Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

32 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I hope none of y'all had a trip to NY planned.

Shit. I've been planning a road trip to take my daughter back up to school there at the end of August (driving so she can have a car to leave with her and fly back). This is all so fucked.

4 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Nope.  I disagree.  Ignorance is not the same as apathy.

To be fair, the burden that falls to him would pretty much stop all of us in our tracks.

I wouldn't want to walk in that man's shoes right now.

Sorrow is knowledge, those that know the most must mourn the deepest, the tree of knowledge is not the tree of life.

Lord Byron

----DNAguy

new chart from texas medical center:

i-TMC-ICU-Bed-Capacity-6-24-2020.png

With recent growth trends, I would assume they are in the sustainable surge capacity by the end of the week.

Hidalgo and Turner need to announce that whipping someone's butt, for not wearing a mask, is not a criminal act. Same goes for torching that one Dallas woman's hair salon. Although I don't think that is Hidalgo's jurisdiction.

• Like 1

I'm going to go out on a limb.......

Greg_Abbott_2015.jpg
No. He's not stupid. Donald Trump legitimately didn't see this coming because he is a moron. Greg Abbott is an intelligent guy and chose to tie himself to Trump in defiance of reality. Stupid or ignorant is far too complimentary of Abbott.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dnaguy said:

Why do you guys keep running with this whole 'Abbott is intelligent'.

If you ask me, he's buckling under the full weight of the Trumpist branch of the Republican Party.

That shows you what he really stands for.

He'll never be able to run for any higher office.

He's paralyzed but the moment, won't stand up to Trump and his cronies to protect Texans, and is failing to walk the thin line he thought he could to escape the crisis.

Overthetop.jpg

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Why do you guys keep running with this whole 'Abbott is intelligent'.

If you ask me, he's buckling under the full weight of the Trumpist branch of the Republican Party.

That shows you what he really stands for.

He'll never be able to run for any higher office.

He's paralyzed but the moment, won't stand up to Trump and his cronies to protect Texans, and is failing to walk the thin line he thought he could to escape the crisis.

None of those negatives are necessarily inconsistent with intelligence.

They are consistent with cravenness.

• Like 1

Drove from Austin to Santa Fe last week and then on to Durango this week.  I saw little to no mask compliance in the Texas small towns we passed through (didn't inspect every business but saw several town squares and in several convenient stores and a grocery store).  NM and CO are night and day different -- basically 100% compliance indoors in every place i've seen or been.  Really strange to see old-timers and typical fat ass small town men, women, and children in Post, Lubbock, Littlfield etc. not giving a fuck and then those same demos at 100% compliance in NM and CO (in fairness CO seems to have less of an obesity epidemic than small town TX and small town NM).

30 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

None of those negatives are necessarily inconsistent with intelligence.

They are consistent with cravenness.

True.

You can be spineless and an idiot. You can be a behind the scenes puppeteer level genius and still have no backbone.

But it seems that most on the board act as if he sits around plotting or has some sort of strategy.

I really just think he's looking for an ADA boy from his base and to get re-elected. Period. No thought is given to his roll in history.

What's special about him? He is who we thought he was.

Every policy he's wheeled out is some sort of re-tread of some other Republican think tank or forward thinking Republican.

The dude is not on the level and should be looked down upon because of it.

Edited by Dnaguy
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Gale Snoats said:

Drove from Austin to Santa Fe last week and then on to Durango this week.  I saw little to no mask compliance in the Texas small towns we passed through (didn't inspect every business but saw several town squares and in several convenient stores and a grocery store).  NM and CO are night and day different -- basically 100% compliance indoors in every place i've seen or been.  Really strange to see old-timers and typical fat ass small town men, women, and children in Post, Lubbock, Littlfield etc. not giving a fuck and then those same demos at 100% compliance in NM and CO (in fairness CO seems to have less of an obesity epidemic than small town TX and small town NM).

I'm set to take that exact route in late July.  Good to hear, just hope Colorado doesn't start to ban people from Texas between now and then.

28 minutes ago, Gale Snoats said:

Drove Austin to  Amarillo (spent one night) and then on to Breckenridge.

Amarillo - no masks, I went into a coffee shop Monday morning wearing a mask and people looked at me like I was from another planet.

Colorado has been very visible on mask usage, they closed the main street area to car traffic to provide outdoor seating etc and encourage social distancing.

Texas is absolutely stepping on their own dicks right now on mask usage. Just ridiculous.

19 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

This crisis is showing how some people have emotional and self control issues. Not to mention that they believe in some God given right to shop wherever they want, however they want. They're equating a mask requirement with being shipped off to the gulag archipelago.

• Like 2

The non-denominational church in our area sent out flyers for their upcoming VBS.  Under the part about COVID 19 precautions they said they are using their faith in God and guidance from Gov Abbott to ensure a safe and healthy environment for the staff and kids.

