Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

Till the next spike.  Unfortunately we’re riding the waves until a vaccination is available.  I don’t think compliance is in the makeup of the population, unfortunately.  It’s served us well in the past but right now its killing us, literally.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 10:21 AM, Born to Run said:
On 7/14/2020 at 6:50 AM, Okie State said:
I still have people tell me they hate Trump, but they're not sure they can vote Biden because of 'policy'. Seriously? We're going to pretend this is about policy at this point? How about we get rid of that prick first and then we can worry about policy.

How about we return to the president running the executive and let the legislative branch fucking legislate policy. The fact that we put the entire direction of our country on the hopes of one person is insane and part of the problem. Obama shouldn't have had to create DACA, Congress should have long ago.

But were you ok with Obama creating DACA?

• Fuck You 1

20 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We're connected with my son's exchange-brother in Germany on social media etc.  He's been posting pictures of going hiking with his friends and whatnot.  In other words, they're all back to living relatively functional lives.  While we're busy helping the initial fire flare up like a motherfucker again.  

We are so goddamned stupid.

Yea, my mom talks to her mom in Germany daily.  They are still being careful, but using common damn sense.  Mask wearing is mandatory and they don't fuck around unlike here.  My family is in Bavaria, $150 Euro fine first offense, doubles the second offense.  They have it under control, and are able to do most normal things.  

One of the kids I coached soccer met a girl in college that's from Italy.  He went over to Italy with her before Covid broke and got stuck when all the travel shit hit.  At first we thought it was fucking tragedy.  He is still over there and laughing at all of us now.  I just talked to his dad last week and said all hes doing is swimming in the med and eating ridiculous food while his rich girlfriend's parents bankroll their good time.  
Pics aren't showing up, maybe try tapa?

Corpus Christi Beaches Expected to Close Again

Nueces County beaches and Corpus Christi beaches and parks will most likely be closed until further notice starting today, July 15, to help prevent the spread of the virus that causes COVID-19.

After a record 605 cases were reported on Tuesday, July 14, Nueces County Judge Barbara Canales said she and other leaders in the area asked the General Land Office for guidance in how to restrict access and discourage out-of-town visitors for the foreseeable future.

It's 1 day, but 605 cases would put them a bit under 200/100k population, that's the #1 hot spot in Texas and it aint even close. Victoria was 2nd highest with a 100/100k population 7 day average.

I can't imagine any sane people wanting to travel to Port A/Corpus right now, but my wife read me a post on a mom's FB group about someone wanting dog friendly accommodations down there so they could go to the beach. Also, a FB friend of hers just had to travel to "her happy place" for July 4th. Strangely her 2 daughters started throwing up this weekend, having headaches and high temps. Pull out the symptom book for the rona: check check check. She took them to the doctor yesterday and doc was like yep, you got the rona, let's swab and confirm. Covidiot.

Here's their slides with daily counts from yesterday, I bet today's exciting also.

Edited by relapse98

54 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

One of the kids I coached soccer met a girl in college that's from Italy.  He went over to Italy with her before Covid broke and got stuck when all the travel shit hit.  At first we thought it was fucking tragedy.  He is still over there and laughing at all of us now.  I just talked to his dad last week and said all hes doing is swimming in the med and eating ridiculous food while his rich girlfriend's parents bankroll their good time.  

God damn that sounds awesome.

1 hour ago, TXSG8R said:

Trrruuuuuummp!!! 

spacer.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bolverk said:

Yeah, he was (is) for the most part. I think he's just become really bitter in the last few years.

When all of your illusions about the world dissolve, you can either learn from that and grow as a person or you can double down on the illusions anyway and lash out at everyone and everything that doesn't maintain them. When the bothsidesareequallyawful illusion died, he chose the latter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TXSG8R said:

does he need a wingman ?

• Like 1

Some good news..... cases and hospitalizations are down some so that's good.  Still a 16.7% positivity rate and obviously the fatalities are following, coming off the last two weeks of high numbers.  Unfortunately fatalities are mostly likely going to remain high for a couple of weeks but possibly flattening the curve OR, we're limited by testing capabilities.  43k isn't bad, but it's not great either. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

When all of your illusions about the world dissolve, you can either learn from that and grow as a person or you can double down on the illusions anyway and lash out at everyone and everything that doesn't maintain them. When the bothsidesareequallyawful illusion died, he chose the latter.

I'm ashamed to admit I had never heard of the "Lost Cause" movement until the UDC building caught fire. I'm ashamed that I was completely unaware of the levels of racism that still exist on the UT campus being a graduate. I'm ashamed that when BLM first started, I was too ignorant to understand the importance behind that message because my historical view (white guy from southwest Houston. One of the only 2 in my neighborhood) wouldn't allow that comprehension. 

