Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Look at this fucking idiot:

97% of ICU beds are currently occupied.  Jesus Christ as if the Kamala Harris challenge wasn't embarrassing enough for him.

it's breathtaking, the stupidity. i mean, i actually voted for this shitstain and used to think somewhat highly of him. he's a fucking joke, fuck him. mj just got some of my money.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, BradInATX said:

I guess devastating the revenues and financial stability of our healthcare systems was all part of Abbott's "save the economy at the expense of your grandparents" plan.

Although I'm sure the party of financial responsibility will happily do some deficit spending to give out some corporate welfare, as is tradition.

Well, unfortunately we can't do that.  The Constitution requires that the state government run a balanced budget.  We could dip into the Rainy Day Fund, but that's going to be needed to keep the state government solvent.  There's not going to be anything to give out as corporate welfare (at least at the state level).

1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

more than anything this could turn Texas blue sooner than expected, they really really really fucked this up and Texans are going to die because of it

I would really like to see some polling to see how this is impacting Abbott's approval.  Because I suspect it's going to take a serious toll on his standing.

The other impact is that you see some new Democratic leaders coming to the fore and getting name recognition.  People like Clay Jenkins and Lina Hidalgo are setting themselves up for statewide races in 2022 and the competent alternative to the shitshow emanating from the state government.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I would really like to see some polling to see how this is impacting Abbott's approval.  Because I suspect it's going to take a serious toll on his standing.

The other impact is that you see some new Democratic leaders coming to the fore and getting name recognition.  People like Clay Jenkins and Lina Hidalgo are setting themselves up for statewide races in 2022 and the competent alternative to the shitshow emanating from the state government.

LOL, ISWYDT

But as a non-partisan, I would welcome such challenges in state races. Comfortable re-elections are an affront to accountability to the electorate.

What an asshole.

How did this guy become anything more than a mid manager at a family business?
I mean, he's the guy in school who everyone calls nacho dick, grundle gobbler, taint squat, and shaft bandit.
There's nothing likable or charming about him.

Ok, so he was JAG, went to Yale... and Havard... so I guess he's got to be able to be charming / competent....
That being said, he still sucks.

Morons love the angry fake victim and false sentimentality. See Kavanaugh and every other GOP shitheel.
  • Like 1

did our governor just say yesterday that "there is no reason to leave your house"?  there is no reason except the governor made us all go back to work again.  waittresses, lifeguards, bus drivers, football coaches, and on and on all opened back up based on the governors timeline.   it is disingenuous and slimy for him to take no responsibility.  he's taken a page from the teflon don, and admitting no wrong.  

You are clearly failing to understand that Responsibility begins with a D-

2 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

So is that saying it's possible we are possibly closer to 5000 CV deaths since half of the pneumonia deaths may be due to untested Covid deaths?  Just trying to figure out if that's what you are looking at.

No, he’s wrong on his numbers and I’ve corrected him before but he just keeps at it. At most, Texas is looking at something around  a 20% increase in expected pneumonia deaths. So it’s bad, but not nearly what he keeps trying to claim.

1 hour ago, Wanker Bob said:

It's difficult to tell because we don't know what the usual yearly rate would be for mid May to end of May. The previous 5 yr avg for pneumonia as the primary cause of death in Texas is 3199 with a high of 3512 I believe. As of mid to end of May we are at 6303. So let's assume Texas normally hits 45 percent of it's yearly total by end of May that would be a normal avg for pneumonia deaths would be about 1440. So if that rate is close to correct we're looking at an excess of around 5k deaths over average already to this point in 2020. 

Of course there's variables here we don't know so it's probably safer to say a range of somewhere between 3500 and 5500 excess deaths over the normal YTD average for late May could be covid related. Either way it's a lot of people who are dying but not being counted and the gap is widening by the day. 

Just stop. Again. What we are dealing with is bad enough without your bullshit fantasy numbers.

it's breathtaking, the stupidity. i mean, i actually voted for this shitstain and used to think somewhat highly of him. he's a fucking joke, fuck him. mj just got some of my money.

