Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

10 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Fucking Abilene is defying an order from the governor to close bars?  That shithole town which has like 11 different Church of Christ colleges and which, according to Google, doesn’t even allow hard liquor sales on Sundays (so as not to burn in hell) ... that fucking place is making a stand to keep bars open?  

Everyone in the GOP has lost their fucking minds.   If some Democrat scientist told them abortion clinics had to shut down because of Covid, at this point they’d probably all try to go get abortions and tell the clinic not to use any masks or hand sanitizer in protest.

2 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

Hard liquor sales are barred on Sundays everywhere in Texas. Unless you were referring to bars in which case that isn't true they have bars selling hard liquor on Sundays in Abilene. 

Wife has family there so I've made several trips. It's a weird little town where most of the south side of it looks like it's kept up fairly well while almost the entire north side is decrepit and left to rot. Never seen another place that refuses to spend a dime on half of their town. 

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

The Baptist’s don’t really disapprove of  you buying beer on Sunday mornings, they just want everyone to think that they disapprove of it.

The demon rum crept back into Abilene in 1962 after having been exiled 60 years earlier in one of those periodic spasms of Prohibition that dried up so much of Texas. The thing that returned the demon was a little municipality (you can’t even call it a village) named Impact. Impact lies at the north end of Abilene, just off Old Anson Road, and if one considers Highland Park and Dallas to have a strange symbiosis, think on Abilene the Absolute, and Impact the Impure. Impact consists of a neatly kept area containing the mayor’s home, two big liquor stores, and a grocery where beer can be bought on Sundays. You can box the compass from Impact and all you get is Abilene.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/gods-country-november-1975/https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/gods-country-november-1975/

I remember when Abilene went wet. For most of my childhood there was Impact on the north and Buffalo Gap on the south. My maternal grandmother lived there. I had family all over Taylor county. It is still a little like going back in time when I go there. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

The kids are really regimented on their meals.  We are trying to mimic a summer school session with the 5YO.  So she gets to pick what I grill on sundays.  And she likes to look at the groceries and plan out her “school lunches” for the week on Sundays.  Most families pre-COVID plan their meals out for the week ahead of time and shop accordingly.  We may have to pop in now and again during the week for something one-off, but many families do their grocery shopping on the weekends to prepare for the week.  I don’t think it’s an affront to the Lord to allow me to grab some beer and wine between 9-noon in Sunday’s.  Not asking for liquor stores to be open, just let me do all my grocery shopping In one swoop on the weekend. 

tl;dr  Have a daughter with OCD and daddy needs his medicine

It must suck to be limited to a narrow three hour shopping window for an entire week.  God forbid you are inconvenienced a little bit, instead let’s change the state law. 

12 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

It must suck to be limited to a narrow three hour shopping window for an entire week.  God forbid you are inconvenienced a little bit, instead let’s change the state law. 

Like it or not, during COVID, Sunday mornings are a good time to shop at at my Trader Joe’s because their logistics schedule has them get a huge haul of perishables on Saturday evening.  And the line to get in is short and the store is sparsely populated.  If I’m the only one that thinks beer/wine sales at a store on Sunday morning should be okay to do, then I apologize and I’ll move on.  You seem like a fucking blast at parties.  

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Like it or not, during COVID, Sunday mornings are a good time to shop at at my Trader Joe’s because their logistics schedule has them get a huge haul of perishables on Saturday evening.  And the line to get in is short and the store is sparsely populated.  If I’m the only one that thinks beer/wine sales at a store on Sunday morning should be okay to do, then I apologize and I’ll move on.  You seem like a fucking blast at parties.  

Nah man we’re making fun of you for shopping during the only grocery store hours that they don’t sell alcohol and then complaining about it. I’d like to see broader hours of sale and liquor stores open on Sunday too, but I don’t go online and complain about something I still have complete control over. And I work in logistics and I highly doubt that Saturday night/Sunday morning is when TJs is getting their deliveries of fresh produce lol. Friday/Saturday morning with Monday replenishment is the norm. 

40 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

The demon rum crept back into Abilene in 1962 after having been exiled 60 years earlier in one of those periodic spasms of Prohibition that dried up so much of Texas. The thing that returned the demon was a little municipality (you can’t even call it a village) named Impact. Impact lies at the north end of Abilene, just off Old Anson Road, and if one considers Highland Park and Dallas to have a strange symbiosis, think on Abilene the Absolute, and Impact the Impure. Impact consists of a neatly kept area containing the mayor’s home, two big liquor stores, and a grocery where beer can be bought on Sundays. You can box the compass from Impact and all you get is Abilene.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/gods-country-november-1975/https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/gods-country-november-1975/

I remember when Abilene went wet. For most of my childhood there was Impact on the north and Buffalo Gap on the south. My maternal grandmother lived there. I had family all over Taylor county. It is still a little like going back in time when I go there. 