The difference is I'm mad at myself and those who've had a role in my upbringing for not educating me enough on these issues. So I research, watch documentaries and interviews from the past. I revisit figures in history whom I once had a different opinion on.

What you're seeing today is some people going through the same experience but instead of confronting it within themselves, they lash out at others. 

You couldn't have been more spot on. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Some good news..... cases and hospitalizations are down some so that's good.  Still a 16.7% positivity rate and obviously the fatalities are following, coming off the last two weeks of high numbers.  Unfortunately fatalities are mostly likely going to remain high for a couple of weeks but possibly flattening the curve OR, we're limited by testing capabilities.  43k isn't bad, but it's not great either. 

Dan Patrick is ok with those people dying for the economy !

Anecdotal but I’ve noticed an uptick in beggars around Houston lately. While it’s frequent to see them at intersections asking for money, I now see more and more trolling parking lots even as going as far as to knock on windows of people waiting in their cars.

as with any financial crisis, the lowest in the economic scale ultimately face the most pain. I imagine many have gone thru any meager savings, pawned items, taken out “pay day” loans, borrowed from friends/family, and dodged landlords. Begging or crime might be their remaining options.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

Temporary Beach Curfew for all beaches in Nueces County until August 1

The title is a bit misleading, hiding the lead of:

• RULES: No social gatherings, lying down, camping, sitting, tents or chairs. 

Which means, beach closed, basically. You can go walk and run and walk out and get in the ocean and swim, but when you come out, you best be standing.

Though no sane person would travel to Texas' #1 hotspot Nueces County at this point, so it's somewhat moot.

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Anecdotal but I’ve noticed an uptick in beggars around Houston lately. While it’s frequent to see them at intersections asking for money, I now see more and more trolling parking lots even as going as far as to knock on windows of people waiting in their cars.

as with any financial crisis, the lowest in the economic scale ultimately face the most pain. I imagine many have gone thru any meager savings, pawned items, taken out “pay day” loans, borrowed from friends/family, and dodged landlords. Begging or crime might be their remaining options.

The eviction moratorium expired in May and extensions to single family homes was extended to end of June, so we're getting towards 30/60 days from those notices, I would expect more and more Texans (and Americans) to unfortunately become homeless.  The unemployment kicker is running out at the end of the month.  It's terrible times for Americans, but hey, at least the stock market is back green again!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gmr548 said:
6 hours ago, TXSG8R said:

Pics aren't showing up, maybe try tapa?

I haven’t seen a pic of her yet actually. I’ll ask his buddy Dre the next house we wire. Knowing Marcell, she’s probably a smoke show. He’s a 6’3” chiseled soccer player, his dad is built like a tank. He has to be doing something right to get an entire summer in Italy for free. 

7 hours ago, TXSG8R said:

Rules man.

Lets see those pics!

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

I haven’t seen a pic of her yet actually. I’ll ask his buddy Dre the next house we wire. Knowing Marcell, she’s probably a smoke show. He’s a 6’3” chiseled soccer player, his dad is built like a tank. He has to be doing something right to get an entire summer in Italy for free. 

Pics of the chick man.

The NPR description of the dude is not what we wanted.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The eviction moratorium expired in May and extensions to single family homes was extended to end of June, so we're getting towards 30/60 days from those notices, I would expect more and more Texans (and Americans) to unfortunately become homeless.  The unemployment kicker is running out at the end of the month.  It's terrible times for Americans, but hey, at least the stock market is back green again!

That piss will trickle down tho!

9 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Abbott continues to suck as easily predicted.  

I have come to your defense multiple times, and I despise Abbott, but wtf is this? Just a random drive by not referring to anything specific, other than possibly linking Abbott with the high numbers yesterday? Thats not helping the discourse (if it can be called that) here

8 minutes ago, texastough said:

I have come to your defense multiple times, and I despise Abbott, but wtf is this? Just a random drive by not referring to anything specific, other than possibly linking Abbott with the high numbers yesterday? Thats not helping the discourse (if it can be called that) here

Hugo takes every opportunity he can to shit on anything Texas, despite LA having 2x 6x as many deaths per capita and a much more geographic compact region to deal with. 

Edited by Anastasis
2x cases per 100k, >6x deaths per 100k.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, texastough said:

Okay, let me clarify.  I just watched Abbott on the TV give some ham handed “We’re not doing a lockdown as long as everyone wears a mask.”  

It’s just more blame shifting and avoiding responsibility on his part.  Texas deaths are about to explode and the hospitals are about to be overrun.  The man is a moron.

Is that better? 

• Like 6

I'm going to add, that Lt. Dan is doing little to assist Abbott with the response. He is still touring Fox with the BLM/Antifa protest diatribes. He's the lieutenant governor for Pete's sake, the second in command and is useless. Second largest population and he is as useful as gum on my shoe.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Shark circling in the water...

