Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

Actually the Coronavirus has been a net positive for the ultra rich, economic wise anyway. The “Essential Working” poor? Not so much. 

The mask has been ripped off for anyone who wants to bother to look. 

45 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Capitalism runs on the suffering and blood of everyday people.

I believe this may be true, but please explain.

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

What an asshole.

How did this guy become anything more than a mid manager at a family business?

I mean, he's the guy in school who everyone calls nacho dick, grundle gobbler, taint squat, and shaft bandit.

There's nothing likable or charming about him.

Ok, so he was JAG, went to Yale... and Havard... so I guess he's got to be able to be charming / competent....

That being said, he still sucks.

13 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I believe this may be true, but please explain.

I’m sorry to have to differ with you sir. But you. Are the caretaker here. You’ve always been the caretaker here.

White man’s burden Lloyd my man. White man’s burden.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Fozzz said:

I think more than maybe any other society Americans have fully internalized the logic of the market and have truly made themselves into homo economicus.  There is nothing to do but to consume and any restraint on consumption (even if intended to allow for greater consumption at a later date) is seen as tyrannical.  

It's homo individualis.  And that's what makes the market so rotten.  I'mma get mine.  Fuck you.  Pay me.

1 hour ago, Dnaguy said:

What an asshole.

How did this guy become anything more than a mid manager at a family business?

I mean, he's the guy in school who everyone calls nacho dick, grundle gobbler, taint squat, and shaft bandit.

There's nothing likable or charming about him.

Ok, so he was JAG, went to Yale... and Havard... so I guess he's got to be able to be charming / competent....

That being said, he still sucks.

Dipshits like him are all over the upper echelons of R power. I can think of no greater embodiment of unearned white privilege than going through the Ivy's on such little merit and then rising to governor after telling everyone not to "monkey this up" by voting for his black opponent. 

• Like 1

In Tyler visiting my parents, I've barely seen any masks here the few times I've ventured out. Went to get take out tacos today and I was the only one in the place with one on. 

Unrelated (sort of) but while waiting for my order I also got to witness some good ol'boy in a "Guns, God, and Trump" hat make a bee-line for a black-woman who was also waiting to lecture her about the black-on-black crime rate in Chicago and how that is what her people should worry about, not police violence. She got her food and bolted out without incident but it was a nice slice of East Texas life.

did our governor just say yesterday that "there is no reason to leave your house"?  there is no reason except the governor made us all go back to work again.  waittresses, lifeguards, bus drivers, football coaches, and on and on all opened back up based on the governors timeline.   it is disingenuous and slimy for him to take no responsibility.  he's taken a page from the teflon don, and admitting no wrong.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Unless that pic was from a different time, I didn't see much social distancing happening there.

7 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Unless that pic was from a different time, I didn't see much social distancing happening there.

You can't have 25 people in a house together and be 'social distancing'.  What a bunch of fucking idiots*

As I type this I'm getting texts from my sister about the 4th of July party they're having at my parents (70+ years old) - I won't be attending.  I've interacted once with my parents since this thing started - and my parents looked at me an my kids like we were crazy when we said we wouldn't go in the house

I guess devastating the revenues and financial stability of our healthcare systems was all part of Abbott's "save the economy at the expense of your grandparents" plan.

Although I'm sure the party of financial responsibility will happily do some deficit spending to give out some corporate welfare, as is tradition.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 3

Darwinism

fucking idiots, especially considering one was an EMT, married to a doctor, a family member is battling breast cancer

jfc
When your EMT and doctor family member decide not to attend that should probably trigger something in the brain. Now both of the elderly parents are in the hospital, the mom for two weeks and the dad over a week, with the dad in ICU and possibly needing a vent (not a good outlook for olds on vents).

But I'm sure the cake was good and there were lots of likes to be had on Instagram. So there's that.

13 hours ago, Message Board User said:

21 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

So hot.  

And so smart.  And young.  And powerful.  Geez. 

29 years old.  Stanford grad, accepted in Harvard's law/public policy joint program, but turned it down to run for office.  she's Harris County's Chief Executive and oversees a budget of over $4 billion.  good lord.  she's got a future in politics.  but alas, not as POTUS.  she was born in Bogota, Colombia.