Yeah, that doesn’t sound like a good plan.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

This crisis is showing how some people have emotional and self control issues. Not to mention that they believe in some God given right to shop wherever they want, however they want. They're equating a mask requirement with being shipped off to the gulag archipelago.

I think more than maybe any other society Americans have fully internalized the logic of the market and have truly made themselves into homo economicus.  There is nothing to do but to consume and any restraint on consumption (even if intended to allow for greater consumption at a later date) is seen as tyrannical.  

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

47 minutes ago, Gale Snoats said:

We've been in Ruidoso for 3+ weeks.  I went to the grocery store on our first night in town and almost everyone was wearing masks.  Then the calendar passed Memorial Day and all the other Texans invaded the town, and now you'd be lucky to see 50% of the people in Albertson's wearing a mask.

5 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

I think more than maybe any other society Americans have fully internalized the logic of the market and have truly made themselves into homo economicus.  There is nothing to do but to consume and any restraint on consumption (even if intended to allow for greater consumption at a later date) is seen as tyrannical.  

Spot on. There was that recent video where they guy was pushing himself through the Wal Mart employees because they were telling him that he needed to wear a mask, and they only stepped in his path when he ignored them. I don't understand why people think they don't have to listen to store employees. Some people are on edge and appear to go ballistic at the drop of a hat.

I feel for the door greeters having to put up with these assholes. The box stores should have a zero tolerance of poor behavior. It's hard to punish the customers but they could publicly embarrass them. 

51 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Bell County went more than double its single day high.  84 cases, previous high was 41, which had occurred only twice.  Added a death today too.  Unfortunately we dont get any useful hospitalization info.  

https://bellcounty.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/2c72e49dbc3e462ba758e75f0e5aded4

This site looks very similar to the state map we have for Montana (https://montana.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=7c34f3412536439491adcc2103421d4b)  Are there similar GIS maps for other Texas counties?

lets gain a millimeter politically, in a grid locked country, in the middle of a shitshow pandemic that is a once in a lifetime event with massive unknowns?

yes, where do i sing up so i can say or post something remarkably stupid

some comparison for my texas homies. here in Melbourne we now have 1000 military boots on the ground. mostly enforcing quarantine at hotels. not fucking around. 

this is with ~20 new cases a day in a city of ~ 6M.  and people are freaking out. its winter and people also have colds and shit, so i get it a bit but wow. good on them. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

Boy, this tweet aged well. 

Callous disregard for human life and human suffering. Now we're seeing articles about permanent lung damage to even asymptomatic carriers. Some of us are just delaying the day we'll drown or asphixiate our way out of this life.

Is there an advantage to the wealthiest people to having a couple percent of the population die now and maybe several percent more in the long run? We are looking at GOP leaders absolutely devoid of decency or empathy for those they were elected to serve. What do they get out of this?

I know the short term answer was the hope that the economy would revive ahead of the second wave disaster. This would keep the villains in office. Is that enough to shrug off so much suffering and death?

How is an American policy that knowingly condemns innocent citizens to miserable deaths and permanent damage different from Pol Pot's Cambodian Killing Field? 

As a nation, we argue about executing criminals partially because we rightfully hesitate to allow the state to kill its own citizens. We have a government killing citizens not through reckless disregard but through actual policy decisions. 

This upside down world has the people who have been persuaded to take the greatest risk of infection wildly cheering the executioner who plunged them into that risk. They hate the people trying to reduce the risk.

IYeB9Cw.gif

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Callous disregard for human life and human suffering. Now we're seeing articles about permanent lung damage to even asymptomatic carriers. Some of us are just delaying the day we'll drown or asphixiate our way out of this life.

Is there an advantage to the wealthiest people to having a couple percent of the population die now and maybe several percent more in the long run? We are looking at GOP leaders absolutely devoid of decency or empathy for those they were elected to serve. What do they get out of this?

I know the short term answer was the hope that the economy would revive ahead of the second wave disaster. This would keep the villains in office. Is that enough to shrug off so much suffering and death?

How is an American policy that knowingly condemns innocent citizens to miserable deaths and permanent damage different from Pol Pot's Cambodian Killing Field? 

As a nation, we argue about executing criminals partially because we rightfully hesitate to allow the state to kill its own citizens. We have a government killing citizens not through reckless disregard but through actual policy decisions. 

This upside down world has the people who have been persuaded to take the greatest risk of infection wildly cheering the executioner who plunged them into that risk. They hate the people trying to reduce the risk.

IYeB9Cw.gif

Actually the Coronavirus has been a net positive for the ultra rich, economic wise anyway. The “Essential Working” poor? Not so much. 

The mask has been ripped off for anyone who wants to bother to look. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

What this crisis shows is that Republicans now stand for one principle: we have a right to do whatever stupid fucking shit we want and anyone who complains about us complaining that we can’t do whatever we want whenever we want is a snowflake. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

IYeB9Cw.gif

Capitalism runs on the suffering and blood of everyday people.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1