I got to meet him for two hours in Dallas in a small group meeting of about six tech execs. He was running for Congress for the first time and wanted to understand the issues and concerns of the tech community. Don’t remember why I was one of those people selected.

Anyway, had a long discussion with him and distinctly remember walking out of the meeting thinking, “ geez I thought senators were supposed to be smart or at least talented.” The dude was nothing but a shill for the hidden money men.
  • Like 1

In all honesty, we are going to need to start slapping people down and telling them how the fuck it is if we really want to stop this.  Freedom be damned.  People are too motherfucking stupid to do simple things like wear masks to stop a pandemic.  We are already a laughing stock of a country and now Texas is leading the way in being a laughing stock of a state.  God fucking dammit. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

Yep, he always looked the part,  but then he started talking and tweeting and exposed himself for the narrow minded stooge he is.   

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

Unfortunately he isn't up for re-election for a while so we will have to wait this out and continually hammer in how bad Abbott was during the time of Covid. And when he is up, there are few out there as good as Abbott at fundraising so it will be an uphill battle.

If he cared for the state and not his party, he would shut down the state and ask the counties to follow CDC guidelines. But I suspect that once the state was opened there was no going back. 

Cornyn is right. The non-COVID-19 patients in the ICU are probably there for some rest & relaxation. Kick 'em to the curb. Problem solved. 

Seriously Cornyn could be doing some good to rounding up some funding for the hospitals that will soon be hurting for funds. And not just the major hospitals or systems, as it appears that mid sized cities must also being getting hit hard soon.

In all honesty, we are going to need to start slapping people down and telling them how the fuck it is if we really want to stop this.  Freedom be damned.  People are too motherfucking stupid to do simple things like wear masks to stop a pandemic.  We are already a laughing stock of a country and now Texas is leading the way in being a laughing stock of a state.  God fucking dammit. 

So we’re at the top? We’re number 1! We’re number 1!

58 minutes ago, Skyline said:

Unfortunately he isn't up for re-election for a while so we will have to wait this out and continually hammer in how bad Abbott was during the time of Covid. And when he is up, there are few out there as good as Abbott at fundraising so it will be an uphill battle.

If he cared for the state and not his party, he would shut down the state and ask the counties to follow CDC guidelines. But I suspect that once the state was opened there was no going back. 

Abbott has maintained good approval ratings largely because people don't see much from him.  And what they do see, they like.  He's reasonably good-looking.  He's in a wheelchair, so people can feel good about themselves for voting for someone who is "disadvantaged."  And up until March, the economy was going well and everything was hunky-doory.  What's not to like.

Now that Abbott's leadership (or lack thereof) is front-and-center, he can't escape scrutiny.  And I think people who are only now paying attention are starting to see the same craven, power-hungry, vacuous failure that those of us who do pay attention have seen for six years.  

The Dems need two years to let that new reality take hold.  If Abbott were up in November, he'd probably win.  But as it is, the Democrats have two years to further reduce and erode his approval.  Fuck--he's doing a good job of that himself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, justhookit said:

No, he’s wrong on his numbers and I’ve corrected him before but he just keeps at it. At most, Texas is looking at something around  a 20% increase in expected pneumonia deaths. So it’s bad, but not nearly what he keeps trying to claim.

Just stop. Again. What we are dealing with is bad enough without your bullshit fantasy numbers.

Your numbers off fluview weren't even the right ones for the comparison. You were comparing apples to oranges where as I was comparing apples to apples. Dahobbs already explained that, and I already said I'm going to update every week to 2 weeks to see where the numbers of pneumonia as THE PRIMARY cause of death go.  

So you can keep whining even though you were already shown to be wrong and make me have to copy/paste this same post over and over or you can just shut up about it. 

1 hour ago, Wanker Bob said:

Your numbers off fluview weren't even the right ones for the comparison. You were comparing apples to oranges where as I was comparing apples to apples. Dahobbs already explained that, and I already said I'm going to update every week to 2 weeks to see where the numbers of pneumonia as THE PRIMARY cause of death go.  

