainment in the area, and that most of the men in Odessa would have emotional problems that may lead to divorce or even suicide if the club does not re-open soon. “We have to help this community, it is the right thing to do”

9 minutes ago, Tuco said:

I caught Judge Jenkins press conference yesterday.  That guy is great.  He did everything he could to focus on the scientific recommendations and what personal decisions people should be doing to protect themselves and their families.  He highlighted that Abbot's plan did not line up to other plans, including Trump's, on how openings should be phased.  It was a great attempt to modify the behavior of everyone, regardless of political affiliation.  I don't think it will work, but I will give the dude an A for effort. 

He's been pretty good during this.

It's kind of strange.  He was one of the earliest "opportunistic Democrats" in Dallas County.  Like a lot of judges, he suddenly flipped (well, he had previously voted/registered Republican).  There have also been questions about his residency in Dallas County (he's from Waxahachie/Ellis County).  He's a double Baylor grad, with all that entails, while not being particularly fundagelical, you can tell it's there.

19 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This.  And this is where it will break down.

21 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

When your employer says you better get your ass into the office, this point falls flat on its face.

When I say "you", I meant us UT-degreed professionals of still-somehow-abundant privilege on this website.

Yes, some folks might have to go to an office before they are ready or willing and in this climate there really isn't a choice because there aren't a lot of job openings.

I do think that a law should be passed folks can work from home on their decision, up until the date a vaccine is ready. If they choose to come to the office because they just have to have the social interaction and bad coffee, that's on them, but an employer shouldn't make that call for them.

As for me, someone who consults and someone who pre-covid flew every Monday morning to a client site and flew back home every Thursday afternoon; I'm not ready to start flying around the country again. Not sure when I will be, but I won't be jet-setting around until I feel comfortable to do so. And I'm sure the first time back in the saddle is going to be weird and I won't be "fully" ready.

7 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

When I say "you", I meant us UT-degreed professionals of still-somehow-abundant privilege on this website.

Yes, some folks might have to go to an office before they are ready or willing and in this climate there really isn't a choice because there aren't a lot of job openings.

I do think that a law should be passed folks can work from home on their decision, up until the date a vaccine is ready. If they choose to come to the office because they just have to have the social interaction and bad coffee, that's on them, but an employer shouldn't make that call for them.

As for me, someone who consults and someone who pre-covid flew every Monday morning to a client site and flew back home every Thursday afternoon; I'm not ready to start flying around the country again. Not sure when I will be, but I won't be jet-setting around until I feel comfortable to do so. And I'm sure the first time back in the saddle is going to be weird and I won't be "fully" ready.

There's already litigation over that issue -- requiring people to come to work and expose themselves to a dangerous illness.  And there's still-developing guidance, which will surely change.  In short, it's a mess already, and will only get messier.

1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

On an individual level I don't see the problem: Most people are just going to continue to stay home for a bit and let those really chomping at the bit (whether it be legitimate or they are dumb chuds) get out and be the canaries in the coal mine. After a month or so the rest of us will take a decision on whether to re-emerge from our privileged caves stockpiled with toilet paper, frozen ribeyes in our third freezer, and back-to-back-to-back-to-back--to-back zoom meetings or to bunker down for another 6 weeks.

Nobody is stopping you from staying home and avoiding the risk.

If the argument is, "but Rougarou, this is just going to cause a Round 2 with a spike due to not having testing and contact tracing and will delay a better opening of the cities/economy", I say to you, you are pinning your hopes on something that won't happen and you are trying to make others prove a negative a la Russell's teapot. There is not enough reasonable evidence based on the historical actions of our government to reasonably expect that come July, or whatever date you might have in your mind, we will have the processes and tools in place. Maybe we have been witnessing and following different governments, but that has been my experience. So if that is your argument, I say it's a bad one for keeping us locked down.

If your argument is more akin to "no broken eggs is worth the omelette" from a moral and ethical values consideration, and even 1 death from coronavirus is too big a cost to rebuild/re-normalize our way of life, then I can jive with that. I'm not seeing a lot of that, however, and it would be a rare and hard to maintain stance indeed. I think that is why and how we've seen some really clumsy attempts at analogizing roadway deaths by vehicles (which hits close to home as someone who has used this time in quarantine to do online defensive driving) and the common flu as a way to try and have a mainstreet conversation about risk management and tolerance. The problem is that Dr. Oz is a quack and Dr. Phil a chud who raised a weirdo and the huddled masses they are trying to communicate to aren't much better.

I'm curious, what do you do for a living?