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Like 3

I think the last Texas pneumonia totals with approx 4 week lag I did were for June 13 so almost 2 weeks. 

On the 13th it was 5694 pneumonia and 1629 covid

As of June 25th reporting date it's 6303 pneumonia and 2024 covid. That pneumonia rate is doubling the yearly avg and numbers probably just starting to get to the Memorial day full open. Not looking good for untested people who never made it to a hospital. 

2 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

I think the last Texas pneumonia totals with approx 4 week lag I did were for June 13 so almost 2 weeks. 

On the 13th it was 5694 pneumonia and 1629 covid

As of June 25th reporting date it's 6303 pneumonia and 2024 covid. That pneumonia rate is doubling the yearly avg and numbers probably just starting to get to the Memorial day full open. Not looking good for untested people who never made it to a hospital. 

So is that saying it's possible we are possibly closer to 5000 CV deaths since half of the pneumonia deaths may be due to untested Covid deaths?  Just trying to figure out if that's what you are looking at.

• Like 1

because this makes a lot of sense:

10:35 a.m. - Gov. Greg Abbott announced Texas is temporarily pausing any further phases to reopen the state due to the recent increase in positive coronavirus cases and hospitalizations. Businesses that were allowed to reopen during the previous phases can continue to operate at the designated occupancy, Abbott said.

"I am going to pause re-opening at...fully open."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

I guess devastating the revenues and financial stability of our healthcare systems was all part of Abbott's "save the economy at the expense of your grandparents" plan.

Although I'm sure the party of financial responsibility will happily do some deficit spending to give out some corporate welfare, as is tradition.

I’m gonna read the tea leaves here and go out on a limb by stating this as a very bad sign. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

more than anything this could turn Texas blue sooner than expected, they really really really fucked this up and Texans are going to die because of it

Yeah, I don't know about that.  

39 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

And so smart.  And young.  And powerful.  Geez. 

29 years old.  Stanford grad, accepted in Harvard's law/public policy joint program, but turned it down to run for office.  she's Harris County's Chief Executive and oversees a budget of over $4 billion.  good lord.  she's got a future in politics.  but alas, not as POTUS.  she was born in Bogota, Colombia.

Impressive. Glad to read about her. We nead leaders so bad. 

27 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

So is that saying it's possible we are possibly closer to 5000 CV deaths since half of the pneumonia deaths may be due to untested Covid deaths?  Just trying to figure out if that's what you are looking at.

It's difficult to tell because we don't know what the usual yearly rate would be for mid May to end of May. The previous 5 yr avg for pneumonia as the primary cause of death in Texas is 3199 with a high of 3512 I believe. As of mid to end of May we are at 6303. So let's assume Texas normally hits 45 percent of it's yearly total by end of May that would be a normal avg for pneumonia deaths would be about 1440. So if that rate is close to correct we're looking at an excess of around 5k deaths over average already to this point in 2020. 

Of course there's variables here we don't know so it's probably safer to say a range of somewhere between 3500 and 5500 excess deaths over the normal YTD average for late May could be covid related. Either way it's a lot of people who are dying but not being counted and the gap is widening by the day. 

37 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Look at this fucking idiot:

97% of ICU beds are currently occupied.  Jesus Christ as if the Kamala Harris challenge wasn't embarrassing enough for him.

Yea, but he looks like senator should look. He balances out Ted Cruz that way. 

Any delusions we had about Texans (us) are being mercilessly run through the shredder by our most prominent representatives: Abbot, Perry, Cornyn, Patrick, and Waxy Ted Cruz. W is the best of the bunch, and he was one of the worst presidents ever, not the least bit bright, but at least a well-intentioned person.

Again, I recall thinking Gerald Ford was too dumb to be president. I figured he was smarter than I am, but that's not the bar for the highest office. I was way, way off. Clinton, HW Bush, and Obama are the only ones who clear that bar. I'd give a digit to have Gerald Ford in office. GOPs would hate him, though. Too decent.

Edited by RomaVicta

44 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Look at this fucking idiot:

97% of ICU beds are currently occupied.  Jesus Christ as if the Kamala Harris challenge wasn't embarrassing enough for him.

This plus his corona beer tweet are not going to play well. Houston is spiking and fuck all is being done to stop it