So you can keep whining even though you were already shown to be wrong and make me have to copy/paste this same post over and over or you can just shut up about it. 

You might want to revisit how that last conversation went. Later i’ll Copy some of those posts to you if that will help. You are likely 100% correct with your theory if you want to apply it to NY or NJ or any of the earlier hot spots. But the numbers don’t fit for Texas. We can’t hide deaths that don’t exist.

If we're going with what the founders intended, then Paxton needs to resign.  This guy has been under indictment since 2015 with no fucking consequences and no trial.  He shouldn't be making claims as to the motivations and beliefs of the founders then telling us that's what we need to follow if he's not willing to fucking follow them himself.  How the fuck did we end up with such pieces of shit in every single elected state wide office?  Mother fucker.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

You know what I love?  These two things:

1) every GOP state that has joined this effort, and the GOP Senate, and certainly Dotard, has repeatedly said the same thing: "Kill Obamacare, so it can be replaced with something better."

2) none of them have proposed a single real replacement, and certainly not one that does what they all promise it will do (be better, cheaper, and cover pre-existing conditions).

They're just completely and entirely full of shit.  They want people to lose coverage.  That is the full extent of their plan.  It doesn't go any farther than that.

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You know what I love?  These two things:

1) every GOP state that has joined this effort, and the GOP Senate, and certainly Dotard, has repeatedly said the same thing: "Kill Obamacare, so it can be replaced with something better."

2) none of them have proposed a single real replacement, and certainly not one that does what they all promise it will do (be better, cheaper, and cover pre-existing conditions).

They're just completely and entirely full of shit.  They want people to lose coverage.  That is the full extent of their plan.  It doesn't go any farther than that.

True. But a lot of the people who will lose coverage are brown, or poor, or both. Maybe a few white trash lose benefits but oh well. So who gives a shit?

3 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

True. But a lot of the people who will lose coverage are brown, or poor, or both. Maybe a few white trash lose benefits but oh well. So who gives a shit?

Actually, a remarkable number of his base will lose coverage.  The same people who rant about "I hate Obamacare -- no worries, I have ACA!"

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Actually, a remarkable number of his base will lose coverage.  The same people who rant about "I hate Obamacare -- no worries, I have ACA!"

Oh I know. But the republicans don’t give a shit about them because they are morons, as you say. 

52 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Don't recall seeing any post here about the 8-1 decision the Supreme Court handed down confirming that, yes, the Republican House violated the law defunding the risk corridor provision of the ACA that was designed to foster competition and prevent monopolies in the early implementation of of the quarter-century delayed, repackaged 1993 Republican counterproposal to the Clinton Universal Healthcare Initiative the GOP became apoplectic in opposition to. 

I'm looking into discovering ways to extend my life-span to finally see your Texas GOP Solution To Healthcare Delivery (and the 49 others) that you will eventually be threatening armed opposition to.

5 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

I'm looking into discovering ways to extend my life-span to finally see your Texas GOP Solution To Healthcare Delivery (and the 49 others)

You'll have to find the key to immortality, because it ain't ever coming.  The GOP has literally zero solutions to the healthcare crisis.  They say some words and shit, but when it comes to actual policies, that can be examined and possibly implemented......nothing....

poof_usual_suspects.gif

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

You'll have to find the key to immortality, because it ain't ever coming.  The GOP has literally zero solutions to the healthcare crisis.  They say some words and shit, but when it comes to actual policies, that can be examined and possibly implemented......nothing....

poof_usual_suspects.gif

Goth Butters- "Howeth can thou critique, that which is uncritique...able."

25 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Don't recall seeing any post here about the 8-1 decision the Supreme Court handed down confirming that, yes, the Republican House violated the law defunding the risk corridor provision of the ACA that was designed to foster competition and prevent monopolies in the early implementation of of the quarter-century delayed, repackaged 1993 Republican counterproposal to the Clinton Universal Healthcare Initiative the GOP became apoplectic in opposition to. 