Edit to add--I have doubts that Lt. Dan is pushing for governor. He can coast a lot more as Lt. Gov and let someone else take the heat.

My guess is that Patrick is first eyeing any cabinet openings if Trump wins. He has set himself up as Trump's best buddy in Texas since Trump can't stand Cruz and most likely dislikes Cornyn (weak #s) and Abbott (weak on Trump's view of COVID.) Assuming a cabinet role doesn't occur, I find it hard to believe he will openly challenge a sitting GOP governor. Too much risk there. Behind the scenes he might fight with Abbott to convince Abbott to retire.

Of course seeing the make-up of the state legislature after November could also impact both of their plans.  

in other words, who knows.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

He really is a carpetbagger Land Shark and your points resonate. He's def Trump's man in Texas, makes one wonder though with Texas becoming more in play, how long Patrick can soothe the fears.

I really wish my guy, (D-17) had a shot at winning a seat in the House. He is big on getting rid of Citizens United and campaign finance reform.

Lt Dan is good at funneling money to himself from various sources.

Sorry for derailing, back to re-opening.....

Abbott can always move on to a Federal Judgeship.  Dan Patrick's ceiling is the Governor's Mansion.  And if 2020 is any indication, it'd be very difficult for him to win that race if the Democrats could put up somebody worth voting for.  He's an intellectual lightweight that would get his ass handed to him in the U.S. Congress, so running for a Senate seat is a non-starter and the only way Cruz vacates his seat is if he gets appointed to the Supreme Court.

49 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Abbott can always move on to a Federal Judgeship.  Dan Patrick's ceiling is the Governor's Mansion.  And if 2020 is any indication, it'd be very difficult for him to win that race if the Democrats could put up somebody worth voting for.  He's an intellectual lightweight that would get his ass handed to him in the U.S. Congress, so running for a Senate seat is a non-starter and the only way Cruz vacates his seat is if he gets appointed to the Supreme Court.

Have you seen republicans in Congress? The impeachment hearings? They're almost all intellectual lightweights and completely corrupt criminals. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Lobo said:

5 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

Have you seen republicans in Congress? The impeachment hearings? They're almost all intellectual lightweights and completely corrupt criminals. 

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

There are some legit morons in the Senate and House.  No one is too stupid for either body in the current climate.

This man has been in the US congress for 15 years.

420x0.jpg

Intelligence is not a requirement.

You have to be an American citizen for at least 7 years, 25 years old, and must live in the state your district is in ... and that's it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Chewy's Hairy Horn said:

I keep hearing rumors that Abbot will order a shutdown this Friday.  Of course, it’s second hand from a municipal attorney and conversation on the Ticket in Dallas.  So take that for what exactly what it’s worth.

That would take a modicum political courage so.....

i don't believe you anchorman GIF

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chewy's Hairy Horn said:

I keep hearing rumors that Abbot will order a shutdown this Friday.  Of course, it’s second hand from a municipal attorney and conversation on the Ticket in Dallas.  So take that for what exactly what it’s worth.

Been hearing this since last weekend. I don't see it happening tomorrow. He would have an announcement by now, I would hope, so preparations can be made by people and businesses. But how shittily this has been handled from the beginning, I wouldn't be surprised if Abbott makes a surprise announcement.

Louisiana is in terrible shape too.  2000+ new reported cases per day the last few days. 

Sadly, I’ve come to the conclusion many folks aren’t going to take this seriously until it personally impacts them but the lack of a new stay at home order doesn’t help either. 

• Like 1

I'm hearing this Friday thing from a few places.
What do we think he is going to shut down?

I think a good start would be closing restaurants, or only allowing spaced out outdoor dining.

Closing amusement parks, rivers and beaches - those last 2 are safe, by themselves, it's everything else around doing them that's the problem. The outfitters in NB have pretty much maintained their business, just with less expense to them now as they charge the tubers to park and then tell them to figure out their own way back - either pay to park a car at the end at some other outfitter, or something else. Schlitterbahn - they are trying, but there's no way to make those lines safe. The beaches? Nueces County is doing great in their number of cases if you like hockey sticks.

Edited by relapse98

I think if Greggy does try any more shut downs, the legislature might work their way towards an impeachment.
Since we aren't in session, it would take either:

Proclamation of the speaker following the submission of a written petition signed by at least 50 members of the House.
   or

Proclamation signed by a majority of the members of the House. There are 150 members of the Texas State House.

I think the House might actually try and get to that 50 member count. 83 Republicans, entirely possible they could get 50.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

I think if Greggy does try any more shut downs, the legislature might work their way towards an impeachment.

This would be so 2020.  Can't impeach the president for horrifying shit, but try to shut down bars in Texas?  Impeach the governor.  Not defending Abbot here, but come on.

• Like 4