Cooper or High? Either way, I still have a distinct memory of attending a game at Shotwell in the fall of 1985 when we played High and unexpectedly won, causing the coach to quit mid-season. My high school has always been notoriously bad at football, regardless of classification, but that year was our last as a 5A member of the "Little Southwest Conference" before dropping down to 4A and Sweetwater becoming a bitter rival.

There were actually Clorox wipes at the HEB this morning. I couldn’t believe it. 

In other news my wife made the mistake of watching Pences presser yesterday so was pissed when I got home. I was like why on earth would you subject yourself to that? 

In even more news I cancelled our 10 person outdoor Fourth of July party because trump America is so fucking stupid that our case numbers are actually fucking going up in late June instead of down like just about everywhere else in the world.

Just wanted to keep y’all updated. 

Edited by JimmyJames
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Cooper or High? Either way, I still have a distinct memory of attending a game at Shotwell in the fall of 1985 when we played High and unexpectedly won, causing the coach to quit mid-season. My high school has always been notoriously bad at football, regardless of classification, but that year was our last as a 5A member of the "Little Southwest Conference" before dropping down to 4A and Sweetwater becoming a bitter rival.

I didn't live there. My mom moved out before I was born. I went there often and many formative experiences were had, but it's not where I grew up day to day. I have been a hybrid of country and city. 

The no-booze-on-Sunday-morning thing is really all about regulating others' behavior. Recall, that law is a remnant of the old blue laws forbidding all Sunday commerce because of "the Sabbath is holy" thinking. It's really all about a bunch of overly pious Baptist assholes wanting to control your behavior once out of every seven days.

Experience/expertise level: Raised Southern Baptist in a small town about 100 miles west of Abilene.

18 hours ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

So...the woman who was exposed as a grifter who took PPP money she shouldn't have, and got some nice luxury items from a Go Fund me, is going even bigger and bolder? Guess we should expect no less in the Trump age of no consequences.

And no giving a shit about anybody else.

Greatest. Country. In. The. World.

8 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Had to take a few things to my uncle in Scottsdale this weekend, and Ho Lee Fuck, is that what it looks like in Texas? 

Not exactly. We have trees and grass.

What are you talking about/referring to exactly?

• Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 11:22 AM, Xian said:

I love judge hidalgo our if Harris county. At first I was sad when judge ed lost, but she has proven to be an amazing replacement.   Smart, articulate, and comes off as legitimately caring. 

she has a bright future.  It a shame she was born in Colombia. No chance at being president.  

10 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Not exactly. We have trees and grass.

What are you talking about/referring to exactly?

The only indication that there's a pandemic ravaging us right now is the transportation signs that usually flash something about drunk driving are begging Arizonans to wash hands and wear masks. The signs aren't working, cause masks were few and far between 

This bitch.

94f3773aaf2bc42f7650ca0cbe5ccf93.jpg
cd747d636c85399521175de815d2a8d9.jpg

UPDATE: So, Shelley Luther is promoting an event called “Battle for the Bars: Free Our Bars & Restaurants Protest & Rally! Band Jam Out!” on Sunday, from 4-8 p.m. at the Machine Shed Bar & Grill, 6113 Hwy. 31 in Kilgore (close to Country Tavern). Shelley and her boyfriend Tim Georgeff will be there, although the post doesn’t say if their band will perform.

It appears that Shelley Luther, the Dallas salon owner who pitched a fit and pretty much pushed Gov. Greg Abbott into speeding up the process of re-opening Texas, is putting her newly-founded nonprofit Courage to; Stand to use by throwing a fit over Gov. Greg Abbott’s executive order issued today once again closing down Texas bars to try and stem the rising numbers of COVID-19 infections.

Earlier this afternoon, Luther posted on her Courage To Stand Facebook page, “Texas Bar owners: Let’s work together to stay open!!! Announcement coming!”

Shortly after, she posted again, encouraging people to visit her page on Parler.com, which Wikipedia describes as a “United States-based microblogging and social networking service launched in August 2018, as an alternative to Twitter. It has been noted for its base of Donald Trump supporters and for far-right, conspiracy and anti-Semitic content.”

Luther said in the post that Parler is “a better platform to speak and read real news.”

The post includes a screen-cap of Luther’s Parler page, which describes her as “Founder of Courage to Stand, a non-profit developed to give Americans a voice to fight for freedom, rights, and independence from tyrannical governments. Owner of Salon A La Mode.”

It also shows a Parler post in which Luther declares, “Texas bars will NOT GO DOWN WITHOUT A FIGHT! I hope you’re ready Governor Abbott.”

A recap
Abbott, by the way, is the same governor who in May ordered local officials to stop enforcing the COVID-19-related restrictions — including requirements for places like hair salons to remain closed to stop the spread of the coronavirus — after Luther was cited for opening her hair salon anyway and then sentenced to seven days in jail on contempt of court charges for tearing up the citation. (She was never actually tried for opening the salon in defiance of state and county restrictions.)