I'm looking into discovering ways to extend my life-span to finally see your Texas GOP Solution To Healthcare Delivery (and the 49 others) that you will eventually be threatening armed opposition to.

The GOP healthcare plan is to keep things as they are so they can therefore outlive you.

Prove me wrong.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

The GOP healthcare plan is to keep things as they are so they can therefore outlive you.

Prove me wrong.

The GOP health plan is to figure out as many ways as possible to funnel extra money out of the public sector and into the private sectors they can make more money.  As far as actual health care for the citizens of this country I don’t think they care one way or another as long as the corporations involved and Wall Street make enough money (along with the GOP politicians)

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, F250 said:

Listening to the Bexar County news conference. Bexar County is one of the better off Metropolitan areas in Texas and it still sounds like we are going to get fucked.

Considering how lightly people are taking this, that’s what effective leadership looks like. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

more than anything this could turn Texas blue sooner than expected, they really really really fucked this up and Texans are going to die because of it

Abbott is a fucking coward. He’s worse than trump. He knows what the right thing to do is but he is so scared of defying daddy he is trying half measures. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Hes a fucking moron political huckster

FIFY.  Hes already moved on now that the truth is exposing his bullshit.  Hes all about protecting muh monuments and LAW AND ORDER these days.  

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2020/jun/26/birthday-party-leaves-18-in-texas-family-with-coro/

A surprise birthday party that resulted in 18 people testing positive for the coronavirus has left a North Texas man horrified as his father continues to fight for his life in a hospital intensive care unit.

Ron Barbosa, who is married to a doctor and refused to attend the May 30 party for his daughter-in-law because of safety concerns amid the COVID-19 pandemic, said those hospitalized included his parents, both in their 80′s, and his sister, who is also battling breast cancer.

Barbosa said his nephew, unknowingly infected with the virus, hosted last month's gathering of 25 people that only lasted a few hours and followed the state’s latest health standards. During the party, he said the nephew interacted with seven relatives, who subsequently contracted the virus and spread it to 10 other family members, including two young children.

“When people started getting sick, we really let everyone have it,” Barbosa told WFAA-TV. “We knew this was going to happen, I mean, this whole time this has been going on we’ve been terrified.”

Spoiler

Gov. Greg Abbott on Thursday said Texas would halt its aggressive reopening as it deals with a surge in coronavirus cases and hospitalizations that has made the state a virus hot spot. Statewide, the number of COVID-19 patients has more than doubled in two weeks. Texas has reported more than 11,000 new cases in the previous two days alone.

Barbosa's mother, Carole, who stopped by the function to drop something off, tested positive for coronavrius June 6 and was admitted to the hospital a week later.

Barbosa said his father, Frank, who didn't attend the get-together but later contracted COVID-19, was hospitalized June 17. He said his dad is currently “hanging on by a thread” in the ICU while on life support.

“It’s heartbreaking,” Barbosa said, holding back tears.

Frank received a plasma donation Wednesday from a recovered coronavirus patient, according to Barbosa’s Facebook page. Barbosa said he hopes the procedure will save his dad's life.

“Prayers were answered today," Barbosa wrote on Facebook. “Now he (Frank) needs to get well for mom and the Barbosa Family."

Barbosa said his family remains united despite feeling a pendulum of emotions over the past few weeks.

“We were horrified. People couldn’t believe that they took it to a family member,” he said. “But now, we’re holding on together.”

Carole has returned home to recover, according to a Facebook page the family created, which indicated that Barbosa's sister, Kathy, is feeling better and back home to recuperate.

Paddled from the 360 bridge today. Fucktons of people in their 20s in Bull Creek cove partying, tied up 4 deep and 10-15 people per boat. Spreading that shit. Can hardly blame them. If I had a 100k boat and that talent willing to ride in my 20s I would have said fuck it. Lake Travis has also been a cluster fuck. Buckle up yall