Although Luther was taken briefly to jail, she was released about 48 hours later after Abbott had jumped into the fray, scolding Dallas County Judge for actually enforcing the executive order Abbott issued and then amending that executive order retroactively to eliminate the parts that allowed those violating the order to be cited and jailed. The Texas Supreme Court also got in on the act, ordering that she be released.

Abbott followed up by rushing ahead with the “re-open Texas” process, ignoring the benchmarks and warning flags he had, himself, outlined to allow business to re-open much more quickly than had been deemed safe, all in an apparent effort to placate Luther and those like her who declared that COVID-19 safety restrictions infringed on their life, liberty and God-given right to get sick and die, but not before infecting innocent bystanders.

Through it all, the right-wingers flocked to her cause, donating to a GoFundMe page that raised more than $500,000 for the salon owner, who had already received an $18,000 PPP loan (even though the stylists in her salon are neither employees nor private contractors, but instead pay her rent to use the space) and lived on a half-million-dollar ranch with her boyfriend, younger daughter and a bevy of exotic animals. Even when it was revealed that Luther had been recruited by a newly-formed right-wing group looking for someone as a standard-bearer for their efforts to force the state to re-open. Even finding out that Luther did not re-open until after the group approached her and had already set up the GoFundMe, her supporters stuck with Luther and their cause. Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick donated $7,000 to her cause, and U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz showed up at her salon for a (really bad) haircut and some publicity.

Looking for the limelight again
Luther, who said she was using the GoFundMe money to establish her Courage To Stand nonprofit, stayed in the spotlight for a bit longer after the state began to re-open, including a trip to Laredo where she gave a grand total of $2,500 to two women there who had been arrested in April for providing salon services in their own homes and were facing stiff fines and jail sentences much longer than seven days.

But she had been pretty quiet since then — until today when she issued her rallying cry to the bar owners of Texas.
During the initial hearing in Judge Eric Moye’s court in May, Luther insisted that she had to open to the salon because her employees needed to be paid and she had to be able to feed her own children. (As noted already, Luther did not have any employees at the salon, and only one of her two daughters — who is 17 or 18 years old — lives with her.)

Luther said she was initially fighting to be able to feed her children and pay her employees. One would assume that her in upcoming effort to force Abbott to let the bars re-open, she will be fighting for the right to party. It will be interesting to see how Abbott, who championed her cause in May, will respond now that Luther is challenging him directly. One thing’s for sure, he can’t blame this one on Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins or Judge Eric Moye.

That Shelly Luther cooze gave herself a makeover using her patriot eagle freedom gun gfm money. https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/dallas-salon-owner-says-governors-order-to-shut-down-bars-is-discriminatory/287-11eb9dff-7a02-4d80-9052-11ccf08cf326

I hope something really unfortunate happens to her before her 15 minutes expires. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Covri said:

Nah man we’re making fun of you for shopping during the only grocery store hours that they don’t sell alcohol and then complaining about it. I’d like to see broader hours of sale and liquor stores open on Sunday too, but I don’t go online and complain about something I still have complete control over. And I work in logistics and I highly doubt that Saturday night/Sunday morning is when TJs is getting their deliveries of fresh produce lol. Friday/Saturday morning with Monday replenishment is the norm. 

No complaining on surly?  Got it.  

I know, I know.  It’s my tone.  You sound a lot like a woman. I’m glad you work in logistics.  So do I.  Guess what one of my jobs is?   Aldi Foods.  Guess who had a relationship with them?   Trader Joe’s.  
BHC.   We’d love to have your feminine perspective brought to our team.  

I'm in the area so I did a drive by of Emerald Point Marina (the old Carlos and Charlie's). Total shit show. Huge unmasked crowds, bar was packed, band loading down gear for a concert.

I can't imagine Devil's Cove right now. Bring a case of Corona, get free crabs!*

* Do the yutes still get crabs with the absence of bush?

6 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

The Baptist’s don’t really disapprove of  you buying beer on Sunday mornings, they just want everyone to think that they disapprove of it.

They have to wait till after church to buy theirs so you should have to too. Plus they have to pretend not to see the beer in the other Baptists’ carts. Have some compassion 

10 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

What text alert?

The one that said hospitals were being overwhelmed and people should stay at home. I was in North Bexar county when I got one. A friend told me they got one in Harris county.

14 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

Hard liquor sales are barred on Sundays everywhere in Texas. Unless you were referring to bars in which case that isn't true they have bars selling hard liquor on Sundays in Abilene. 

Wife has family there so I've made several trips. It's a weird little town where most of the south side of it looks like it's kept up fairly well while almost the entire north side is decrepit and left to rot. Never seen another place that refuses to spend a dime on half of their town. 

Great Great grandparents came from mexico in 1931 and decided Abilene is where they should set up shop. Hate that damn town